What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 - Rabbitohs vs Dragons: Saturday 4th September 7:35pm @Sunshine Coast Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Well it's time to move on and we have to move on. Time to drop the game with the Roosters and all the drama that came with it, and look towards our clash against the Dragons this Saturday night. Hard to believe we're into the final Round of the Regular Season, it's gone so bloody fast!! But anyway, here we are. I'm not going to say it's a big game because it's not, the result doesn't really matter at all. We can't improve or drop down from third and the Dragons aren't playing Finals so there's not a lot riding on this one. In saying that, St George Illawarra are a traditional rival so we always love to beat them and it'll be nice to finish the Regular Season with a win.

As I said, the Dragons can't make the Finals so all they're playing for this week is pride. Now, that can always be quite dangerous so we're gonna need to be careful. They have nothing to lose at all so I'm sure their attitude and style of play will reflect that. They'll throw it around a lot, offload and they'll push the envelope a bit with the rules I'm sure. They'll come out with a great attitude and a will to win, I have no doubt about that so we're going to have to be on our game. Despite their ladder position, I still think they have a good side. They've got those two new exciting young fullas in Sulivan and Sloan, both of which are extremely dangerous and hard to handle. Then there's unpredictable players like Lomax, Ravalwa, Bird, Norman and a decent forward pack that we're going to have to handle.

For us, this is the last opportunity we get to tune things up for the Finals. The last opportunity to sort anything out that we need to. In saying that, we have an opportunity to rest a lot of players this week and I think we should take it, it makes a lot of difference and it's a luxury we haven't had in previous years. I'll go into who we should rest later today but for now I'll say I think we should be resting a lot. Obviously give Taaffe a crack at fullback and then bring all the young guys in, maybe even hand out a debut or two. Whoever takes the field for us, we need to be on our game there's no doubt about that because the Dragons will be no easy beats. I want to see that defence continue to stay tight and hopefully the attack flows off the back of that.

So an interesting week this one to round out the Regular Season. It's been an intense few weeks and that intensity is only going to increase in the coming weeks so let's all take the opportunity to relax a bit, enjoy a week of low pressure Footy and tune up for the Finals. looking forward to this one though!

Rabbit57

Juniors
I get that you always need to work on defence but at this stage of the competition you need to concentrate on executing a perfect game. Working hard with the ball. Fighting to get advantage in the ruck. Completing sets. Playing heads up and taking opportunities. Good kick chase. Get these together and you have a much better chance of getting the defensive work done

I wouldn’t mind if the main focus on this game was defend defend defend and not really worry about out attack, just before the finals.
It would make sense if we can fix up a few little things in our defensive li

southsport

First Grade
I get that you always need to work on defence but at this stage of the competition you need to concentrate on executing a perfect game. Working hard with the ball. Fighting to get advantage in the ruck. Completing sets. Playing heads up and taking opportunities. Good kick chase. Get these together and you have a much better chance of getting the defensive work done
Players will most likely be rested for this game so our attack could be a bit clunky.

callmack1

Staff member
The selection headache facing Wayne Bennett ahead of Finals tilt: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/latrel...k-finals/e6c56db9-fa9e-4173-91b6-1dcdb97e89b7

I feel completely different about things today now that I've processed everything with the Latrell incident and started to move on. This Season isn't over by a long way. Yes, it's been made so much harder without Trell. However, I have so much faith in Blake Taaffe. This kid is highly rated, a future star and what I've seen of him at the back so far, I've liked. He seems confident and I think he can do a job.

Of course, the pressure of Finals may get to him, we don't know. But who's to say he's not going to absolutely kill it? I feel far more confident with him there and back him 100%. If Taaffe goes well we can win without Trell. It's a big risk and it could go either way but he can do it!!

Look forward to seeing how he goes this weekend.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 25,

1. Taaffe
2. Milne
3. Burns
4. Graham
5. Paulo
6. Walker
7. Marshall
8. Tatola
9. Mamouzelos
10. Sele
11. Host
12. Su'A
13. Arrow

14. Ilias
15. Moale
16. Burgess
17. Mago

So as you can see, I think we'll rest a few.

We all know how training works by now. The guys in the Red shirt are the starting 13, guys in the Green shirt are either the bench or the reserves.

Now, based on the images I've seen from training today, and who is wearing what colour shirt, I can gather this: AJ, Reyno, Cook and Murray are looking to be rested. I think the likes of Gags and Nicho will be too (although I haven't seen them in any photos).

Based on these photos, Cammy Graham, Benji, Junior and Hosty are likely to start, the rest of this line up is just my opinion. I think we play Cody so he can get a bit of a combo with Taaffey as well as ensuring he has the best chance at the Dally M race. I'd have Arrow playing, Ilias to debut from the bench and I'd give Tommy limited minutes off the bench.

What do we think?

southsport

First Grade
Team is:

1) Blake Taaffe
2) Taane Milne
3) Braidon Burns
4) Campbell Graham
5) Jaxson Paulo
6) Benji Marshall
7) Lachlan Ilias
8) Junior Tatola
9) Peter Mamouzelos
10) Patrick Mago
11) Jaydn Su'A
12) Jacob Host
13) Mark Nicholls (c)
Interchange
14) Dean Hawkins
15) Tautau Moga
16) Jed Cartwright
17) Davvy Moale

18) Jai Arrow
19) Cameron Murray
20) Alex Johnston
21) Cody Walker

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Team List for Round 25: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/08/31/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-25/

Pretty happy with that, can't disagree too much at all. Happy to see Wayne has basically rested all our main men aside from Graham, Paulo, Tatola and Nicholls really. Smart move in my opinion. Gives some guys a chance and I'm really excited to see how they go, all of them. Congrats to Ilias on his debut and Moga on his club debut. On another note, how good is it to see the GOAT, Nicho named captain!! Bloody awesome! He's worked so hard this year and deserves it.

Interesting side, full of baby Bunnies. Should make for an interesting game and I can't wait to see how we go. Bring on Saturday night!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Did you notice that Nicholls is captain?
We’ve done the right thing resting them all as if we lose week 1 finals we need enough in the tank to play week 2 etc and so on.....

Good opportunity for our fringe players to put their foot forward too for of we get an injury or 2 in the finals series.

And well done to the GOAT Mark he’s earnt this will be a proud proud moment. Now for the love of God Souths re-sign him please on a little bit of an upgrade!

Rabbits20

Immortal
If St Merge can’t beat us this week they may as well walk home we have 8 players rested and another 5-6 out through injury and suspension.

big hit!

Bench
We’ve done the right thing resting them all as if we lose week 1 finals we need enough in the tank to play week 2 etc and so on.....

Good opportunity for our fringe players to put their foot forward too for of we get an injury or 2 in the finals series.

And well done to the GOAT Mark he’s earnt this will be a proud proud moment. Now for the love of God Souths re-sign him please on a little bit of an upgrade!

Interestingly, Cleary has named a full-strength team this week who could most likely put a cricket score on Parra. His approach is to keep them ticking over moving into finals

Jim Rockford

Bench
Interestingly, Cleary has named a full-strength team this week who could most likely put a cricket score on Parra. His approach is to keep them ticking over moving into finals
Possibly, but if key players pick up injuries or suspensions he will definitely rue the decision to do so.