What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs. Newcastle Knights

Big Pete

Referee
Team announcement...

1. Matt Bowen
2. Ash Graham
3. Arana Taumata
4. Willie Tonga
5. Will Tupou
6. Grant Rovelli
7. Jonathan Thurston
8. Mat Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. Willie Mason
11. Scott Bolton
12. Leeson Ah Mau
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Anthony Watts
15. Dane Hogan
16. Carl Webb
17. James Tamou
18. Ben Harris

Talanexor

Juniors
If Tonga is out then it means either Graham or Harris playing in the centres. I'd prefer Harris, but only just - he's too slow.

That team needs less Graham, Webb and Watts. O'Donnell deserves to play out the season in first grade for all the good years of service he's given us and Rovelli stays because there isn't anyone else really to replace him.

Bring in someone else on the wing instead of Graham. Tupou is going just fine on the wing, but we need someone who is safe under a bomb on the right wing - hell, even Gallant would probably be a better option than Graham on the wing.

Also need to bring up a u20's or QLD Cup prop to play off the bench instead of Webb. Webb is a liability and won't be here next year. It's time to start looking to the future.

Big Pete

Referee
I'd rather Graham, at least he's first grade standard.

You may have to swap him and Taumata over though.

Keep Watts, he's had some value off the bench.

Talanexor

Juniors
I'd rather Graham, at least he's first grade standard.

You may have to swap him and Taumata over though.

Keep Watts, he's had some value off the bench.

The problem with that is who you put on the wing Big Pete.

And Watts is leaving next year. I'd prefer Segeyaro be given a 15-20 min stint off the bench for a few games this season. If Payne goes down injured next year, we have no backup hookers.

Big Pete

Referee
It doesn't matter if they're leaving next year, you go with the best players.

As for wing, just go Malone.

Talanexor

Juniors
why arent we playing micheal morgan

I think - and so do a lot of other Cowboys - that he's still a bit raw for first grade. Leave him in Toyota Cup this year, where he has a chance of actually winning something. He'll be twice the player for it next year.

Remember when we dropped Tupou from the first grade side? He looked lost out there at times. Since he's come back into the side he's looked much more comfortable.

Didgi

I think non-regular appearances, for instance maybe when the Cowboys are playing a 'weaker' side he can come in, give him some confidence with staggered games. I don't know how players like Segeyaro haven't been given a game or two off the bench, purely for experience and confidence.

Big Pete

Referee
Sega probably hurt his chances with that all in brawl where he took it to two Manly forwards.

SP, he's got a bung shoulder that isn't up to first grade at this point in time. Top prospect though.

Talanexor

Juniors

Yeah, if you do that you'll never fit in with the first grade squad...

Of all the u20s Segeyaro is probably the most ready to step up to first grade. He needs to get some game experience now, so that if and when Payne is injured or struggling for form next year, we have a replacement.

The Pain Game

Juniors
Outside of his football or fighting talents, James has an extremely strong tackler. Perhaps in the NRL, he'd get caught out for over committing and missing the tackle, but he throw his whole body on the line... kinda like Travis Waddel from the Raiders.

Talanexor

Juniors
Overcommitting and missing the tackle eh? Everyone else in the team has a problem with undercommitting and getting brushed off.

I'd welcome overcommitting any day of the week. We either need to sign a backup hooker or blood Segeyaro now. This is an area we're particularly weak in, now that we've lost Watts and Amos won't be staying.

Charlie124

First Grade
Apparently Wade Graham ===> Cowboys is a done deal, not confirmed yet though. Can he or Thompson play hooker off the bench?

Talanexor

Juniors
Thompson looked pretty comfortable playing hooker at the back end of last year. Mind you, that was only for 20 mins off the bench, not the whole game.

I still think he's a natural halfback though, and a better halves partner for JT than Wade Graham. Happy to be proven wrong though!

Any word on any forward signings? I think we're pretty much right for outside backs and halves now. Could use another winger maybe, but we definitely need some muscle up front.

Charlie124

First Grade
Id love for the Thaiday rumour to gain a little more momentum, although im sure his price tag would be pretty huge. I understand we have a fair amount of coin to throw around but id probably rather throw it at a couple of young/cheap forwards

Didgi

I think we have great young forwards already, but some of the older guys we have brought to the club recently, like Tonga and Mason, have not only added experience but been some of our best players. I'm not saying we've bought a bunch of has-beens but I don't know if throwing huge money on one player because they're the 'in form player' is necessarily the way to go.

Big Pete

Referee
Charlie, if anything the rumour has been flat out quashed since the article was first published.

Article in the CM, Broncos website, features on FoxSports and now on the cover of Big League.