What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 v Storm

Girds89

Bench
No they didn't but Staines was as highly rated. Most here said he'd be the long term fullback given time. Like Crichton who was also average at fullback whoever you pick needs time.
Mate you were on here very vocal about how critta would kill fb straight away.

He didnt than you back pedaled. Sometimes the grass isnt greener.

If charlie wants to play fb he should be knocking the door down playing wing imo. Demanding selection. But is really not even justifying selection in fg at all at this stage.

Edwards spot is his to lose and if someone starts knocking the door down great.

At this stage critta did ok at fb in attack but his fitness and defence and cleaning kicks up etc etc was very poor.

Staines one game at fb was extremley poor and on the wing his not nrl standard.

Turuva hasnt played enough this year but looks absolute dynamite. He is still young enough for ball. Probs not ready for fg yet.

So atm, edwards is easily our best option

betcats

Referee

If charlie wants to play fb he should be knocking the door down playing wing imo. Demanding selection. But is really not even justifying selection in fg at all at this stage.

At this stage critta did ok at fb in attack but his fitness and defence and cleaning kicks up etc etc was very poor.

Turuva hasnt played enough this year but looks absolute dynamite. He is still young enough for ball. Probs not ready for fg yet.

Staines was not extremely poor at full back that is just dumb. You dont have to talk the kid down in order to talk Dylan up thats just silly. Staines was solid at fullback. Dylan is dropping the ball just as much and he is what 5 or 6 years into his NRL career?

betcats

Referee
Also a lot of people wrote Critta off as "not and nrl fullback" after his first game and he improved out of sight the more he played there so lets give Charlie a few games at fullback before we start writing him off in order to talk up Dylan again.

betcats

Referee
Staines numbers at fullback against Parra were very comparable to Dylans yesterday .

Staines had 154m on 16 runs and 35 PCM, 2 errors. Yesterday Dylan had 22 runs, 174m 37 PCM and 2 errors. If Charlies game against Parra was "extremely poor" Than Dylan is poor to extremely poor pretty often.

The_Frog

First Grade
And Munster kicked Martin in origin and got a fine. Then followed it up with kicking a Warriors player the following week and guess what....another fine! Double standards
Crichton would have got a fine too, but he's already had his two fines for the season.

WestyLife

First Grade

I overestimated his physical attributes based on how he looks and what has been said in interviews about him being a freak athlete. Yes I wasn't impressed with his form BUT as I just said while detached from the emotion of game day both he and Staines would need time. Not sure how that's a controversial opinion. Edwards has had much longer than both.

Girds89

Bench
I overestimated his physical attributes based on how he looks and what has been said in interviews about him being a freak athlete. Yes I wasn't impressed with his form BUT as I just said while detached from the emotion of game day both he and Staines would need time. Not sure how that's a controversial opinion. Edwards has had much longer than both.
And there is the issue with most in here. Franklin over estimates how good luai and burton are. You over estimated how good critta would be. We are biased because we are panthers fans.

Moving critta just weakens centre.

He looks to have found a home on the right. Defensivley his been brilliant and in attack when his been giving the ball with space his been very good.

So moving him on the chance he might someday get better at fb but definitley weaken centre is silly.

All my mates that go for other teams still cant believe charlies in fg. Says something when other team supporters think your players average because they arent biased at all.

If staines wants fb he needs to earn it...not just given a shot because his rubbish on the wing.

Turuva and staines can pressure edwards in the trials imo. And from the limited stuff ive seen of turuva he honestly is better than what i ever saw from staines coming through. He really is a freak athelete. His built like a brick. Has speed to burn and is very strong.

Id be happy to see charlie kill it next year and i hope he does. The more pressure on edwards the better!

Girds89

Bench
Staines definitely has some nice ball playing skills. I watched plenty of him also and I saw it.

Interestingly Mick Ennis has called for Critta to play FB over Edwards noting Dyls lack of creativity. I get that when we are at full strength we dont need him to create much but he cant rely on us being full strength so he doesnt have to create much all the time. Fullback is a position where you are expected to be able to make a pass or in the case of the pass he threw off the scrum to charlie early in the game yesterday a fullback should have the vision to see that its not on, it was piss poor throwing that pass you gotta have some ability as a full back to see what the defence is doing. Its plays like that why guys like Mick Ennis think we need a more creative full back.
The same mick ennis thatd was praising edwards earlier in the year for his brilliance at the back lol...

Edwards didnt have his best game but he was better than luai, burton and kenny in the spine.. he

Flanno is the only commentator with any idea on there. Ennis speaks well but he changes he thoughts every week.

Girds89

Bench
Staines was not extremely poor at full back that is just dumb. You dont have to talk the kid down in order to talk Dylan up thats just silly. Staines was solid at fullback. Dylan is dropping the ball just as much and he is what 5 or 6 years into his NRL career?
Staines made 4 mistakes. Not including letting the ball blatantly bounce in open field when it was clearly his.

He made 2 tackles and missed 3.

His positioning cleaning up kicks was not good at all and he got heavily dominated in tackles and it really started our sets on the back foot..

He also had two occasions where there was a heavily broken line and instead of pinning the ears back he passed the ball.

Staines is in the top 5 players for most mistakes this year and is about 25th for most via average. Dylan is not even in top 50 for either and he touches the ball for approx 25 more thimes than charlie per game. Go look at nrl if you dont believe me. Times staines errors by dylans extra 25 touches a game and you have a lot of errors and his number 1 in the comp.

Absolute rubbish betcats. Im literally calling it unbiased as I can. Not trying to put staines down but error stats dont lie..you drop it its an error..

WestyLife

First Grade
The same mick ennis thatd was praising edwards earlier in the year for his brilliance at the back lol...

Edwards didnt have his best game but he was better than luai, burton and kenny in the spine.. he

Flanno is the only commentator with any idea on there. Ennis speaks well but he changes he thoughts every week.

That's the thing no one has realised with the Edwards discussion. He was worth praise pre injury. Since he's been not as good. The first storm game he was best on ground. That's why the opinions have changed.

Also:

Staines numbers at fullback against Parra were very comparable to Dylans yesterday .

Staines had 154m on 16 runs and 35 PCM, 2 errors. Yesterday Dylan had 22 runs, 174m 37 PCM and 2 errors. If Charlies game against Parra was "extremely poor" Than Dylan is poor to extremely poor pretty often.

Girds89

Bench
Staines #2 in nrl with 1.33 avg
Edwards #120 with 0.77 avg.

Edwards recieves the ball more than triple what charlie does including taking 25 hits ups a game playing under extreme fatigue cause he covers 10km compared to staines 1km.

And aww half edwards errors were from the night a panthers park earlier this year that was absolutley treacherous conditions blowing a gail and pissing down.

So nup betcats. Wrong mate. Not being unfair. Just calling it exactly how it is

Kilkenny

Coach
Staines definitely has some nice ball playing skills. I watched plenty of him also and I saw it.
Watched him where, Ball, Flegg, NSW Cup?

Didn‘t know you went to Junior Rep games, I’ve never noticed too many posts of your impressions from having been to watch our junior rep teams.

I hope he gets a decent crack at fullback, I really do, but these suggestions he is going to be this ball playing fullback and improve our offensive / attacking plays from such skills is just fanciful.

At the end of the day, we want and need the best option playing in this crucial position whoever it may be.

Girds89

Bench
2 errors in 80 at fullback.... same as Edwards against storm.

Haha the myth edwards isnt safe has been completely shot down.. once again one eyed posters here only see what they want to see.

He makes less errors on avg than other fbs including turbo, teddy, gutho, hynes, latrell, critta. And i stopped reading after a few pages. So yep the not safe things a myth.

WestyLife

First Grade
Haha the myth edwards isnt safe has been completely shot down.. once again one eyed posters here only see what they want to see.

He makes less errors on avg than other fbs including turbo, teddy, gutho, hynes, latrell, critta. And i stopped reading after a few pages. So yep the not safe things a myth.

You wanted to compare the stats. Staines in his only game at fullback Vs Edwards in a game we are told it's unfair to criticise him because he was better than we thought.

Smug Panther

First Grade

Yes and no. Also has less errors because he won't try anything. If Cleary comes back and gets hurt then we need to roll the dice on someone else to have any shot in the finals. If Nathan stays fit then it's his spot for 2021

Girds89

Bench
You wanted to compare the stats. Staines in his only game at fullback Vs Edwards in a game we are told it's unfair to criticise him because he was better than we thought.
Go watch that game again. People on here all called for edwards to go straight back to fb.

He was poor..it was his first game of nrl at fb..im sure hed improve but most of the arguments against edwards are... 1. He is not safe and 2. He cant ball play..

Well staines isnt a ball player and given he only touches the ball less than half what edwards does yet almost makes double the mistakes... id say edwards is safer.

Betcats called me out for putting down charlie and said edwards makes just as many mistakes.. which is categorically proved as not true.