What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Souths. Posts by @iamback are all opinion based

Souths need to beat either Cowboys or Rooster to make the 8. They are a very real chance of losing both games. If that occurs and Raiders can beat Knights, Manly and Tigers (which is totally doable), then Raiders take 8th. That would be totally crazy given the Souths premiership chance talk recently.
How good would it be if Souths do lose next week, while Easts lose to the Storm and Canberra keep winning.

That would leave a round 25 win and in game between Easts and Souths. Thunderdome on a football field….

A really good game to watch. Plenty of intensity as we get to the business end of the year and some brilliant football, especially from South's. A couple of points:

• We bag Ivan for his use of the bench, but the results speak for themselves. We keep winning. Last night his latest bench trickery was to play the starting props Leota and Eisenhuth (37m and 23m) for less minutes than the bench props Leniu and Hopgood (33m and 41m). The starters did the tackling and the benchies did the running.

Did it work? Well, Leniu was getting 11m a run with 8 runs for 91m and 77m post contact! His play the ball speed was the fastest in the team. They had no answer to his intensity and he made 16 tackles for no misses. He can really be one of the best props in the game when he matures. Moses is just keeping his spot warm.

• I thought Salmon looked really distracted last week. The whole pathetic Stuart saga got to him. This week I thought he was indeed “God Plod” (thanks Martielang). He is no Luke Walsh. He will take the tackle and did it many times when Souths had moved up to shut out the right edge, a repeated tactic by them. He is deceptively strong because they tackle him and he manages to “plod” forward with 44m post contact out of 100m running. I thought his judgement at choosing not to pass was really good. If it was his fault the edge was found wanting, he is obviously a good listener because in the second half the breaks on the edge were restricted.

• Staines on the bench made sense to me, especially against South’s. He can play fullback five eight and wing. With Salmon already playing, there is nobody on the bench with the speed to cover injured backs. Chris Smith offers nothing that Hopgood doesn’t already have. If a winger was hurt, imagine having Smith in the centres with Walker directing traffic? Makes you break out in a sweat just thinking about it.

• We sometimes forget that this is May and Tagos first year in first grade. Once again, they were magnificent, taking the tough runs, getting the yardage and sticking their tackles. May had 5 tackle breaks as well. They are absolute guns and I agree that Tago and May are currently better than Crichton and To’o who are a bit down on form. I would like to rest them so their bodies can have a bit of respite from a massive effort this year. They don’t have the years of conditioning to help them cope with the wear and tear.

• Yeo. We are not worthy. 45 tackles 100%. 173m. He washed the coach’s car and cooked dinner for the team after the game too. Probably…..

• Liam Martin was awesome. Tackle stats don’t measure how much they hurt. He hits hard and sometimes he misses because he tries to smash people. You can see players looking out for him, hoping to avoid him. Missing the two tries was neither here nor there. He put himself in a position to score because of his desire, a desire he showed for the full 80 minutes. The try was the least he deserved.

• I thought the Kenny ploy worked perfectly. Api made a difference when he was on because he was nice and fresh. Maybe there is our template for next year with a Kenny, Luke rotation.

Finally, well done boys, an awesome effort. If you had said we could win the JJG with Cleary only playing 14 games and Luai 16 games, I would have said you were crazy and arrogant. "Nobody can win the JJG with their starting halves missing a third of the season. You are a fool" I would have said. My Schultz defence is "I know nothing".
I gave someone post of the year last night but might have gone too early (consistent issue, ask my wife).

Re; Salmon and a good listener. Our last 4 games the difference between the first and second halves have been incredible. Talks not only to the fitness of the team but also the quality of the coaching staff in terms of a) being able to diagnose issues on the run and then b) communicate the required changes in an efficient way.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I gave someone post of the year last night but might have gone too early (consistent issue, ask my wife).

Re; Salmon and a good listener. Our last 4 games the difference between the first and second halves have been incredible. Talks not only to the fitness of the team but also the quality of the coaching staff in terms of a) being able to diagnose issues on the run and then b) communicate the required changes in an efficient way.
Absolute gold 😆

It's going to hurt when we suck again.
Enjoy it while you can!!

Albeit, I think the future is bright for a few years still; got great players right across the side even with next years losses. The last few games have shown we can lose some truly great players and still perform as a top 4 side. The real risk is probably three years down the line when Fish, Yeo and Luai slow down and start to underperform their contracts.

Girds89

Bench
Anytime Api is off the field we are worse for it. He easily plays 80 and never slows down
How will you cope next year without api mate haha.

Ive seen some man crushes on here but your api love is on another level.

Our best 9 ever and best in the game tho.

Huge loss..

Hes good for 6 points a week sometimes more.

Kiks normally good for 6 points a week too..be it setting one up or scoring.

The way i see it thats 12 points a week next year we will have to find a way to make up.

Anyway...this year first

Crashtest

Juniors
A really good game to watch. Plenty of intensity as we get to the business end of the year and some brilliant football, especially from South's. A couple of points:

• We bag Ivan for his use of the bench, but the results speak for themselves. We keep winning. Last night his latest bench trickery was to play the starting props Leota and Eisenhuth (37m and 23m) for less minutes than the bench props Leniu and Hopgood (33m and 41m). The starters did the tackling and the benchies did the running.

Did it work? Well, Leniu was getting 11m a run with 8 runs for 91m and 77m post contact! His play the ball speed was the fastest in the team. They had no answer to his intensity and he made 16 tackles for no misses. He can really be one of the best props in the game when he matures. Moses is just keeping his spot warm.

• I thought Salmon looked really distracted last week. The whole pathetic Stuart saga got to him. This week I thought he was indeed “God Plod” (thanks Martielang). He is no Luke Walsh. He will take the tackle and did it many times when Souths had moved up to shut out the right edge, a repeated tactic by them. He is deceptively strong because they tackle him and he manages to “plod” forward with 44m post contact out of 100m running. I thought his judgement at choosing not to pass was really good. If it was his fault the edge was found wanting, he is obviously a good listener because in the second half the breaks on the edge were restricted.

• Staines on the bench made sense to me, especially against South’s. He can play fullback five eight and wing. With Salmon already playing, there is nobody on the bench with the speed to cover injured backs. Chris Smith offers nothing that Hopgood doesn’t already have. If a winger was hurt, imagine having Smith in the centres with Walker directing traffic? Makes you break out in a sweat just thinking about it.

• We sometimes forget that this is May and Tagos first year in first grade. Once again, they were magnificent, taking the tough runs, getting the yardage and sticking their tackles. May had 5 tackle breaks as well. They are absolute guns and I agree that Tago and May are currently better than Crichton and To’o who are a bit down on form. I would like to rest them so their bodies can have a bit of respite from a massive effort this year. They don’t have the years of conditioning to help them cope with the wear and tear.

• Yeo. We are not worthy. 45 tackles 100%. 173m. He washed the coach’s car and cooked dinner for the team after the game too. Probably…..

• Liam Martin was awesome. Tackle stats don’t measure how much they hurt. He hits hard and sometimes he misses because he tries to smash people. You can see players looking out for him, hoping to avoid him. Missing the two tries was neither here nor there. He put himself in a position to score because of his desire, a desire he showed for the full 80 minutes. The try was the least he deserved.

• I thought the Kenny ploy worked perfectly. Api made a difference when he was on because he was nice and fresh. Maybe there is our template for next year with a Kenny, Luke rotation.

Finally, well done boys, an awesome effort. If you had said we could win the JJG with Cleary only playing 14 games and Luai 16 games, I would have said you were crazy and arrogant. "Nobody can win the JJG with their starting halves missing a third of the season. You are a fool" I would have said. My Schultz defence is "I know nothing".
Well said on everything. This is another post I wish I could like more than once.

You definitely deserve the post of the month award!

Crashtest

Juniors
We didn’t seem to be doing too badly last night fro the first 20 minutes also (at least in terms of moving the ball up the field and middle defence).
And we have won over 80% of games over the last 3 seasons when Kenny has started at hooker. And that’s without having an attacking threat like Luke to come off the bench to help cover the role.

snickers007

Juniors
Have you actually watched Soni Luke play recently ?

I reckon Franklin has seen Soni Luke play more games in August than you have in your life.

Deadset the guy attends every home game at Penrith, travels to every away game in Sydney and hits up Flegg, NSW Cup and Matts/Ball more often than not.

Also, it's quite a stretch to assume that he was talking about Soni Luke when no players were mentioned in his post (or the post that he quoted).

This is a crazy comment IMO, and I think you're better than this.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I reckon Franklin has seen Soni Luke play more games in August than you have in your life.

Deadset the guy attends every home game at Penrith, travels to every away game in Sydney and hits up Flegg, NSW Cup and Matts/Ball more often than not.

Also, it's quite a stretch to assume that he was talking about Soni Luke when no players were mentioned in his post (or the post that he quoted).

This is a crazy comment IMO, and I think you're better than this.

So Franklin's opinion is worth more than mine, because he travels to see cup and junior games.......Right ?

That's a bit like saying someone is a better supporter or fan the other.

Don't waste my time writing such twaddle.

Iamback

Coach
Have you actually watched Soni Luke play recently ?

If I recall correctly. Some were predicting doom and gloom this year because Burton and Capewell were moving on.

I watch most NSW Cup games.

Api doesn't play we lose last night and v Canberra.

A hooker won't come in and have that same match awareness, it will take time.

Look at the ladder behind us is all tight, A few losses puts us back in that chasing pack

The Realist

Juniors
Enjoy it while you can!!

Albeit, I think the future is bright for a few years still; got great players right across the side even with next years losses. The last few games have shown we can lose some truly great players and still perform as a top 4 side. The real risk is probably three years down the line when Fish, Yeo and Luai slow down and start to underperform their contracts.

Yep 3-4 years down the track...we either keep underperformimg aging players or lose the 'culture'.

Latest posts