What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 - Eels vs Rabbitohs: Friday 6th August 8:05pm @Cbus Super Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Righteo, it's a massive week this week as we shift focus and look towards the clash against the Eels this Friday night. It's a huge clash because it's a top four clash, the first time we've played a top four team since we last played Parra in Round 12 and it's certainly our toughest challenge since that game. This game will be a test for us and after having big wins against sides further down the ladder for the last eight weeks, we'll get an idea of where we're really at this Round.

There's been a lot of talk about the Eels recently, a lot of criticism. I know they've had a couple of really bad weeks but I believe they're just that, bad weeks. We had two terrible weeks ourselves this year and recovered and I think Parra will do the same. They'll bounce back and it may well be against us this week. The fact remains that they are still a top four team as it stands and on their day, they deserve to be there. Haven't been playing well recently as I said but we must be extremely wary this week as that is only going to fire the Eels up even more and they will be extremely desperate to get their Season and home to the Finals back on track. It's been clear that they've really missed Mitchell Moses and he looks set to return to face us so I'm expecting a much better Eels side in this game. They still have strike power everywhere, in both the backs and forwards with plenty of rep players so as I said, this is a big test.

For us, we need to rise to the challenge. We've stepped it up post Origin, there's no doubt about that but now we need to step it up even more. We have some tough games on the run into the Finals and this is certainly one of them so it's time to really ramp things up. I want to see us go out there with a really steely attitude, fired up and focussed, ready to make a statement. On another note, Parra might have some stars back this week but so do we. Murray, Graham, Marshall, Sele and Knight should all be back and available for selection so that will bolster us and it's going to be interesting to see what the make up of our side is. Significantly, our attack is humming along brilliantly (which will hopefully continue to be the case) but that defence is still lacking so that is a big area of focus this week. With Moses back, the Eels will throw a lot at us. It's also important to note that with the rescheduled Round 20, this becomes a five day turnaround so how that gets managed will be crucial, especially considering Parra will be well rested.

Really looking forward to this one, finally we have a challenge! Let's hope the boys are up to it!

southsport

First Grade
It's a bad time to play the eels after their big loss last game, I expect them to lift this week and with the bunnies having a 5 day turn around it makes this game even harder, so the bunnies will need to be on their game.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 21,

1. Mitchell
2. Mansour
3. Gagai
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Nicholls
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Su'A
13. Murray

14. Taaffe
15. Host
16. Sele
17. Arrow

Will be good to have Graham, Murray and Sele back. They come straight back in for mine. I would leave Knight out though. I'd leave Benji out of this one as he hasn't been able to train properly the last two weeks so will probably need to build back into it. Will be good to Taaffe to get some experience against a top four side anyway. Finally, I'd have Milne over Paulo out there on the right. paulo still hasn't done enough I reckon and the thought of him marking Sivo makes me shiver.

Will see what happens when the team is named later.

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
Team is.

1) Latrell Mitchell
2) Josh Mansour
3) Dane Gagai
4) Taane Milne
5) Jaxson Paulo
6) Cody Walker
7) Adam Reynolds (c)
8) Mark Nicholls
9) Damien Cook
10) Thomas Burgess
11) Keaon Koloamatangi
12) Jai Arrow
13) Cameron Murray

Interchange
14) Benji Marshall
15) Jacob Host
16) Junior Tatola
17) Jaydn Su'A

18) Braidon Burns
19) Patrick Mago
20) Blake Taaffe
21) Davvy Moale

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Team List for Round 21: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/08/03/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-21/

Very strong side, pretty much as expected with a few surprises in there. I'm happy with it though. Great to have Murray, Tatola and Marshall back, Tatola is the surprising one as he's made an early return but that's great news for us. Happy to see Jai shift out to that second row, it's worked for us in previous games and I have a feeling Wayne wanted to go back to it but injuries and suspensions haven't allowed us to do so. The bench looks outstanding!

Gotta say though, very concerning that Graham still isn't right, very concerning. I expected Knight to still be out but though Campbell would be good to go. I know you have to take every precaution with this stuff but the fact that he isn't right yet is a concern. Also a little worried about Sele, obviously his injury is taking longer than expected too.

Anyway, a very strong side named for this one, Friday night can't come soon enough!!

Mr Spock!

Referee
Eels are on the way out and will be lucky to win another game this season.

We should be all over them in this one.

Another 36-24 (Sivo 4 tries) scoreline coming up.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Rabbitohs Team List for Round 21: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/08/03/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-21/

Very strong side, pretty much as expected with a few surprises in there. I'm happy with it though. Great to have Murray, Tatola and Marshall back, Tatola is the surprising one as he's made an early return but that's great news for us. Happy to see Jai shift out to that second row, it's worked for us in previous games and I have a feeling Wayne wanted to go back to it but injuries and suspensions haven't allowed us to do so. The bench looks outstanding!

Gotta say though, very concerning that Graham still isn't right, very concerning. I expected Knight to still be out but though Campbell would be good to go. I know you have to take every precaution with this stuff but the fact that he isn't right yet is a concern. Also a little worried about Sele, obviously his injury is taking longer than expected too.

Anyway, a very strong side named for this one, Friday night can't come soon enough!!
Agreed Callmack with you about Arrow, I thought he should be on the edge but someone here said nah, he is a middle forward.

He is too small and lightweight for a prop, and he ain't going to be taking Murray's spot at lock. Hopefully he can start to make an impact on the edge with regular playing time at that position. Also, he is our future, and Sua isn't so Arrow should be starting, and not on the bench.

callmack1

Staff member
Shocking timing - Cook backs Blues teammate Moses to spark Eels: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/08/03/shocking-timing-cook-backs-blues-teammate-moses-to-spark-eels/

Agreed Callmack with you about Arrow, I thought he should be on the edge but someone here said nah, he is a middle forward.

He is too small and lightweight for a prop, and he ain't going to be taking Murray's spot at lock. Hopefully he can start to make an impact on the edge with regular playing time at that position. Also, he is our future, and Sua isn't so Arrow should be starting, and not on the bench.
Yea man, agreed. I'm all for it.

Played there against the Broncos and our forward pack looked fantastic!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Wayne says that Cody and Reyno won’t be rested at this stage we will worry way later on.

So like I said the other day we won’t be resting guys like Reyno, Cody, Murray or Cook whilst we are a shot at top 2.

Souths are 1-17.

Campbell getting headaches not good. Don’t know when he’s back.

AJ looking at a round 23 return.

Latest posts