What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Souths. Posts by @iamback are all opinion based

The Realist

Juniors
Surely Martin sits out this week. Even if he is fit, he needs a week or 2 to get back to his best.

I am okay either way. If Martins ankle is fine just play him but give him 10-15 mins less than normal. We can rest him against the Warriors anyway.

If he doesn't play, I think Chris Smith will do an okay job.

Original Name

Juniors
Martin's type of injury often looks much worse than it is. You're limping like you can barely walk when you do it then in like 6-12 days you're often fine.
Falls at 6 Salmon on the bench is the best team or am I missing something
I'd be very pretty confident Salmon's in over Falls for his defense. Falls is a pretty small halfback being a park semi pro player, full time carpenter up until the start of last year. He hasn't had years of pre seasons to build up his body without going to quickly and becoming injury prone like others have. Salmon has in contrast always been big for a half, has bulked up play backrow and handles contact much better denying the opposition momentum to an extent.

You can bet your house if Falls was playing last week Storm would have identified him as a spot, NAS would have been shifted to whichever edge he was on and that wouldn't have been pretty.

The good teams sending a big forward off the bench like NAS to target Soni Luke is also the worry I have too. Even if we play him off the bench when there's fatigue the opposition can just sit on a big destructive prop until he comes on.

Cam Smith used to have a call that he would do when he noticed a particular opposition fatiguing/not winning the ruck and that would be for every forward to target that specific person. Storm will not have changed that type thing.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
First time we've started a game as underdogs this year. Good place to be in. We were Melbourne 2021ing this comp until a fortnight back. We have no injuries which will effect the important games, Minor Premiership is sewn up and yet we can play with no expectations and get some real tough games under our belt. We won't go into September with a soft belly that's for sure.

Dominate field position & possession like we did against Melbourne and they will not maintain their composure and discipline as well. Few teams would handle the pressure of even a crap attack defending 40 tackles inside 20 and 55-60% possession without succumbing to fatigue.

Gonna be a cracker.

Iamback

Coach
Need Falls at 6. We won't create enough points to win with Salmon

I goes back to what I said a few weeks ago re offloads

Ivan is worried because Falls had a shocker in defence v Tigers, I will take a few missed tackles to get some attack going

Iamback

Coach
First time we've started a game as underdogs this year. Good place to be in. We were Melbourne 2021ing this comp until a fortnight back. We have no injuries which will effect the important games, Minor Premiership is sewn up and yet we can play with no expectations and get some real tough games under our belt. We won't go into September with a soft belly that's for sure.

Dominate field position & possession like we did against Melbourne and they will not maintain their composure and discipline as well. Few teams would handle the pressure of even a crap attack defending 40 tackles inside 20 and 55-60% possession without succumbing to fatigue.

Gonna be a cracker.

Teams always hit a wall at some stage, We are going on a similar path to the Sharks in 2016.

The Realist

Juniors
Actually thought ol' Salmon looked more dangerous in attack to nearly everyone else in our backline.

He looked good at times but too often he drifted past the position a centre normally takes and killed our backline as a result. Doing that is okay if you have very good speed and agility. He doesn't.

Munky

Coach
Salmon and SOS barely jog onto the ball in attack and are running toward their respective corner posts every time.

Both need to straighten up and play off that.

It'd be nice if either the second rower or centre would charge onto the ball running back against the defence too.

Critter due to his size should break tackles doing so but he is prone to the weird shuffle he does.

John Hamblin

Juniors
I would be kicking behind latrell and make him run. Whilst he can be devastating at time in some games he has a few handling errors. Kick often and early and lets see hoe fit he is.

Kilkenny

Coach
Hold the phone!! I thought there were no easy games.
I posted at the beginning of this season I believed we may be in for a season where the gap between the better sides and the lesser sides may be reduced. I suggested there may be more games, closer outcomes and more upsets. Clearly, the season hasn’t gone that way, and the eight best sides predicted prior to the start of the season are in fact the sides who make up the composition of the top 8.

I have always rejected the notion promoted by some on here that we were basically unbeatable. it was silly at the start of the season and looking even sillier now.

Injuries, suspensions, form are just some of the variables and we had a great run 17/1 but our good fortune rather run out.

we are fortunate in so much as we are basically guaranteed finishing as minor premiers so will be in a position to determine our own fate.

we have to get some momentum back going into the finals, it is very important. There are other sides fitter, less injuries in better form so it is going to be tough to wrestle back the momentum in our favour.

Iamback

Coach
I posted at the beginning of this season I believed we may be in for a season where the gap between the better sides and the lesser sides may be reduced. I suggested there may be more games, closer outcomes and more upsets. Clearly, the season hasn’t gone that way, and the eight best sides predicted prior to the start of the season are in fact the sides who make up the composition of the top 8.

I have always rejected the notion promoted by some on here that we were basically unbeatable. it was silly at the start of the season and looking even sillier now.

Injuries, suspensions, form are just some of the variables and we had a great run 17/1 but our good fortune rather run out.

we are fortunate in so much as we are basically guaranteed finishing as minor premiers so will be in a position to determine our own fate.

we have to get some momentum back going into the finals, it is very important. There are other sides fitter, less injuries in better form so it is going to be tough to wrestle back the momentum in our favour.

Who said we were unbeatable?

At full strength though we are very close and results across the past 3 seasons show that

Kilkenny

Coach
Who said we were unbeatable?

At full strength though we are very close and results across the past 3 seasons show that
You and Smug for starters. You’ve promoted this myth for this entire season.

Never for one minute did you ever conceive we may incur injuries or other misfortunes.

what happened in the past means nothing, it is all about the present, and that is what this whoLe notion no one can beat us was so silly.

Iamback

Coach

Never for one minute did you ever conceive we may incur injuries or other misfortunes.

Absolute garbage

Every team has them, I stated as much. I was only prepared to say we would be undefeated until Round 10. I never once have said we wouldn't lose a game.

Both of us have said IF we are injury free in finals we win the comp. That still applies

Smug Panther

First Grade

what happened in the past means nothing, it is all about the present, and that is what this whoLe notion no one can beat us was so silly.
I said from the get go we'd win the 2021 premiership.......and I'll say once again we'll win the 2022 premiership. After that we are back to the pack

Kilkenny

Coach
Absolute garbage

Every team has them, I stated as much. I was only prepared to say we would be undefeated until Round 10. I never once have said we wouldn't lose a game.

Both of us have said IF we are injury free in finals we win the comp. That still applies
it’s not garbage at all.

you didn’t put any disclaimers on anything you and Smug were all about no one could beat us.

you promoted a myth that Nathan Cleary wasn't key to our success, half backs are not the be all and end all.

Nathen is actually a key to our success and without him we won’t be there in the first week of October.

Whino

Bench
Absolute garbage

I am the same. Full strength and in form no team can match our best. We are that far ahead of the other teams when firing.
The key is staying injury free and getting into some good form.