What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 Bluebags v Eels 2010

The Piper

Juniors
Forum 7s - Round 5 2010
NEWTOWN BLUEBAGS v PARRAMATTA EELS
bluebagsf7s.jpg
-v-
2010par-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Thursday 27th May 2010 at 9pm (Sydney time)
REFEREE: Pistol
Venue: Henson Park
ground_henson_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
CLICK HERE FOR THE OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited by a moderator:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The baggers bus arrives on the hallowed Henson Park turf for the final time in 2010. Our last home game of the year, and a ripper crowd in attendance.

Gorilla is first off the bus and does a quick lap, high-fiving his fans that are leaning over the advertising hoardings. Not a cloud in the sky, the weather is tremendous and the flags are flying. A surperb day for a great F7s contest between two of founding teams of the competition.

Round 5 team
Willow (c)
gorilla (vc)
muzby
Drew-Sta
Red Bear

Interchange Bench
Ridders
Gidget
Timmah
Good luck one and all. :thumn

bartman

Immortal
The Eels F7s just out of rego Tarago drives through the streets of Marrickville, eventually arriving at the hallowed gates of Henson Park.

Out of the doors clamber the Eels line-up for this F7s match.

picture.php

Goleel (c)
Someone
bartman (c)
MarkInTheStands (c)
Matt23
- - - -
phantom eel
Parramatta_Power

gorilla

First Grade
After 200 metres of staggering around the inside of the fence,

*spews lasange, Gatorade and bits of multi-coloured, chilli-flavoured gummy-sour jelly eels*

*snorts nose twice 'en passant' grass, rubs hands on ball-boys head*

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

Jobs for the Boys

I was running down the street, half awake having broken into a cold sweat. The garbage truck had passed and we’d missed the bin !

The wheelie bin lurched behind me like a run-away caravan on a mountain switchback. I puffed to the truck, amusing the garbos with my boxer shorts and although they said nothing about the gaping fly, they did mention that it’s lucky I wasn’t playing Manly last night.

Walking back I flashed back to the memory of the garbo or milko in team guernsey working to keep fit and free up their time for afternoon training. Forwards got the garbos jobs and backs the milkos; nothing to do with the milkman’s reputation for loving housewives – the skinny buggers couldn’t lift a full metal bin.

Until recently league players were not fully professional and were obliged to work at a variety of occupations that changed over the decades, along with global and economic circumstances. It wasn’t until the 1970s and 1980s, exacerbated by the Super League ‘war’, that players had the opportunity, and that clubs and the League saw the value, in creating a player that worked less at earning a livelihood and replaced the income with professionalism in playing, training and payments.

Rugby league started as a professional code in the early 1900s, breaking away from amateur Union, and whilst those early players did receive payment, it wasn’t much except for the stars of the day, and was largely to provide income to injured players. Up until the Great Depression, the players had a stable payments system of sign-on fees and match payments with largely manual work for the majority of players, including work on the wharves, construction and labouring generally.

The Depression hit hard, players travelled for work and the countryside and town outskirts saw increased numbers of men looking for work. The South Sydney club inherited its famous symbol and rallying cry of ‘Rabbitohs’ due to the incomes that players earned hawking fresh-caught dressed rabbits around the inner city.

Players also found employment, even life-long occupations in the country as farmers, shearers and mining workers to the extent that players could live and work and stay in their home towns or areas and play league right through to Australian representation – a far cry from the City-Country match-ups of today as an origin match.

Two World Wars broke the back of all national and state sports events with men fighting overseas, killed or wounded. Those remaining played reduced or limited competitions and were largely in occupations that kept them from travelling overseas, such as manufacturing.

The relative economic boom times of the 1950s and 60s saw players and teams become more professional but noticeably more affluent. Many players retained their essentially manual labours but new occupations came to the fore, typically local government work, roads and garbage or maintenance, supplemented manual labouring work. The return of men from the armed services saw increased participation in the Police forces but importantly the rise of the registered club, linked to the returning servicemen gave clubs the first real opportunity to generate funds to permit an increase in match payments, and also in the types of work.

New jobs arose that were club and operations related, as well as the typical service related occupations of sales and deliveries. Sales covered everything from gaming machines to alcohol and cigarettes, from cars to insurances. This trend remained strong right through the 1980s with players finding employment in related service fields.

Around the time that players were finding employment in banks and clubs, a new professionalism arrived, started by jack Gibson and the richer clubs at the time. The emphasis on multiple training sessions, skills development, recovery and managed diets all required more time and attention. The Super League war meant clubs had to get returns on their investment, but the die was cast earlier when the game became faster and more skilful through rule changes in the 1960s-80s.

The era of garbage run training and police getting time off work to play league had ground to a halt and young man being truly paid to play has arrived, with one problem – players had too much money and too much time without some form of real occupation. In addition when their playing time was over, they didn’t have real-world workforce skills.

The student player and time-managed learning player era has arrived and is with us now, awaiting change into the next form, and eventual review of its success...

750 words betwix the stars

Last edited:

gorilla

First Grade
*snorts nose again twice, blowing bits of jelly-eel, tries to rub hands on referee's shorts*

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

Jogging onto Henson as fit as a fiddle. Pity the footy skills are attrocious

----------------------------------------------------
Hey Suburbia!

So, in what’s becoming a familiar pattern, it’s 11 o’clock and I’m searching for inspiration. Once again, the trusty Windows Media Player comes to the rescue, as shuffle play spins me some Screeching Weasel.

“Hey Suburbia Hey Suburbia Hey Suburbia we’re in love with you.”

It’s got me thinking about rugby league in Sydney.

Like many others on this board, some of my favourite days at the footy have been revelling in the glory of suburban rugby league. Whether it was in my younger days at North Sydney Oval watching the mighty Bears or more recently at grounds like Win, Kogarah or Leichhardt Oval.

These grounds seem to be packed out more often. Increases in membership and traditionally large clubs being in form have certainly helped.

But how much longer will this last?

Over the last twenty years dramatic changes have been witnessed in professional sport. After the Hillsborough Disaster in England what were old style, largely terraced grounds have been converted into modern all seaters all over the UK. Similarly, AFL has gone from a suburban competition to just two massive grounds, the MCG and the Docklands ground.

So does a similar future await rugby league?

“Try and tell us our future's at stake We're gonna slam dance on your grave Cause we don't give a sh*t about tomorrow”

Which makes me wonder if this is actually a celebration or a critique of the suburban attitude.

So you have to look at the possible reasons for leaving suburban grounds.

A simple manner of safety is one aspect. On the weekend just passed we saw the last match at Win Stadium in front of the old western grandstand. This is getting replaced due to its age and safety concerns that go with this, such as the issue of concrete cancer. Now being situated in a ‘regional centre’ helps the cause when gaining funding for a new stand, but would a government spring the funds for a new stand if this happened at say Leichhardt Oval? With the SFS and ANZ Stadium both relatively close by it’s hard to imagine it happening.

This all ties in with costs associated with redevelopment. Is it actually possible to gain the funds that would be required to bring Leichhardt, Kogarah or Brookvale up to the modern day standards?

Even more to the point, if you were to redevelop these kinds of grounds, would that maintain the suburban atmosphere that most rugby league fans know and love? Or would that simply turn them into mini concrete monoliths, a small scale Olympic stadium.

“We won't end up like you want us to be But so what cause we're always gonna be happy Cause we don't give a sh*t about tomorrow”

Of course the advantages of keeping them are plain to see.

Beyond the simple fact that fans love going to these grounds, many games are not going to draw attendances that justify an AFL-style ground rationalisation, at least not yet.

I also believe part of the attraction of rugby league, the tribal atmosphere, will be lost if we start to move clubs out of their suburbs.

Not to mention that, unlike Melbourne, our sides are much more spread out geographically, which makes ground rationalisation a more difficult option.

Is the solution to attempt to have our cake and eat it to? Currently the Wests Tigers play their highest drawing games at the SFS whilst also having a presence at Campbelltown and Leichhardt. This allows them to make the money off the bigger games whilst drawing large crowds at both Campbelltown and Leichhardt, as there is still the suburban novelty available. Will this become the preferred method for others, such as St George Illawarra and Manly, who still hold play out of the suburbs?

“Tell us we'll regret the things we did But we're just gonna give you a big wet kiss
Cause we don't give a sh*t about tomorrow”

Economics will be the eventual clincher in the death of suburban rugby league. It’s very difficult for clubs to make money off suburban games, due to council fees and associated costs. I guess when it comes down to it the survival of clubs is more important.

Unfortunately, I think the ‘tomorrow’ from the Screeching Weasel lyrics will eventually have to happen, as hopefully our crowds will begin to demand it. We just have to make the most of it while it’s still there.
------------------------------------
740 words according to the official counter

Last edited:

Someone

Bench
Someone recieves a cut out pass and heads for the tryline.

-----------------------------------------------------

Monday Mornings

Nobody likes a cold, windy Monday morning. Let's face it, all Monday mornings are bitter and evil.

Returning to school isn't a pleasure to me, never has been. I get up lifeless, do the usual pre-hell rituals of cleaning my teeth, and getting dressed into a boring white uniform.

The lift into town helps the mood. I'm not as depressed or unexcited about a 6 hour day of learning about plant cells. Maybe it's the music. Listening to a beat of some sort always helps my mind. As I get dropped off at the meet up point, my friends exchange greetings and walk to school, sometimes a word is hardly said. Until the weekend's results are mentioned.

"Did you see the smashing the Tigers handed the Rabbits yesterday"

"What about the test match last Friday, how good was Sam Thaiday'.

The chatter continues, and so does the bickering and bagging out of rival clubs. What do you expect when you have two Eels fans, a bulldogs fan, a sharks fan and a roosters fan. It gets hectic at times. The bagging out becomes personal and sometimes hysterical. Sarcasm and swearing, laughing and baiting. Everyone does it. I just hope that the Eels don't get smashed, that makes for quite an embarrassing and sad Monday.

Boppers (the Bulldogs fan) gets verbally hammered for what happened in 2002. In polite company we don't call the Bulldogs innocent. He goes on the defensive and calls the sharks useless. It's a continuous cycle of fighting between us, but in the end, we normally laugh it off.

Rugby League brings so much more to the world. All sports bring so much more to the world. Sport offers us entertainment, it offers us a sort of escape from reality. It brings competition to family and friends, whether it be the typical sledging or a tipping competition.

Everyone I know has a NRL team, and most of them are fairly passionate about their footy. And that's exactly what it is, their footy. The Fans own what NRL is today. Sometimes I think it means more to the fans than the players.

In most cases when catching up with friends or family, the first thing mentioned is football or some sort of sport. If you're out of things to say in a conversation, ask them about sport.

"Who do you follow in the NRL?"

The conversation could go sour if the person replies Manly.

The conversation could go real sour if the person replies "I don't follow NRL, I'd rather watch AFL".

The conversation could end if the person replies they don't like sport.

Football carries on through the day and the whole week at school. Sometimes, if a fellow student brings a footy to school we will play touch, and try and emulate what we have seen the week before.

By Tuesday we are discussing Monday night football. Normally Wednesday is a boring day in terms of chat about league, but this week the pinnacle of Rugby League will be on showcase. State of Origin will be talked about this week from Monday and Friday, no doubt. A fight, a chip and chase from Slater or maybe a controversial decision will be forever held in our minds.

Then there's Thursday, the weekend is drawing closer and to remind us the Matty Johns footy show and The Footy Show are on. Before you know it, its Friday and hype surrounding the weekends possible happenings get bigger, unless your team plays on Monday.

Football makes the week go faster. It gives us a reason not to kill ourselves of boredom on Monday. It gives the weekend even more meaning of freedom and delight, as now you can finally lay back and watch your pride and joy either win or lose, unless your team plays on Monday.

Before you know it, the weekend is over. It's now Monday morning, and you're walking to school. You meet up with your friends, workmates, whoever it be that you talk to on Monday and you exchange the wonders of the weekend that has past.

Normally everybody will get an early laugh in for the day. Everything after that first laugh is usually easier, or not as depressing. The day doesn't look so bad after all.
----------------------------------
714 Words bewteen the lines

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
muzby goose steps along the sideline for the bluebags..

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

750 words from title to end...

******************************************************************************************

A tale of two clubs - an open letter to Brian Waldron.

Dear Mr Waldron,

You do not know me, however with the recent news coverage of both you and the Melbourne Storm over the past month I feel as though I know you, so I wanted to write you this letter so that I can make my thoughts and feelings clear to you.

I am aware of the fact that at this moment the current claims made against you and your former employer are only allegations, however these alleged actions have cut deep into the fabric of both this sport and the town of Melbourne that I did not feel it was appropriate to wait until the matter is heard in court.

Mr Waldron, I trust I can call you Brian, these allegations have let down not only rugby league fans in Melbourne, but rugby league fans around the world. Sport is not a business, sport is about spirit, mateship and teamwork. Whilst a sporting club must be financially viable to survive, the cut throat tactics of the business world have no place in sport.

Brian, I understand that running a sports organisation is what you love to do. I know that there is nothing more that you would like than to step back into the chair of a sporting club, and I am confident that you will regain a position like that again one day in the future after this mess has died down. But Brian, before you take that step, I recommend you take a grass roots lesson in running a club. I would like to introduce you to a man called George, a man who has many similarities to you. He runs a sports club in Melbourne, he is passionate about on-field success, passionate about the team and how he can grow his club. Whilst you may see these similarities Brian, there is one major difference between you and George and that is that George focuses on the fans – the people without whom the game would not survive.

George’s club is by no means as big as a Melbourne Storm or a Melbourne Rebels, but still is a club that requires great ongoing organisation every week, just as you did with your clubs. George runs a Melbourne Based Dragons Supporters club, a group who passionately follows the St George Illawarra Dragons, who I am aware are a team who you do not have much respect for. Mr Waldron, to make things easier for you as you read this letter, I will refer to the Melbourne Based Dragons Supporters club from here on in as MBDS.

As you can see Mr Waldron, we have here a tale of two Melbourne clubs – the Melbourne Storm and MBDS. And whilst the 300 members of MBDS is much lower than the Storm’s 5000 members, if you speak to the members of MBDS, you will see that their passion and love for their team and their club is much stronger And whilst you are speaking to the members, make sure you speak to George. He’ll be there every week, and unlike you Brian, he won’t be high up in a corporate box working out ways to transfer extra money from sponsors to fans, George will be there amongst the fans and the members, cheering.

MBDS does not run for a profit. It is run as a member focused club with the prime goal of ensuring that Dragons fans are able to watch their team live each week in a city starved of rugby league coverage. George puts in the hard yards to ensure that each week around 50 Dragons fans can watch their team and cheer as one. And unlike your club, Brian, the end focus is on the members, who are rewarded for their loyalty through prizes and drinks, but most importantly time with each other.

So Brian, in finishing up, I recommend that you take the opportunity during your current downtime to come to an MBDS game, sit amongst the fans and really understand what rugby league is about. It’s not about profit, fudging the books or cheating. Rugby league and MBDS stand for the same purpose. For mateship and about the fans. It is about providing others with a chance to forget about the week that was and to come together as one and live through the players for 80 minutes this week.

I look forward to seeing you at an MBDS function in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Muzby

MITS builds up a head of steam with.

However they were cheating

I am not is a band wagon supporter, and I have a memory that goes back further than the 2009 Grand Final.

Melbourne Storm have admitted making salary cap breaches for the 2006 to 2010 seasons. The angst some of us have for this club is more deep seated than losing a Grand Final.

Since 2005, Parramatta has been the only team to in reality - and consistently - take the fight to the Melbourne Storm, only to have this illegal team finish our season.
In 2005, the Eels did what so many teams before them struggled to do - beat the Melbourne Storm at “The Graveyard”. The Eels won in Melbourne on the 16th of April 2005. The Sharks, Bulldogs and Panthers also achieved the same before the Graveyard got its groove back halfway through the 2005 season.
However, this is exactly when the Storm stared cheating.

In 2006, the Eels struggled after an early season slump. That slump saw long tenured coach Brian Smith walk away from the club, only for Jason Taylor to take over and steer the side to the finals - the first time in NRL history a caretaker coach had done so. However Eels narrowly lost to the Storm, 12–6, with many opportunities denied to the Eels during their last game of the year.
However again the Storm were cheating. This meant that the NRL careers of Glenn Morrison, Michael Vella and Paul Stringer all finished with a loss, along with the Eels careers of Dean Widders, Brett Delaney, Luke O'Dwyer and Henry Perenara.

In 2007, Michael Hagan takes over, and the Eels were solidly in the top eight from Round 10 onwards. Eventually finishing in 5th place, Parramatta then beat the Warriors and Bulldogs in consecutive weeks to face the Melbourne Storm (in Melbourne) for a place in the Grand Final. The Eels were gallant and apart from a few close calls could have pushed the Storm on the score board. Indeed the Eels lead for a large part of the game. The Storm won, and the NRL career of Timana Tahu looked to end with a loss, and Nathan Cayless received a torn pectoral muscle.
However again the Storm were cheating.

So we get to last year’s Grand Final. The Eels were riding a wave of confidence and form that had seen them win 10 of 11 matches, produce some sizzling football, and overall, help bring a large number of fans back to the game. The Grand Final was a torrid affair with the Eels staging a fight back in the last 20 minutes, while the Storm appeared to be fatiguing heavily. On the back of some mistakes the Storm scored a field goal and won the Grand Final.
However yet again the Storm were cheating.

Few can argue the necessity of the cap; most can argue that it (along with the funding the NRL provides to clubs) is low in comparison to league's competitors - Rugby Union, and the AFL. All league players should be compensated far more they are, the Independent Commission and new TV rights deals will allow this. The league players need to understand that the game can only afford so much for now, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Most pundits claim that taking away the Storm’s minor and major premierships is punishment enough and that if they can get back under the salary cap the Storm should be allowed to play for points and compete for this year’s title. However their team has been built and retained because the Storm were cheating. This is like the 2004 Premiership, where Canterbury won with players retained or gained in the 2002 season, in which they were caught breaching the salary cap. What Canterbury did was cheat, get slapped with a temporary punishment and then picking up the loot from their deeds, only had to wait 2 years to win the Premiership. If the Storm were to get away with this, it would be repeating the same mistake the NRL made with Canterbury. The Storm needs to be dashed to the winds.

Fans of the Storm feel cheated, but they still got to watch some great football and have premiership memories. Eels fans have had some long summers to contemplate their finals losses, and three years out of four they have been losses to a side that was cheating.

The Storm may well have been the side of the decade, however only through cheating.

750 Words

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Bluebags ...taking a well timed pass from muzby...
jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

The Life of Brian

smith-cameron-praying_150x150.jpg

"They are our people. They are our "society". The public... they can take care of themselves."
- Simon O'Reily (Anthony Lapaglia), 'The Bank'.

During a time when Good vs Evil was taken seriously, Jesus Christ reportedly went ballistic in a temple, trashing a marketplace in the process. He was essentially speaking out against the opulence of the rich and those taking advantage of the poor.

Like Robin Hood, Jesus is a legend. Equally like Robin, Jesus was a bit of a socialist when it came to distribution of wealth. According to match reports of the day, Jesus was crucified, but not before he was immortalised in song by Monty Python.

My other favourite legends are also held in high regard: Superman, Batman, and even The Hulk promised to protect us from evil. This is what life management is about. For all our faults, we want to take from the rich and give to the poor thus attempting to create that elusive level playing field. It is a philosophy that I fully support.

"I'm like God but with a better suit."
- Simon O'Reily again.

But some of the history makers get greedy, those that have been caught stealing from the poor box. They don't care that supporters from opposing groups are being ripped off. They don't care that others have missed out on their share of the wealth of talent. They justify it by saying they deserve the wealth, all of it.

These sinners have a far more simpler philosophy than mine: take from the rich... and kill the poor.

The fact is, this process of elimination ultimately kills off the community. This all means nothing to the suits. When they win, they can look after their mates and write history anyway they like.

Sound familiar? Some of the great conquerors of history have used the same logic. Lex Luthor, Ronald McDonald, Homer Simpson to name a few. Tyrants and drunkards that would have no hesitation to rewrite the history books when given the chance.

But sometimes justice prevails. Those who fail are majorly caught with their pants down. These losers feel the thud of falling from the greatest heights... and when they fall, the swords come from all directions.

But sadly, the greatest game takes the biggest hit of all.

How many honest folk willingly sacrifice their own well being in order to fit within the level playing field? How many get to keep the cream of the crop thanks to ill-gotten gains?

“Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?”
- Groucho Marx.

In the modern era of sport, we know of certain great sporting personalities - the likes of Cameron Smith and Hansie Cronje. For those who are wondering, these are real people. And before I go further, let me make it clear that these guys are greater Christians that I could ever hope to be.

Hansie dropped his dacks big time when he was caught cheating in international cricket. The captain of South Africa, Hansie sold out team and country to crooked bookmakers. When confronted by his peers in judgment, Hansie claimed he was possessed by the devil.

Now known as the 'Hansie Cronje syndrome', this method of defence robs otherwise sane people of any sense of reason. They jump into bed with scoundrels and fools, believing the most outrageous lies before defending the indefensible. In my opinion, the Hansie Cronje syndrome insults our intelligence
"The devil made me do it!" Poor Hansie, tears rolling down his face for all to see. Hansie would have us believe that the devil is real. Ironically, the devil made short work of him. In response to taking the rap for another fella's crimes, the dark avenger crashed Hansie's plane into a mountainside.

Now I'm not saying that Cameron is anything like Hansie. Sure, he was the catalyst that led to the investigations that busted the suits. Something about a Fox doing a deal. But no, Cameron looks like a chump to me, a pawn in a game to snare a much bigger fish.

The big fish goes by the name of Brian.

So what will become of Brian? Will he be able to take a leaf out of the creator's book and look on the bright side of life? Will he get away with it? Will he find himself in front of a real judge one day? If sentence is handed down, will he turn to God and use the Hansie defence?

Only time will tell.

| 750 words |
Ref:
Monty Python
IMDB.com

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
For referee's notice, the Bluebags make a substitution.

Drew-Sta is out following a computer meltdown.

Replacement: Ridders

Ridders

Coach
Ridders sprints onto the field and lines up to support Willow, but trips over

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

737 words right between the eyes

:shock:

Thank you Pricey

Canterbury Bulldogs 24 – New Zealand Warriors 30. The scoreline in itself cannot emphasise enough the frustration and pain that I'm sure all Dogs fans felt about the result.

Noddy shanked a fairly simple field goal attempt, that would have won the game, and then in the dying seconds, when the match seemed destined to be heading to golden point, the Dogs managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. At that very moment I, like many Dogs fans at the game, jumped out of my seat and headed for the exists. Just as I was about to check out, I looked up to the TV screens and saw a familiar face.

Steve Price. After all, this was our farewell to Pricey, given his impending retirement. As I headed back to the stands for the post-match ceremony, I realised that this brief chain of events was a reflection of what Steve Price meant to me during our darkest hours.

I think it would be fair to say that the Bulldog Club had a slightly bumpy ride during Price's short tenure as captain. After taking the honour from Darren Britt at the end of 2001, I don't think Price, or us fans for that matter, in his/our worst nightmares could have envisioned how tumultuous his time as the head man would be.

Things seemed to have started all well and good. In his first season with the C next to his name, the Dogs were a juggernaut, compiling 20 wins in the regular season, including a 17 game winning streak. Of course, we later learned that this greatness was achieved via rorting the cap.

I still remember the day I heard about the allegations. I was a young and ignorant teenager back then. It didn't really bother me that our squad had been illegally assembled. We were playing great footy every week and would soon be making a run for the title, and that's all I really cared about.

The day our punishment was handed out was perhaps one of the worst I've ever experienced as a League fan. Not only would we be denied a chance to prove our greatness in the finals, but we were destined for the wooden spoon. Talk about an ultimate comedown!

My faith to the game itself was broken. I felt robbed. I felt as though the game had cheated me. Steve Price's calm and dignity throughout the entire fiasco kept me going. I said to myself that if an individual who had just had his season's achievements thrown away, through no fault of his own, could publicly take the news with such professionalism, the surely so could I. It still hurt. Oh boy did it hurt. But I looked at Price and thought that things would get better.

Well then in 2004, Coffs Harbour came around. This brought it's own intense trauma. The Bulldog name became mud. We couldn't walk around in our club colours without being berated with rapist taunts. The media spotlight was intense. In an effort to appease the media frenzy, at the time I felt that the NRL almost seemed to condemn us even before the legal system had run its course.

Once again, I felt victimised. And once again, Steve Price's public displays of calmness and dignity helped me through. Here was a dedicated family man who had been tainted with the Coffs Harbour smear and yet day after day faced the media and managed to maintain a facade of professionalism and grace. It seems silly but he gave me strength, and in away, reaffirmed why I was proud to be a Doggies fan.

I'm an older person now, a more mature and wiser one. I look back on the events that unfolded during Price's captaincy reign with a different outlook. With more understanding. But I also wonder what would have been if Steve hadn't always been there to pull me back in whenever my faith was at its weakest. Would I still care for the game?

I walked back to my seat, and just as he had during his tenure at the club, Pricey brought me back in just when I was about to check out. It always saddened me that he wouldn't retire as a Bulldog, but as Pricey stood there on the podium, surrounded by his admirers, there was an overwhelming theme that swept us all.

Thank you Pricey.

:shock:

bartman

Immortal
Bartman gets pounded to the unforgiving Henson turf, but struggles to his feet to play the ball for the Eels...

- - - - -

A domestic competition?

housewife-woth-rolling-pin.jpg

Moving house can send you on a roller-coaster of conflicting emotions. That’s why it’s often quoted as being among life’s most stressful events alongside the death of a loved one, divorce, and waiting for Cronulla to actually win something…

When making a move everyone has to deal with the memories of their old place, plus their hopes and expectations for the new place, as well as sorting through (and maybe culling?) some of their accumulated belongings while preparing and packing for the big day. When you are leaving one home behind and looking at starting another you tend to give every little object some thought, to work out whether it can be a part of your life going forward, whether you need to temporarily store it somewhere for later on, or whether you’re going to give it away or junk it. It’s a process that can be much more stressful than simply shoving things into boxes and then unpacking them at the other end.

Last weekend I moved out from a shared apartment to start a new home with my girlfriend. So we’ve just been through all those practical (and lengthy) discussions about whose washing basket is better and which one we should take to our new place. It’s hard to get emotional about inanimate objects like household appliances and the like… you simply need them and you either have two of one type, just one of another, or you need to go out and buy something where there’s an obvious gap in the joint belongings.

The line becomes a little blurred when it comes to the more personal possessions, especially when you’re cohabiting with a partner as opposed to sharing with strangers or mates. These personal possessions I’m talking about include things you’ve bought for yourself because you wanted (not needed) them, and things you’ve been given over the years because people know you have an active interest. These are the individual items whose future in your newly cohabited house doesn’t come down to mere practical value, but instead is entirely up for negotiation based on fuzzy principles like “taste” and "aesthetics".

So last weekend, my very practical and cheaply pine bookshelves (of which I have more than a few) were moved into the new place with no arguments whatsoever. With a nod to aesthetics, my lovely partner suggested that we swap the positions of a short long bookshelf with a tall thin one and I readily agreed. She does know what she’s talking about, and the lounge room now looks a lot less “blocky” and “booked in” as a result. Previously these bookshelves have been home only to my CDs, my DVDs and my books, but in our new shared lounge room some compromises must of course be made!

And so this week, while unpacking our boxes of belongings and deciding upon their final fate, we came to our first point of competition on the domestic front – which books get pride of place on display in the lounge room bookshelves? Would it be my girlfriend’s more highbrow literature collection including the works of the Bronte sisters, Shakespeare, and Dostoyevsky; or would it be my non-fiction treasure trove of rugby league books and magazines, carefully gathered or gifted to me and maintained over the past almost thirty years?

In this type of domestic competition there can only be one winner and the fate of the loser’s precious belongings is for them to be consigned into a wooden storage chest, hidden away and inaccessible in a remote part of the house. Despite all the logic and passion a rugby league fan can muster, there actually is quite a compelling case for the joint decision about the how a lounge room appears to visiting guests coming down on the side of “aesthetics” and “taste” and whether guests are likely to be impressed….

In the end Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment was awarded a points victory over Tony Collins’ Class, Culture and the Origins of Rugby League Football, and so the Russian classic now sits staring down at me from the tall thin bookshelf in the lounge room. Henpecked? Maybe. But in the process of losing out on these domestic discussions I managed to extract one vital ongoing house agreement - that a State of Origin broadcast was a bigger priority than an episode of Masterchef.

At home you win some, and you lose some... but tonight (at least at my place) rugby league was the real winner!

- - - - -

747ish words

Last edited:

Goleel

Juniors
Gol for the Eels

--

Playing Games

The NRL markets itself rather well. Their pre season ad campaigns haven't really missed the mark since the days of 'Blow that whistle, ref' and they push their marquee games and events well. This season they put their mind to improving club membership numbers, and that was a resounding success. Their brand is unavoidable if you live anywhere in New South Wales or south east Queensland. So why have they been so lax in promoting what could be a vital tool in claiming the hearts and minds of budding young league fans?

I'm talking about the recently released rugby league video game, Rugby League 3 for the Nintendo Wii. Since 2003 there has been a steady trickle of video games based on our great sport coming from small New Zealand developer Sidhe, and for the most part they weren't worth promoting. Lacking the big budget and years of experience international sports releases receive, but expected to match them in quality by the demanding video game fans, the rugby league video game series has been largely ignored or ridiculed, and certainly hasn't earned much good will for the NRL, despite the good sales the early Playstation 2 releases had.

Rugby League 3 changed tack for the series by being a pretty darn good game. It certainly felt more like league than any previous release and had a heap more content, too. This fourth entry into the series (there was a spinoff World Cup edition in 2008 that was largely ignored) showed that Sidhe had learned from their experiences, and this was a game that the NRL could be proud represents their product. So why aren't they putting their marketing might behind it?

The Wii is outselling other gaming systems by a large margin, and appeals especially to families and children, the market a video game will have the greatest promotional effect on. That the NRL is not pushing their video game at NRL matches, during channel nine broadcasts or on The Footy Show is perplexing. Well, they may be pushing it on The Footy Show, I haven't watched in years, but the couple of hundred thousand people who still do watch it are still part of that target market. League fans. Unless they saw the goofy ad with Andrew Voss and Phil Gould playing together they may not even know this game exists. Their kids may not know it exists, and can't be pestering their parents to buy it for them. Then they can't be telling their friends about it, getting them to play it when they visit, and bugging their parents. All the while rugby league is at the front of their minds, and in their hearts. It is an undeniably effective marketing tool.

The game itself was delayed from the Christmas period last year to the start of the NRL season this year. Unfortunately this leaves the game a year out of date, a large mistake in itself, while video game development necessitates a month or twos delay between finalising code and arriving on the shelves, surely in January the game could be updated to 2010 club rosters. Not having Timana Tahu or Lote Tuqiri in the game is a shame, and something that should have been easily remedied. Missing that Christmas buying period hurt too. While launching the game as the season started seems a good idea, it is hardly a peak buying period for anybody in the middle of March. Perhaps a re-release this December would be a good idea, with updated rosters, of course, and a solid marketing campaign behind it to get this under Christmas trees in 2010.

Children are increasingly being targeted by every sport, and it is a clever move. Rugby league has the tradition, but more and more parents don't want their children playing the 'rough' sport of rugby league. Kids can easily be steered to the safer sports of soccer and AFL, and with that their hearts could also be drawn to the inferior sports. Rugby league needs to target those kids, and the video game should be a vital tool in that battle. The quality is now there, so don't be afraid, get the game on during halftime, have a weekly segment on the Footy Show, get Ray Warren to throw some quick plugs in for the game during the broadcast. The kids are there for the taking, we need to get to them any way we can.

--

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thank you time keeper.

Thanks Parra *hand shakes* - good luck everyone.

bartman

Immortal
Good luck to all, and apologies to Bluebags and fellow Eels - I thought we had all five posts covered in this one.

Pistol

Coach
Baggers

Gorilla with Jobs for the Boys – 89

All in all, a really good read.

Red Bear with Hey Suburbia! = 86

A good solid yarn

Muzby with A tale of two clubs - an open letter to Brian Waldron. = 87

Interesting…

Willow with The Life of Brian = 84

Very unique and a different approach but it didn’t quite hit home with me.

Ridders with Thank you Pricey = 85

A nice read about one of the gentlemen of the game and in my opinion, a true legend.

Eels

Someone with Monday Mornings = 84.

Interesting but disjointed in places. Still a good effort.

MITS with However they were cheating = 83

Seemed a tad rushed to me. A few errors creeped in but I liked the effort.

bartman with A Domestic Competition? = 84

Nothing outstanding with this one, but a good honest effort and a good read.

Goleel with Playing Games = 86

The marketing of this game was rather poor and the writer rightly pointed it out. A good read.

Baggers defeat Eels

431 – 337

POTM
Gorilla

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks ref. Your comments were right. It didn't quite hit home with me too. :D

Good luck for the rest of 2010 Parra. It would have been very interesting if it was 5v5.

Great work fellow baggers. Congrats Goz - yet another POTM performance.

bartman

Immortal
Thanks Ref, congrats Bluebags, let's keep up the effort until the season end Eels. Two games to go and maybe more if we get lucky :D.

Latest posts