What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 V Newcastle

Pomoz

Bench
I remember this day so well.

I'd just bought a new fridge, and it was far too big for the kitchen in our tiny rental. Was listening to the game on the radio while trying to move it into place. Got real hot and bothered (combination of the game and fridge). Ended up taking a big chunk off the corner of the kitchen bench, and also hitting the oven/stove too hard and snapping the gas connection.

Oh yeah, and we conceded 13 tries. Lol.

The fridge has gone the distance though, I've still got it today!
Lol. We all have those moments. My Dad put a nail straight though a water pipe and flooded the house. We called out a plumber and it was one of my Dad’s mates. He laughed as soon as he saw the mess and said “Dave what have you done, you should know better”. Thing is, my Dad’s a builder.

I thought I would save money by replacing my own exhaust. I needed a ramp to get underneath so I used the one at my army base. As I got to the top of the ramp in my car, I heard the screeching sound of metal. I got out under the car to look and almost cried. The floor pan was punctured and the brake lines were severed. I forgot to take into account the guide rails that stop you driving off the ramp accidentally. They were designed for armored vehicles with tracks, not Volkswagen Jettas! As I went over the apex, the rails speared my car like a Japanese whaler. I have never touched an exhaust ever again.

Girds89

Bench
Critter isnt lazy, you cant be a great defender like he is and be lazy cause he'd be getting caught out of position or on the back foot and would be exposed defensively. Yes there are times he could be more involved but to say that is laziness or lack of effort is very harsh, its not uncommon at all for young centres to need to learn how to impact games more when the attack isnt coming to them, laziness would be shown up on the defensive side of the ball if it was there and you cannot say Critter is lazy defensively, his effort and application there has been very good.

I definitley think its the opposite. Most guys who get into the nrl at centre have to be able to defend. Take james roberts, has always been a decent enough defensive centre and makes his tackles.. kotoni staggs same. In attack they have brilliant moments but can get very lazy..

Its not just critta that has this issue i think its an nrl thing. Ive just used kotoni and roberts as an example but there are countless that fall inti the boat..

You cant get by being lazy in d in the nrl in any position. It has always been attack where the dedicated players shine. Especially in tough games..

In a tough game you can beat your bottom dollar that players like yeo, fish, edwards, too are there to put there hand up for a hit up after a tough set defensivley...

Centres tend to be the most underutilised on the field and its why i think critta could be involved way way more.

The fact is most centres make there tackles than a team will kick and the wings and fb will return the ball first 3 plays than a forward the last two and a kick.

Not really a dig on critta soley as i also think it comes back on ivan..

He just has to get involved more. Theres no doubting his talents but he needs to use them.

betcats

Referee
I definitley think its the opposite. Most guys who get into the nrl at centre have to be able to defend. Take james roberts, has always been a decent enough defensive centre and makes his tackles.. kotoni staggs same. In attack they have brilliant moments but can get very lazy..

Its not just critta that has this issue i think its an nrl thing. Ive just used kotoni and roberts as an example but there are countless that fall inti the boat..

You cant get by being lazy in d in the nrl in any position. It has always been attack where the dedicated players shine. Especially in tough games..

In a tough game you can beat your bottom dollar that players like yeo, fish, edwards, too are there to put there hand up for a hit up after a tough set defensivley...

Centres tend to be the most underutilised on the field and its why i think critta could be involved way way more.

The fact is most centres make there tackles than a team will kick and the wings and fb will return the ball first 3 plays than a forward the last two and a kick.

Not really a dig on critta soley as i also think it comes back on ivan..

He just has to get involved more. Theres no doubting his talents but he needs to use them.

Of course you can be lazy in defence you see lazy defence all the time usually when the defender is being caught out, I doubt there is a game that goes by where you cant spot a lazy defensive error from a player. Every player has to make their tackles not all of them do though and critter is a cut above most centres defensively, I mean I agree there are games he has to get more involved but he has been very involved to start this year so he is definitely getting better in that area based on the first few games.

Kilkenny

Coach
Personally I don’t think Stephen Chrichton is lazy. I think like many of the polynesian players they can switch off a bit comes from there easy going nature. A focus, concentration issue as opposed to be lazy. Defending in the centres is challenging particularly if your opposite gets a bit of space one on one as happened on the weekend.

Iamback

Coach
Personally I don’t think Stephen Chrichton is lazy. I think like many of the polynesian players they can switch off a bit comes from there easy going nature. A focus, concentration issue as opposed to be lazy. Defending in the centres is challenging particularly if your opposite gets a bit of space one on one as happened on the weekend.

Whatever it is. He drifts in and out of games

Can be the best centre in the game at times. Next minute look ordinary

Kilkenny

Coach
Whatever it is. He drifts in and out of games

Can be the best centre in the game at times. Next minute look ordinary
There are lots of quality centres in the NRL. Stephen Chrichton is very good, I don’t think he is anywhere near being the best.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think he’s definitely in the conversation.
Olam and Manu are probably the best, but he’s certainly in the mix to take 3rd place.
Probably half a dozen or so who could be in the mix Staggs, Lomax, Best, Holmes, Gagai, Graham and then you have the fullbacks who get selected in the centres for rep games. He is very good no doubt, his missed tackle on the weekend was a rare blemish he doesn’t have too many.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Probably half a dozen or so who could be in the mix Staggs, Lomax, Best, Holmes, Gagai, Graham and then you have the fullbacks who get selected in the centres for rep games. He is very good no doubt, his missed tackle on the weekend was a rare blemish he doesn’t have too many.
Tago is far from that list either.

he’ll firmly be amongst those guys by the end of the season.

BxTom

Bench
The funniest thing I've taken from the discussion was someone using "Joey Johns said" as backup to their point. Good footy player, but borderline special needs in the brains department.
I'm sure that with lots of therapy, Joey might yet get up to the special needs level. Amazing what science can do today...

Vicpanther

Juniors
Just watched a video of a new castle fan betting critta he would miss. They cut critta's reply anyone know what was said? Bloody hilarious video.