What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

round 5 v manly

Rsag85

Bench
Brad Fittler?s interview with George Burgess was slightly awkward

March 31, 201611:54pm

BRAD Fittler?s skills with the ball when he was on the park were always sublime, but the same can?t be said about his interviewing technique.

Speaking to players on the Brookvale Oval surface after South Sydney?s win over Manly on Thursday night, the former NSW and Australian playmaker had an awkward exchange with Rabbitoh George Burgess and his mum Julie.
When Burgess mentioned to Fittler he was on his way to visit ?Julie B? in the stands, all of a sudden Freddie became obsessed.
Brad Fittler: Should we go and say hello to Jules? Come on mate.
George Burgess: Nah she doesn?t want to be on camera.
BF: She does.
GB: She does not.
BF: She?s calling us over.
GB: She?s not.

BF: Hey Jules! See, she?s calling us.
Burgess finally relented and Fittler managed to ask Julie one question about how good it was to have all her sons (George, Sam and Thomas) on the field together before George tapped him on the shoulder, suggesting it was time to leave.
?We?re off? We?ve been brushed. I don?t want to mess with big George either. I?d be in real trouble then,? said Fittler.
It was a harmless exchange, but cringe-worthy all the same.

Burgess was strong for the Sea Eagles.Source:Getty Images

THE SPRAY
SOUTH Sydney coach Michael Maguire reportedly delivered an epic spray to his side at half-time in their clash with Sea Eagles.
Maguire obviously wasn?t happy with how his team finished off the first half, despite ending the opening 40 minutes with a 16-6 lead.
Channel 9 presenter Yvonne Sampson told viewers that Souths actually covered up the cameras in their dressing room because Maguire was so fired up.
?Souths covered up the cameras in their sheds at half-time, that?s because Michael Maguire was giving one of the greatest half-time sprays,? said Sampson.
?The shouting was apparently echoing down the hallway.?
The Rabbitohs players didn?t heed their mentor?s instructions when play resumed in the second stanza, conceding an early penalty.
?If they?ve copped an almighty spray at half-time I?m not sure this is the reaction the coach would have been looking for,? said Phil Gould.
?The problem with giving a spray like that is you?ve only got one or two of those a season. If it starts to become a habit it has no effect whatsoever.?
6c60cb6b13d39c1d9630326a14716d07

Koroisau kept manly in the hunt.Source:AAP

THE MATCH
The Rabbitohs snuck home on the back of a try double to Cameron McInnes for a 16-12 win.
In an entertaining match to open the NRL?s fifth round, Souths totally dominated the opening exchanges to jump out to a 16-0 lead, before finishing off the game with their defence against a resurgent Sea Eagles.
Manly were poor early, letting in two soft tries to McInnes. The Rabbitohs rake worked his way over from dummy half in the sixth and 11th minutes. The visitors added to that lead 17 minutes later when Cody Walker muscled his way over for a scoreline of 16-0.
The running was all with Souths, as Sam Burgess, in his comeback from a neck injury, and brother George, led the way.
But with Daly Cherry-Evans sidelined, Manly?s makeshift halves combination of Dylan Walker and Apisai Koroisau then made their impact felt on the contest.
Against their old club Walker and Koroisau continually threatened the line with ball in hand as the locals began to dominate the forward battle.
Koroisau was rewarded for his hard work when he forced his way over on the hour mark as Manly bridged the score to 16-12.
The Sea Eagles enjoyed the best of field position for the final 20 minutes but couldn?t land the killer blow as Souths bounced back well from their 42-12 thrashing to Canterbury last week.
? with AAP

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/mi...y/news-story/e2a44a0c42dc59d5174697ee9e77d2ca

I'm glad they now show live games on Foxtel, the only bad thing about that is you have to listen to Gaz bias and dislike against the Bunnies.

Rabbits20

Immortal
A lot of people seem to be unhappy with the refereeing but to be honest, I thought the refereeing was way worse against the Bulldogs than in last nights game. For instance, Josh Morris' second try, where Aidan Tolman stripped the ball, was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen! I also think a major problem with referees is that they are too scared about having one sided penalty counts and as a result start blowing cheap, "even up the count" penalties so as not to attract the ire of coaches and the rugby league community as a whole. That is probably the most likely explanation for those weird offside penalties!

I think we all need to accept that in games we are going to get decisions that go against and for our teams. We can't constantly have the bunker or another referee interfering on everything and slowing the game down. I think that is still the biggest problem in rugby league - speeding the spectacle up. I really like the shot clock for scrums and drop outs and I did like the bunker at first, but as the first few rounds have gone by, I've noticed they are taking longer and longer to adjudicate on decisions.

SouthsPride let me tell you the truth here. I'm going to straight shoot it out.

We have getting bad calls against us for the first 5 rounds. It's as simple as that tbh. I could write a novel

Well it wasn't squared up in Round 3. 14-7 against us. Plus all other calls against us. Maxwell let the lock tick for 90seconds while St George time wasted too, player kicking ball with foot on touch line etc................

Round 2 they tried to give Knights 3 sympathy tries and luckily the bunker declined them all. Also we were winning penalties 8-4 and then it finishes 9 all. It was a joke. Also we were dudded a try for obstruction when it wasn't etc..............

Round 1 we dominated Rorters with calls against us and an 11-6 penalty count from that stupid Maxwell again. He has it in for us. Dudded a try for obstruction when it wasn't etc............

Round 4 were hammered and I know there were lots of bad calls but they don't bother me too much when we don't turn up to play. But still Dogs got away with 2 knock ons, plus everything else you mentioned SouthsPride. Also I'll add forward passes, stripping the ball, knock ons all missed etc............

Last night the ref was disgraceful. Moanly got away with flopping and laying on McInnes all night plus they were offside. When we did it we were penalised. Not refing both teams isn't right. Also Starling and Taufau got away with knock ons, Parcell in front of kicker and ref obstructing play. Fair dinkum. Etc.........

Southspride when opposition captain complains to check on something they get the call their way.

When GI complains for a call it still goes against us this season.

They aren't evening out yet. Hopefully against Rorters we get some calls.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Brad Fittler’s interview with George Burgess was slightly awkward

BRAD Fittler’s skills with the ball when he was on the park were always sublime, but the same can’t be said about his interviewing technique.

Speaking to players on the Brookvale Oval surface after South Sydney’s win over Manly on Thursday night, the former NSW and Australian playmaker had an awkward exchange with Rabbitoh George Burgess and his mum Julie.
When Burgess mentioned to Fittler he was on his way to visit “Julie B” in the stands, all of a sudden Freddie became obsessed.
George Burgess: Nah she doesn’t want to be on camera.
BF: She’s calling us over.
GB: She’s not.

BF: Hey Jules! See, she’s calling us.
Burgess finally relented and Fittler managed to ask Julie one question about how good it was to have all her sons (George, Sam and Thomas) on the field together before George tapped him on the shoulder, suggesting it was time to leave.
“We’re off? We’ve been brushed. I don’t want to mess with big George either. I’d be in real trouble then,” said Fittler.

THE SPRAY
SOUTH Sydney coach Michael Maguire reportedly delivered an epic spray to his side at half-time in their clash with Sea Eagles.
Maguire obviously wasn’t happy with how his team finished off the first half, despite ending the opening 40 minutes with a 16-6 lead.
Channel 9 presenter Yvonne Sampson told viewers that Souths actually covered up the cameras in their dressing room because Maguire was so fired up.
“Souths covered up the cameras in their sheds at half-time, that’s because Michael Maguire was giving one of the greatest half-time sprays,” said Sampson.
“The shouting was apparently echoing down the hallway.”
The Rabbitohs players didn’t heed their mentor’s instructions when play resumed in the second stanza, conceding an early penalty.
“If they’ve copped an almighty spray at half-time I’m not sure this is the reaction the coach would have been looking for,” said Phil Gould.
“The problem with giving a spray like that is you’ve only got one or two of those a season. If it starts to become a habit it has no effect whatsoever.”

THE MATCH
The Rabbitohs snuck home on the back of a try double to Cameron McInnes for a 16-12 win.
In an entertaining match to open the NRL’s fifth round, Souths totally dominated the opening exchanges to jump out to a 16-0 lead, before finishing off the game with their defence against a resurgent Sea Eagles.
Manly were poor early, letting in two soft tries to McInnes. The Rabbitohs rake worked his way over from dummy half in the sixth and 11th minutes. The visitors added to that lead 17 minutes later when Cody Walker muscled his way over for a scoreline of 16-0.
The running was all with Souths, as Sam Burgess, in his comeback from a neck injury, and brother George, led the way.
But with Daly Cherry-Evans sidelined, Manly’s makeshift halves combination of Dylan Walker and Apisai Koroisau then made their impact felt on the contest.
Against their old club Walker and Koroisau continually threatened the line with ball in hand as the locals began to dominate the forward battle.
Koroisau was rewarded for his hard work when he forced his way over on the hour mark as Manly bridged the score to 16-12.
The Sea Eagles enjoyed the best of field position for the final 20 minutes but couldn’t land the killer blow as Souths bounced back well from their 42-12 thrashing to Canterbury last week.
— with AAP

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/mi...y/news-story/e2a44a0c42dc59d5174697ee9e77d2ca

Thanks for sharing that Newc.

Ch 9 won't give Julie a break. It's not good enough.

Fittler is very unprofessional and crossed the line. That's just not on.

George should make a complaint about it.

Rsag85

Bench
That's it Rsag.

I love the passion. That's what I want to see:cool:

I was very proud of the boys but don't get me wrong even tho I thought some terrible calls went against us last night and we still showed that we could defended our line last night set after set. I still see some really big problems with the side and that is our halves which we be fix's in two to three weeks with Adam Reynolds returning and our bench and there impact.

I think Madge has to go with one hooker in the side two doesn't work IMO give the job to McInnes or Cook, 2rd guys like Clark and Tyrell don't really make a difference off the bench and don't continue to lay that strong platform which our starting forwards did really well yesterday night. We need to find a few big forwards in the Bears side. I thought some of those forwards did really well in the trial against the Dragons.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sam Burgess played 80 minutes after having only trained once since his release from hospital
April 1, 2016 4:15pm

Sam Burgess' 'injury felt fine' in his return match

THE legend of Sam Burgess continues to grow.

To prove Burgess is the toughest man in rugby league, The Daily Telegraph can reveal the big Englishman punched out 80 minutes for South Sydney on Thursday night having completed just one full training session after being released from St Vincent?s Hospital.

Burgess was cleared of serious neck and spinal damage last Tuesday week, but did not take part in his first serious hitout until Wednesday ? eight days later + on the eve of the trip to Brookvale Oval.

He could barely stand at the end of the Bunnies? 16-12 win, which featured him running for 132m, make 27 tackles and three tackle busts.

?I?ve been fatigued in games, but I was extremely fatigued last night [Thursday], and for some reason I couldn?t fill my lungs,?? Burgess told The Daily Telegraph.

?I don?t know if I took a whack early on my right side, but there was a lot of shallow breathing.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/5fed81f90061fc604c0f4dadbdf2b1b8

Sam is inspirational.

Bloody brilliant.

Curns13

Juniors
Brad Fittler?s interview with George Burgess was slightly awkward

BRAD Fittler?s skills with the ball when he was on the park were always sublime, but the same can?t be said about his interviewing technique.

Speaking to players on the Brookvale Oval surface after South Sydney?s win over Manly on Thursday night, the former NSW and Australian playmaker had an awkward exchange with Rabbitoh George Burgess and his mum Julie.
When Burgess mentioned to Fittler he was on his way to visit ?Julie B? in the stands, all of a sudden Freddie became obsessed.
George Burgess: Nah she doesn?t want to be on camera.
BF: She?s calling us over.
GB: She?s not.

BF: Hey Jules! See, she?s calling us.
?We?re off? We?ve been brushed. I don?t want to mess with big George either. I?d be in real trouble then,? said Fittler.

THE SPRAY
Maguire obviously wasn?t happy with how his team finished off the first half, despite ending the opening 40 minutes with a 16-6 lead.
?Souths covered up the cameras in their sheds at half-time, that?s because Michael Maguire was giving one of the greatest half-time sprays,? said Sampson.
?The shouting was apparently echoing down the hallway.?
The Rabbitohs players didn?t heed their mentor?s instructions when play resumed in the second stanza, conceding an early penalty.
?If they?ve copped an almighty spray at half-time I?m not sure this is the reaction the coach would have been looking for,? said Phil Gould.
?The problem with giving a spray like that is you?ve only got one or two of those a season. If it starts to become a habit it has no effect whatsoever.?

THE MATCH
In an entertaining match to open the NRL?s fifth round, Souths totally dominated the opening exchanges to jump out to a 16-0 lead, before finishing off the game with their defence against a resurgent Sea Eagles.
But with Daly Cherry-Evans sidelined, Manly?s makeshift halves combination of Dylan Walker and Apisai Koroisau then made their impact felt on the contest.
The Sea Eagles enjoyed the best of field position for the final 20 minutes but couldn?t land the killer blow as Souths bounced back well
from their 42-12 thrashing to Canterbury last week.
? with AAP

My mate is a camera man for channel 9. He says Fittler is an absolute moron. The director and producer of the broadcast have to spend the entire broadcast spoon feeding him. He doesnt face the camera, can barely speak English and is just a genius in general. No surprise he cant conduct a normal interview.

alien

Referee
My mate is a camera man for channel 9. He says Fittler is an absolute moron. The director and producer of the broadcast have to spend the entire broadcast spoon feeding him. He doesnt face the camera, can barely speak English and is just a genius in general. No surprise he cant conduct a normal interview.

i'll never forget the time at campbelltown stadium where he was talking about the field after a bit of rain, and with a thick gloved hand he touched the grass and reported the grass was dry. someone then told him to try it without the glove, so he did and he said "ohhhh it is wet".

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
i'll never forget the time at campbelltown stadium where he was talking about the field after a bit of ran and with a thick gloved hand he touched the grass and reported the grass was dry. someone then told him to try it without the glove, so he did and he said "ohhhh it is wet".

Don't go there..........

I remember even though I don't want too.

Just no:crazy:

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
drop tyrrell put carter on the bench send superman back to the bears he brings nothing to our team just like oldfield + clark it seems everyone is blind!!!!!!!!!!!!!hey richo go give dane nielsen a kick up the bunnybum he is a waste of space wake up souths your fielding too many duds in 1st grade.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
tom and george need a ball throwing machine daily they have feet as hands and that will end up biting souths one day in a semi or gf