What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 vs Rickyless Raiders

Crush

Coach
It’s mind boggling that anyone can continue to forgive Hook for his selections.

The board must love seeing these comments.
Bro, some very dark times ahead if we don’t sack this muppet by the end of the season. The damage he is doing will take years to undo.
The talk now that Hunt will be re-signed and Sullivan and others will leave has rattled me.
We have absolutely nothing to look forward to for the next 5 years if that’s the case.
It would be classic dragons to finally move Hunt to 9 in 2024 or so but it won’t be Sullivan at 7, it’ll be Kyle Flannigan.

So how do you feel about Moga on the wing ahead of Sloan?

We fielded two wingers and a fullback against the Sharks that could barely complete 100m in under 20 seconds. Who makes that call? Hook makes that call. He gets it wrong constantly.
Don't like it. I am not defending Hook's team selections, across the board. Just that Mbye was the better selection as fill in fullback last week, instead of Sloan. Fill in, not first pick. I would've preferred Sloan given a shot on the wing over Moga, but I don't get a say in that.

I would like to see more speed in our backs, Hammer is one guy not happy at the moment, who I reckon should be a priority chase. I would also like to see us sign another Suli like power centre and move Lomax to lock. But, that is never going to happen either. Xerri would be worth having a look at. Sebastian Kris also.

As for young forwards not getting a look in, I have always been a TC Robati fan from Broncos. Would love to see him in the red V. Griffin Neame too

thebigredv

First Grade
Don't like it. I am not defending Hook's team selections, across the board. Just that Mbye was the better selection as fill in fullback last week, instead of Sloan. Fill in, not first pick. I would've preferred Sloan given a shot on the wing over Moga, but I don't get a say in that.

I would like to see more speed in our backs, Hammer is one guy not happy at the moment, who I reckon should be a priority chase. I would also like to see us sign another Suli like power centre and move Lomax to lock. But, that is never going to happen either. Xerri would be worth having a look at. Sebastian Kris also.

As for young forwards not getting a look in, I have always been a TC Robati fan from Broncos. Would love to see him in the red V

Agreed regarding pace and power but with Hook all I can see is experience and utility value. That's my ultimate point.

Ramsay has first dibs on fullback but personally I'd rather not see Mbye and McCullough if some young bloke is fit. Don't care if they leak points with a season gone. We find it very hard to score. We already have the most missed tackles in the comp.

Agreed regarding pace and power but with Hook all I can see is experience and utility value. That's my ultimate point.

Ramsay has first dibs on fullback but personally I'd rather not see Mbye and McCullough if some young bloke is fit. Don't care if they leak points with a season gone. We find it very hard to score. We already have the most missed tackles in the comp.
Mbye did have a decent game at fullback last week. Can't deny that. But, yes, not the future. He was asked to do a job and he did it. As for McCullough, he knows he is near the end. Hook knows it too. Probably why the talk of retiring, or Super League. Also the fact that Dragons were in talks with Sam Verrills, Jacob Liddle, and Jake Simpkins. I too want to see Connor Muhliesen get his chance, but the general consensus is he is not ready yet. I can't comment on that because I haven't seen him play since pre season.

So is that regular 10 minutes at the death a fact, or just made up to support your view? Because you might want to tell nrl.com they got their stats wrong when they have him playing 26 minutes against Sharks last week.
The "ten minutes"was just a figure of speech, mate, to illustrate the fact that players like Sullivan and Sloan are wasted sitting on the bench for more than half the game. With all due respect to Messrs Moga & Reuben, picking them ahead of the likes of Sloan is crazy - they're not fast, skillful or experienced. They were just available and cheap. Depth signings. keeping emerging players treading water until they leave.
And before someone gets on and says "We can't keep them all" - I'm aware of this. But we don't keep ANY.
Garrick, Schiller, Saab, Robson, Host, Leilua, Dufty, Blacker, Wishart, Sailor and the list is growing and it's a much longer list than the list of juniors that we have kept and turned into something special.

The "ten minutes"was just a figure of speech, mate, to illustrate the fact that players like Sullivan and Sloan are wasted sitting on the bench for more than half the game. With all due respect to Messrs Moga & Reuben, picking them ahead of the likes of Sloan is crazy - they're not fast, skillful or experienced. They were just available and cheap. Depth signings. keeping emerging players treading water until they leave.
And before someone gets on and says "We can't keep them all" - I'm aware of this. But we don't keep ANY.
Garrick, Schiller, Saab, Robson, Host, Leilua, Dufty, Blacker, Wishart, Sailor and the list is growing and it's a much longer list than the list of juniors that we have kept and turned into something special.
To be fair, most of those you listed as let go were let go during our darkest Mary days. And a couple who will still never make it to 1st grade elsewhere. And to say we don't keep any is also stretching the truth a bit. Did we not re sign or extend Ramsey, Lomax, Amone, Lawrie, Sullivan, Sloan, Feagai twins?

jeffdragon

Bench
4 of them are not much.
SaIlor, Dufty, Blacker and Host.

To be fair, most of those you listed as let go were let go during our darkest Mary days. And a couple who will still never make it to 1st grade elsewhere. And to say we don't keep any is also stretching the truth a bit. Did we not re sign or extend Ramsey, Lomax, Amone, Lawrie, Sullivan, Sloan, Feagai twins?
What I said was :
"juniors that we have kept and turned into something special" and none of the names you have mentioned have proven themselves to be in that category.

SBD82

Coach
Bro, some very dark times ahead if we don’t sack this muppet by the end of the season. The damage he is doing will take years to undo.
The talk now that Hunt will be re-signed and Sullivan and others will leave has rattled me.
We have absolutely nothing to look forward to for the next 5 years if that’s the case.
It would be classic dragons to finally move Hunt to 9 in 2024 or so but it won’t be Sullivan at 7, it’ll be Kyle Flannigan.
I think the dark times are here mate.

In the past 5 years I’ve gone from a supporter who attended 6 games a year, religiously watched us every weekend, and watched the vast majority of games even if they didn’t involve us. I loved talking about tactics and strategy on here.

I’m at the stage where I haven’t been to a single game this year, have cancelled Kayo, only really enjoy the forum to antagonize other people, and most likely won’t even bother watching the game tomorrow.

I can’t be the only supporter feeling this way. I know I’m not the most diehard of fans, but given the time that I’ve dedicated over the years to supporting the club I’d say Ive been more invested than most. If this is the stage I’ve reached what’s happening to the casual fans?

I'm sorry, I read that as "we don't keep ANY".

Dragon David

First Grade
I think the dark times are here mate.

In the past 5 years I’ve gone from a supporter who attended 6 games a year, religiously watched us every weekend, and watched the vast majority of games even if they didn’t involve us. I loved talking about tactics and strategy on here.

I’m at the stage where I haven’t been to a single game this year, have cancelled Kayo, only really enjoy the forum to antagonize other people, and most likely won’t even bother watching the game tomorrow.

I can’t be the only supporter feeling this way. I know I’m not the most diehard of fans, but given the time that I’ve dedicated over the years to supporting the club I’d say Ive been more invested than most. If this is the stage I’ve reached what’s happening to the casual fans?
I think there are lot here that are following your trend SBD82. I'd cancel my Kayo too but I still like watching other sports and one of my sons follows/watches the Formula 1 races. I've been watching the Roosters v Cows game and because the Roosters have shown that they are on top in the game, I'm not interested in the outcome. Same goes for some other games being played if the team I want to win is going down. The interest in league has dropped for me as a consequence of the poor years continuing for the Dragons.

SBD82

Coach
I think there are lot here that are following your trend SBD82. I'd cancel my Kayo too but I still like watching other sports and one of my sons follows/watches the Formula 1 races. I've been watching the Roosters v Cows game and because the Roosters have shown that they are on top in the game, I'm not interested in the outcome. Same goes for some other games being played if the team I want to win is going down. The interest in league has dropped for me as a consequence of the poor years continuing for the Dragons.
I reckon it’d be nice to follow other sports. Might soften the blow a bit.

But I’m not much of a sports fan. Just a Dragons fan. If that makes sense.

Crush

Coach
Just watched coaches preview, Hook is delusional. Still talking about how well we played last week against the number 3 side, it was a really strong performance for 80 mins.
Yeah OK Hook, I particularly liked how you could have thrown a tissue over the team for most of the night in attack, as they looked disinterested, disoriented, disorganised.
Hook is delusional.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Bro, funny seeing one of Mary's loudest and proudest supporters death ride his replacement to seemingly no end.

Our problems run a whole lot deeper than the coach. Even if we sack Hook, the next poor bastard to step up to the mantle will have just as much work to do to pull us out of the spot we're in. You say it'll take five years to fix, below will explain why it's going to take that or more regardless. Unfortunately this fire was well and truly alight when your man Mary was coach.

Do you really think we've got this great nursery of juniors at our disposal and the only reason we're not winning is that we have a coach not giving them a run? That's delusional.

Here are some stats that might help you understand rather than simply relying on your feels:

NSW origin players who debuted in first grade for the dragons between 2002-2011:

NSW origin players who debuted in first grade for the dragons between 2012-2022

Under 20s/Reserve Grade premierships or runners up between 2002-2011

Under 20s/Reserve Grade Premierships or runners up between 2012-2022

Those stats tell me that the notion that we have this strong production line of juniors coming through is simply a fallacy.

People might like to hang their hats and hearts on Amone, Sloan and Sullivan and let's hope they can all come good but none have showed that much promise in first grade as yet, I hope they can all improve and reach their potential.

The big picture is clear, our grassroots and pathways has suffered for the last ten years at least. We are producing less quality players and we simply don't have the cattle as it is.

On the other side of the coin we don't have the wealthy financial backing to secure players with TPAs etc.

So as much as you don't like it, it's clear that the way forward from here is to rebuild the club from the ground up, Hook or no Hook that is the answer.

The centre of excellence will be a big step in that direction and let's hope we can start the junior pipeline back up again.

Sorry bro.

Crush

Coach
Bro, funny seeing one of Mary's loudest and proudest supporters death ride his replacement to seemingly no end.

Our problems run a whole lot deeper than the coach. Even if we sack Hook, the next poor bastard to step up to the mantle will have just as much work to do to pull us out of the spot we're in. You say it'll take five years to fix, below will explain why it's going to take that or more regardless. Unfortunately this fire was well and truly alight when your man Mary was coach.

Do you really think we've got this great nursery of juniors at our disposal and the only reason we're not winning is that we have a coach not giving them a run? That's delusional.

Here are some stats that might help you understand rather than simply relying on your feels:

NSW origin players who debuted in first grade for the dragons between 2002-2011:

NSW origin players who debuted in first grade for the dragons between 2012-2022

Under 20s/Reserve Grade premierships or runners up between 2002-2011

Under 20s/Reserve Grade Premierships or runners up between 2012-2022

Those stats tell me that the notion that we have this strong production line of juniors coming through is simply a fallacy.

People might like to hang their hats and hearts on Amone, Sloan and Sullivan and let's hope they can all come good but none have showed that much promise in first grade as yet, I hope they can all improve and reach their potential.

The big picture is clear, our grassroots and pathways has suffered for the last ten years at least. We are producing less quality players and we simply don't have the cattle as it is.

On the other side of the coin we don't have the wealthy financial backing to secure players with TPAs etc.

So as much as you don't like it, it's clear that the way forward from here is to rebuild the club from the ground up, Hook or no Hook that is the answer.

The centre of excellence will be a big step in that direction and let's hope we can start the junior pipeline back up again.

Sorry bro.
Oh hey bro, there he is!
What’s your thoughts on Craig Fitzgibbon?