What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Knights

blacksafake

First Grade
I want Lomax in the team as much others but I really can’t wrap my head around him being on the bench. Seriously,barring injury how much time is he going to get & where does he fit in.
Heaven forbid if the 6,7 or 9 goes down & McInnes is always one tackle away from an HIA. Looks like we’re going with the usual 3 man bench.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I want Lomax in the team as much others but I really can’t wrap my head around him being on the bench. Seriously,barring injury how much time is he going to get & where does he fit in.
Heaven forbid if the 6,7 or 9 goes down & McInnes is always one tackle away from an HIA. Looks like we’re going with the usual 3 man bench.

Easily solved with Mary logic. If McInnes goes down......Hunt to 9, James Graham to 7, K Sims to 8 and Zac becomes Lawrie's sub at lock:rolleyes:
Shouldn't joke about it, but something like this is not beyond him.

Crush

Coach
So we aren't the only team to carry a centre on the bench.
Storm, Broncos, Tigers, Dragons all carrying a centre on the bench.
Can someone who knows more about football than me explain why a team would sit a centre on the bench?
12 of the 16 teams play 4 forwards on the bench, why do the other 4 teams select a backup centre?
I see zero meaning in having Lomax come on for the last 6 minutes of the game.

Highland Saint

Juniors
Can someone who knows more about football than me explain why a team would sit a centre on the bench?
12 of the 16 teams play 4 forwards on the bench, why do the other 4 teams select a backup centre?
Lomax is there for goal kicking. We aren't planning on scoring in the first 74 minutes anyway

Old Timer

Coach
Crush
It doesn't matter what other teams do we should only concentrate on what we do and what is best for us overall.
The issue with Lomax on the bench is that he is getting SFA game time in NRL and will be backing up playing CC on the occasions he can do that, but obviously not this weekend.
So Lomax will ultimately get the call up and be severely deficient in match fitness and if he has a fail then coach gets the outcome he is looking for.
Same goes for Luc although I would have put the pencil through him by now and said get the job done in CC and put pressure on the 1st grade squad or best you find a new club.

Crush

Coach
Crush
It doesn't matter what other teams do we should only concentrate on what we do and what is best for us overall.
The issue with Lomax on the bench is that he is getting SFA game time in NRL and will be backing up playing CC on the occasions he can do that, but obviously not this weekend.
So Lomax will ultimately get the call up and be severely deficient in match fitness and if he has a fail then coach gets the outcome he is looking for.
Same goes for Luc although I would have put the pencil through him by now and said get the job done in CC and put pressure on the 1st grade squad or best you find a new club.
I do not understand the comment "if Lomax fails then coach gets the outcome he is looking for".
Mary may be a below average coach but to insinuate that he wants young players to fail is ridiculous.

LINESPEED

Juniors

Lomax is being systematically deskilled - as was Mann & potentially Field (who is ‘waiting’).

And we know why

Dufty only escaped Waterboy’s bench waterboarding because of Widdop’s injury - as have Host, Lawrie & Leilua because of Jack’s, Tariq’s & Tyson’s misadventures FFS

Forced rotations

Not meant to happen

None of the above were seriously meant to feature in the 13

Darwin’s Natural Selection is in operation & has given Waterboy the slip & us a half decent team

Survival of the fittest

So who pulls a hammy Sundy night eh?

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Lomax is being systematically deskilled - as was Mann & potentially Field (who is ‘waiting’).

And we know why

Dufty only escaped Waterboy’s bench waterboarding because of Widdop’s injury - as have Host, Lawrie & Leilua because of Jack’s, Tariq’s & Tyson’s misadventures FFS

Not meant to happen

None of the above were seriously meant to feature in the 13

Darwin’s Natural Selection is in operation & has given Waterboy the slip & us a half decent team

Survival of the fittest

So who pulls a hammy Sundy night eh?
Confusing post.
Are saying that Host, Lawrie and Leilua is stronger lineup than JDB, Frizz and Tariq?

Old Timer

Coach
I do not understand the comment "if Lomax fails then coach gets the outcome he is looking for".
Mary may be a below average coach but to insinuate that he wants young players to fail is ridiculous.
Coach loves the status quo and doesn't like having to make tough decisions.
When he is confronted by having too many players for a position he more often than not errs on there side of seniority.
If young players have a poor game (emphasis on 'a') it is then very easy for coach and if you understand anything about this forum it is the most basic and constant of criticisms about coach and the club i.e. the non promotion or retention of juniors in 1st grade.
Coach doesn't like doing it and avoids it whenever he can and only injury or retirements forces the change.
Even some people in this forum are like it and are hanging onto Lomax's indifferent trial form as to the reason he didn't get a start in 1st grade rather than looking at his end of season form. Tell me if Aitken's from was any better or more compelling to be reinstated into 1st grade?
Coach wanted Aitken and he wasn't going to have it any other way and his job was made very easy by Lomax having a bit of a Barry Crocker whilst playing out of position outside a poor player.
Objective achieved.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Coach loves the status quo and doesn't like having to make tough decisions.
When he is confronted by having too many players for a position he more often than not errs on there side of seniority.
If young players have a poor game (emphasis on 'a') it is then very easy for coach and if you understand anything about this forum it is the most basic and constant of criticisms about coach and the club i.e. the non promotion or retention of juniors in 1st grade.
Coach doesn't like doing it and avoids it whenever he can and only injury or retirements forces the change.
Even some people in this forum are like it and are hanging onto Lomax's indifferent trial form as to the reason he didn't get a start in 1st grade rather than looking at his end of season form. Tell me if Aitken's from was any better or more compelling to be reinstated into 1st grade?
Coach wanted Aitken and he wasn't going to have it any other way and his job was made very easy by Lomax having a bit of a Barry Crocker whilst playing out of position outside a poor player.
Objective achieved.
OT your up pretty late mate . The only part of your post I disagree with is " He more than often errs on the side of seniority " ... He always errs on the side of seniority .
Aitken himself only got a start because Dane Nielson stuffed up in a club and got sacked . Otherwise he would have been in first grade for the entire season regardless of form . Six years on and our wonder coach hasn't learnt a single thing ..Much like Aitken as a centre .

Old Timer

Coach
OT your up pretty late mate . The only part of your post I disagree with is " He more than often errs on the side of seniority " ... He always errs on the side of seniority .
Aitken himself only got a start because Dane Nielson stuffed up in a club and got sacked . Otherwise he would have been in first grade for the entire season regardless of form . Six years on and our wonder coach hasn't learnt a single thing ..Much like Aitken as a centre .
Hi GC
Restless night with old hips and knees, so a few panadol and 40 minutes on here and then hopefully some decent sleep.
I agree with your analysis but as I have a few arguments with Crush, in an effort to be conciliatory, I erred on the safe side by using "often".
I must admit that Rava over Pearson or Maranta does shock me a bit but as it is filling a vacancy and all were new to the club maybe coach decided for once to give youth a chance.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

When you think about it, it’s really a two man bench because McIdiot’s refusal to use his reserves adroitly in any given match.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Lomax is there for goal kicking. We aren't planning on scoring in the first 74 minutes anyway

No, McIdiot’s game plan involves the intricate skill of beating the opposition with tries only. Who cares if there’s a close struggle, SGI will knock ‘em dead with the ol’ dazzle dazzle.

Goal kickers are superfluous anyway.

possm

Coach
After the right edge lets in 2-3 tries, after Lafai fails to kick two goals from the sideline and after Aitken fails to pass the ball to his winger, Mary will panic and bring Lomax onto the field. By then the game is lost and it is too late.

If Dufty repeats the form from late last year, Mary will then have to consult with the senior players to get approval in who to hook, Aitken or Dufty.

No matter what the circumstance, Hunt is not a hooker however, he could be our dummy half if McInnes is injured. With no hooker rotation it will be up to a middle forward to defend in the hooker position.

possm

Coach
No, McIdiot’s game plan involves the intricate skill of beating the opposition with tries only. Who cares if there’s a close struggle, SGI will knock ‘em dead with the ol’ dazzle dazzle.

Goal kickers are superfluous anyway.

With our for and against this season, we can't afford to miss goal kicks.