What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 vs Sharks

Dragons4me

Juniors
Will be a tough game. Sharks we’re good today. Moylan and Hines were crafty and the their big poppas a real handful. We will be up for it I’m sure.
worst part of their game today was constant cuts to Sco Mo in the crowd with his just out of shrink wrap Sharks supporters cap, jacket and…Pom poms..as he mixes with his people…what a contrived fellow he is.

You mean Captain Kodak? Not capable of doing anything unless there's a camera around? But we love him! 😳😳😳

BLM01

First Grade
Spot on mate...We were very flat in attack on Friday and way too side to side at times. It reminded me a lot of the McGregor years...no depth, no structure and looking like a lack of ideas. Which is strange because you go back to the Charity Shield and we scored some really good tries that night. The first try we scored we were deeper in attack and used speed and width of pass to score in the corner but our last try in the 2nd half was great to see. They were marking up on us but we stripped them for numbers with players in motion which created doubt in the defenders minds. We set up at the right hand goal post and swung back to left. Hunt got the ball and Bird was the lead runner and decoy, with Sloan trialling out the back. They were never going to get the ball but their jobs were to hold up the inside defenders long enough to create the space for Suli. They did this and Hunt delivered a beautiful out ball to Suli who was already moving to the outside of his opposite number and he hit Feagai on the chest to score in the corner. It was obviously a set play executed to perfection...Have a look at them

It shows we are capable but we just let old habits creep back in at times

We might need Hunt to be more vocal and call these set up plays if we are getting too side to side...

Maybe unlearning the bad habits of the McGregor years might take longer than we all hoped.

In saying that, i still think we are headed in the right direction.
Hunt did take ownership of that in the press conference and said he was not vocal enough calling plays and bagged himself for other things he got wrong which is honourable from the captain
I know it is in us now, just got to produce but build up combos etc in time as I have said on here I am patient with attack gelling etc
We have been where Newcastle are right now in March, on top of their game and the only way is
⬇️

Draginzaaar

Bench
The defensive linespeed these days is so fast that teams play really shallow when trying to get out of their half or red zone to try to make metres. I love watching attacking plays with depth but to get to that point you need momentum, forwards bending the line and getting quick play the balls and gettng the opposition on the back foot. I'm liking big George and Kerr coming on after 25 minutes, making good metres and getting fast play the balls ( they were among the quickest on the park last Friday ), Sims was fairly quick as well. We have to make the most of that, Kerr made a nice break and no-one was trailing through with him. Hunt and especially Amone need more room to do their stuff. Rav and others bringing it back with gusto helps get us off to good start. And yes, off-loads are essential but be smart about it.
Lomax should have got a clean ball to Rav for a try in the dying minutes against Penrith, he should have looked to see where Rav was and passed properly instead of trying an unnecessary tricky no-look pass. 20 all with a kick to come.
Went to the Knights game yesterday. They were deep when attacking the Tiger's line. Haven't seen that for years.

Old Timer

Coach
Lomax he has great strength, energy, willingness to do the hard stuff, and a brain fade or two in him.

Observing him over the last couple of years and in particular this last game I honestly believe Lomax is an out and out lock.

He would be fantastic fit to follow after JDB as I believe he will start his transition to the front row next year.

That also makes a pathway for Feagai at the same time.

stgeorge1

Juniors
Lomax he has great strength, energy, willingness to do the hard stuff, and a brain fade or two in him.

Observing him over the last couple of years and in particular this last game I honestly believe Lomax is an out and out lock.

He would be fantastic fit to follow after JDB as I believe he will start his transition to the front row next year.

He will stay in the centres class centre

Dracarys

Juniors
Poor Zac..the sh!t just kept piling up. Came within a whisker of setting up the winning try at the death though.

kit66

Bench

I see you found possm's book "How to Make Bizarre Calls Out Of Left Field Seem Perfectly Rational".
I told him not to leave that laying around.

Zac to lock ? A conversation to have 4 or 5 years down the track maybe. At the moment he lacks patience, smarts and respect for the ball and that's just playing centre. He's 22 and still has a lot to learn playing in the backs.
I want smart, experienced tough guys playing lock and guys with some ball skills to boot, JDB, McGuire, big George, not some lightweight error prone knucklehead.

BLM01

First Grade
Like others have said elsewhere. I am worried for Mybe being hooker for most of the game because of his passing from dummy half. He is slow and pauses a bit. He would be better playing a bit there late in each half but has a good running / passing game at 7.
So my solution which I expect no one to like is I would start Hunt there for this week, Mybe to 7 with Amone. Sullivan on the bench. Switch Hunt & Mybe back or if one needs a rest Sulllivan to 7 or 9.

Illusion

Bench
Like others have said elsewhere. I am worried for Mybe being hooker for most of the game because of his passing from dummy half. He is slow and pauses a bit. He would be better playing a bit there late in each half but has a good running / passing game at 7.
So my solution which I expect no one to like is I would start Hunt there for this week, Mybe to 7 with Amone. Sullivan on the bench. Switch Hunt & Mybe back or if one needs a rest Sulllivan to 7 or 9.
Agree I have already suggested this in one of my posts ......