What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 - Roosters vs Rabbitohs: Friday 27th August 7:55pm @Suncorp Stadium

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Fantastic story here on the GOAT, Mark Nicholls. I didn't know a lot of that about him. Man what a legend,

NRL 2021: Souths prop Mark Nicholls reveals why he always disappeared 10 minutes into every game

It’s a running joke at Souths. Their workaholic prop rises from the interchange bench at a precise time of the game and, without a word, heads up the tunnel. Now we can reveal why.

When Mark Nicholls first started disappearing 10 minutes into every NRL game he played, nobody even noticed.

Yet now? Now, it’s a running joke at South Sydney.

So predictable too that, over the past 18 months, Rabbitohs blue shirt John Sutton has even set his watch to coincide with Nicholls rising from that interchange bench and, without a word, jogging off and up the tunnel of whichever stadium they’re playing at.

Exactly when it started? Nicholls himself has no idea.

For as long as he can remember, his game-day ritual has always involved returning to the sheds when that match clock hits double digits.

Same as before games, he must also shower in the dressing room. After that, take an ice bath.

“Then 10 minutes into the game,” he says, “I disappear to the toilet”.

Strange? Absolutely.

But so too is the career of this NRL journeyman who, as recently as June, had churned through 10 seasons, three clubs and 94 first grade games – yet never started once.

“Actually, no, there was one game,” Nicholls says after a pause, almost apologetically. “Three years ago, I started a game for Souths.

“But for every other game before this year, they’d all been off the bench.”

Which is how rugby league’s strangest superstition began.

“Initially, it was a time-waster,” the prop continues. “A way to conserve nervous energy. Then after a while it just became something I had to do.”

But define him? No, if anything, Nicholls is the guy who refuses to leave.

Some claim when you learn how during his 2014 season with Canberra, this country kid from Leeton went an entire year without coach Ricky Stuart playing him. Just as Craig Bellamy would do himself, two winters later in Melbourne.

All up, part of a run which in his first six years of NRL, saw the interchange forward make just 28 appearances.

“Including twice,” he says, “where I waited two years between games.”

But disappear? No, Nicholls has continually done the opposite.

Sure, he may still be something like Johnny Anonymous in a Souths side boasting the likes of Cody Walker, Cam Murray and Latrell Mitchell. A fella who may have debuted the same year as Bunnies favourite Adam Reynolds, yet has played less than half his 227 games.

Yet know that when Nicholls runs out for this Friday night’s blockbuster against the Roosters, he will do so with two plates in his cheek, two rods in his forearm and a leg broken in 2018.

The 31-year-old has also fought back from serious stress fractures in his foot – an injury he played on for a fortnight given it came immediately after returning from having all ligaments in his thumb reattached.

None of which most NRL fans know. But Bunnies players, they do.

Which is why within days of Bennett arriving at Redfern in 2019, and quietly pulling Sam Burgess aside to ask who should be kept, the Englishman immediately backed Nicholls.

“Doesn’t get much opportunity, Coach,” Burgess said. “But us boys, we want to play with him”.

So ever since, they have.

Nicholls has amassed 66 appearances under the game’s oldest coach, and since Round 14 he has become a regular starter for the first time in his decade of NRL action.

Why does Bennett like him so much?

“Haven’t let Wayne down, I guess,” he says simply. “Just turn up, do my job.”

It’s not how Nicholls initially expected his rugby league life to go.

Growing up on acreage in the Riverina, this young Storm fan spent his afternoons mimicking Billy Slater on a backyard field made by the old man, Dave.

“Billy debuted when I was 12,” says Nicholls, who signed up to the Leeton Raiders aged four.

“So every afternoon after school – and I know this sounds silly – but I’d get out on that field and play games by myself.

“If Melbourne were versing, say, South Sydney, I’d go out there and recreate the match – chip kicking, passing, scoring tries, all of it. And every time, I was Billy Slater.”

Thing is though, he wasn’t.

It’s a truth Nicholls learned just three years later, when sweating through his first weeks at Canberra with fellow Harold Matthews Cup hopefuls.

“Every Friday we’d do testing, just to see which guys had what attributes,” he says. “And I quickly realised I wasn’t that fast, and I wasn’t that strong.”

So what was Nicholls good at?

“Trained hard,” he says. “And tried to make the most of whatever I did have.”

That ethic helped the affable Leeton product not only play NSW U18s and Junior Kangaroos, but make a dozen appearances in his first NRL season to claim Canberra Rookie of the Year honours.

But was it the start of big things? Um, no.

Instead, after a strong 2012 debut season, Nicholls would play just two more games over the next two years before, frustrated and wanting more, he quit for a one-year deal with the club he cheered as a schoolboy.

“All my life I’d seen guys go to Melbourne and become NRL players, representative players,” he says. “So I signed hoping Craig Bellamy might work his magic on me, too.”

Yet first year? Nicholls never played a game.

With thumb and foot injuries becoming part of an ongoing battle, the insecurity of four consecutive 12 month contracts weighed on him. Each one, minimum wage, too.

Grind is nothing new for this footballer who over the past three years, on days off, has worked in both the Rabbitohs front office, then the sales department of a Sydney clothing company.

Just as during his five seasons with Canberra and Melbourne, Nicholls spent most weekends flying north into Brisbane for Queensland Cup games.

“Then after fulltime, I’d head straight back to the airport,” he recalls. “You’d get home at one o’clock in morning, then often go train with the NRL squad later that day.”

Even in 2017, when Nicholls played nine times for a Storm side that would eventually win the grand final, he still missed out on a premiership ring.

Then, got cut.

But not before earning at least a sprinkle of that Bellamy magic dust he craved.

“Every game I played for Melbourne, Craig would say ‘you might only get 10 minutes tonight, but be the hardest worker out there’,” Nicholls says. “He was always telling me that was my strength.”

Which mattered.

“At Canberra, I was always trying to play more like the guys ahead of me,” he continues. “But in Melbourne, I learned that hard work can really be enough.”

So when new Souths coach Anthony Seibold reached out just before the 2018 season with a contract – one year, minimum wage, no promises – Nicholls grabbed it.

The start of what has now become not only four years packing down among Bunnies superstars, but come this Friday night’s local derby against the Roosters, his 11th straight game as a starter.

“So my regular toilet runs,” he laughs, “they’re over”.

Nicholls has also become a husband to wife Perrie, a father to baby girl Darcie, now 15 months, and completed not one, but two university degrees.

Outside of club community work, the Souths prop also volunteers at a Salvation Army shelter, and regularly encourages teammates to join him. Which to a man, they do.

Exactly as Burgess predicted for Bennett.

Yes, Nicholls may be the least hyped name at Redfern HQ. Yet if Souths are to become the side that really does go and upset a Melbourne juggernaut this year, much will depend on the workaholic prop they once cut.

A fella who played seven games in four seasons. Or 28 games in six.

A country boy who, the guy defending each side of him knows, will continue aiming up for however deep into the playoffs these Rabbitohs go.

Then after that?

“Ah, I’m off contract again,” Nicholls says.

callmack1

Staff member
Wooooo!! Fire up everyone! Game day is finally here! It's not just any old game day either. It's one we always circle on the calandar, one that always means just that little bit more. That's right, another chapter in the infamous Bok of Fueds will be written tonight as we take on our arch-rivals, the Roosters. There's no doubt this is the biggest rivalry in the game. No rivalry is as real as this and no rivalry has this much sting, not even State of Origin. It's the oldest rivalry in the game and certainly the most fierce. 113 years of spite, jealousy, poaching players, drama, firey battles, and everything else you could possibly imagine. 113 years of genuine hate. In fact, as I said at the start of the week, hate is a pretty strong word but it certainly isn't strong enough to describe how we feel about these wankers from Bondi.

Not only that, but this is a top four clash. The Roosters have been hammered by injury but the fact remains they are still in the top four. As much as we love to hate them, that deserves some respect. They have no right to be where they are on the ladder yet, they're still fighting. That is why they demand respect from us in this game. They're even more decimated than normal tonight but I feel we still can't take them lightly. They'll see this as a big challenge and they'll come after us no doubt. We have to be ready for that. The key tonight is going to be shutting down Tedesco and Manu which has proven easier said than done. They're their main men tonight so we must limit their impact as much as possible. We must also be wary because I get the feeling the Roosters will do anything they can to disrupt us.

For our boys, it's all about putting that BS game last week behind us and getting back on the horse tonight. This is a must win game and we need the win for our confidence heading into the Finals. I have no doubt that confidence is currently sky high around the club but that certainly wouldn't be the case if we were to drop this game too. So we have to be professional, focus, complete, defend well, have better dicipline and keep that attack flowing. I want to see us show them no mercy.

Adding to the occasion is the 100 milestone games of Cam Murray and Jai Arrow so let's get out there and do it for them. This is war! Let's gooooo!!!

Egan Butcher???
I found him, that sualli guy.

He was half through his McHamster Junior meal at playland and the roosters graded him.

He’s up for special treatment due to being a traitor to Souths. Your lads won’t care about his tender age.

His indoctrination into the thought crimes of the Roosters is complete. He’s going to grow up hating the bunnies through his whole career and he needs to learn a few salient lessons as to the consequences of actions.

I hope he still has a twig of his conscience left but I doubt it.

Having said that, the bunnies treatment of Renno has put a stake through the heart of the clubs integrity that will take a generation to repair. All is not lost, but the concept of the noble rabbit remains on life support.

Fittler was another sell out. Don’t trust him building false confidence.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
Rabbitohs 19-man squad for Round 24: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/08/26/rabbitohs-19-man-squad-for-round-24/

Man, JWH out for them is massive. Through everything, he's their forward leader, their go-to man in the pack. Big loss for them. To be honest, I'm actually a little disappointed he's out, always love seeing Souths forwards go after him!

Stoked that Cookie is good to go for us!

I'm disappointed he's out because he was the ill-disciplined leader who hurt them in the first game this season. Suluka-Fifita just followed his example

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well it’s that time of the week again Game Day! It’s not just any old game day either it’s one we circle on the calendar when the draw comes out against our biggest most hated arch rival and enemy the Roosters. It doesn’t get much bigger the most bitter rivalry in the game going back to 1908. We all know hate is not a word we use lightly but the word hatred just rolls off our tongues when we are talking about the Roosters we just can’t stand them and the rivalry and hatred is as strong as ever. So tonight will be yet again another chapter in the book of feuds. This is a game where we leave nothing in the tank players and members and fans.

Looking at the Roosters they have had so so many injuries all year yet they still sit 4th. They have been playing pretty well considering how many they’ve had out and for that they deserve to be shown some respect. They still have dangerous players there Teddy is really now in brilliant form, Manu and Tupou offer plenty of stroke out wide, there is young Sam Walker turning it on in the halves and they still have SST, Liu, Tupouinua, Verrills in the pack along with some young forwards playing well so we can’t take them lightly.

For us it’s about building and fine tuning our game with only two rounds left. It’s about getting our attack on, limiting our errors and having improved discipline than last week is needed first and foremost though. I say it every week but the most important thing for us is our defence and continuing to work hard on it as come finals you win big games off the back of your defence. So I don’t want to see any soft tries conceded tonight. Cody and Trell were a bit quiet last week so let’s hope they turn it on tonight.

To our QLD members and fans going to Suncorp tonight shout, scream and chant your lungs out for all us NSW Rabbitohs Members who have to watch from home. We will also be cheering and chanting loudly from at home and clapping our hands red raw.

Tonight we should put the cleaners through these Bondi Wanka’s, lets demoralise them and finish off their hopes of finishing 4th for we would take great delight in doing so.

SO RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS EVERYONE ON YOUR FEET AT 8:05PM, CLAP YOUR HANDS SHOW THE COLURS STAMP YOUR FEET AND SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT FOR YYOOUURRRRR SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS!!!

LETS ALL ENJOY SOME SCRUMPTIOUS FRIED CHICKEN TONIGHT WITH ALL THE TRIMMINGS GLORY GLORY!

Well it’s that time of the week again Game Day! It’s not just any old game day either it’s one we circle on the calendar when the draw comes out against our biggest most hated arch rival and enemy the Roosters. It doesn’t get much bigger the most bitter rivalry in the game going back to 1908. We all know hate is not a word we use lightly but the word hatred just rolls off our tongues when we are talking about the Roosters we just can’t stand them and the rivalry and hatred is as strong as ever. So tonight will be yet again another chapter in the book of feuds. This is a game where we leave nothing in the tank players and members and fans.

Looking at the Roosters they have had so so many injuries all year yet they still sit 4th. They have been playing pretty well considering how many they’ve had out and for that they deserve to be shown some respect. They still have dangerous players there Teddy is really now in brilliant form, Manu and Tupou offer plenty of stroke out wide, there is young Sam Walker turning it on in the halves and they still have SST, Liu, Tupouinua, Verrills in the pack along with some young forwards playing well so we can’t take them lightly.

For us it’s about building and fine tuning our game with only two rounds left. It’s about getting our attack on, limiting our errors and having improved discipline than last week is needed first and foremost though. I say it every week but the most important thing for us is our defence and continuing to work hard on it as come finals you win big games off the back of your defence. So I don’t want to see any soft tries conceded tonight. Cody and Trell were a bit quiet last week so let’s hope they turn it on tonight.

To our QLD members and fans going to Suncorp tonight shout, scream and chant your lungs out for all us NSW Rabbitohs Members who have to watch from home. We will also be cheering and chanting loudly from at home and clapping our hands red raw.

Tonight we should put the cleaners through these Bondi Wanka’s, lets demoralise them and finish off their hopes of finishing 4th for we would take great delight in doing so.

SO RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS EVERYONE ON YOUR FEET AT 8:05PM, CLAP YOUR HANDS SHOW THE COLURS STAMP YOUR FEET AND SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT FOR YYOOUURRRRR SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS!!!

LETS ALL ENJOY SOME SCRUMPTIOUS FRIED CHICKEN TONIGHT WITH ALL THE TRIMMINGS GLORY GLORY!

Get out there and rip their f**king heads off!