What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 vs. Sydney Roosters Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos vs. Sydney Roosters
Suncorp Stadium, Friday 8 April 2022
Kick Off: 7:55pm

BRI2022TEAM.png

1. Tesi Niu 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Billy Walters 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Keenan Palasia 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Kobe Hetherington

Interchange: 14. Ryan James 15. Corey Jensen 16. TC Robati 17. Cory Paix

Reserves: 18. Tyson Gamble 19. Rhys Kennedy 20. Brenko Lee 21. Delouise Hoeter 22. Jordan Pereira 23. Ezra Mam 24. Logan Bayliss-Brow

SYD2022TEAM.png

1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Paul Momirovski 4. Joseph Manu 5. Kevin Naiqama 6. Sam Walker 7. Luke Keary 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Connor Watson 10. Siosiua Taukeiaho 11. Nat Butcher 12. Sitili Tupouniua 13. Victor Radley

Interchange:
14. Drew Hutchison 15. Daniel Suluka-Fifita 16. Angus Crichton 17. Lindsay Collins

Reserves: 18. Naufahu Whyte 19. Renouf Atoni 20. Lachlan Lam 21. Sam Verrills 22. Adam Keighran 23. Joseph Suaalii 24. Fletcher Baker​

Big Pete

Referee
The Broncos welcome back Jordan Riki and Kurt Capewell ahead of Fridays big clash against the Roosters. The Broncos will have their work cut out for them, but their return should lift the team. Both Flegler (suspension) and Carrigan (MCL - 6 weeks) are out but it does open the door for Hetherington at 13. I think he'll be a welcome addition there and will help give the Broncos a better balance in the pack. If he can help promote the football it may create more opportunities for his playmakers.

Cory Paix comes onto the bench and is set to play his first game of the season. Paix was set to be the #9 before he came down with COVID. He's since been playing for the struggling Magpies and has been one of their better players. I think he'll be a welcome addition and Turpin will have to lift his game to keep Cory out of 9.

Kevie has provided his backline with a reprieve. I thought there maybe a chance that Cobbo would make way for Pereira but Kev has stuck solid with the prospect. Hopefully for their sake the worm will turn, Cobbo is clearly a good prospect but he's really struggled thus far.

Judging from the reserves I can see the Roosters having a number of late changes with Verrills, Suaalii and Baker all possible chances of coming in. It's going to be tough but the Broncos are capable of better and as long as they show some resolve they could make this really challenging for the Roosters. The past two contests are a testament to that, especially the last where the Roosters were extremely lucky to walk away with the win.

DeeJ

Bench
I think it would be a good idea for Cobbo to have a few weeks in QLD cup. It is not uncommon for players his age to go back and forth while they are developing. He has shown he is quite error prone and makes poor decisions e.g. always taking on his opposite winger down the sideline. Even in his best game he was making regular mistakes.

Big Pete

Referee
Sydney Roosters 24 def. Brisbane Broncos 20 (Oates 3, Staggs try; Reynolds 2/4 goals)

2-3

A heart-breaking loss for the Broncos. They led 10-0 at half-time and had a chance to extend their lead until Manu took an intercept which kick-started his man of the match performance. Manu terrorised the Broncos left edge and ended up scoring two tries which helped put the Roosters in the lead.

The Broncos showed tremendous resolve to hit back and give themselves a chance late but in the end they ran out of time.

The much maligned Kotoni Staggs had by far his best game of the season with a number of strong carries which ultimately saw him crash over. The sleeker forward composition appeared to generate more momentum through the middle and Kevie's bench rotation seemingly gave Turpin a new lease on life.

Unfortunately they just didn't have the class to get the win.

Valheru

Coach
Sydney Roosters 24 def. Brisbane Broncos 20 (Oates 3, Staggs try; Reynolds 2/4 goals)

2-3

A heart-breaking loss for the Broncos. They led 10-0 at half-time and had a chance to extend their lead until Manu took an intercept which kick-started his man of the match performance. Manu terrorised the Broncos left edge and ended up scoring two tries which helped put the Roosters in the lead.

The Broncos showed tremendous resolve to hit back and give themselves a chance late but in the end they ran out of time.

The much maligned Kotoni Staggs had by far his best game of the season with a number of strong carries which ultimately saw him crash over. The sleeker forward composition appeared to generate more momentum through the middle and Kevie's bench rotation seemingly gave Turpin a new lease on life.

Unfortunately they just didn't have the class to get the win.

I thought you guys were sensational tonight. More performances like that and they make the 8.

I don't think the chooks did much wrong the first half but still found ourselves 10-0 down. Joey and walker just had enough class in the end to turn things around.

Chin up for the broncos.

Latest posts