What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 vs. Wests Tigers Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Wests Tigers vs. Dolphins
CommBank Stadium, Saturday 19 August 2023
Kick Off: 3:00pm

WST2022TEAM.png

1. Jahream Bula 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Starford To'a 4. Asu Kepaoa 5. Junior Tupou 6. Daine Laurie 7. Luke Brooks 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. David Klemmer 11. Isaiah Papali'i 12. John Bateman 13. Fonua Pole

14. Jake Simpkin 15. Alex Seyfarth 16. Alex Twal 17. Shawn Blore

18. Justin Matamua 19. Aitasi James 20. Triston Reilly 21. Josh Feledy 22. Kit Laulilii

DOL2022TEAM.png

1. Kodi Nikorima 2. Jamayne Isaako 3. Jack Bostock 4. Robert Jennings 5. Tesi Niu 6. Isaiya Katoa 7. Sean O'Sullivan 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Harrison Graham 10. Herman Ese'ese 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Euan Aitken 13. Mark Nicholls

14. JJ Collins 15. Josh Kerr 16. Anthony Milford 17. Jarrod Wallace

18. Trai Fuller 19. Max Plath 20. Poasa Faamausili 21. Mason Teague 22. Valynce Te Whare​

Big Pete

Referee
Stack of changes for the Dolphins - Jeremy Marshall King has succumbed to his shoulder injury and has been booked in for season-ending surgery. Connelly Lemuelu, Kenny Bromwich and Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow have been ruled out with concussion and Ray Stone has broken his toe.

The season is really beginning to bottom out now for the Dolphins and it'll be interesting to see which players stick out during these trying times. Last week it was Mark Nicholls, hopefully he'll have a few more players join him.

One of those players will be Trai Fuller who has been named on the bench in place of Milford. Fuller has played 82 games for Redcliffe and has been one of their best players in recent years scoring 28 tries from 37 appearances. He's only a slight player but he isn't afraid to put his body on the line so look out for him mid-way through the contest.

MugaB

Coach
Well the seasons done, i was hoping for the last two games to be winners, but tigers are on an upswing even tho theyve been losing, and warriors next week could be very embarrassing on their form vs the dolphins injury lists.. best to try out the rest of the 30 man squad of these next two games for next seasons roster, i saw herman essese has picked up an esl contract, so there must be a potential opportunity for another bench prop (Tpj anyone?)

Big Pete

Referee
Well the seasons done, i was hoping for the last two games to be winners, but tigers are on an upswing even tho theyve been losing, and warriors next week could be very embarrassing on their form vs the dolphins injury lists.. best to try out the rest of the 30 man squad of these next two games for next seasons roster, i saw herman essese has picked up an esl contract, so there must be a potential opportunity for another bench prop (Tpj anyone?)
As soon as I heard the Pangai news my feeling was that he received the Gus Gould tap on a shoulder and this was just a way to get him off the cap. I thought he was a decent pick-up for the Panthers when he had to step in for Fisher-Harris and then Leota, if he can get back to that form under a coach he respects like Bennett, the Dolphins could have a real bargain on their hands.

However is he worth the headache and how long can the Dolphins keep him for before he loses his way?

MugaB

Coach
As soon as I heard the Pangai news my feeling was that he received the Gus Gould tap on a shoulder and this was just a way to get him off the cap. I thought he was a decent pick-up for the Panthers when he had to step in for Fisher-Harris and then Leota, if he can get back to that form under a coach he respects like Bennett, the Dolphins could have a real bargain on their hands.

However is he worth the headache and how long can the Dolphins keep him for before he loses his way?
I was hesitant on herman essese as he is a similar style of player, but tpj has so much more upside, explosive damaging, a good short stint 15mins either side of halftime, can ruin the defence of the opposition, this was his role at the panthers, as is spencer leniu"s role, imagine two of them in your side... bajezus!! Shorten his focus no silly offloads
Ramrod!!!

ramrod.gif

TPJ at the dogs has had injuries, and then the lack of forwards for the whole season has really hurt them, meaning he had to step up, due to the pay packet, but really if he was limited and focus to doing 3 things not over complicating it, he would be back to his damaging best

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Wests Tigers 24 def. Dolphins 23 (Jamayne Isaako, Euan Aitken, Jack Bostock, Trai Fuller tries; Jamayne Isaako 2/4 goals; Jamayne Isaako field goal)

8-14

Scrappy game, the Dolphins were below their best but had enough moments to take the lead with just over five minutes remaining. Unfortunately they gave away a penalty on the sideline, Api Koroisau took the odds to it and struck it beautifully and that was all she wrote.

Fuller had a couple of errors in him but looked the most likely when he came on. Bostock scored a nice try to give the Dolphins an early lead in the second half. Jack is still raw but if he can have a big preseason and get that confidence on the field that could become a common sight.

I thought Katoa had some good touches as well. The Dolphins started slowly and were desperately searching for some spark when Katoa created some space down the right. Isaiya is developing an ability to square up defenders and the Dolphins aren't afraid to spread it to Isaako when the opportunity presents itself. For an 18 year old he shows tremendous composure and there were a few times he received the ball under pressure and still got a quality kick away.

Once again, Wallace was in the thick of it. I think he had an identity crisis at some point and thought he was Wally Lewis, that would explain why he threw a 30m cut-out to nobody when the Dolphins were deep on the attack. Jarrod is having a crack and while sometimes he over-extends you can't accuse him of being lazy or showing no heart.

It's been a rough second half to the year, but despite everything the Dolphins have yet to throw in the towel.