What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 v Tigers @ Pepper Stadium

OldPanther

Coach
Game of Thrones gave us "battle of the bastards". The NRL will give us "battle of the chins".

Panthers coach Anthony Griffin has named his 21-man squad to face Wests Tigers at Pepper Stadium on Sunday. Trent Merrin (knee) is still unavailable for selection while Leilani Latu is out for the remainder of the season with a broken jaw.

The Panthers will wear the 2017 Home Jersey.

GET ALL YOUR GAMEDAY INFO HERE

Panthers v Wests Tigers
4pm Sunday @ Pepper Stadium

1. Dylan EDWARDS
2. Josh MANSOUR
3. Tyrone PEACHEY
4. Waqa BLAKE
5. Dallin WATENE-ZELEZNIAK
6. Tyrone MAY
7. Nathan CLEARY
8. James TAMOU
9. Peter WALLACE (c)
10. Reagan CAMPBELL-GILLARD
11. Corey HARAWIRA-NAERA
12. Isaah YEO
13. Moses LEOTA

14. Sione KATOA
15. Bryce CARTWRIGHT
16. Tim BROWNE
17. James FISHER-HARRIS
18. Matt MOYLAN
19. Dean WHARE
20. Viliame KIKAU
21. Sitaleki AKAUOLA

Panthers NYC coach David Tangata-Toa has named his side to face Wests Tigers at Pepper Stadium on Sunday. The NYC Panthers will wear the 2017 Home Jersey.

GET ALL YOUR GAMEDAY INFO HERE

NYC Panthers v NYC Wests Tigers
1.45pm Sunday @ Pepper Stadium

1. Caleb AEKINS
2. Daine LAURIE
3. Mose FEILO
4. Richie MUNCHOW
5. Daniel BROWN
6. Sam MARTIN-SAVAGE
7. Dean BLORE
8. Stefano HALA
9. Wayde EGAN (c)
10. Tevita MAPAPALANGI
11. Reed IZZARD (c)
12. Billy BURNS
13. J'maine HOPGOOD

14. Mitch REVELL
15. John KAUFUSI
16. Brad GAUT
17. Jesse ABBOTT
18. Ray MAROUN
19. Meni LUKE
20. Jamon WORMLEATON
21. James CONROY
22. Ben CARTWRIGHT
23. Joe OLIVER

Kilkenny

Coach
Given from what I have heard I suspect Whare will come in and Peachy will be on the bench. We cannot have both Katoa and Peachy on the bench so one of Akauola or Kikau will replace Katoa to add some size with JFH dropping out as he is under another injury cloud.

Kilkenny

Coach
I'm happy with that decision but I know a lot won't be.

I don't think we will have much choice if JFH is ruled out. There is no other way the coach can go. You can't carry both Katoa and Peachy on the bench.

More than any other gripe about coach Griffin I have been most 'pissed ' off about the use or lack thereof of our interchange bench.

To seek kids like Kikau, Leota and Akauola being used so sparingly it is no wonder they feel this pressure knowing they will get 10 minutes of less on the field.

Is it any wonder a kid such as Kikau would make a mistake or two given the pressure they must feel coming on after 50 or so minutes knowing they will be hauled off a handful of minutes later.

A couple of weeks ago in NSW Cup (yes there is a marked difference in standard I know) I watched Viliame Kikau carve up. He played big minutes, was an absolute beast, unstoppable, plenty of off loads, tackle busts and big hits to boot. He really could be something special for us and offer something very different but ain't gonna happen I know.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah no idea why we bothered to re-sign Kikau. The coach isnt willing to give him a decent run and if he just wants a player making 10 minute cameos from the bench anyone can do that.

Hes an absolute wrecking ball in NSW Cup who plays big minutes. I think we would see what Kikau could do if we started him at 13 and gave him decent minutes before bringing Cartwright on.

He seems to warm into games. Being used for impact only just forces him to try too hard too quickly.

betcats

Referee
I don't think we will have much choice if JFH is ruled out. There is no other way the coach can go. You can't carry both Katoa and Peachy on the bench.

More than any other gripe about coach Griffin I have been most 'pissed ' off about the use or lack thereof of our interchange bench.

To seek kids like Kikau, Leota and Akauola being used so sparingly it is no wonder they feel this pressure knowing they will get 10 minutes of less on the field.

Is it any wonder a kid such as Kikau would make a mistake or two given the pressure they must feel coming on after 50 or so minutes knowing they will be hauled off a handful of minutes later.

A couple of weeks ago in NSW Cup (yes there is a marked difference in standard I know) I watched Viliame Kikau carve up. He played big minutes, was an absolute beast, unstoppable, plenty of off loads, tackle busts and big hits to boot. He really could be something special for us and offer something very different but ain't gonna happen I know.

I will stick up for Griffin here, blaming him for Kikau's mistakes is silly. The one thing Griffin is good at is bringing kids through into FG, if Kikau cant go ten minutes without f**king up that's on him, it happened every time he played.

I'd be given Kikau a run on the edge in FG at some point but I have no problem with him getting dropped. If I directly blamed Griffin for a players mistakes like that people here would hammer me, you cant have it both ways.

martielang

Bench
For Kikau to get minutes, you have to take them off someone else. Who would you take them off? Browne has a specific job in the team currently. I don't think you'd want to take any further minutes off Tamou, Merrin, Yeo, RCG, Latu.... Potentially CHN? But I haven't seen Kikau play wide in firsts as yet.

Griffin clearly rates Kikau, he's given him a shit tonne of opportunities even when he was playing poorly.

betcats

Referee
For Kikau to get minutes, you have to take them off someone else. Who would you take them off? Browne has a specific job in the team currently. I don't think you'd want to take any further minutes off Tamou, Merrin, Yeo, RCG, Latu.... Potentially CHN? But I haven't seen Kikau play wide in firsts as yet.

Griffin clearly rates Kikau, he's given him a shit tonne of opportunities even when he was playing poorly.

Agree with that last bit and you can see why, Guys with kiks size and athletic ability don't come round to often.

I'd play him on the edge and take some minutes of CHN. Its great he and Yeo can play 80 if needed but I don't think we lose anything by giving one of them a little rest especially if Kikau can find his feet. Imagine bringing him on for the back end of halves and having him run at 6s and 7s...it could be very impactful for us. I would be reluctant to bring him back into the side this week but we do need some size on the bench.

age.s

First Grade
Yeah I've got no problem with how Kikau is being managed. You couldn't keep him in the team given how he was playing. Give him some more time in reggies, try bringing him in once he's got his head a bit more settled and for goodness sake, don't let another club snap up a guy who could be the next Taumalolo.

OldPanther

Coach
Agree with that last bit and you can see why, Guys with kiks size and athletic ability don't come round to often.

I'd play him on the edge and take some minutes of CHN. Its great he and Yeo can play 80 if needed but I don't think we lose anything by giving one of them a little rest especially if Kikau can find his feet. Imagine bringing him on for the back end of halves and having him run at 6s and 7s...it could be very impactful for us. I would be reluctant to bring him back into the side this week but we do need some size on the bench.

About the part in bold. I'm pretty sure murder is illegal.

franklin2323

Immortal

Kikau was playing 2nd row. He's best game of the year was against Newcastle playing 2nd row.

He got all the game time he has earnt this year. Canberra game he made about 3 or 4 errors in a 10min period. Against NQ he was on his head and tried to play the ball.

Players like Cleary are an exemption not the norm most have to be eased into FG

franklin2323

Immortal
I will stick up for Griffin here, blaming him for Kikau's mistakes is silly. The one thing Griffin is good at is bringing kids through into FG, if Kikau cant go ten minutes without f**king up that's on him, it happened every time he played.

I'd be given Kikau a run on the edge in FG at some point but I have no problem with him getting dropped. If I directly blamed Griffin for a players mistakes like that people here would hammer me, you cant have it both ways.

the problem with the edge is we have 2 80min backrowers there. Might be a slow burn until he finds his way in NRL. He can be a huge weapon off the bench when he gets his head up to standard

OldPanther

Coach
I just went to the game day thread. Is crazy in their. Tigers supporters are normally pretty good.

OldPanther

Coach
From the preview on the game:

Griffin's men are storming home late in matches with 25 tries in the final 20 minutes of games this season – more than any other side in the Telstra Premiership. They're grinding out gritty wins on the back of strong defence and despite not playing their best attacking football, have conceded 71 line breaks this season – 37 fewer in comparison with the Tigers. Don't expect the Panthers to give away any seven tackle sets either with Cleary's kicking game on point to only concede 13 for the season – the second best behind Newcastle (9).