What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 v Storm

franklin2323

Immortal
It's still on the coach to address it and everyone has bad games. He had one hit up that was full speed and found his front because force = speed x mass or whatever and the defence couldn't dominate him. More of that is what Ivan should be telling him in video sessions. We also don't know if there's an effort to ease him through his first season due to the recurring hamstring injuries.

This is just part of the no 2nd tier footy last year.

Do you think he is training like he is playing?

He, Edwards and guys like that haven't stood up during this origin period. Part is on coaching but basic errors is all on the players

Girds89

Bench
I think some criticism of Staines is fair in general, but I don't think this kind of fullback is long gone. Burton's break yesterday was a perfect example. Having an extremely quick fullback with good instincts around the ruck backs up that break and scores. It's been years since we've had a player who backs up breaks/half-breaks like that, generally due to a lack of speed in the team as a whole (also notable is that Tago was one of the only Panthers in the frame when Burton was tackled despite being a long way away when the break was made). Charlie can do that if given a chance to develop his instincts in the position, while also to my eye looking like our best FB option for chiming into a backline play.

Appreciate that he's looking suss under the high ball, but when Edwards is going through his current phase of the yips that hardly seems like a big tradeoff. Edwards is still doing decently on kick returns, but Charlie's speed will provide an advantage on a staggered line that isn't present on a play 1/2 when the line is set.

If there was a way for him to gain a little size/strength without sacrificing pace that would be ideal though.

It is long gone though... who of any of the current fbs play like hodgson used too? Like wesser used to. Teddy, turbo, ponga, they all are standing in the backline for plays.

The only time you really see fbs around the ruck is generally for a set play. Manly has got set plays back through the ruck for turbo.. same with melbs. They always done it well.

The way the game is played now the hookers are all pretty quick and generally following the forwards ready for any half break or 2nd phase play.

Former panther Caleb aekins was very similiar to staines in style of play. Caleb wasnt quite as quick as charlie but still had toe. Caleb certainly isnt afraid to get his hands dirty and take hard carries but his style of play is definitley like hodgson. He just floats around the ruck. He had a few decent games for the raiders but that style just isnt how teams plsy anymore and he will have to go to super league if he wants to get regular time in the top grade.

Charlie played fb the other week and the line was stsggered a number of times and he barely hit 50% speed and just looked to pass it. Really was uninspiring.

I certainly hope he can show something soon because Taylan may, and sunia turuva are both extremley talented and wont be far off fg. May in particular. Turuva probably needs another hskf year of reggies but still looks very promosing at fb.

Girds89

Bench
I am not disputing that but how to get more involved is the question maybe him and Edwards switch so he can use his ball skills?

What ball skills lol? Haha lets not kid ourselves. Hes not matt moylan. Hes thrown passes whist wide open at the back to dylan or too.. any nrl player can throw those passes in the open. Its a basic skill. Most of the forwards could.

Charlie has never been a ball player. He follows the ball around the ruck as a fb. Thats how hes played coming through and thats how he likes to play.

Everyone on here wants dylan to be a better ball player like teddy or turbo but dont realise charlie isnt that kind of player. Sure he can probably throw a 15m cut out pass like any nrl fullback.

Can he put blokes through holes and make good decisions chiming into the backline like teddy or turbo.... well his never played like that so we are literally all guessing.

If thats the style of fb he wanted laurie was our man. He was a quick as charlie and could kick and ball play and was elusive.

Girds89

Bench
If charlie is the plan for fb thats fine. But he really isnt an nrl winger. A off full season of training at fb and he can fight it out with edwards and turuva for #1 next year. If hes the best option after the trials happy days and great stuff charlie

BxTom

Bench
I think he's been doing well for a rookie. Generally defends well and makes the right decisions. Like @WestyLife said Ivan hasn't helped by manufacturing plays down that side. Critta looks great at times but he's not earning his massive pay cheque
I suspect that the Coach has instructed them to defend, defend and then defend some more - i.e. stay in position. But I too think Staines is going ok for a rookie. Yes, he needs more weight/strength, but that will come.

franklin2323

Immortal
What ball skills lol? Haha lets not kid ourselves. Hes not matt moylan. Hes thrown passes whist wide open at the back to dylan or too.. any nrl player can throw those passes in the open. Its a basic skill. Most of the forwards could.

Charlie has never been a ball player. He follows the ball around the ruck as a fb. Thats how hes played coming through and thats how he likes to play.

Everyone on here wants dylan to be a better ball player like teddy or turbo but dont realise charlie isnt that kind of player. Sure he can probably throw a 15m cut out pass like any nrl fullback.

Can he put blokes through holes and make good decisions chiming into the backline like teddy or turbo.... well his never played like that so we are literally all guessing.

If thats the style of fb he wanted laurie was our man. He was a quick as charlie and could kick and ball play and was elusive.

The last few weeks there has been chances to go wide and make some good metres on a kick return. I don't think we score but certainly can have him throwing them and start the sets from halfway instead of the 20m line

betcats

Referee
With Bizza out maybe it is time to give Staines a little spell I wouldnt mind seeing that now. That being said I think he has been rock solid defensively(besides those bombs) and I really doubt a Jennings or Naden can read the game and jam in and stop plays like Charlie has done for us many times this year. Turuva would've been a good option as a metre eating winger he looks to be built very similar to Bizza but hes not in the bubble unfortunately.

Kilkenny

Coach
I watched a fair bit of Staines coming thru the juniors and I never saw much evidence of his having ball playing skills.

Daine Laurie was the one who had the ball playing skills, which he has shown this season.

Previously, Ivan gave Crichton games at fullback when Edwards was injured. At some point, Charlie needs to be given an reasonable opportunity in his prefered position to show what he can do because he has a very limited future as a winger.

Girds89

Bench
I watched a fair bit of Staines coming thru the juniors and I never saw much evidence of his having ball playing skills.

Daine Laurie was the one who had the ball playing skills, which he has shown this season.

Previously, Ivan gave Crichton games at fullback when Edwards was injured. At some point, Charlie needs to be given an reasonable opportunity in his prefered position to show what he can do because he has a very limited future as a winger.
Spot on.

But edwards gets bagged cause his not an elite ball player and people think he makes to many mistakes.

Cant be that he doesnt break enough tackles, make enough meters or make to many mistakes because statiscally per games played his better than most other fbs bar the elite few.

Sure hes not a great ball player but when nathan yeo api and cleary all play 80 theres no need for him to be. And that is evident in how many points we score.

Staines was average at best in his lone game at fb this year. Certainly not enough to judge him off but right now hed be my 4th choice fb.

Edwards
Critta
Turuva
Charlie

Charlie stands out on the wing all game literally not breaking a sweat. No reason he couldnt sniff around the middle tackles 1-3 looking for an offload to use his supposed pace.

WestyLife

First Grade
Spot on.

But edwards gets bagged cause his not an elite ball player and people think he makes to many mistakes.

Cant be that he doesnt break enough tackles, make enough meters or make to many mistakes because statiscally per games played his better than most other fbs bar the elite few.

Sure hes not a great ball player but when nathan yeo api and cleary all play 80 theres no need for him to be. And that is evident in how many points we score.

Staines was average at best in his lone game at fb this year. Certainly not enough to judge him off but right now hed be my 4th choice fb.

Edwards
Critta
Turuva
Charlie

Charlie stands out on the wing all game literally not breaking a sweat. No reason he couldnt sniff around the middle tackles 1-3 looking for an offload to use his supposed pace.

Yeah no chance Turuva who hasn't played a game of first grade goes above Staines. Staines was as good if not better going through the grades earning a player of the year.

betcats

Referee
Staines definitely has some nice ball playing skills. I watched plenty of him also and I saw it.

Interestingly Mick Ennis has called for Critta to play FB over Edwards noting Dyls lack of creativity. I get that when we are at full strength we dont need him to create much but he cant rely on us being full strength so he doesnt have to create much all the time. Fullback is a position where you are expected to be able to make a pass or in the case of the pass he threw off the scrum to charlie early in the game yesterday a fullback should have the vision to see that its not on, it was piss poor throwing that pass you gotta have some ability as a full back to see what the defence is doing. Its plays like that why guys like Mick Ennis think we need a more creative full back.

Last edited:

Girds89

Bench
Yeah no chance Turuva who hasn't played a game of first grade goes above Staines. Staines was as good if not better going through the grades earning a player of the year.
Turuva and staines have never played together to my knowledge.

Charlie hasnt been able to replicate his juniour form in the top grade tho like laurie.

Him and laurie were very even coming through and laurie took to fg brilliantly because his styke if play is how modern fbs play. Hes also much harder to tackle than charlie as he has a great step.

Turuva is rated extremley highly. Really wouldnt be suprised to see him fighting for the number 1 next year with dylan

Smug Panther

First Grade
Spot on.

Edwards
Critta
Turuva
Charlie

The way Edwards didn't pass on the wide open overlap stamped his papers imo. If he's still not confident to throw it then he never will be. It sucks because he's such a hard worker but he's reached his ceiling for a side trying to win the comp

WestyLife

First Grade

Charlie hasnt been able to replicate his juniour form in the top grade tho like laurie.

Him and laurie were very even coming through and laurie took to fg brilliantly because his styke if play is how modern fbs play. Hes also much harder to tackle than charlie as he has a great step.

Turuva is rated extremley highly. Really wouldnt be suprised to see him fighting for the number 1 next year with dylan

No they didn't but Staines was as highly rated. Most here said he'd be the long term fullback given time. Like Crichton who was also average at fullback whoever you pick needs time.

Girds89

Bench
The way Edwards didn't pass on the wide open overlap stamped his papers imo. If he's still not confident to throw it then he never will be. It sucks because he's such a hard worker but he's reached his ceiling for a side trying to win the comp
Edwards has thrown plenty of good passes to finsish tries this year.

Again if thats what u desperatley wanted laurie was ur man.

Staines definitley isnt that style. Neither is turuva who is more a dynamic runner.

betcats

Referee

Dylans days are numbered. He doesnt have the ability to step up when we need him to and we have to many young fullbacks who might have that ability and to much cap pressure to keep Dyl. By next year we will be looking toward the future with Critta or Charlie taking his spot by orgin. Turuva will start on the wing before they look at moving him to fullback.

betcats

Referee

Yep that non pass and the pass he did throw to Charlie early on. Fullbacks need to be better its to important for the attack. Put Dylan in a position where he has to make a decision and he gets it wrong as much as he gets it right, unfortunately for Dylan he only gets put in those positions when we are attacking the opposition line so any error stands out as a glaring one.

Latest posts