What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs. North Queensland Cowboys Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos vs. North Queensland Cowboys
Suncorp Stadium, Friday 30 July 2021
Kick Off: 7:50pm

BRISBANE-2021.png

1. Tesi Niu 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Jamayne Isaako 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Brodie Croft 8. Keenan Palasia 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Alex Glenn 12. Jordan Riki 13. Kobe Hetherington

Interchange:
14. Danny Levi 15. Rhys Kennedy 16. Ethan Bullemor 17. TC Robati

Reserves: 18. Xavier Willison 19. Jesse Arthars 20. Albert Kelly 21. Xavier Coates

NORTHQLD-2021.png

1. Jake Granville 2. Kyle Feldt 3. Murray Taulagi 4. Connelly Lemuelu 5. Kane Bradley 6. Scott Drinkwater 7. Tom Dearden 8. Francis Molo 9. Reece Robson 10. Jordan McLean 11. Shane Wright 12. Mitchell Dunn 13. Jason Taumalolo

Interchange: 14. Tom Gilbert 15. Heilum Luki 16. Coen Hess 17. Ben Hampton

Reserves: 18. Lachlan Burr 19. Daejarn Asi 20. Peter Hola 21. Ben Condon​

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Thomas Flegler is facing 3 weeks on the sideline after being charged with a Grade 3 Careless High Tackle on Isaah Yeo in Saturday's 18-12 loss against the Panthers. If Flegler accepts an early guilty plea he will only miss two 2 matches.

Albert Kelly should be available for selection.

The current Casuality Ward
Albert Kelly (Hamstring) - Round 20
Brendan Piakura (Knee) - Round 22
Karmichael Hunt (Calf) - Indefinite
Ben Te'o (Biceps) - Indefinite
Patrick Carrigan (Knee) - Season
John Asiata (Neck) - Season

No updates yet on Cory Paix who suffered a foot injury and failed to complete the match against the Panthers.

Big Pete

Referee
Teams are in.

There are only two changes for the Brisbane Broncos. Danny Levi comes in for Cory Paix who suffered an ankle injury and is set to be out for a month. Flegler also accepted a two match ban which will see TC Robati return to the 17.

Surprisingly Palasia has been preferred in the starting position. Palasia did come into the game earlier, but I thought Kennedy may have been the preferred option after a strong stint against the Panthers.

Brodie Croft retains his spot, with Albert Kelly named in reserves.

Jake Turpin is in some doubt with a hand injury. I suspect he'll likely drop out with Hetherington going to 9, Palasia to 13 and Kennedy into the starting team. If that comes to pass, it'll be interesting to see who takes up that final bench spot. I believe it would be too early for Xavier Willison so I would not be shocked if Croft is moved into a dummy half position and they go with a 3 dummy half rotation. Hetherington handles the opening exchanges, Levi comes on for Palasia after the opening 20 with Hetherington moving to lock and then Croft gets the final 20-25 minutes.

Big Pete

Referee
Xavier Willison will come onto the bench for the Broncos with TC Robati being ruled out.

Tyson Gamble is also in doubt for the clash with a shoulder injury.

DeeJ

Bench
Could Milford be back if Gamble and Kelly are not available? There's not any other options.

Also why is Isaako still getting a run?

Big Pete

Referee
Could Milford be back if Gamble and Kelly are not available? There's not any other options.

Also why is Isaako still getting a run?
Isaako is still under contract for next year and with little in the way of options is being given an extended chance. His goal kicking is still very handy and he's come up with some good plays along with some bad. I thought he was terribly unlucky not to earn a set restart against the Panthers. Beat about 5 tackles, got to his front, Burton held down and then Cummins gives the Panthers a reprieve because Edwards face planted on the ground (and then didn't have to come off...).

Last edited:

Nerd

Bench
Great game. Still way too many mistakes but we are getting better. Our defence on the line was much improved and Tyson Gamble is coming ahead in leaps and bounds. Rhys Kennedy really needs to have a look at his tackling style as he's becoming the new Flegler with 2-3 penalties from lazy high shots every game. Staggs had a blinder and just his presence panics the defenders to number up on him opening holes up for his surrounding players.

DeeJ

Bench
Gamble has very good decision making - 9/10 recently he has taken the right option on the 5th tackle.

It certainly is a breath of fresh air after rotating through so many halves over the years.

blaza88z

Coach
Gamble has very good decision making - 9/10 recently he has taken the right option on the 5th tackle.

It certainly is a breath of fresh air after rotating through so many halves over the years.

He is showing a little something too that you just wouldn't expect, those chip kicks out to our backs were on the money. The Isaako one at the end he copped a bad bounce but it was exactly where it needed to be for that play.

I dunno what they are thinking next season but Gamble is smashing that door down in regards to playing 5/8 alongside Reynolds next season.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought the right edge looked really potent for the Broncos.

The Broncos really used the width of the field well to force Drinkwater to defend Riki 1-1 and it paid dividends. Once again having Kotoni Staggs back really transformed the Broncos attack and it's a shame that this will be the final game of the season. There was nothing clever about his two tries, but I don't think anyone else in the squad could have scored him. His double showed that he's a genuine option anytime Brisbane are close to the line.

Palasia once again had a strong game: 20 runs for 156m, 63m Post Contact, 25 Tackles (1 Missed) and 2 Tackle-Breaks. I thought he partnered Haas well and has done enough to earn an extended stay in the NRL system. Gamble was also another stand-out with his kicking and three try assists for the game.

Unfortunately it's a game that's only going to be remembered for the controversial Kyle Feldt No Try. As deflating as the call was, the rules are crystal clear and Feldt never regathered the ball before it was grounded. Brisbane benefitted from the call no doubt but that's the reason the bunker was brought in so these type of calls are made properly.

Finally Brisbane blooded Xavier Willison the young New Zealand prop. I thought he looked very raw but he didn't shirk his responsibility and was looking for carries through out. With 5 weeks remaining and nothing to play for, I think blooding the odd player where possible is a way to get some value out of the contests. Piakura I'd imagine will be the next cab off the rank which will take the Total Players Used to a whopping 36.

Reactions: gUt

Latest posts