What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Friday 20th August 8:05pm @Suncorp Stadium

Nealo 12

Bench
Got to love a good conspiracy theory Jim, maybe you have been reading to many comics in your dads attic ?

Nealo 12

Bench
So good to see opposition fans (especially considering the magnitude of the match) who come in for a bit of banter but remain respectful. I tip my hat to the Panthers fans who have taken part in this thread and wish them all the best for the remainder of the season.
Ha ha what bullshit

This is an excellent post,you should get the job u obviously know the rules, who was in the bunker last night? Were,how, do we complain? We got pasted by that ref, they were offside jumping quikely we didnt get 1 repeat 6 again, we played the perfect team, we were given no chance and no penaltys, and if i ever see lui in the street ill whipe that lear off his face,what a arrogant dog
It’s not a usual call, but it was correct.

Here is the bit from the NRL rules and interpretations doc on the NRL website (https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/documentation/nrl_laws_interpretations_2020.pdf):

Downtown Chasers
A player is considered ‘downtown’ when:
A player who is in front of the kicker in general play who intentionally advances beyond the point
of the previous play the ball before the ball has gone past him.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay of it, I agree the ruling was technically correct. However, that is not the point. I can guarantee you a similar situation happens almost every game and is never pulled up. In all my years of watching Rugby League, this is the first time I've ever heard of a downtown penalty.

The fact is Atkins and the Bunker just pulled it out of their ass because they could.

The other issue is that it was actually the Bunker who pulled it up. I thought they weren't allowed to rule on anything or stop the game during general play unless it's foul play? They shouldn't have been allowed to pull it up anyway.

That's why I'm blowing up about it.

betcats

Referee
Most of the penalties were clear cut, even the down town one was clear cut as far as the rules go. Yeah guys stand in front of kickers all the time but they don’t end up with the ball in their hands, show a me time that has happened without a penalty being blown. As far as the game goes when we got defensive line speed and contact right in the second half you didn’t look like you had any answers at all.

handyman2190

Bench
Most of the penalties were clear cut, even the down town one was clear cut as far as the rules go. Yeah guys stand in front of kickers all the time but they don’t end up with the ball in their hands, show a me time that has happened without a penalty being blown. As far as the game goes when we got defensive line speed and contact right in the second half you didn’t look like you had any answers at all.
You were offside half the time and we didnt get any 6 agains,are u trying to say you have the perfect team? Well i call BS

Jim Rockford

Bench
So good to see opposition fans (especially considering the magnitude of the match) who come in for a bit of banter but remain respectful. I tip my hat to the Panthers fans who have taken part in this thread and wish them all the best for the remainder of the season.
Ha ha what bullshit
The truly funny thing is that you liked that post when it first went up. Guess that makes you a fan of bullshit. Hardly surprising given the amount of it you spread around this forum.

Wizardman

First Grade
Souths fans, blame the ref all you like. Fact is, you had total control of the match, yet lost it due to some dumb penalties and a Burgess drop. Penrith managed to change the momentum of the match. Your pack could not turn it back....as a matter of fact, your pack got worse as the match went on.
Two of Penrith's best metre men did not play on Friday but will in week one. Souths are in deep shit.

Jim Rockford

Bench
If you have 1st series of the more popular ones you would be able to buy the bunnies of Crowe .wish I had kept my ones as a kid
I do have some Silver Age stuff but my love is Bronze Age (1970-1984). With all the super-hero movies of the last couple of decades making it more mainstream, prices have gone ballistic. Luckily I bought most of the stuff I wanted about 20 years ago because I couldn't afford a lot of it now.

big hit!

Bench
As a supporter base, we have to accept once again that the forward rotation is satisfactory to do a job against average teams and allow the backs to get a roll.

However when the chips are down and the team needs to grind, it is clearly a peg below Melbourne and Penrith. Ill-discipline and errors cost them big time. Focusing on the reffing in this game is simply ignoring the glaring fact. It has happened regularly over the last couple of seasons against these big teams. Walker and Mitchell are most damaging when the opposition line speed is non-existent or disconnected. Penrith and Melbourne have been the yard stick here. Their rotation can dominate the middle which allows their edges time to get back and then sprint up together to hassle the Souths attack.

As good as he is, Murray can't do it on his own folks. He needs Junior, Tommy, Hame, Nicholls to support him in metres, and critically, not doing momentum-changing dumb shit.

Nealo 12

Bench
The truly funny thing is that you liked that post when it first went up. Guess that makes you a fan of bullshit. Hardly surprising given the amount of it you spread around this forum.
Wow Jim seek help so much anger , I know lockdown has been tough on you all

Botany Rabbit

Juniors
Show me where I said Luai isn't a grub. He gets penalised regularly for his grubby shit and it frustrates the hell out of me. The knees into Mansour was just unfortunate, but if it was penalised I'd wear it. Cody got away with a few stray elbows last night as well, some you win, some you lose.
His knee to the head is a couple of weeks of all the time these days, I would say preferential treatment on this occasion.

Last edited:

Botany Rabbit

Juniors
You should be thankful it was only an exhibition match with no premiership bearing whatsoever. By the way, your coach isn't blaming the refs, although he's bemused by the downtown ruling. He fully acknowledges his side's poor discipline. And I'm sure he also realises that Souths have only lost the penalties once in the previous 10 games, all of which they won comfortably. So he has a problem to fix, discipline under pressure, and he's got 3 weeks to do it. There's also the slight problem of being completely unable to make ground in possession against an efficient defence as the match went on, which I suspect is the biggest problem he faces.
He indirectly bagged the ref, when he was asked do you need to fix the discipline, he said "we are the least penalized team, leading the NRL for least indiscretions, I don't need to fix anything. Take what you will, but its Bennetts way of having a dig, without throwing 10k away.