What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 V Newcastle

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I have to go back and watch the game highlights to get specific moments

But @Original Name mentioned an example where Edwards support play was missing and we lost a semi 16-10.

There were a few examples in the Manly game at Brookie of Crichton being out of position. So much so Staines ended up back there at the end of the game. I will see if I get time today to watch the kayo mini and highlight the moments.

To'o is big too but Parra trial was perfect example of you can keep one of it but you can't both

Tackle busts

They are 1 and 2.

Runs of more then 8 m

They are 1 and 2

So stuff like that it works well to have the double punch when coming off the line

Edwards support play did suffer towards the end of the year.

I don’t know for sure, but I feel like he backed off a bit in those areas to save his foot.

betcats

Referee
Yep they did say that about critta, well specifically i think it was just warren ryan. But most others praised his attacking skills back there. That was mid season and than edwards came back and dominated the back half of the year and was just intrumental in us getting to the gf. If you choose to think he wasnt thats fine. The opinion of betcats doesnt really mean much when basically every commentator thats played the game at the highest level has said as much about dyl.

No one has said critta couldnt fill in well at fb, or even staines.. i havent! Ive always maintained if someone better can push him out thats great for panthers. Personally i think critta could be a very good fb. He has a lot of the skills needed. But hes work ethic for mine is what lets him down and its where dylan shines through.

To be a great number 1 it all starts in the pre season..you have to be willing to go the extra mile. Fittest bloke on the field who can go to hell and back all day..

Its why latrell will never be a great fb. He does the flashy stuff so so well but man he can go mia when the going gets tough. He gets lazy at the back big time.. turbo is an absolute weapon in attack but boy can he be lazy in defence..

Not saying critta is unfit at all but theres been times over the last 18 months or so where critta has really gone mia when we need him to stand up at centre. And to an extent you can get by as a centre with the occasional mia game even if it isnt ideal. But at fb you cant. You can have mistakes and errors but you cant go mia..have to roll up the sleeves for your team. Even when fatigued or injured.

Right now, our team is a shitload better with dylan in the 1, a fact pretty much every commentator, ivan, brandy etc has acknowledged.

And betcats of course im not downplaying the rest of the team in the lead up to the gf lol. Get a grip. But overall i think youd be niave to say he wasnt the clear player of the finals series.. and probably unlucky not to get the mom for the gf. All on one leg.. ivan cleary really summed it up in the gf presser when talking about how tough dylan is and what he did for us.

Pretty done with the dylan arguments..same people been downplaying him for years. Gets a tad boring. Now hes on fire those same people just calling me out for overestimating him when my opinions never changed haha. It amazes me at times how willing some posters are on here to defend some players that clearly arent or werent having a dig, yet the players that were get hammered.

Can be a funny place these forums.

Saying he carried us is a huge stretch and imo it is definitely down playing the team. He was excellent throughout the finals there is no denying that but that is a long way from carrying us. No player carried us it was about as good as a team effort as you will see. Be done with the argument there is nothing forcing you to respond mate the comment of mine you responded was a day or two old you brought it back up yourself.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Edwards total inability to pass in 2021 (whether due to being in and out of the side or confidence) was that bad a handicap that his place in the side was under pressure. He is looking 10x better this year

WestyLife

First Grade
Haha ahh westy... nothings ever changed in my argument. You were wrong about edwards and admitted so yourself... but yet YOU still chose to call me out even tho i have said literally exactly the same thing for 3 years.. hahah. I didnt come in here calling you out even tho im well aware of your posting history in regards to edwards.. pretty embarrasing.

Nothing embarrassing about it. I'm happy to admit I got it wrong about Edwards. It's going to happen. I overrated Egan as well although he'd be alright in our current 17.

I thought I was pretty reasonable I didn't "call you out" I merely think Edwards is better than I originally thought but that you are pumping him up a bit more than is deserved. Saying things like he won us the gf or finals series, the back to back try savers no one can prove. It's not an insult or a challenge from me to you but you treat it like verbal/written combat.

Girds89

Bench
Saying he carried us is a huge stretch and imo it is definitely down playing the team. He was excellent throughout the finals there is no denying that but that is a long way from carrying us. No player carried us it was about as good as a team effort as you will see. Be done with the argument there is nothing forcing you to respond mate the comment of mine you responded was a day or two old you brought it back up yourself.
I responded when i read it because i didnt agree.

Cant say i live on here 24/7 waiting to disagree with posts haha.

Was a great team effort by all. And a great premiership.

betcats

Referee
I responded when i read it because i didnt agree.

Cant say i live on here 24/7 waiting to disagree with posts haha.

Was a great team effort by all. And a great premiership.

I didnt say anything close to that middle line. You are responding to what you disagree with and so am I. The difference is you are taking it personally if someone disagrees, I have said the whole thing is getting ridiculous and it is. We are all just saying our same opinions over and over but no one is forcing anyone to be here or participate. I am happy to let it go I stand by my opinions and i feel like I have given good reasons for them as I am sure you and luke do as well, seems obvious no one is going to change their minds on this at this stage.

The_Frog

First Grade
I think the fact that Chris Smith managed not to be injured by the hit, was more good fortune than anything else.

Even though the JC aren't supposed to take injury into consideration. I'm sure sub consiously they do. It's human nature.

Also very hard to prove that a hit was intentional.
They are required to take injury into consideration. Annesley the other day showed a list of aggravating or mitigating circumstances that can affect grading. Injury to the player hit was among the aggravating circumstances. What they don't appear to consider is the status of the player offended against, for example if that was not Chris Smith but Tom Trebojevic, Nathan Cleary or Ryan Papenhuyzen, the suspension would presumably have been the same.

Girds89

Bench
I didnt say anything close to that middle line. You are responding to what you disagree with and so am I. The difference is you are taking it personally if someone disagrees, I have said the whole thing is getting ridiculous and it is. We are all just saying our same opinions over and over but no one is forcing anyone to be here or participate. I am happy to let it go I stand by my opinions and i feel like I have given good reasons for them as I am sure you and luke do as well, seems obvious no one is going to change their minds on this at this stage.
I thought i put it bed with my post?

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Im just happy to be talking about this and not discussing why Bryce Cartwright keeps getting picked at 6 or weather or not Tyrone May should be in jail……

This discussion is a win in my book!! Hahaha

betcats

Referee
Im just happy to be talking about this and not discussing why Bryce Cartwright keeps getting picked at 6 or weather or not Tyrone May should be in jail……

Take it right back to who is going to replace Walshy at half back or why is Elliot picking poor old Purts in the back row lol

Iamback

Coach

Agreed. Much better to be talking making a great team even better

Girds89

Bench
Take it right back to who is going to replace Walshy at half back or why is Elliot picking poor old Purts in the back row lol
[/QUOTE]

I think all posters and fans are unanimous in agreement thats purts in the 2nd row, especially in a finals series...starting, is one of the worst coaching decisions of all time haha..

Luke Bowden

First Grade
How about Luke Lewis at 7….. admittedly he was talented enough to make it work, but it was not the best time to be a Panthers supporter

Iamback

Coach

I think all posters and fans are unanimous in agreement thats purts in the 2nd row, especially in a finals series...starting, is one of the worst coaching decisions of all time haha..
[/QUOTE]

I might of been ok if you are in a random comp game. But to throw him in on untried in a finals game

Latest posts