What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 Vs Eels

Top of the table clash.
We gave the Eels their first loss at Bankwest last year, it will be satisfying to end their unbeaten run this week.
Still, it will be a big test.
It seems to be some chatter Luai has done an MCL. Edwards might be back.

Tik Tok will be back. I hope he has a point to prove.

WestyLife

First Grade
Hi. The discussion around The roster has been interesting even the media are getting on it since Luai and Burton are fighting for the spot Ennis said last night he thinks Burton is the better choice and he's pretty switched on.
Here's my take:

1. Crichton
2. Naden
3. Luai
4. May (Whare until May is available)
5. To'o
6. Burton
7. Cleary
8. Tamou
9. Api
10. Fish
11. Kikau
12. Capewell
13. Yeo
14. Mansour
15. Burns
16/17. Leota, Hetherington, Lenui, Tetevano.

Mansour looks weird there but I'd use him running off the halves/forwards for 15 minutes a game helping create momentum with the new faster style of game.

I know the backline is a bit weird as well but I figure it gives the team a bit more attack (keep Whare until May is available with the rest the same). Luai outside Kikua could be really good and he has the pass/kick skills that'd be good for Naden. May would also bring To'o into the game well.

Utility value comes from having May/Luai with Burns and Capewell.

Hi. The discussion around The roster has been interesting even the media are getting on it since Luai and Burton are fighting for the spot Ennis said last night he thinks Burton is the better choice and he's pretty switched on.
Here's my take:

1. Crichton
2. Naden
3. Luai
4. May (Whare until May is available)
5. To'o
6. Burton
7. Cleary
8. Tamou
9. Api
10. Fish
11. Kikau
12. Capewell
13. Yeo
14. Mansour
15. Burns
16/17. Leota, Hetherington, Lenui, Tetevano.

Mansour looks weird there but I'd use him running off the halves/forwards for 15 minutes a game helping create momentum with the new faster style of game.

I know the backline is a bit weird as well but I figure it gives the team a bit more attack (keep Whare until May is available with the rest the same). Luai outside Kikua could be really good and he has the pass/kick skills that'd be good for Naden. May would also bring To'o into the game well.

Utility value comes from having May/Luai with Burns and Capewell.

That’s a big risk with Luai & May in the centres. When did May last play the position? And I don’t think Luai is up to it defensively.

WestyLife

First Grade
That’s a big risk with Luai & May in the centres. When did May last play the position? And I don’t think Luai is up to it defensively.

I'm not sure on May. I figure Luai can't be worse than Naden has been. Honestly just trying to think how you solve the issue that Whare, Mansour, Edwards, Aekins present with lack of points. There might be better solutions to the issue.

I'm not sure on May. I figure Luai can't be worse than Naden has been. Honestly just trying to think how you solve the issue that Whare, Mansour, Edwards, Aekins present with lack of points. There might be better solutions to the issue.

To me Luai is a half or a utility at present. If he was going to change positions I think he’d need some game time in reserves first. I know he played centre against the knights last year, but the knights had given up in that game.

May I’m not sure. His best spot is probably lock or utility. But again if he was going to play centre I’d want to see how he goes in reserves.

WestyLife

First Grade
To me Luai is a half or a utility at present. If he was going to change positions I think he’d need some game time in reserves first. I know he played centre against the knights last year, but the knights had given up in that game.

May I’m not sure. His best spot is probably lock or utility. But again if he was going to play centre I’d want to see how he goes in reserves.

Yeah not sure how the backline is fixed then. I figured a risk/reward approach could work but Ivan wouldn't do it anyway.

WestyLife

First Grade
Seems like panic when it isn't called for. We will beat Parra by stopping them scoring, not by outscoring them. Manly showed the way in the second half.

You're probably right. The backline does seem to be a concern though.

Can be more conservative and have.

1. Edwards
2. Naden
3. Crichton
4. Whare
5. To,o
14. Mansour

Panfa

Juniors
I'd go this way 1.Edwards 2.Naden 3.Whare 4.Chrichton 5.T'oo 6.Burton 7.Cleary 13.Yeo 12.Kikau 11.Capewell 10.Tamou 9.Koroisau 8.Fisher Harris 14.Tetevano 15.Leota 16.Martin 17.Mansour

Panfa

Juniors
mansour still makes yards but bad in the air bad hands and slowing up maybe him coming off the bench playing a back row type forward when the opposition get tired might be his go.

Panfa

Juniors
Naden is faster taller and better under the high ball than Josh. We need speed in the backline and this way both can be still in the 17.

WestyLife

First Grade
mansour still makes yards but bad in the air bad hands and slowing up maybe him coming off the bench playing a back row type forward when the opposition get tired might be his go.

The strength and conditioning team could also help make him explosive for shorter stints.

maple_69

Bench
I’ve thought Josh has looked closer to his usual self this year. He outleaped one of the Warriors wingers on Friday for the first time in my memory. I reckon Whare is the one offering less currently and in a position that should be feeding our best back good ball.

My suggestions are to swap Crichton to the right to help create some opportunities over there, while Whare might have more impact with the space Kikau creates.

Then I think we just need to stack the side with impact forwards. Leniu, Hetherington, Burns and maybe Martin are guys who can actually break up defences rather than simply move them backward effectively.

1. Edwards 2. Mansour 3. Whare 4. Crichton 5. To’o 6. Burton 7. Cleary 8. Tamou 9. Koroisau 10. Leota 11. Kikau 12. Yeo 13. JFH 14. Luai 15. Burns 16. Hetherington 17. Leniu

I’ve thought Josh has looked closer to his usual self this year. He outleaped one of the Warriors wingers on Friday for the first time in my memory. I reckon Whare is the one offering less currently and in a position that should be feeding our best back good ball.

My suggestions are to swap Crichton to the right to help create some opportunities over there, while Whare might have more impact with the space Kikau creates.

Then I think we just need to stack the side with impact forwards. Leniu, Hetherington, Burns and maybe Martin are guys who can actually break up defences rather than simply move them backward effectively.

1. Edwards 2. Mansour 3. Whare 4. Crichton 5. To’o 6. Burton 7. Cleary 8. Tamou 9. Koroisau 10. Leota 11. Kikau 12. Yeo 13. JFH 14. Luai 15. Burns 16. Hetherington 17. Leniu

I don’t see how we can afford to leave Naden out. He’s our best try scoring back, and for a team whose backs struggle to score he seems essential.

SWIFT

Juniors
I don’t see how we can afford to leave Naden out. He’s our best try scoring back, and for a team whose backs struggle to score he seems essential.
Agree.
Having naden and crighton in the backline gives us so many more attacking options.
Opens up both sides .
I don’t a mind whare. but he is offering nothing in attack. And his defence can be hit and miss.

franklin2323

Immortal
Agree.
Having naden and crighton in the backline gives us so many more attacking options.
Opens up both sides .
I don’t a mind whare. but he is offering nothing in attack. And his defence can be hit and miss.

That would be my change. Nathan and Capewell are better defenders to help Naden.

age.s

First Grade
They've thrown in a rubbish effort every few weeks as long as they've been under Arthur. They're due one soon surely.

That said I never feel good coming up against a team with so many ex Panthers. Still scarred from the Sharks of the last decade.

chrisD

Coach
Agree.
Opens up both sides .
Whare is as good a defensive centre as there is in rugby league.