What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 | Cronulla 0-18 Newcastle @ Toyota | Saturday 23rd July | Kick-off 7.30pm

Sharks vs Knights (R20)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nuffy

Bench
Just watched the game, where was that commitment the last two weeks.

The defence held and the attack showed some signs although Mullo seems to be really struggling mentally, his reaction after the Uate try was illustrative, he's just not enjoying himself. He needs to find a way of relaxing otherwise it will get worse, not better for him.

Tets did ok on debut and De gois was good, in fact the forwards all were solid including Ciraldo as much as it kills me to say it.

Additionally, I think lulia offers more at centre than the dog, shame he couldn't stay.

Gids overplayed his hand again but i think he feels the weight of expectations, when he gets some help such as Boyd, I think he'll ease off and be better for it.

Last edited:
Much better performance. We are marching forward but still a way to go. We need the wins and a much higher F and A. No relaxing against the Tits. Treat them with respect.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I also wonder what happened to Filipo (sorry overseas). Tonight was about getting
Tying some respect back. We did with a gritty win but obvious we won't trouble the big boys this year.

on the Mullen thing, it's hard for the bloke to come back in after a fairly long term injury and Expect to pick up where he left off. Many of us were saying he was a NSW player before he got hurt.

In the last 2 of3 games our pack has been rubbish, so even the best will struggle. Tonight it sounded like our forwards aimed up, how did he go?

Matt23

Staff member
I also wonder what happened to Filipo (sorry overseas). Tonight was about getting
Tying some respect back. We did with a gritty win but obvious we won't trouble the big boys this year.

on the Mullen thing, it's hard for the bloke to come back in after a fairly long term injury and Expect to pick up where he left off. Many of us were saying he was a NSW player before he got hurt.

In the last 2 of3 games our pack has been rubbish, so even the best will struggle. Tonight it sounded like our forwards aimed up, how did he go?
Mullen was again sub par (his kicking in particular) and he appeared to have injured his shoulder/pec again

Serc

First Grade
He was still healthy when he went back to NSW Cup, wasn't he?

Well I'm not going to go back through all the NSW Cup team lists from round 12 onwards and compare them to how many times Ciraldo has been picked in first grade in that period...but I'm pretty sure that Filipo has been injured for most of the time (though someone like Pika would know better, as he was the only source for anyone in here even knowing that Filipo was injured in the first place!)

Doesn't seem like a Filipo conspiracy if that's what you're hinting at.

RHCP

Bench
No not at all, just I hope that he doesn't end back in Centurions if he maintains strong performances.

Serc

First Grade
We'll fine out in due course no doubt!

Ok stats time:

We completed 32 from 37 tonight (86%) - very impressive! (thats the sort of completion stat that Melbourne has every week)

Hilder 135m (18 runs, 1 line break)
Kaufusi 133m (14 runs)

Gidley 116m (14 runs)
Edwards 115m (14 runs)
Tetavano 107m (11 runs)

Sau 96m (13 runs)
Fa'aoso 94m (9 runs)

2 offloads to Gidley, Houston and Taufua

1 try assist to Lulia and Gidley

Tackle breaks
Gidley 6
Hilder 4
Edwards 3

Mullen made 578m from 17 kicks (that is pretty much the same sort of long kicking stats he was churning out at the start of the year)

De Gois made 8 dummy half runs for 69m

Forwards hitup stats
Kaufusi 11 for 102m (49 mins)
Taufua 10 for 72m (31 mins)
Houston 9 for 65m (80 mins)
Fa'aoso 7 for 64m (35 mins)
Edwards 8 for 64m (46 mins)
Hilder 9 for 62m (57 mins)
Sau 5 for 43m (80 mins)
Tetavano 4 for 38m (27 mins)
Karawana 3 for 27m (29 mins)
Ciraldo 3 for 27m (53 mins)

Tackles
De Gois 40 (missed 3)
Ciraldo 38 (missed 4)
Houston 26 (missed 4)
Hilder 25 (missed 1)
Edwards 25 (missed 4)
Mullen 24 (missed 1)

Missed tackles
Stig 5 (made 11)
Sau 5 (made 12)

Others of note
Uate made 7 tackles and missed none
Kaufusi made 19 tackles and missed none

Kaufusi's and Hilders stats read pretty well this week:
Kaufusi - 14 runs for 133m, 19 tackles with 0 missed
Hilder - 18 runs for 135m, 4 tackle breaks, 1 line break, 26 tackles with 1 missed

Edit: Should include Tetevano's stats on debut
Tetevano - 11 runs for 107m, 8 tackles and 1 missed in 27 mins

Also, here's Stone's press conference with Gidley:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/mullen-039might-need-scans039/video-e6frf3ou-1226100540331

Mentions that Fa'aoso has a grade 1 hamstring strain (and will probably miss next week), but will have Tolar, Tuimavave, Costigan and maybe even Mad Dog back next week

Last edited:

jonno_knights

Juniors
Well if Faas only misses a week we could be fullstrength bar wes (not too bad with Maddog and Lulia to replace him) heading into rnd 22 with Taia due back.

Seems though we still cant get through a week without picking up more injuries though.

Rolla

Juniors
107m in only 27 minutes is impressive. Put Tets down as another successful debut for 2011.

Spot On

Coach
I think Faas needs a rest anyway. Will do him good hopefully. His kamakaze stuff has dropped off since the Dragons game. Hopefully Stig and Tyrone in the halves next week.

Spot On

Coach
On the ladder, the Cowboys loss was huge. However, the next two weeks are must wins and will most likely determine whether or not we play a semi this year. The Gold Coast and then Canberra both at home. Most of the teams around us are playing top five sides and if form holds up those sides should lose. It will be very beneficial if Souths and the Panthers lose today as well.

Rolla

Juniors
Well done to Aku on his defence last night. He came out and creamed a couple but i also like when they hade an overlap and he managed to tackle their 5/8, then their centre, then nearly put their winger into touch.

Another well done for his try, instead of just running to the line and putting the ball down he had to beat (bloody fijians) the defender and make it interesting.... got him suspended in the process too. Must say though, he is lucky nobody can stop him one on one, otherwise he might look a tad silly.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Mullen's long kicking was top shelf.
The less said about his short kicking the better.

He appears to be getting involved to much in the fancy stuff (banana kicks, running angles then kicking in the opposite direction). What's ever wrong with doing a wobbly grubber kick into the in goal?

Serc

First Grade
I'm trying to think of the last time Mullen tried a grubber kick (or any sort of kick) with the aim of trying and get a repeat set...Stig, even though he is a little telegraphed at times, has been a breath of fresh air in this area.