What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 - Rabbitohs vs Roosters: Friday 25th September 7:55pm @ANZ Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Righteo, time to move on from a bad week last week and look towards this week clash which is a big one. We go up against the old foe in the Roosters. I don't think I need to ramble on about how much this clash means because we all know. I will say this though, hate is a strong word but when it comes to describling how I feel about the Roosters, it simply isn't strong enough. 112 years of hate and my blood boils whenever we play these wankers. I'm sure this week will be no different in a pretty big clash due to it being our last hit out before Finals.

I have to admit, as much as it pains me to say it, the Roosters are an extremely quality side and will be very hard to beat at this time of the year. I'm sure they will rest more players for this one but we're still most likely going to have to contend with the likes of the Morris twins, Manu, Tedesco, Keary, Taukeiaho, Friend and Waerea-Hargraves. It's so hard to pick out a key battle because they have so much strike right across the board. Therefore, I'm gonna say we just have to be on right across the board, especially in defence.

For us, I've seen a lot of people saying this result doesn't matter so we'll already have one eye on Finals. Well, I disagree. We're playing the Roosters for god sake! It's the biggest rivalry in the game! We're playing the arch rivals, one week out from Finals with a real need to fire up and put in a good performance so this game means a hell of a lot to me! This is the week we have to fire up and really ramp it up. We have to go into the Finals with some sort of momentum. Oh and did I mention? Sixth spot is still up for grabs so there's heaps to play for! Playing the Roosters and not firing up, that just won't happen! However, I do think it will be a bit of a balancing act for the boys. We don't want to make the same mistake as we did in this game last year where we showed all our cards, had a big win but then crashed and burned the week later in the Finals when it really mattered. So yea, bit of a balancing act this week. I'll tell you what though, our ball handling and defence has to improve massively! We have to at least give ourselves a chance in this one.

So yea, time to fire up!! We're coming for our arch rivals and I know we can do this!! Let's stick it to these Bondi wankers!!!

Travitoh

First Grade
Feels a lot like rd 25 last season.
Souths will come out and fire shots in a match that will ultimately mean nothing. Newcastle will win the game before and seal 5th.
Easts will go through the motions with their only goal being get through 80 minutes unscathed.

assess5

Juniors
Feels a lot like rd 25 last season.
Souths will come out and fire shots in a match that will ultimately mean nothing. Newcastle will win the game before and seal 5th.
Easts will go through the motions with their only goal being get through 80 minutes unscathed.
Yep, I agree, and the way this coronavirus has interfered with the whole thing, I'm kinda glad its over.

callmack1

Staff member
Training Gallery - Round 20: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/20/training-round-20/

From Sporting News,

Michael Ennis labels South Sydney Rabbitohs forward Liam Knight as a 'liability'

After a loss to the Canterbury Bulldogs on Thursday night, many are beginning to question the premiership credentials of the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The red and green had put together some strong performances in recent weeks, highlighted by a 38-0 drubbing of Parramatta back in round 16.

But now head coach Wayne Bennett has been left questioning his side's attitude, and with only one round left until finals, they need to turn things around quickly.

Former Origin hooker Michael Ennis said on Big League Wrap on Sunday night that errors are costing the Rabbitohs in crucial moments.

"Wayne spoke to us mid-season and said our biggest challenge was not beating ourselves," he said.

"It’s errors – they had 14 the night against Melbourne Storm; seven second-half errors against the Wests Tigers that started the onslaught of their comeback.

"And on the weekend, 12 errors in the game the other night against the Bulldogs."

Canterbury were stuck in 16th spot on the NRL ladder before their shock win, and there was one man who hurt finals-bound Bunnies.

Liam Knight was one of the Rabbitohs better forwards in 2019 and was rewarded with a contract extension, but has gone backwards this season.

And according to Ennis, the 25-year old has become a liability for the side and may be forced out with Junior Tatola returning from injury next week.

“One person that is becoming a liability to some degree is Liam Knight," he said.

"If you go back to that Melbourne game, he was part of an error right on the stroke of half-time that let Justin Olam score and turn the momentum. He has had some captain’s challenges, he has had some errors and another two the other night.

'It just puts his side under enormous pressure, and in the big games you just can’t afford to give quality opposition cheap ball. When the game seems to get frantic, Knight seems to look for a rushed offload or he tries to force a pass or he will shoot out of the line and hit someone high.

"He is best when he is nice and composed, thinking simple, running straight – he did that at times throughout the start of the year, he was really good for them.

"Over the last couple of weeks he has had a couple of whoopsies, and he is going to have to get them out of his game because he is putting his side under immense pressure.

"They need Tatola back. That one-two punch of Tom Burgess and Junior Tatola, they have really missed him."

Tatola's impending return comes after the Rabbitohs welcomed back Hame Sele from a lengthy absence.

South Sydney will take on local rivals the Sydney Roosters in the final round of the season, before a likely showdown with the Knights in the first week of the finals.

I think this is a fair call from Ennis. Knighty has been very error prone this year and it has killed us on a number of occasions. It's not through a lack of skill, we all know how good Liam can be (look at last year), it seems to be more a lack of focus and game awareness at crucial times. Either way, it's simply not good enough and he needs to sort it out. He can't afford to do it on Friday night.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted Line Up for Round 20,

1. Allan
2. Johnston
3. Graham
4. Cartwright
5. Gagai
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Murray
12. Sironen
13. Knight

14. Nicholls
15. Sele
16. Koloamatangi
17. Mago

I am so undecided about whether or not we should rest players, I can see the argument for both sides. However, I just have a feeling that we'll go into this one with the best seventeen possible. Win last week, and maybe it's a different story but I have a feeling that Wayne will decide that resting players is a luxury we sadly haven't earnt. This is a game against the arch rivals, sixth could be up for grabs and a win over the Roosters would make our potential path to a Prelim much easier. So this is a big game no doubt so I don't think we'll rest players. I'd rather go into the Finals with a bit of momentum and give our bench more minutes/manage training loads throughout the week.

Anyway, I think Jed will keep that spot in the centres which will see Gags return on the wing. Tatola comes straight back into the side, Murray shifts to an edge and Knight goes to lock with mago coming onto the bench.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

handyman2190

Bench
Training Gallery - Round 20: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/20/training-round-20/

From Sporting News,

Michael Ennis labels South Sydney Rabbitohs forward Liam Knight as a 'liability'

After a loss to the Canterbury Bulldogs on Thursday night, many are beginning to question the premiership credentials of the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The red and green had put together some strong performances in recent weeks, highlighted by a 38-0 drubbing of Parramatta back in round 16.

But now head coach Wayne Bennett has been left questioning his side's attitude, and with only one round left until finals, they need to turn things around quickly.

Former Origin hooker Michael Ennis said on Big League Wrap on Sunday night that errors are costing the Rabbitohs in crucial moments.

"Wayne spoke to us mid-season and said our biggest challenge was not beating ourselves," he said.

"It’s errors – they had 14 the night against Melbourne Storm; seven second-half errors against the Wests Tigers that started the onslaught of their comeback.

"And on the weekend, 12 errors in the game the other night against the Bulldogs."

Canterbury were stuck in 16th spot on the NRL ladder before their shock win, and there was one man who hurt finals-bound Bunnies.

Liam Knight was one of the Rabbitohs better forwards in 2019 and was rewarded with a contract extension, but has gone backwards this season.

And according to Ennis, the 25-year old has become a liability for the side and may be forced out with Junior Tatola returning from injury next week.

“One person that is becoming a liability to some degree is Liam Knight," he said.

"If you go back to that Melbourne game, he was part of an error right on the stroke of half-time that let Justin Olam score and turn the momentum. He has had some captain’s challenges, he has had some errors and another two the other night.

'It just puts his side under enormous pressure, and in the big games you just can’t afford to give quality opposition cheap ball. When the game seems to get frantic, Knight seems to look for a rushed offload or he tries to force a pass or he will shoot out of the line and hit someone high.

"He is best when he is nice and composed, thinking simple, running straight – he did that at times throughout the start of the year, he was really good for them.

"Over the last couple of weeks he has had a couple of whoopsies, and he is going to have to get them out of his game because he is putting his side under immense pressure.

"They need Tatola back. That one-two punch of Tom Burgess and Junior Tatola, they have really missed him."

Tatola's impending return comes after the Rabbitohs welcomed back Hame Sele from a lengthy absence.

South Sydney will take on local rivals the Sydney Roosters in the final round of the season, before a likely showdown with the Knights in the first week of the finals.

I think this is a fair call from Ennis. Knighty has been very error prone this year and it has killed us on a number of occasions. It's not through a lack of skill, we all know how good Liam can be (look at last year), it seems to be more a lack of focus and game awareness at crucial times. Either way, it's simply not good enough and he needs to sort it out. He can't afford to do it on Friday night.
This article is correct, knight makes too many mistakes and at cruicial times, sam needs to give him a talking to

Rabbit57

Juniors
Here's my predicted Line Up for Round 20,

1. Allan
2. Johnston
3. Graham
4. Cartwright
5. Gagai
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Murray
12. Sironen
13. Knight

14. Nicholls
15. Sele
16. Koloamatangi
17. Mago

I am so undecided about whether or not we should rest players, I can see the argument for both sides. However, I just have a feeling that we'll go into this one with the best seventeen possible. Win last week, and maybe it's a different story but I have a feeling that Wayne will decide that resting players is a luxury we sadly haven't earnt. This is a game against the arch rivals, sixth could be up for grabs and a win over the Roosters would make our potential path to a Prelim much easier. So this is a big game no doubt so I don't think we'll rest players. I'd rather go into the Finals with a bit of momentum and give our bench more minutes/manage training loads throughout the week.

Anyway, I think Jed will keep that spot in the centres which will see Gags return on the wing. Tatola comes straight back into the side, Murray shifts to an edge and Knight goes to lock with mago coming onto the bench.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow.
I don’t think we have the luxury of resting players. We need to show we can compete with the best if we are going to go into the finals with confidence.

This is the perfect dress rehearsal to put our best on display and get combinations right

callmack1

Staff member
Round 20 Line Up vs Roosters: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/22/round-20-line-up-vs-roosters/

Pretty happy with that Line Up! Although it's not quite what I was expecting, it's still pretty solid I feel. Paulo retains his spot on the wing, Cartwright into the right edge second row spot and Tatola still named in the reserves (is hopefully right to play). I expect the team will change before Friday night.

So yea, good Line Up and I think it's best no one is rested. We need some momentum.

callmack1

Staff member
"It's a great milestone to achieve" - Gagai: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/22/dane-gagai-media-round-20/

Didn't realise Gags was playing his 200th this week. Congrats to him!! Huge achievement and that will certainly add to what will already be a massive occasion.

"We've put in a really good week at training" - Murray: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/22/cameron-murray-media-round-20/

"You want to be playing against the top teams" - Burgess: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/22/thomas-burgess-media-round-20/

handyman2190

Bench
Round 20 Line Up vs Roosters: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/22/round-20-line-up-vs-roosters/

Pretty happy with that Line Up! Although it's not quite what I was expecting, it's still pretty solid I feel. Paulo retains his spot on the wing, Cartwright into the right edge second row spot and Tatola still named in the reserves (is hopefully right to play). I expect the team will change before Friday night.

So yea, good Line Up and I think it's best no one is rested. We need some momentum.
I disagree, i call a spade a spade, cartwright hasnt made the penrith team for a reason, so far he has dropped 2 cruicial balls and bombed a certain try, im not impressed, i know its been a while since he has played, he also needs to bulk up, nichols when he first came was too thin but he has filled up and plays better for it. We need tatola and his injury highlights our lack of props.
Dillon and dennis definately need to go, marsters defence needs work but id give him another year, we need to find more backups.
Honestly it will be a cricket score friday,unfortunately, and out of finals first game,hope im wrong so u can all laugh at me

NovoBunny94

Juniors
I sense Souths, even with the inclusion of Jai Arrow to be below par the next couple of seasons. We haven't got the balance in our roster or the desire/energy to compete with the benchmark teams re Penrith, Roosters & Storm. If we want to be a powerhouse again we really need to off Gagai, Burns and a couple others and sign PROPS and blokes not afraid to give a bit. We lost more than we thought when Sam retired. Inglis leaving the same year didn't help either.
Big decisions coming up in the coming years with Reyno in his twilight years, Cody is getting old... Cook etc...
Still can't believe we lost to the Bulldogs....

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I disagree, i call a spade a spade, cartwright hasnt made the penrith team for a reason, so far he has dropped 2 cruicial balls and bombed a certain try, im not impressed, i know its been a while since he has played, he also needs to bulk up, nichols when he first came was too thin but he has filled up and plays better for it. We need tatola and his injury highlights our lack of props.
Dillon and dennis definately need to go, marsters defence needs work but id give him another year, we need to find more backups.
Honestly it will be a cricket score friday,unfortunately, and out of finals first game,hope im wrong so u can all laugh at me
Yeah I'm not that keen on Cartright either, and still can't figure out why Bennett would shift Marsters from the right side, where he was killing it, to the left side, where he got torched, and then suddenly wants Cartwright to play left centre. That bothers me.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I sense Souths, even with the inclusion of Jai Arrow to be below par the next couple of seasons. We haven't got the balance in our roster or the desire/energy to compete with the benchmark teams re Penrith, Roosters & Storm. If we want to be a powerhouse again we really need to off Gagai, Burns and a couple others and sign PROPS and blokes not afraid to give a bit. We lost more than we thought when Sam retired. Inglis leaving the same year didn't help either.
Big decisions coming up in the coming years with Reyno in his twilight years, Cody is getting old... Cook etc...
Have Faith, we were killing them when Latrell got going, he finally started to figure out what he needed to do, and got match fitness. Add James Roberts in there, I still have some faith he can add to the backline.
Latrell
AJ
Campbell
Jimmy
Gags
is a hell backline if they can consistently stay on the park

Honestly, adding Jai Arrow to our fowards rotation won't make us worse, and Knight can be in reserve grade if he doesn't shape up.

But I agree, next year may not be our year either, but after that, we got a ton of money comming off the books, Gagai, Burns, Jimmy, Lowe is close to $2mil. I hope Melbourne force the Fox to stay for his contract, if so, we will be able to afford him after next season

Yeah Cody and Reynolds are getting close to the end of their windows, I just wish Suaali would stop stuffing us around so we know where to go from here

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
And I'm getting over seeing Paulo, I know the kid is only young, but OVERALL, he hasn't shown anything special that makes me think this guy is a keeper. He'll be another Talaki, Fuimaiono type player.

What is it with Bennett having this fascination with fringe players who don't have it? Burns, Paulo, Cartwright, you might even add Knight to that list.

Call me impatient, but they don't have it, and won't ever have it, IMO

Travitoh

First Grade
And I'm getting over seeing Paulo, I know the kid is only young, but OVERALL, he hasn't shown anything special that makes me think this guy is a keeper. He'll be another Talaki, Fuimaiono type player.

What is it with Bennett having this fascination with fringe players who don't have it? Burns, Paulo, Cartwright, you might even add Knight to that list.

Call me impatient, but they don't have it, and won't ever have it, IMO

Talakai has actually gone really well at Cronulla this season. He'd strengthen Souths best 17 this season.

callmack1

Staff member

handyman2190

Bench
100% agree with you,Arrow isnt the answer yes we need props and to clear out lowe,dillon, dennis to name a few who cant step up