What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 Friday 30th March @ ANZ Stadium V Bulldogs

callmack1

Staff member
What does everyone think of Brett Morris’ attempt to kick the ball out from under Hymel Hunt’s head? Is that a penalty try? Thought it was unneccesarily dangerous. Morris was never gonna get to it.
I don't think there was much in it but I remember a similar thing happened in the 2015 'Bad Friday' clash and we got a penalty try.

Based on that link I posted from Fox Sports, I think Sam should 100% fight this. Taumalolo's was far worse and there was no charge and based on that alone, I think he can escape suspension. What's more, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find plenty of similar scenarios in the first few Rounds.

I'm so friggin pissed he's been charged in the first place!! Absolutely fuming!!

callmack1

Staff member
I've watched the replay and here's a few things I've picked up.

Our attack stifled at times due to our passing. It wasn't flat and fast like previous weeks, it was slow and loopy. Additionally, a lot of passes were behind the receiving player or at their shoulder. This means that player just has to check themselves and this pause stifles the momentum of the play. This, imo, is why our attack didn't flow as per usual.

Gagai and Crichton were way better than what I gave them credit for. Gagai especially in the second half he was outstanding and Crichton was like the Gus of old.

f**k Sutto's last stint was honestly insane!! He was a machine with some big, big runs and that last play for Murray was just wow!

Line speed certainly is an issue.

ThingFish

Juniors
I don't think there was much in it but I remember a similar thing happened in the 2015 'Bad Friday' clash and we got a penalty try.

Based on that link I posted from Fox Sports, I think Sam should 100% fight this. Taumalolo's was far worse and there was no charge and based on that alone, I think he can escape suspension. What's more, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find plenty of similar scenarios in the first few Rounds.

I'm so friggin pissed he's been charged in the first place!! Absolutely fuming!!
I agree 100%, we should fight the charge. However you can’t use other players as evidence in your defence.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I would normally be very keen to fight the charge but the fact that Sam could potentially be out for both the Dragons and Roosters games if we fail concerns me considerably. Sam is just one of those players that lifts the team with his performances. Maybe we should be playing it safe?

callmack1

Staff member
I would normally be very keen to fight the charge but the fact that Sam could potentially be out for both the Dragons and Roosters games if we fail concerns me considerably. Sam is just one of those players that lifts the team with his performances. Maybe we should be playing it safe?
Very valid point but I think he's a chance of beating it tbh.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sutton wants "week in week out" improvement: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/03/31/sutton-wants-week-in-week-out-improvement/

Based on this, Sam will 100% fight the charge: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/6dff4e45bb1c2af0864b3bde9b5e10a8

I'm pissed he's even been charged.
Thanks for posting bro....

I'm really f**king fired up! What absolute garbage. It's exactly the same thing. Where is the consistency?? If they wanna carry on like this and police it they'd have 25 players at least suspended each week from this, FACT!!

I feel it was just a way to give the Dogs a penalty!

They'd better let him off!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I agree 100%, we should fight the charge. However you can’t use other players as evidence in your defence.
Why not mate... why pick on Sam and not the other 20 odd bastards??

Answer me that please??

Absolutely I'd bring that up in his defence.

They can't hold a charge on him when the other 90perent of incidents of the same thing aren't being policed!

It is ludicrous and I'm firing up big time!!!!!!!!

ThingFish

Juniors
Why not mate... why pick on Sam and not the other 20 odd bastards??

Answer me that please??

Absolutely I'd bring that up in his defence.

They can't hold a charge on him when the other 90perent of incidents of the same thing aren't being policed!

It is ludicrous and I'm firing up big time!!!!!!!!
It is the rules of the judiciary. You can’t use other past cases or other examples in defending your case.

ThingFish

Juniors
Well I think that's BS...

Oh we will let the others off but let's pick on Sam

I looked into it. Rule 76(3)b says that in determining guilt other past cases or incidents can’t be used as evidence.

59BD3468-9444-40C9-B1AD-864B289AF2D1.png

But rules 89(2)(c) and 90(2)(d) say when determining the grading and sentence the player may use upto 3 videos of charged offences in the last two years.

EC0EFE4C-95AC-4F1D-B68D-84315FC9271A.png

So basically you can’t use any video of comparable incidents in the case. But you can use 3 videos if found guilty to determine the grading and sentence. But those videos have to be of guilty charges in the past 2 years only.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I looked into it. Rule 76(3)b says that in determining guilt other past cases or incidents can’t be used as evidence.

View attachment 18758

But rules 89(2)(c) and 90(2)(d) say when determining the grading and sentence the player may use upto 3 videos of charged offences in the last two years.

View attachment 18759

So basically you can’t use any video of comparable incidents in the case. But you can use 3 videos if found guilty to determine the grading and sentence. But those videos have to be of guilty charges in the past 2 years only.

That’s so funny because they know how inconsistent they are :joy:

ThingFish

Juniors
That’s so funny because they know how inconsistent they are :joy:
I know right. Talmalolo actually knocked the guy out cold, forearm to the head. You should be able to show that and go “WTF”. They know if they let players do that they will never be able to charge anyone. So they say, nup can’t use any other incidents in your evidence, but when we find you guilty you can find video of similar guys we found guilty to help us with your sentence. Redunculous.

Rabbits20

Immortal
This whole thing just really pisses me off as it's so clear it was just one of those Rugby League incidents.

Why do I feel like the NRL and the refs are really going after us this year?

Burgess wants to build on consistency: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/04/01/burgess/
That's how I feel to!

But we will fight hard against this adversity!!!

I think he should just take it and then come back and have a kamikaze game against Rorters where all the boys really fire up and use it as positive energy!

Funny how DKOR has disappeared too after he thought we barely would win a game!! No doubt if Sam is out and we get done he will then re appear. But I wouldn't expect to get close to St Merge without Sam.

Also where is Rsag?? The minute Kennar killed it he disappeared?? I'm worried for his welfare......

Rabbits20

Immortal
I know right. Talmalolo actually knocked the guy out cold, forearm to the head. You should be able to show that and go “WTF”. They know if they let players do that they will never be able to charge anyone. So they say, nup can’t use any other incidents in your evidence, but when we find you guilty you can find video of similar guys we found guilty to help us with your sentence. Redunculous.
Sam is the scapegoat it feels like.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Just actually go on Sam's twitter and look at other incidents like in the Manly game and where Faitala Mariner did it to Cook!!!

Go figure!!!!

doyen

Bench
Sam is the scapegoat it feels like.
I don't think Sam would be too popular with the judiciary.
Since joining Sths he's been charged on many occasions;some quite serious.In his first 3 yrs with Sths he was charged on 6 occasions.
He'd have points built up,at present too, which won't help his cause!

Not sure about Taumo but I'd reckon his record would be very good by comparison.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I don't think Sam would be too popular with the judiciary.
Since joining Sths he's been charged on many occasions;some quite serious.In his first 3 yrs with Sths he was charged on 6 occasions.
He'd have points built up,at present too, which won't help his cause!

Not sure about Taumo but I'd reckon his record would be very good by comparison.

There are some players that get away with blue murder on the field but Sam is not one of them. There was a nasty shoulder charge on Sims off the ball in the Broncos vs Dragons game but it wasn’t even talked about post game.