What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 - Rabbitohs vs Dragons: Saturday 9th April 5:30pm @Accor Stadium

handyman2190

Bench
It's like taking 5 steps backwards so that you can take ten steps forward, we have glaring problem at left centre that only Latrell can fill until someone else comes along and personally I think Taaffe does a good job back there, not perfect but good and overall I think the team would be better for it........I know that this is not a popular idea with most supporters though.
Taafe has been earmarked to take over codys position on his retirement, playing him at centre may work, id be open to trying him there

southsport

First Grade
Plays fullback and tackles, not my ideal size either but to get us out of the shit we put ourselves in he may work out ok,id give him a go,cant be worse than what we have now.
To me the obvious is Latrell to centre for the moment and and Taaffe to fullback but I can't see it happening.

soc123_au

Staff member
The problem I have with Taafe at fullback is that when kick returning, or digging the ball out from deep in our territory is that he ends up driven 10-15 yards back from the point of initial contact by the opposition.

And that curious step he has just before the contact, his whole body weight and momentum is shifting backwards, not forwards into the defenders, and that is why he is ending up driven backwards.
He went pretty good in the first week of the finals last year in the 1. Considering his lack of experience and the added pressure of all the Latrell talk along side it makes it more impressive.

He went pretty good in the first week of the finals last year in the 1. Considering his lack of experience and the added pressure of all the Latrell talk along side it makes it more impressive.

Good point Sockmeister.

I think you agree with me that Souths are better served with Lats in the centres.

I illustrate my point with this live photo from a couple of years ago.

3415083D-3A9E-4037-8995-08B8C73561C6.jpeg

Now I bet you’re thinking like me that Lats should be running to his right here and moments before capture, looking to pass to exploit that space to his left on a run around.

Two roosters should be positioned to his left, a fullback on the go and a possible try under the post.

For the Souths faithful, this was the game where Keary had come back from concussion and threw the ball into the crowd. It was fun at the time, but didn’t age well. I think he’s a bit of a quiet hero now. He is for me.

Even the most avid Bunny fan, doesn’t want to see Luke get the dementia or other problems early.

No doubt JD is reading this thread and taking notes!

The sheer unbridled power of the Lats, frightening when deployed judiciously.

I’m still a bit upset with his Manu hit, but at least he seems serious about working it off.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
JD:

- Latrell struggling with a knee injury but looking good today and is probably at 95%. Had a cortisone after the game last week.
- Sounds like Taaffe could get some time at fullback
- Sauce had knee surgery at the back end of pre season (dont think that was reported) and is looking better for the run in NSW CUP.
- Paulo trained today for first time since head knock, Nicholls 8 weeks.
Mentioned Hame is back tomorrow (not sure if he meant NSW Cup as can’t imagine who he replaces in the NRL side).
- mentioned the lads are excited to have Moale in the team

JD:

- Latrell struggling with a knee injury but looking good today and is probably at 95%. Had a cortisone after the game last week.
- Sounds like Taaffe could get some time at fullback
- Sauce had knee surgery at the back end of pre season (dont think that was reported) and is looking better for the run in NSW CUP.
- Paulo trained today for first time since head knock, Nicholls 8 weeks.
Mentioned Hame is back tomorrow (not sure if he meant NSW Cup as can’t imagine who he replaces in the NRL side).
- mentioned the lads are excited to have Moale in the team

Theres so many players injured across the game already.

It’s hard to recall so many who are stuffed so early in the season.

soc123_au

Staff member
Good point Sockmeister.

I think you agree with me that Souths are better served with Lats in the centres.

I illustrate my point with this live photo from a couple of years ago.

View attachment 59992

Now I bet you’re thinking like me that Lats should be running to his right here and moments before capture, looking to pass to exploit that space to his left on a run around.

Two roosters should be positioned to his left, a fullback on the go and a possible try under the post.

For the Souths faithful, this was the game where Keary had come back from concussion and threw the ball into the crowd. It was fun at the time, but didn’t age well. I think he’s a bit of a quiet hero now. He is for me.

Even the most avid Bunny fan, doesn’t want to see Luke get the dementia or other problems early.

No doubt JD is reading this thread and taking notes!

The sheer unbridled power of the Lats, frightening when deployed judiciously.

I’m still a bit upset with his Manu hit, but at least he seems serious about working it off.
Latrell is an elite centre and a bog average fullback. His reason for wanting the 1 jersey is the coin that goes along with it, not the burning desire to be the best 1 in the game. His problem is the perception that you dont pay huge coin to non spine positions. I don't recall what he is getting paid, but I'd imagine around 900k to a million. Personally I have no issue paying that to the best in the game at their position if the team structure allows for it. In Souths case it does because they are paying him elite money now anyway, so allow him to earn it effectively.

I'd play him at centre and Taafe at fullback. I'd be using him 2 or 3 times a game in a fullback role in attack off either a penalty that starts with the tap inside the attacking half, a scrum inside the attacking 40 or maybe a dropout. Taafe could shuffle to the wing for that set, with the winger moving in to cover Latrell in the centres.

Doing that gives you the use of his strengths as a fullback, but even better because he isn't gassed from all the work that he is shit at anyway. The rest of the game you have one of the best centres of the NRL era playing outside Cody Walker. How can you possibly go wrong?

Taafe at the back in his 2 appearances against Penrith is 1 and 1. The game he lost was the grand final where we won by scoring 2 tries. 1 off an intercept. We had all the field position and Nathan's kicking game that night was arguably the best kicking performance ever in a gf. Not 1 try was conceded from a kick. Defensively and positionally that alone tells me the kid is up to it. If he modelled himself trying to copy a similar game as Dylan Edwards or Gutho Souths would be laughing. You dont need a highlight reel fullback with Cody and Latrell on the left and Latrell with a licence to roam in attacking positions. He would need to work on his tough carries coming out of trouble, but if he has the ticker for it that can be managed over an off season.

The talk around Souths beating us in the gf if Latrell played amuses me. I think if he hadn't been suspended we win week 1 and not meet in the gf to start with. If we still did given the field position and Cleary's kicking that night we win by 13+. Latrell is 0 and 4 against us while wearing the 1 on his back.

handyman2190

Bench
Latrell is an elite centre and a bog average fullback. His reason for wanting the 1 jersey is the coin that goes along with it, not the burning desire to be the best 1 in the game. His problem is the perception that you dont pay huge coin to non spine positions. I don't recall what he is getting paid, but I'd imagine around 900k to a million. Personally I have no issue paying that to the best in the game at their position if the team structure allows for it. In Souths case it does because they are paying him elite money now anyway, so allow him to earn it effectively.

I'd play him at centre and Taafe at fullback. I'd be using him 2 or 3 times a game in a fullback role in attack off either a penalty that starts with the tap inside the attacking half, a scrum inside the attacking 40 or maybe a dropout. Taafe could shuffle to the wing for that set, with the winger moving in to cover Latrell in the centres.

Doing that gives you the use of his strengths as a fullback, but even better because he isn't gassed from all the work that he is shit at anyway. The rest of the game you have one of the best centres of the NRL era playing outside Cody Walker. How can you possibly go wrong?

Taafe at the back in his 2 appearances against Penrith is 1 and 1. The game he lost was the grand final where we won by scoring 2 tries. 1 off an intercept. We had all the field position and Nathan's kicking game that night was arguably the best kicking performance ever in a gf. Not 1 try was conceded from a kick. Defensively and positionally that alone tells me the kid is up to it. If he modelled himself trying to copy a similar game as Dylan Edwards or Gutho Souths would be laughing. You dont need a highlight reel fullback with Cody and Latrell on the left and Latrell with a licence to roam in attacking positions. He would need to work on his tough carries coming out of trouble, but if he has the ticker for it that can be managed over an off season.

The talk around Souths beating us in the gf if Latrell played amuses me. I think if he hadn't been suspended we win week 1 and not meet in the gf to start with. If we still did given the field position and Cleary's kicking that night we win by 13+. Latrell is 0 and 4 against us while wearing the 1 on his back.
Can u go back to your own boring forum and leave us alone, we really dont appreciate your smug bs and calling latrell a bog ordinary FB,he had a knee injury last week, and you presume too much

Rabbits20

Immortal
"We've got to get out own backyard in order" - Demetriou: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/04/08/weve-got-to-get-our-own-backyard-in-order---demetriou/

Everyone seems very fired up and focused this week. I hope that translates onto the field out there tomorrow night.

'Baited' Dragons star warned off Souths rival: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...abbitohs/93fab6b5-4c1c-434c-8c80-9bb9757571b6
FIRE UP BRO

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

soc123_au

Staff member
Can u go back to your own boring forum and leave us alone, we really dont appreciate your smug bs and calling latrell a bog ordinary FB,he had a knee injury last week, and you presume too much
You know that forums are for discussion?

I might be a Penrith fan, but I'm also a rugby league fan in general. If I came in here and called you a toothless derro, then fire away. But being a dick because of who I support during a civil discussion says a lot more about you than it does me. And I've said the same to Penrith supporters in our forum when they do what you did when we have guests.

Tell me about the time Latrell put on a defensive and positional masterclass worth his salary playing at fullback. I'll wait.

handyman2190

Bench
You know that forums are for discussion?

I might be a Penrith fan, but I'm also a rugby league fan in general. If I came in here and called you a toothless derro, then fire away. But being a dick because of who I support during a civil discussion says a lot more about you than it does me. And I've said the same to Penrith supporters in our forum when they do what you did when we have guests.

Tell me about the time Latrell put on a defensive and positional masterclass worth his salary playing at fullback. I'll wait.
You invade us then try to justify your rudeness, we are really just not interested in your patronising bs, obviously your own forum is garbage so you try to infiltrate then go on about our players worth, and your so arrogant you know if latrell played we still would have lost, you think? Well you may think but we dont need you to remind us that that game could have gone our way,you didnt flog us,we can stand proud,and none of our players mocked your team or were rude and disrespectful, just go we dont need you as much as u obviously want us,go back to your closet

soc123_au

Staff member
You invade us then try to justify your rudeness, we are really just not interested in your patronising bs, obviously your own forum is garbage so you try to infiltrate then go on about our players worth, and your so arrogant you know if latrell played we still would have lost, you think? Well you may think but we dont need you to remind us that that game could have gone our way,you didnt flog us,we can stand proud,and none of our players mocked your team or were rude and disrespectful, just go we dont need you as much as u obviously want us,go back to your closet
It's my opinion dickhead. Of course I don't "know" none of us do, because it didn't happen. Did you read my whole post, or your eyes glazed over when I said Latrell was a poor fullback?

If I see a discussion I'm interested in joining in on, then I will. If you are that insecure that you cant handle the opinion of an opposition supporter then put me on ignore or blow me.

handyman2190

Bench
It's my opinion dickhead. Of course I don't "know" none of us do, because it didn't happen. Did you read my whole post, or your eyes glazed over when I said Latrell was a poor fullback?

If I see a discussion I'm interyou can bested in joining in on, then I will. If you are that insecure that you cant handle the opinion of an opposition supporter then put me on ignore or blow me.
Your a rude prick just like your mongrel dog team you resort to name calling and rudeness POQ

soc123_au

Staff member
Your a rude prick just like your mongrel dog team you resort to name calling and rudeness POQ
tissue-box-L-5.jpg

It's "you're"