What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 - Rabbitohs vs Dragons: Saturday 9th April 5:30pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Mitchell: Not too much to talk about as he went off early with that leg injury but the minutes that he did play, he was impressive. A strong run or two and great support play to put himself in the picture to finish off that awesome try. Really hoping his injury is minor, fingers crossed.

Johnston: AJ was pretty solid. Didn't get much good ball on attack to work with however, I did think his running game was really strong. Quality kick returns and hit ups, he was busy in that area. Managed to break a few tackles with his footwork. Picked up 114 meters off 14 runs so pretty good effort there. Was safe as under the high ball and his defence was pretty good.

Milne: Not a bad night for Taane at all, but I still feel it could have been better. His carries were probably the best part of his game, an immense effort there. He ran hard and had some barnstorming hit ups to get us out of our own end, some great showings of strength. A great line run for his try. Found himself in space various times throughout the game but failed to really do much with it aside from make meters and take the tackle. I think he could have tried to set AJ up a bit better a few times. Still, he topped the run meters for us with a massive 175 meters!! Made an error though. Did make some good reads without the ball but over all, I think his defence left a lot to be desired. the Dragons bombed a try in the first half and that chance was Taane's fault because he let Lomax get on his outside and then arm grabbed to let him slide through. It was a lapse from Taane again that saw the Dragons score on fulltime. He was too aggressive and came out on his man too fast which left a gaping hole for Su'A to stroll through. So while I feel he went okay, he does have some stuff to work on.

Graham: Another top shelf game from Stretch and I think he was one of our best out there tonight. Was in everything! Really strong carries of the ball, just about every hit up of his was a good one with plenty of meters. He ended up with 166 all up which is fantastic! What's more, he looked super dangerous attacking the line and threatened to slice through a lot, he was our go-to in attack for that reason. Didn't have to do a lot personally but he got his try in the second half which was well deserved. In defence, he was strong too. Missed the odd tackle but nothing too detrimental got passed him, he saved Mansour's ass many times. Great performance Campbell! He's well and truly in form.

Mansour: Bit of a mixed night. He's copped a bit online for his performance but I actually think he went okay. Apart from the odd run where he went a bit sideways and that silly carry where he got carried into touch (that was a brain explosion), I thought his efforts with the ball were decent. Still made 111 meters which is nothing to be scoffed at. A mixed night in defence because while he did shut down a few plays which looked dangerous throughout the game, there was a few lapses there which put us under pressure and if it hadn't been for the efforts of Campbell Graham, we could have been in trouble. So I think the Sauce went okay. We still need more for a first grade winger but he was okay.

Walker: Pretty poor once again. I'm really starting to worry about him. Was pretty much non-existent all game. Had the odd good pass to put some guys outside him in space but that was about it. Otherwise, he came up with nothing. Ineffective passes and didn't create anything. Hardly ran the ball and came up with an error too. His defence was okay though which was a positive. Something is certainly wrong. I don't know whether it's the ghosts of the Grand Final or off-field stuff but that's five games now where he hasn't done much. We've really needed him to stand up and he hasn't delivered. Even his body language just looks way off. I really hope we, and he, can sort it out and he gets his mojo back soon because I miss the old Cody Walker magic, the best player in the comp on his day but we haven't seen that so far in 2022. Please fix it because it's our biggest problem at the moment.

Ilias: Just continues to get better and better and it was another great showing from the kid last night. Once again he stepped up, took control and really owned the contest. His ball playing was first class as he created plenty of opportunities over the 80 minutes. A beautiful face ball to Keaon to set up our third try, Lachie created that movement and the boys were good enough to finish it off. Then another lovely bit of ball playing on the other side of the field late in the game to put Taane over. That was a peach of a short ball, so good to watch! Loved that he showed a running game too and his step looked very dangerous. Kicking game still needs a bit of work but it was pretty good for the most part. Especially his short kicking game as he forced a line drop out and would have had a try assist of a kick if Graham didn't bobble it. The negatives of his night were the error and not finding touch in the first half but I still think he was one of our best out there for the second week in a row. We have a real player on our hands here and I can't wait to watch him grow even more!

callmack1

Staff member
Tatola: Pretty disappointed in his efforts last night not gonna lie. Some of his carries were good but for the most part, he didn't provide much punch. Only 89 meters for him in what some are describing as a lazy performance. He can definitely do a lot better, needs to step up.

Cook: Someone that did step up was Cookie! And boy, oh boy, didn't he step up in a big way!! Just about the best game I've seen him play in two years as that devastating running game was back! He tore the dragons apart through the middle all game and what I really liked about it was he didn't just run for the sake of it, it was perfectly timed runs. I count about four or five runs he had where he zipped away and threatened to break through. Obviously the highlight was that long run early in the game to set up our first try, that was just Cookie at his best! Bet three defenders, raced up field and then took the right option with the pass to send us away for the try. It was brilliant to watch! On top of that, he still made a massive 47 tackles! What a performance from Cookie, our best player!

Burgess: Went pretty well all things considered. Made huge meters in his two stints with 156 which really helped lay the platform for us. A lot of those meters where post contact as he showed some real strength and leg power to keep driving through the line. Did make one poor error and although he did make a lot of meters, I feel like he could run a bit harder, there was a fair few runs there where he just dawdled into the line. But apart from that, a very solid performance from big Tommy.

Koloamatangi: His form has been a bit up and down to start the year but this is now the second great game he's put together for 2022. He was immense last night. Strong carries, high work rate and that shows in his stats with 17 runs for 171 meters. I think those stats kind of speak for themselves as the Dragons found it hard to contain him. A brilliant show of agility and strength for his try, had three defenders all over him yet he still managed to get it down, awesome play! It was another awesome play for our third try too as Keaon ran that perfect line of Lachie, found a bit of a hole and then got that brilliant offload away, was a super slick play and Keaon had a huge hand in it. I think his defence still leaves a bit to be desired though, that was the only real negative of his game last night. A pretty poor effort on Mbye when he scored, I expect better from Keaon there. But yea, still a great night for the big man!

Arrow: Another great game from Jai, ever so consistent! He did his job with little fuss and didn't put a foot wrong all night. Just constantly carting the ball up to ensure he made an impact on the game. It was his offload that really got things going for our first try too. What's more, I can't fault him in defence either. he even put on some good shots to force errors. Well done Jai!!

Murray: Just like Arrow, it was another consistent performance from Cam as he was massive for us through the middle once again. I wouldn't expect anything less from the skipper. Some really, really sharp runs to poke his nose through, get on the front foot and get a quick play-the-ball. That's what got us on top early. His ball playing, apart from one poor pass to Lachie, was on song and he had a hand at first receiver for our third try. Almost scored one himself off a magnificent carry close to the line, only to have it disallowed by a BS decision. As always his defence was fantastic with 37 tackles and I think a good sign of his performance was the fact that we dipped a little bit when he went off.

Taaffe: I reckon Taaffey deserves a huge wrap for the role he played last night. Wouldn't have trained fully for a number of weeks and it wouldn't have been the plan for him to play that long last night but he was thrust straight in, played 70 or so minutes and was great for us! Certainly deserves high praise! Safe as houses at the back with his positional play and his ability under the high ball and his defence at the back was great. Not a bad running game, good kick returns and he did look pretty dangerous at times. I would have liked to see him chime into the backline a bit more though. Great fast hands to put Campbell over and his goal kicking was top notch. An awesome return game for Taaffey!!

Host: A real tradesman-like performance from Hosty. One of those games where you don't really appreciate what he actually did until you go back and watch the replay and look at the stats. He was very, very solid for us and got through a lot of work against his old club. Good lines run and hard carries all night. 15 runs for 149 meters is fantastic!!

Moale: Loved Davvy's efforts last night! He played limited minutes but made an impact when he came on that's for sure! Every single one of his carries were strong as he ran hard and ran with aggression. The Dragons did find him hard to handle. It was one of his carries that lead to the momentum created for Keaon's try. Davvy looks every bit a first grader, every bit a star and I want him in the 17 full time from now on.

Knight: Knighty was okay, had some pretty decent carries and I thought he did make a pretty decent impact off the bench. Came up with a poor error though.

So all in all I think we can all agree it was an ugly performance. We have a lot to work on still, a lot of stuff to fix up. I'm still confident that if it all comes together, we'll be sweet as. it's just a matter of making it come together.

We were still good enough to walk away with the two points and that's what really matters.

It looks like JD is preaching a hi NRG game. Blast forward and sweeping passing phases; keep the ball alive, back yourself and back up one another. Still clunky in parts - the slick field and greasy ball wouldn’t have helped - but it certainly is entertaining.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
If we are a genuine threat we’d have beat the dragons without Latrell by min 20 points.
Mansour is slow and can’t jump, sure he runs but it’s across the field not up it, he’s constantly out of position.
Is there a another winger lying in wait and hungry that can be given a go against some lesser teams in the coming weeks?
Is the the answer Taafe at fullback and Latrell in the centre’s? I like the idea of Taafe playing a Benji like role off the bench though.
At this point I’ll be more surprised if we make the 8 than if we don’t.

truthslayer

Juniors
If we are a genuine threat we’d have beat the dragons without Latrell by min 20 points.
Mansour is slow and can’t jump, sure he runs but it’s across the field not up it, he’s constantly out of position.
Is there a another winger lying in wait and hungry that can be given a go against some lesser teams in the coming weeks?
Is the the answer Taafe at fullback and Latrell in the centre’s? I like the idea of Taafe playing a Benji like role off the bench though.
At this point I’ll be more surprised if we make the 8 than if we don’t.
We will make the 8 and close to top 4

Rabbits20

Immortal
How’s he denied a chance? You know what denied him a chance, the fact that he came in and made a decision to go in on Tevita Tatola.

Ginnane responded: “I can’t answer the question.”

The bunker has been under fire all season for a series of strange decisions.

The criticism centres around the rules being applied without commonsense.

Souths coach Jason Demetriou was unhappy with the try being taken off Murray post game.

“I think it is a defensive decision,” Demetriou said.

“He comes from outside in and he makes the decision.

“I’m not sure. If Junior makes contact with the inside defender I can understand it being overturned but I thought it was an odd one.

“When I saw it I thought as long as Cam (Murray) caught it outside the lead then it would be fine, but it wasn’t to be.”

Rabbits20

Immortal
We were never gonna be a top 4 team this year for mine. My Dad still thinks we will be and he likes perfection. I keep telling him the sooner he excepts we are not as good as last year and the sooner he accepts it the more he will enjoy our games.

Before a ball kicked off I predicted us to finish 6th.

Rabbits20

Immortal
What do we think is the reason why Cody is off? Could be a number of things, personal/family issues, misses Wayne, misses Reyno, might be carrying an injury, misses Gagai now no Trell. Might be unhappy about not being Captain...... might be haunted by last years GF....... might be overthinking re trying not to make errors.......

Last edited:

Morehead St

Juniors
What? Obviously don’t watch the Storm when Bellamy is blowing up lol, what a dumb comment.
No, mate. Bellamy never directs the blow-up abuse directly at the player the way Demetriou did: watch it again then compare it to Bellamy - what a dumb comparison. Do you actually pay attention? BTW our bloke ain't no Bellamy - so don't even mention them in the same breath. What a gold standard dumb comment that was.

handyman2190

Bench
No, mate. Bellamy never directs the blow-up abuse directly at the player the way Demetriou did: watch it again then compare it to Bellamy - what a dumb comparison. Do you actually pay attention? BTW our bloke ain't no Bellamy - so don't even mention them in the same breath. What a gold standard dumb comment that was.
How the hell would you know who bellamy directs his abuse at? Are u sitting next to him? How would u know what JD said? And quite frankly, I DONT blame him!!!! Some of the stupidity yesterday was unbelievable, are u an expert lip reader? Or just a critisizing bullshit artist, lay off!!
Your closet awaits!!

Morehead St

Juniors
How the hell would you know who bellamy directs his abuse at? Are u sitting next to him? How would u know what JD said? And quite frankly, I DONT blame him!!!! Some of the stupidity yesterday was unbelievable, are u an expert lip reader? Or just a critisizing bullshit artist, lay off!!
Your closet awaits!!
You watch with both eyes open. At the same time, you also need to keep your brain alert. Then you have to put the two together to formulate a thought on what just happened in front of you. From your DUMB comments, (and I have gone through a couple of yours before I got bored shitless and before I began to think there was no hope for the future of the human race), you are excused from that basic use of skills because you have no experience. Now piss off because I'm looking at the footy - as opposed to you just staring at it waiting for the fun to start when the adverts come on. When I want to hear your opinion I'll go into the toilet and pull a chain. Simple (just like you).

Latest posts