What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 - Bulldogs vs Rabbitohs: Friday 7th April 4:05pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Finally, time to dump that Storm game and move on. Certainly, got to take our learnings from it but other than that, I think I speak for a lot of us when I say I want to forget about it. this week is an exciting one as we move into Round 6 and we look forward to taking on one of our oldest and most fierce rivals in the Bulldogs. I think fierce is the perfect way to describe this rivalry. While it might not have the bitter hatred of say Rabbitohs-Roosters, no doubt there is some genuine dislike between our two clubs. The rivalry stretches back almost 100 years now and there is a lot of water that has gone under the bridge. Huge games, Finals games, Grand Finals, there's been all sorts of moments over the years.

But the rivalry has really been taken to the next level since 2012 when this traditional Good Friday match was established. Since then, it's always been one to circle on the Calander and one you always look forward to. This week is no different as we come into another Good Friday.

The Dogs have been looking a bit down but they got a great win last night so will be coming into this one confident and on a high. That can be dangerous. In years gone by, they've been so good at dragging you down to their level and making it a real dogfight. This year is a bit different though because while that same identity is there, they are a much better side that can really throw a lot at you now, especially in attack where they like to shift the ball. This is why we simply cannot afford to take them lightly or they'll pull our pants down. They're building, arguably better than us at the moment and they'll see this game as a massive opportunity to carry that on. Obviously, Burton is their biggest weapon and my biggest worry, with Addo-Carr being a close second. But that's not to say they don't have quality in a number of spots. You've got Mahoney there now that you can't sleep on and there's a lot of young outside backs that pose a massive threat like Kiraz. Their forward pack is solid so it will be a tough task up the middle, but I think it's that battle which will determine the outcome.

For us, this week is all about getting ourselves back on track. Some recent, disappointing results have really put us under pressure and made the next two games absolute MUST wins. That starts this week. So, there's no if's or but's, we simply have to win this one. I'm sure the boys will know this and will be disappointed in their recent efforts, they'll be doing everything they can to turn it around. We're so much better than what our recent form suggests, and we need to start showing that so I'm expecting a fired-up performance from us on Good Friday. To be honest, I'll be concerned if the boys aren't fired up as we desperately need to bounce back. it all starts with our energy and desire, something we haven't been lacking at all until last week so this time, we must go out there and set the tone early. Defence needs to be better across the 80 but it's our attack that really needs to click this week. I'm looking for a big game from Latrell. This is another game we shouldn't really be losing but we've had two games like that now and faltered. This week needs to be different.

So, it's going to be one hell of a day out there on Friday to kick off the Easter weekend and hopefully kick off our resurgence. Always a big clash so I'm expecting a big performance and a big crowd. let's go out there and make sure it is a very good Friday lads!!

callmack1

Staff member
Jacob Host Media Round Six: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/03/jacob-host-media-round-six/

Latrell Mitchell Media Round Six: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/03/latrell-mitchell-media-round-six/

'Lonely at the top' - Latrell takes criticism 'on the chin' amid Souths' struggles: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/2fb45e40715e71fa02cea89930e3b67d

Good to hear Trell actually come out and somewhat admit he does need to get more involved. He knows. Time to lay off him and back him now, really hoping for a big game on Friday!

Keaon Koloamatangi Media Round Six: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/03/keaon-koloamatangi-media-round-six/

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 6 against the Bulldogs,

1. Mitchell
2. Karapani
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Suluka-Fifita
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Host
13. Murray (C)

14. Taaffe
15. Chee Kam
16. Moale
17. Sele

Most of the side speaks for itself but there's just a few points I want to raise,

I think Karapni replaces AJ. He looks the most likely of any of them and he deserves his shot. I'd rather it be now than later. Basically, I'd be giving that wing spot to whoever can best catch a bomb, given we're lining up against Burton, and I think that could be Karapani.

The only other real point of conjecture is the starting front row. There are some calls for JD to start Sele now and have Tom go to the bench, but I don't think that will happen just yet, they'll hold off until troops return.

Gonna be a very interesting team list Tuesday tomorrow!

Thumper

Juniors

1. Mitchell
2. Karapani
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Suluka-Fifita
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Host
13. Murray (C)

14. Taaffe
15. Chee Kam
16. Moale
17. Sele

Most of the side speaks for itself but there's just a few points I want to raise,

I think Karapni replaces AJ. He looks the most likely of any of them and he deserves his shot. I'd rather it be now than later. Basically, I'd be giving that wing spot to whoever can best catch a bomb, given we're lining up against Burton, and I think that could be Karapani.

The only other real point of conjecture is the starting front row. There are some calls for JD to start Sele now and have Tom go to the bench, but I don't think that will happen just yet, they'll hold off until troops return.

Thomson cannot be on the right wing marking Foxx. They will have an absolute field day against him. His defensive reads are poor and he turns like the Queen Mary. The kick over the top they used vs the Cowboys will badly expose him and Trell as Trell defends very deep.

handyman2190

Bench
Thomson cannot be on the right wing marking Foxx. They will have an absolute field day against him. His defensive reads are poor and he turns like the Queen Mary. The kick over the top they used vs the Cowboys will badly expose him and Trell as Trell defends very deep.
Thompson is not a first grader, he makes good meters in traffic but is cumbersom and slow,id even put carr in on the wing, our backline is pedestrian, i dont hold much hope against the dogs unless we change the attitude and start kicking into the ingoal area for repeat sets,we are not putting pressure on the oposition and our retrieval of kicks in our ingoal is atrocious, we got problems.

Thumper

Juniors
Thompson is not a first grader, he makes good meters in traffic but is cumbersom and slow,id even put carr in on the wing, our backline is pedestrian, i dont hold much hope against the dogs unless we change the attitude and start kicking into the ingoal area for repeat sets,we are not putting pressure on the oposition and our retrieval of kicks in our ingoal is atrocious, we got problems.
We gotta hold the ball for 6 tackles first before worrying about kicking the bloody thing.

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round six against Bulldogs this Good Friday: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-round-six-against-bulldogs-this-good-friday/

Team list Tuesday!!!!

Man, oh man, what an interesting one! Jumped out of my seat when I saw the HUGE inclusion we have this week.... Junior is back!!!!!! How good?!! Big Tatola returns much earlier than expected, I was shocked when I saw him on the team list. Stoked though, that is a huge in for a huge game.

Other than that, the rest of the line up is pretty interesting as well. Taane takes AJ's spot on the wing. That's a little unexpected, I thought Karapani would debut but maybe JD is just shielding Josiah from the limelight, and he will in fact still come in for a late change. He's done it before, so we'll see.

The rest of the starting side remains the same, but the bench does interest me a little. Three front rowers on it with DSF, Moale and Sele all there. Jed is the only second rower option which I find interesting. Also, why pick Jed ahead of Chee Kam? Cheeks deserves a spot over Cartwright in my opinion. Maybe the make up of the bench will change too.

Still, a very strong team!! Hope our form reflects it.

callmack1

Staff member
Karapani being named in NSW Cup rules him out I think. When they're originally named there, players are rarely pulled from NSW Cup for a debut unless there's an injury. I don't think it'll be happening unfortunately.

JD obviously thinks it'll be too big of an ask to throw a rookie into a debut against Burton's bombs in a pressure game on a big Good Friday stage. Probably a fair call now that you really think about it. I trust his judgement.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well there is not much we can do we have to stick with Thompson we don’t have anyone else to put in there. Thompson was good last week one of our best out there made lots of tough carries out of trouble and solid post contact metres. I don’t feel he’s been the reason why we have lost 3 of our first 5 games.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I’m still not so sure that Junior will play.

Milne over Karipani no surprise really I think we all knew that’s the way JD would go.

I would have played Chee Kam over Jed.

All in all we need a massive turn around in lost of areas on Friday and we have to win.

11k last Friday Night was disgraceful, hopefully all our members and fans get out there this Friday and it’s a daytime game. Rorters got 21k on a Thursday Night if we dont get at least 20k members and fans out there on Friday it’s embarassing. Get off the couch and get out there and support the boys in the best way possible.

Thumper

Juniors
Well there is not much we can do we have to stick with Thompson we don’t have anyone else to put in there. Thompson was good last week one of our best out there made lots of tough carries out of trouble and solid post contact metres. I don’t feel he’s been the reason why we have lost 3 of our first 5 games.
He’s Not the reason at all. But he showed last week he’s not up to it.
I’d rathr play kids than him

callmack1

Staff member
'I'll try to run over him' - Keaon keen for clash against childhood hero Reynolds: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/04/05...-keen-for-clash-with-childhood-hero-reynolds/

Why milestone man Latrell Mitchell loves Talkin' Dirty: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...chell-loves-talkin-dirty-20230403-p5cxnp.html

Marathon Murray - Souths skipper backing himself to keep playing 80: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ma...mself-to-keep-playing-80-20230404-p5cy1c.html

Hopefully he doesn't have to this week.

Steenson123

Juniors
cHEE-kAM

1. Mitchell
2. Karapani
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Suluka-Fifita
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Host
13. Murray (C)

14. Taaffe
15. Chee Kam
16. Moale
17. Sele

Chee-Kam is hopeless. Like Cartwright they have no edge e.g, offloading, stepping, etc and are not even decent bench players. Lovett conversely would at least provide youthful enthusiasm and he runs straight and hard.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Cody has forced 3 line drop outs.

Lachy has forced 1 line drop out in 5 games.

This is not enough we need Lachy to step up and get more repeat sets.

In fact we need the whole spine to lift.

Latest posts