What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Friday 20th August 8:05pm @Suncorp Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Right, time to move on and shift our focus to the next game and my catch phrase makes a return for this one.... That's right, it's a big week! An absolutely massive week in fact as we take on the Penrith Panthers in a second vs third battle. It doesn't get much bigger than this. Premiership contenders going up against each other and both teams will likely be full strength. While finishing second or third doesn't really matter this year, it's always nicer to say you finished second and we are likely to play each other again in the first week of the Finals so this game is really important because whoever wins will have the psychological edge heading into the Finals. As I said, it doesn't get much bigger than this.

Penrith have faultered slightly in recent weeks however, I'd almost completely put that down to injury and guys not being available for other reasons. They are now looking like they'll be full strength against us so will be a completely different propostition. I have no doubt they're going to be back to their best. There's a lot on the line for us but there's a lot on the line for them too so I imagine they're going to be extremely fired up and make no mistake, the Panthers can beat anyone when they're on. Our first port of call will be to match it with their forwards, something we weren't able to do last time we played but even just doing that is only half the job. They have a classy side with strike everywhere. Cleary, Luai, Burton, Crichton, Edwards, Koroisau, Kikau, Fisher-Harris, the list of class just goes on and on. We have to match that or we'll be dead in the water again.

For us, the time has come to see where we're really at. This is our biggest challenge of the Season so far and it has the chance to make or break us depending on how it goes. We've enjoyed the past ten weeks and come into this one flying, full of confidence and hopefully with a great attitude. We've been playing well against other sides but the question still remains, can we do it against a fellow contender? That's the trick. The past ten weeks don't matter if you can't turn it on in the big games so this is our chance to find out. We were way off in that Dubbo game so this is a chance to get it right this time and get some revenge for that one. We are likely to be full strength too which is massive. It's all about defence this week for me. Penrith are one of the best defensive teams in the comp but I'm confident we have the attack to match them, it's defence that needs to be the focus because they are one hell of an attacking team themselves. Time to stand up and show us what you've got boys.

Just as a side note, I've developed a genuine dislike for Penrith after the way they acted at last years Prelim. They've had the wood over us in recent times and that's stung just as much as losing to the Roosters or Storm. We don't want to feel that again. It's time to finally stand up to these pricks!! I know we can do it!!!

Massive game!! Let's all really fire up this week and make our voices heard! Friday can't come quick enough!

Jim Rockford

Bench
Just checked out the Riff Forum and they are even more Smug than usual (supposedly their forwards are going to "steamroll" ours). I can't wait to knock them down a few pegs this week, although I'm sure they will be ready with a plethora of excuses if they lose. Cody and Reyno to show Clearasil and Luai what real quality halves look like.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Let’s bash the smug out of ‘em!!!
Exactly the way I read it too.

Su'a is now cannon fodder. He is not part of our future. So, for this game, he needs to be brought into to the starting line up to knock The Chin right off his face, and break more vertebrae in his back.

Su'a can be sacrificed, and if he does this job well enough, he can be given a special bonus from Rusty

southsport

First Grade

Su'a is now cannon fodder. He is not part of our future. So, for this game, he needs to be brought into to the starting line up to knock The Chin right off his face, and break more vertebrae in his back.

Su'a can be sacrificed, and if he does this job well enough, he can be given a special bonus from Rusty
He might get sent off. :(

murraymob

Coach

Such a classy supporter wanting players injured .

soc123_au

Staff member

Just popped in for a bit of good natured banter, but you are an A grade f**kwit. Congratulations.

soc123_au

Staff member
Just checked out the Riff Forum and they are even more Smug than usual (supposedly their forwards are going to "steamroll" ours). I can't wait to knock them down a few pegs this week, although I'm sure they will be ready with a plethora of excuses if they lose. Cody and Reyno to show Clearasil and Luai what real quality halves look like.
The halves battle should be a ripper. I'm really looking forward to it.

I think our pack is better, but Latrell over Edwards evens things up a bit.

As much as I would enjoy us putting another 50 on you guys I'm really hoping for a good tight battle. I think both sides need it leading into the finals.

Jim Rockford

Bench
The halves battle should be a ripper. I'm really looking forward to it.

I think our pack is better, but Latrell over Edwards evens things up a bit.

As much as I would enjoy us putting another 50 on you guys I'm really hoping for a good tight battle. I think both sides need it leading into the finals.
No doubt this is going to be a great preview of the upcoming Finals. We've had it easy recently playing lesser teams so I'm keen to see us go up against a true quality team. A good tough battle with no injuries for either team and I'll be happy.

Jim Rockford

Bench

Wow Botany. Your post has got all the Housos in the Riff Forum riled up. I'm guessing their Dole cheques are going totally on booze this week as they try to calm down.

soc123_au

Staff member
No doubt this is going to be a great preview of the upcoming Finals. We've had it easy recently playing lesser teams so I'm keen to see us go up against a true quality team. A good tough battle with no injuries for either team and I'll be happy.
Yeah. No injuries would be good. We need at least a few teams fit and firing in the next 7 weeks to take down the Storm.

I read somewhere that our right side defence has only let in 6 tries this year. I'm pretty pumped to see how that side goes with your left side attack testing them all night. The winner of that battle will most likely decide the outcome of the game.

southsport

First Grade
Yeah. No injuries would be good. We need at least a few teams fit and firing in the next 7 weeks to take down the Storm.

I read somewhere that our right side defence has only let in 6 tries this year. I'm pretty pumped to see how that side goes with your left side attack testing them all night. The winner of that battle will most likely decide the outcome of the game.
We're all lookng forward to this encounter, it should be a ripper!!!