What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

round 5 v manly

YNWA Tigers

Juniors
WOW! Massive call right there..... Really? Are you just being a bit bias

No, don't think so. I'm not souths supporter and have no reason to be bias.
Good defensively, makes good runs and scores tries and try assists.
Didn't say he was THE best center, but much better than A LOT of other centers currently playing.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Api gave Keary a bath last nite,very dissapointed in Keary.

Yep.

Keary is not performing. Disappointing.

Newc, the refs were bad. Even Madge wasn't happy with the refs in his press conference. Of course he remained respectful. Not often you see Madge not happy with calls.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hunt has been a very pleasant surprise--he is very good defensivey which suits Madge to a tee!!

He also has a good fend and makes good metres.

He made the most in our team last night with 128metres plus a good defensive effort.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Oldfield made 15 tackles with no missed tackles. He also made 8 for 69metres. Gave a penalty away and knocked on though.

Overall I was happy with him.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Madge said there were weird offside penalties against us.

Well Manly were also offside and didn't get penalised.

Starling and Taufau knocked on and they missed both.

Parcell was inside the 10m off the kick. We didn't get the penalty either.

Madge said those things are turning points and it has to be looked at.

Obviously he's unhappy with the decisions going against us.

souths_pride

Juniors
A lot of people seem to be unhappy with the refereeing but to be honest, I thought the refereeing was way worse against the Bulldogs than in last nights game. For instance, Josh Morris' second try, where Aidan Tolman stripped the ball, was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen! I also think a major problem with referees is that they are too scared about having one sided penalty counts and as a result start blowing cheap, "even up the count" penalties so as not to attract the ire of coaches and the rugby league community as a whole. That is probably the most likely explanation for those weird offside penalties!

I think we all need to accept that in games we are going to get decisions that go against and for our teams. We can't constantly have the bunker or another referee interfering on everything and slowing the game down. I think that is still the biggest problem in rugby league - speeding the spectacle up. I really like the shot clock for scrums and drop outs and I did like the bunker at first, but as the first few rounds have gone by, I've noticed they are taking longer and longer to adjudicate on decisions.

Last edited:
Brad Fittler’s interview with George Burgess was slightly awkward

March 31, 201611:54pm

BRAD Fittler’s skills with the ball when he was on the park were always sublime, but the same can’t be said about his interviewing technique.

Speaking to players on the Brookvale Oval surface after South Sydney’s win over Manly on Thursday night, the former NSW and Australian playmaker had an awkward exchange with Rabbitoh George Burgess and his mum Julie.
When Burgess mentioned to Fittler he was on his way to visit “Julie B” in the stands, all of a sudden Freddie became obsessed.
Brad Fittler: Should we go and say hello to Jules? Come on mate.
George Burgess: Nah she doesn’t want to be on camera.
BF: She does.
GB: She does not.
BF: She’s calling us over.
GB: She’s not.

BF: Hey Jules! See, she’s calling us.
Burgess finally relented and Fittler managed to ask Julie one question about how good it was to have all her sons (George, Sam and Thomas) on the field together before George tapped him on the shoulder, suggesting it was time to leave.
“We’re off? We’ve been brushed. I don’t want to mess with big George either. I’d be in real trouble then,” said Fittler.
It was a harmless exchange, but cringe-worthy all the same.

Burgess was strong for the Sea Eagles.Source:Getty Images

THE SPRAY
SOUTH Sydney coach Michael Maguire reportedly delivered an epic spray to his side at half-time in their clash with Sea Eagles.
Maguire obviously wasn’t happy with how his team finished off the first half, despite ending the opening 40 minutes with a 16-6 lead.
Channel 9 presenter Yvonne Sampson told viewers that Souths actually covered up the cameras in their dressing room because Maguire was so fired up.
“Souths covered up the cameras in their sheds at half-time, that’s because Michael Maguire was giving one of the greatest half-time sprays,” said Sampson.
“The shouting was apparently echoing down the hallway.”
The Rabbitohs players didn’t heed their mentor’s instructions when play resumed in the second stanza, conceding an early penalty.
“If they’ve copped an almighty spray at half-time I’m not sure this is the reaction the coach would have been looking for,” said Phil Gould.
“The problem with giving a spray like that is you’ve only got one or two of those a season. If it starts to become a habit it has no effect whatsoever.”
6c60cb6b13d39c1d9630326a14716d07

Koroisau kept manly in the hunt.Source:AAP

THE MATCH
The Rabbitohs snuck home on the back of a try double to Cameron McInnes for a 16-12 win.
In an entertaining match to open the NRL’s fifth round, Souths totally dominated the opening exchanges to jump out to a 16-0 lead, before finishing off the game with their defence against a resurgent Sea Eagles.
Manly were poor early, letting in two soft tries to McInnes. The Rabbitohs rake worked his way over from dummy half in the sixth and 11th minutes. The visitors added to that lead 17 minutes later when Cody Walker muscled his way over for a scoreline of 16-0.
The running was all with Souths, as Sam Burgess, in his comeback from a neck injury, and brother George, led the way.
But with Daly Cherry-Evans sidelined, Manly’s makeshift halves combination of Dylan Walker and Apisai Koroisau then made their impact felt on the contest.
Against their old club Walker and Koroisau continually threatened the line with ball in hand as the locals began to dominate the forward battle.
Koroisau was rewarded for his hard work when he forced his way over on the hour mark as Manly bridged the score to 16-12.
The Sea Eagles enjoyed the best of field position for the final 20 minutes but couldn’t land the killer blow as Souths bounced back well from their 42-12 thrashing to Canterbury last week.
— with AAP

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/mi...y/news-story/e2a44a0c42dc59d5174697ee9e77d2ca

Burgess Pleased With Return

Words & Video: Tom Skolarikis & Guy Bevan

Fri 1st April, 12:31PM
A A

Sam Burgess was pleased with his return to the field last night against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles last night following a week off injured.

Burgess played the full 80 minutes at prop for the men in Red and Green, making 125 metres with the ball in hand and completing 30 tackles.

The Englishman confirmed to the Rugby League media this morning (Friday) that he had pulled up well from the physical encounter and was looking forward to what lies ahead for the team.

“The lungs felt it more than anything,” smiled Burgess when quizzed about the match.

Related Stories

Match Highlights

Post-Match Press Conference

Fujitsu Post-Match Reaction - Maguire

Match Report

“It’s good to be back out with the team and I thought there were some great efforts individually and collectively.

“I thought we showed a lot more character than we did the week before – we were pleased with that.”

An opening 15 minute flurry of points saw the Rabbitohs race out to a 16-0 lead, with hooker, Cameron McInnes scoring a double.

But while the Rabbitohs didn’t add to that tally for the remainder of the match, a monumental defensive effort saw them keep a fast-finishing and enthusiastic Sea Eagles outfit away from the two points.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2016/04/01/burgess_pleased_with.html

Sam Burgess played 80 minutes after having only trained once since his release from hospital
April 1, 2016 4:15pm

Sam Burgess' 'injury felt fine' in his return match

THE legend of Sam Burgess continues to grow.

To prove Burgess is the toughest man in rugby league, The Daily Telegraph can reveal the big Englishman punched out 80 minutes for South Sydney on Thursday night having completed just one full training session after being released from St Vincent’s Hospital.

Burgess was cleared of serious neck and spinal damage last Tuesday week, but did not take part in his first serious hitout until Wednesday — eight days later + on the eve of the trip to Brookvale Oval.

He could barely stand at the end of the Bunnies’ 16-12 win, which featured him running for 132m, make 27 tackles and three tackle busts.

“I’ve been fatigued in games, but I was extremely fatigued last night [Thursday], and for some reason I couldn’t fill my lungs,’’ Burgess told The Daily Telegraph.

“I don’t know if I took a whack early on my right side, but there was a lot of shallow breathing.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/5fed81f90061fc604c0f4dadbdf2b1b8

Madge gives one of the all-time great halftime sprays
March 31, 2016 8:10am EDTMarch 31, 2016 8:10am EDTThose who witnessed it reckon it was one of the great halftime sprays.
LEAGUE
SHARETWEETEMAIL

Michael Maguire
By Adam Lucius
Published on Mar. 31, 2016
Those who witnessed it reckon it was one of the great halftime sprays.

With the Rabbitohs having a 16-point lead over Manly cut to 10 just before the break, a team official threw a cloak over the dressing-room cameras as South Sydney coach Michael Maguire unloaded on his team.

MORE: Gould identifies switch to kick-start Manly's new era l Yet another twist in Semi's eligibility saga

His words carried outside the tiny Brookvale Oval away dressing room and down the corridor to anyone within a 20m earshot.

“Souths covered up the cameras in their sheds at half-time, that’s because Michael Maguire was giving one of the greatest half-time sprays,” Channel 9’s Yvonne Sampson reported.

“The shouting was apparently echoing down the hallway.”

The Rabbitohs responded with a terrific second half defensive effort to hold on for an invaluable 16-12 win.

Madge did not go into specifics about his spray but he made it clear he was not a happy man at halftime.

“To start like that and not go on with it…there are certain things we’ve definitely got to look at,” Maguire said.

“We put a lot of pressure on ourselves. You can’t let teams do that to you. You’ve got to work.

“If you want to be consistent in the competition you look at teams like the Broncos, the Cowboys, the Bulldogs.

“We’ve got to make sure we’re following that.”

But Maguire saw enough in the second half to convince him the Bunnies had turned a big corner following the Good Friday debacle.

“I am very proud of the effort they showed for each other and how they got up,” he said.

“Our boys stuck solid. They showed a lot of character.

“The players showed what the jumper means to them.”

http://www.nospam47.com/league-news...eat-sprays-nrl-rabbitohs-souths-manly-maguire

Last edited:

Rsag85

Bench
To be fair they did miss a similar one from kyle turner as well

Well they miss another bad call with one of the line drops, when the lead up to that the Sea Eagles player was off side and got involved in the play to get the repeat set and force the line drop out.

Some shocking calls last night which I thought the video ref should of came in and changed the live call.