What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 vs. Melbourne Storm Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos vs. Melbourne Storm
Suncorp Stadium, Friday 19 August 2022
Kick Off: 7:55pm

BRI2022TEAM.png

1. Te Maire Martin 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Delouise Hoeter 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Ezra Mam 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Thomas Flegler 9. Billy Walters 10. Payne Haas 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Kobe Hetherington

Interchange: 14. Jake Turpin 15. Rhys Kennedy 16. Corey Jensen 17. Ryan James

Reserves:
18. Jordan Pereira 19. Cory Paix 20. Tyson Gamble 21. Xavier Willison 22. Zac Hosking

MEL2022TEAM.png

1. Nick Meaney 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Young Tonumaipea 4. Justin Olam 5. Xavier Coates 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Harry Grant 10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 11. Tom Eisenhuth 12. Kenny Bromwich 13. Josh King

Interchange:
14. Brandon Smith 15. Tui Kamikamica 16. Chris Lewis 17. Tyran Wishart

Reserves: 18. Alec MacDonald 19. Jayden Nikorima 20. Grant Anderson 21. Jordan Grant 22. Trent Loiero​

Big Pete

Referee
Gut check time for the Broncos. They bounced back against Newcastle and showed some of the resilience that had been lacking in previous weeks but that will be put to the test against Melbourne. Brisbane haven't beaten Melbourne since 2016 and they haven't beaten them at Suncorp Stadium since 2009 so history is on the Storm's side.

Brisbane have largely named an unchanged line-up with Kobe Hetherington named to start. It will be interesting to see if it remains that way heading into kick-off but I can't see Willison or Hosking coming in. Turpin keeps his place at 14 with Paix still finding his way in Queensland Cup. Reportedly his form hasn't been great for the Magpies and the Broncos will be hoping he gets himself right because Paix at 14 offers more than Turpin.

I expect the Storm to replicate what the Roosters did a fortnight ago. They'll look to generate momentum through the middle and play off a Brandon Smith play the ball before shifting left and giving their outside men space. Brisbane are really going to have to muscle up in that middle with more effective first contact and better line-speed to disrupt the Storm's rhythm.

In attack Te Maire is going to have to be very active to try and exploit the edges. Both Coates and Nofoaluma like to come off their wing so throwing as much deception as possible will be the key. I'd also like to see them using Staggs more coming in from an angle to try and exploit the defence in the middle. I feel you can find a lot of space and Staggs is one of those players who is just as effective as running against the grain.

A win would be a huge confidence booster for the Broncos and season defining. Based on form, I expect it to be something like 28-16 Melbourne with Brisbane playing well in patches but Melbourne being too slick and too strong.

Big Pete

Referee
Melbourne Storm 60 def. Brisbane Broncos 12 (Capewell, Oates tries; Reynolds 2/2 goals)

13-9

The Broncos 2022 premiership aspirations were dealt a major blow after Melbourne wracked up 60 points infront of 42,000 fans.

Melbourne physically had the Broncos measure from the start and with Harry Grant, Cameron Munster and Jahrome Hughes pulling the strings were three steps ahead of the Broncos all game. When Ryan James missed a simple 1-1 assignment close to the line on Tui Kamicka it spelt a long night that only got worse as the game wore on.

Latest posts