What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 Vs Manly

WestyLife

First Grade
Ivan will definitely name May at #1 to protect the rookie fullback. He doesn't care about Fantasy Leagues, and sure doesn't care about your multi.

Not sure what multi's have to do with anything :joy: at least we know Brett Morris posts here now.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
May being named & playing fullback seems the most Ivan thing to do tbh.

He did somethings ok but there but also had a few dodgy moments. I think he gets named but doubt he runs out.

Also wonder if Leinu is named or just straight misses this week

WestyLife

First Grade
He did somethings ok but there but also had a few dodgy moments. I think he gets named but doubt he runs out.

Also wonder if Leinu is named or just straight misses this week

He also probably doesn't have the fitness for 80 minutes at fullback.

franklin2323

Immortal

WestyLife

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...as-manly-axe-new-recruit-20210330-p57f6s.html

Chammas saying it will be Critta with Burton there.

Re May, I dont get the bagging Cleary is getting for putting him there. It was a risk that payed off, it kept our defensive line in tact and May stopped one try and was a big part of the final try save.

I don't have an issue with it mid game. I thought it was his purpose as utility to go where needed and was smart defensively as you said. I wouldn't want him picked there as a starter though.

Alintheeast

Juniors
May’s current court problems could affect his performance especially in a position that he may not be up to speed in. For mine the look on his face and the demeanour last Thursday were not unlike the first 45 minutes of the 20 Grand Final.

Burton set to take centre stage as Crichton eyes No.1 jersey
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 30 Mar 2021, 02:21 PM

Matt Burton's whirlwind final season in Panthers colours looks set to continue with the playmaker to be named in the centres for Thursday night's clash against the Sea Eagles.

Penrith players confirmed Burton's move to the backline on Tuesday with Stephen Crichton shifting to fullback following the loss of Dylan Edwards (hand fracture) for at least a month.

Nathan Cleary's return from a head knock will see Jarome Luai switch back to the left edge alongside Burton, Viliame Kikau and Brian To'o.

Fellow outside backs Brent Naden and Robert Jennings are both unavailable for coach Ivan Cleary with the pair to serve another week's suspension from separate NSW Cup incidents a fortnight ago.

The Panthers experimented with Burton in the centres during a NSW Cup trial game in February, while Crichton will start at fullback for the first time since making his NRL debut in 2019.
"It's a great opportunity for Stephen, he'll obviously get his hands on the ball a lot more," Panthers co-captain Isaah Yeo said on Tuesday.

"He played a little bit of fullback [coming off the bench] last year. He's just a footballer who pops up at the right times and is a tackle breaker.

"It's a little bit of a different role for 'Burto' but he's done it before for us and will do a wonderful job.

"I'm glad we've kept him. He was outstanding on the weekend filling in for Nathan and it shows what sort of footballer he is."

Panthers forward Spencer Leniu is also expected to be named despite picking up shoulder and knee concerns last week.

Leniu was among the Panthers' best in their win over the Storm with 14 carries in a 27-minute stint off the bench.

"I think he's all systems go for us and he's been awesome to start the year," Yeo said.

"It's really been needed especially after losing James Tamou and Zane Tetevano, you need your middles to step up.

"Spence and Matty Eisenhuth have been really good for us coming off the bench."
https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/30/burton-set-to-take-centre-stage-as-crichton-eyes-no1-jersey/

Crichton to FB & Burton to centre is the right move. I don’t buy into the idea of maintaining positions as much as possible all the time. Crichton is on big bucks, he needs to show he’s worth it. If it really went pear shaped with Burton in the centres we could easily make a mid game shift anyway. Burton to wing, Crichton back to centre and Staines to FB.

WestyLife

First Grade
Burton set to take centre stage as Crichton eyes No.1 jersey
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 30 Mar 2021, 02:21 PM

Matt Burton's whirlwind final season in Panthers colours looks set to continue with the playmaker to be named in the centres for Thursday night's clash against the Sea Eagles.

Penrith players confirmed Burton's move to the backline on Tuesday with Stephen Crichton shifting to fullback following the loss of Dylan Edwards (hand fracture) for at least a month.

Nathan Cleary's return from a head knock will see Jarome Luai switch back to the left edge alongside Burton, Viliame Kikau and Brian To'o.

Fellow outside backs Brent Naden and Robert Jennings are both unavailable for coach Ivan Cleary with the pair to serve another week's suspension from separate NSW Cup incidents a fortnight ago.

The Panthers experimented with Burton in the centres during a NSW Cup trial game in February, while Crichton will start at fullback for the first time since making his NRL debut in 2019.
"It's a great opportunity for Stephen, he'll obviously get his hands on the ball a lot more," Panthers co-captain Isaah Yeo said on Tuesday.

"He played a little bit of fullback [coming off the bench] last year. He's just a footballer who pops up at the right times and is a tackle breaker.

"It's a little bit of a different role for 'Burto' but he's done it before for us and will do a wonderful job.

"I'm glad we've kept him. He was outstanding on the weekend filling in for Nathan and it shows what sort of footballer he is."

Panthers forward Spencer Leniu is also expected to be named despite picking up shoulder and knee concerns last week.

Leniu was among the Panthers' best in their win over the Storm with 14 carries in a 27-minute stint off the bench.

"I think he's all systems go for us and he's been awesome to start the year," Yeo said.

"It's really been needed especially after losing James Tamou and Zane Tetevano, you need your middles to step up.

"Spence and Matty Eisenhuth have been really good for us coming off the bench."
https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/30/burton-set-to-take-centre-stage-as-crichton-eyes-no1-jersey/
Imagine if Crichton absolutely kills it on the Turbo type level. It would actually suck to be a coach some times.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
May’s current court problems could affect his performance especially in a position that he may not be up to speed in. For mine the look on his face and the demeanour last Thursday were not unlike the first 45 minutes of the 20 Grand Final.

Yet he was so distracted that he took part in knocking the opposition players slightly off his feet (in defence) during the last seconds of the game. Therefore helping Penrith win the game.

The thing is, Burton has never played FB at a senior level. You can’t just throw him in to FB at first grade level without a few games in NSW cup.