What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 vs. Warriors Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos vs. Warriors
Suncorp Stadium, Sunday 22 August 2021
Kick Off: 4:05pm

BRISBANE-2021.png

1. Tesi Niu 2. Corey Oates 3. Selwyn Cobbo 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Xavier Coates 6. Anthony Milford 7. Albert Kelly 8. Thomas Flegler 9. Danny Levi 10. Payne Haas 11. Alex Glenn 12. Jordan Riki 13. Kobe Hetherington

Interchange:
14. David Mead 15. Rhys Kennedy 16. Ethan Bullemor 17. TC Robati

Reserves: 18. Cory Paix 19. Brendan Piakura 20. Brodie Croft 21. Jake Turpin

WARRIORS-2021.png

1. Reece Walsh 2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 3. Peta Hiku 4. Adam Pompey 5. Marcelo Montoya 6. Chanel Harris-Tavita 7. Sean O’Sullivan 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Wayde Egan 10. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 11. Josh Curran 12. Euan Aitken 13. Bayley Sironen

Interchange: 14. Kodi Nikorima 15. Bunty Afoa 16. Eliesa Katoa 17. Jazz Tevaga

Reserves: 18. Edward Kosi 20. Jackson Frei 21. Jack Murchie 22. Chad Townsend​

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Willison is out for the rest of the season with an ACL rupture. Gamble will also miss the next two games after being charged with a Grade 1 Crusher.

In better news, Albert Kelly was cleared of any serious knee injury after some initial concerns following Radley's reckless charge down attempt.

Herbie Farnworth should return and I'd imagine Cory Paix will come in for Gamble with Anthony Milford being given an opportunity at 6. Will be interesting to see if Kevie will give Brendan Piakura his debut or if he'll stick with Ethan Bullemor.

No Queensland Cup this week either so Kevie won't be able to get any footy into his younger players.

Also no Matt Lodge for the Warriors who is still serving a two week suspension emanating from the Cronulla game.

Showtime

Juniors
I thought it was a pretty solid win today and probably 6 points closer then what it should’ve been.

It’s enjoyable watching the younger guys get an extended run for the future but also build a bit of resilience in defence.

Haas was doing Haas things while Flegler managed to rack up 143m. Fleglers hands make me nervous but he can still do things which make you think he could be anything. I’d prefer Riki get a little more involved instead of being stuck out on the edge. I get Finucane vibes from Hetherington, his technique clearly drilled into him by the old man.

I have no idea which is the best positions for Farnworth, Niu and Cobbo but they all flash potential. Even Levi looked solid and maybe a little better than Turpin which is the main concern for 2022.

Big Pete

Referee
I haven't caught a replay just yet but time is getting away from me so I'll pass on my thoughts.

The Broncos nearly let it slip but fortunately, Farnworth's goal-kicking proved a difference. It shouldn't come as a surprise, Farnworth was one of the top point-scorers in the 2019 QCup season but it's nice to see the Broncos finally have some depth in what's historically been a tough role at the club.

It ended up 5 tries Warriors to 4 Brisbane but the final Warriors try was shrouded in controversy. Graham Annesly tried to justify the call on his Monday media conference but ended up revealing that the referee had identified the wrong hand. He believed it was Aitken's hand underneath Coates' when the replay showed the complexion of the hand matched Coates and didn't have wrapping like Aitken's did.

In fairness it was a close call and what made it difficult is that it was sent up as a knock on. It was inconclusive to call it a knock on, but it appeared that Coates grounded the ball ahead of Aitken. It should have been a goal line drop-out to the Warriors. In a way it proved a blessing in disguise since Walsh was unable to convert the try and had to rely on a 2 point field goal which ended up sailing wide.

As far as the performance itself, Haas and Flegler once again laid a strong platform and they received nice support from Hetherington, Kennedy and Bullemor. That left edge was also really good at working the ball out of trouble, if Farnworth can look to link with Oates he'd be well on his way to becoming a good centre.

The big talking point out of the game was the performance of Anthony Milford. It was easily his most impressive game of the season - 1 Try, 2 Try Assists, 2 Line-Break Assists, 19 runs, 5 Tackle-Breaks, 2 Offloads, 15 Kicks. The last time Milford produced a man of the match performance like that would have been the Round 25 2018 win against Manly. It wasn't a perfect performance by any means, but it was a big improvement over his last start at five eighth where he was hooked against Melbourne.

Bronco18

Juniors
In fairness it was a close call and what made it difficult is that it was sent up as a knock on. It was inconclusive to call it a knock on, but it appeared that Coates grounded the ball ahead of Aitken. It should have been a goal line drop-out to the Warriors. In a way it proved a blessing in disguise since Walsh was unable to convert the try and had to rely on a 2 point field goal which ended up sailing wide.
Is Kevvy playing a tactical game here?

He never blows up about the refs despite a few dead set duds this year (Manly + this game immediately come to mind). It seems only the coaches of competitive teams do it, which can make them look like spoilt brats in comparison.

Better to save a rant for next year so he has some kudos built up and it might actually impact future competitive (dare I say finals) games?

Big Pete

Referee
Is Kevvy playing a tactical game here?

He never blows up about the refs despite a few dead set duds this year (Manly + this game immediately come to mind). It seems only the coaches of competitive teams do it, which can make them look like spoilt brats in comparison.

Better to save a rant for next year so he has some kudos built up and it might actually impact future competitive (dare I say finals) games?
That's my thinking but when he does have a bone to pick with the officials he better not go too hard. Just something to the effect that I've bit my tongue on every other occasion but that ruling was farcical. If he goes the Robinson route and comes out with something to the effect that there's a conspiracy against the Broncos I think it will just blow up in his face.

It's not something that you really hope happens in the future since you want the team to be on the winning side but Brisbane are going to do well just to make the 8 next season.