What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6: Newtown Vs Dragons >>Chook Raper Cup<<

Mr BuLLdOgS

Juniors
Newtown Vs Dragons

Game Thread
This game is being played for the inaugural Chook Raper Cup!

Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles). Any other posts will result in loss of points.

**Referee Blows Game On!**

Full Time: Wednesday 16th July, 2003. 9:00PM AEST

Referee: Penelope Pittstop

Dragon Fanatic

Juniors
Dragons Team
1. Dragon Fanatic (C)
2.Leaguenut
3.Saint Firman
4.The Knight Ryder
5.Benny

6.Oh when the saints
7.Rooster_Man

Dragon Fanatic

Juniors
My First Rugby League Experience
Dragon Fanatic (C)
St George Illawarra Dragons

The first game of Rugby League I can remember is a game between Souths and St George. It was Kogarah Oval sometime in the early 90&#8217;s I reckon about &#8217;93 but I could be wrong. My dad was a true Red and Green supporter, he grew up a Mascotian, went to school in Mascot, played footy for Mascot and reps for Souths and I think he wanted me to join his team the Bunnies. The reason we went to the game at Kogarah Oval is that we lived in the St George district Hurstville Grove in fact.

Any way we got to the ground I remember sitting on my dads shoulders on the hill not to far from the St George army. My dad was annoyed we had seats so close to the Dragons army as he wanted me to experience the bunny spirit.

The game was about two minutes old and St George were on the attack we were hammering the Souths defensive line but we couldn&#8217;t seem to break it. Then all of a sudden I started cheering and at that moment Ricky Walford finally get over in the corner. My dad took me off his shoulders and just looked at me. And said don&#8217;t cheer for them they are the wrong team. But no matter how hard he tried I just kept cheering for the mighty Saints.

The game was close and a Souths bloke had just made a break down the left hand side of the field, then I remember Walford streaking past him and absolutely smashing him into the turf, he got hit so hard that he just stayed there for about 10 minutes trying to get up but never making it.

Sure enough in the space of about 75 minutes my hero was Ricky Walford and my ambition was to be a first grade Rugby League player for the St George Dragons. What happened in those last five minutes was to be one of the greatest moments of my life.

After all this my dad had taken me down to the fence, as there was a fight between a Souths bloke and a St George bloke because the Souths bloke dropped a pie on his head. Anyway, I am pretty sure the game was all tied up at that time and Souths had just made a mistake close to the Dragons line. Scrum was about 10 meters out from the line and Saints had the ball. It took about 4 tackles to make it to the 50-metre line and time was running out. The dummy half put the ball through the hands and it got to Walford he stepped inside the winger and I remember my dad yelled out &#8220;OH SH*T&#8221;. Ricky was away under the posts to give the Dragons a good win.
But that was not all that happened. I was holding a mini football and in the process of my dad taking me off his shoulders I dropped over the fence. My dad at this point had engaged in a full conversation with a fellow bunny supporter about something. I did not notice that the dragons were doing a lap of honour and as I tried hopelessly to get over the fence a man in a big Red V came lifted me over the fence and gave me my ball. I grabbed my ball and in the process of that he lifted me up on his shoulders. He went around back to the team and continued. As I looked down to see whom it was I was hitching a ride on, it was none other than Ricky Walford.

The Debutant
The Knight Ryder
St George Illawarra

The coach stands alone in the cold dressing room, and he watched his players prepare. His eyes come alight in the dark and the gloom, as the youngest bloke is the lair. And though he&#8217;s the newest in all of the team and this is his first major task. He has talent galore or so it would seem, but the coach knows how much he should ask. As well as he knows the lads native skill will help but it won&#8217;t be enough. If the heat of the battle his confidence kills, if the task proves a little too tough. For many a man would be gone with flair to attack with a competent feel, but many a man when exposed to the glare, will falter or stumble or yield.

He silently beckons the young man away to a quieter part of the shed. Again they go over the part he will play and the youngster hears every word said. And so many times the same words are said when a youngster&#8217;s to make his debut, relax, take your time, the games there to enjoy, your talent will see you come through.

And the coach settles back to see how he goes, to see how he handles the heat, for the lad is all class from his head to his toes and his poise is an absolute treat. He does things in a game you see once in a while, he does them with constant ease. He kicks with both feet and steps with a style for the toughest critics he must meet. Oh he&#8217;ll be a champion no doubt of that, the crowd he will hold in his hands. Only really bad luck or a chequebook so fat will stop them chanting his name in the stands.

Hass

Juniors
Here's the Bluebag's starting five...

Newtown Bluebags*

Hass (c)
Roopy
Willow
Legend
Gorilla

* This team is subject to change.

Cheers.

Anonymous

Juniors
*Willow for the Bluebags*

Provan - the last of his line and the 1965 Grand Final

It was September 18th, 1965 and for the first time, a Rugby League Grand Final went without the traditional victory lap. At fulltime, St George Dragons and South Sydney Rabbitohs players were swamped by the huge Sydney Cricket Ground crowd. Official figures state that 78,056 spectators paid to see the Grand Final but anecdotal evidence suggests that the real crowd figure was closer 90,000.

In 1965, the SCG could comfortably accommodate 60,000. With the ground capacity already bursting at the seams, the SCG staff closed the gates at 1:00pm thus posting the figure of just over 78,000. But the surrounding streets and parklands were packed with people and traffic - an estimated 40,000 people were still trying to get into a ground! Hundreds chose to break in by storming the Member's gates. Scores more bought tickets to the Motor Show which was being held next door in the RAS Showground. From here they took up vantage points on the Showground Pavilions with good views of the SCG pitch. Thousands more simply entered the SCG and proceeded to climb the Grand Stands, perching themselves on the roofs.

Police were unable to stop this reckless display of people power and after consultation, allowed thousands to sit on the ground itself, covering the outer ring of the oval. Police became even more concerned when the army band played 'God Save The Queen' and thousands stood up on the Grand Stands roofs - it was a recipe for disaster.

But as luck would have it, the day went by without major tragedy. At 3:00pm, St George captain coach Norm Provan, the last player from the 1956 premiership-winning side, led his Dragons&#8217; team onto the field.

NORM PROVAN'S LAST MATCH
In one of the all time great Grand Finals, an aging St George team (average age 27) defeated a much younger South Sydney outfit (average age 22) by 12-8. Souths had already beaten Saints twice in 1965 and the huge crowd showed up expecting to see an end to the Dragons&#8217; decade of dominance.

South Sydney fullback, Kevin Longbottom opened the scoring with a 55 yard penalty goal in the 20th minute - the kick receiving applause from St George fullback Graeme Langlands. St George replied with a Billy Smith try. Langlands and Longbottom exchanged penalty goals with both players booting the ball more than 50 yards.

It was a tough encounter and was highlighted by the forward charges from Norm Provan, John Raper and Kevin Ryan. The brutality of the match was evident as both teams served up varying degrees of foul play. The scrums in particular were no place for the faint hearted and St George forward, Kevin Ryan was being unsettled by the Souths' front row. In one scrum, after seeing Rabbitohs&#8217; hooker Fred Anderson reaching into the tunnel, Ryan stood on Anderson, raked him back and proceeded to literally walk all over him. The Dragons pack then surged forward forcing Anderson along the ground through the St George second row and out the back of the scrum. The 'key-hauled' Anderson sat dazed and bleeding on the ground with the ball still in hand.

At half time, Saints held a 5-4 lead.

The second half began with more penalty goals to Langlands and Longbottom. With 13 minutes to go, Johnny King scored and added to his amazing record of scoring tries in six successive Grand Finals. Souths' Eric Simms kicked a penalty goal giving them some hope but Saints held their line and at fulltime the score was 12-8. St George had won their tenth consecutive Grand Final. At the sounding of the fulltime siren, the SCG was invaded by thousands of fans and the ground became a sea of people &#8211; any chance of a victory lap was soon overwhelmed.

Norm Provan in his last match was surrounded by strangers and well-wishers. As always, he spoke as a true gentleman and thanked one and all. He was the last of the players who played in the 1956 Grand Final winning team and with his retirement came the final changing of the guard.

St George 12 (Smith, King tries. Langlands 3 goals) defeated
South Sydney 8 (Longbottom 3, Simms goals)

NORM PROVAN
ST GEORGE 1950-1965
1st Grade games 256
63 tries, 1 goal (191pts) Grand Final wins: 10
Tests: 14 (7 tries)
Captain-coach 1962-65
Coach 1968

*735 words including title*

LeagueNut

First Grade
LeagueNut - St George Illawarra Dragons

Being there is everything
............................................................................................................

Warriors jersey - check. Season ticket - check. Warriors flag - check. Bizarre ‘jester’ hat with silver bells - check.

There are two things in this world guaranteed to make me wake up in the morning with a smile on my face - and one of them is knowing that it’s game day at Ericsson Stadium. (The other thing - take a guess!)

Some players are well-known for their little superstitions or game-day routines to help them prepare and focus on the job at hand. And I think that most of us fans would have the same mindset when it comes to preparing for a day (or night) at the footy. You can keep your pay-TV thanks … nothing is going to keep me from being there in the flesh.

After jumping out of the car and arranging my various pieces of supporters apparatus, the trek begins. The walk up Beazley Avenue always seems to get my heart racing - and not because of my questionable fitness levels! It’s the little things that I notice - like the guy standing on the footpath selling candy floss. Every week he’s there with his little trailer but I have never seen anyone buy the stuff. Or the giant Warriors symbol looking down from Warriors HQ at the end of the street. Or the guy standing outside the gates selling options for first try-scorer. Every week it’s the same - all unmistakeable signs of game day at Ericsson Stadium.

The first thing I like to do when inside the ground is get a look at the field. Someone once told me that a view of water is calming for the soul, because it reinforces the fact that you will never go thirsty. But there’s something about that first glimpse of the playing surface that makes me smile - as if I needed it, another reminder of game day at Ericsson Stadium.

Walking underneath the Eastern Stand is always a bit of a mission. There are various queues snaking around in different directions - some for food, others for drink, sometimes the toilets are backing up as well. So the next part of my routine is to practice my side-stepping through the crowd on the old Mt Smart athletics track under the Eastern Stand - and when I can, sneak a peek through the stands for another glimpse of the hallowed turf. It’s normally about now that I look at my fellow supporters and say “There’s nowhere else I’d rather be”.

Then around to the Southern Stand - by far the noisiest bunch of them all! The view as I emerge from the depths of the Eastern Stand is amazing - the field, the big screen, even the goalposts - and for just a few seconds, it feels like I am the only one here. Then I realise that I’ve been smiling like an idiot for about the last five minutes, and it’s time to find my seat.

Ahh, the old faithful seat. It’s been with me now for many a season, and surprisingly enough it’s still in one piece. The same loyal crowd around me too - the old buggers behind me, the school teacher who swears an awful lot in front of me - and it’s time to settle in for an incredible ride for the next couple of hours.

Sure, the TV coverage might give you a closer look at the action and replays of the crucial bits - but absolutely nothing will ever beat being at the ground. The atmosphere of around 15,000 Warriors fans baying for opposition (and referee!) blood is a very unique experience - and I can think of some much worse things to be addicted to!

Anyway, I have to go. Kick-off in two minutes. But finally, the one other thing guaranteed to make me wake up in the morning with a smile on my face? The morning after a Warriors victory of course!
............................................................................................................

658 words. C'MON DRAGONS!

G

gorilla

“Get out of the way – Gorilla coming through !” :twisted:
Bags player ;-)

Giving it your all – beyond the call
When my brother-in-law came to the ‘big smoke’ from the tough central west plains to play first grade, he was 18 years old - a long-striding, free ranging second rower. He had long wild hair and a good habit of running to the gap and launching into the clear. Legs pumping and the ball held out in front, he wouldn’t step very often but he had pace and guile.

He was prepared to do the hard work. He had a responsible country up-bringing and, as the oldest boy in a big family, he expected responsibility. He joined up with a family style club with a lot of young players and a bright future.

He worked hard and matured as a footballer and a man. He improved and helped others improve. He made a name for himself amongst other forwards who have a code of honour amongst themselves that recognises the strong and the honest, that accepts players when they prove that they have the heart and mental toughness that’s needed to take the ball into the teeth of the opposition.

He never made it to top honours - State of Origin or Tests, although he was mentioned by objective observers as well as his club. He played for Country teams, which made him and his family proud, but there was always a couple of proven, experienced forwards ahead of him.

As the years went by, he became known as a solid and reliable club man. Not often injured, always there to lead the way. Every now and then, he’d have his troubles – a period of bad hands or having to play close to the ruck and getting smashed. Toward the end of his time at the club, as a new hard and strong team began to form, the current coach gave him a different role. No longer the hard running second rower, he was brought into the ruck closer, now for good, as prop.

He banged heads and fought with the best of the props of the time, again earning their respect for his tough no-nonsense play. The coach only saw his future as a defensive player and the game plan called on my brother-in-law to put one cue in the rack and take down another. He played close to the ruck, tackle after tackle. It’s a wearing role, one that grinds down the body, especially when it’s played without respite from the coach and by a player who gives it everything.

He didn’t have time for yardage anymore, he was busy carrying his load and, at times, other player’s defence as well. He began to have trouble with his shoulders and his arms – all that hitting and collision, somethings have to give no matter how strong your body has become. After his ninth season, the coach didn’t have room for him.

We saw him play his last match before the home crowd – he’d known no other in Sydney. He left the field with his arms and head held high.

He gave his word to join another club, he had a young family and wasn’t a spent force. At the same time the previous coach got the bullet and a young, hard man with a good brain took over. This coach asked him back, but he kept his word. The old team won the competition that next year and he watched it from the stands, saw the players he’d helped and lost with, played and won with, finish the season as the best in the world.

Over the next three years, he played one more season with that second club, and two years with another. His shoulders got worse and his arms were sore – he had to give it away. I watched one of his last games as the club he was with got caned by my team.

What really stands out was his honesty and commitment, they way he went beyond the call of duty and gave for his club, his team and the players with whom he would run out onto the field. He did what he was asked and told to do, even if it cost him his best, and he kept his word which is as much as we have.

I was always proud of my brother-in-law, as his family was, his club and his fans. I know, in his humble way, that he’s also proud of all he did too.

745 words between the ****
Gorilla

roopy

Referee
Roopy for Bluebags

707 words

Spreading the Burden of Representative Duties

The Brisbane Broncos always have and always will contribute far more than their fair share of representative players. In many ways it is an advantage to a club to supply rep players, but there are also disadvantages as well. It is an advantage for players to gain experience playing in big games and at a higher standard, while it can be a huge disadvantage in that players will not be available for some games, and will be jaded or injured for other games. On balance, I think it is more a disadvantage.
The New Zealand Warriors are in the same boat when it comes to international games involving the Kiwis.
In recent years the Newcastle Knights have had large numbers in the New South Wales and Australian sides, as well as supplying the largest number of the players for the Country side.
The fact that some sides supply many rep players, while other sides supply very few, means that sides are being disadvantaged. Brisbane had little chance of winning last weekend, and Newcastle will struggle to field their best side next week in a game that could see them tumble out of the top eight and make it very hard for them to make the finals.
A way to share the representative burden more evenly across the competition would be to suspend the comp for three consecutive weekends during the season and make this the time to hold a wide range of representative games that potentially involve players from every club and area of the game.
One contest that should be held on the same weekends as the State of Origin series is a regular test series between New Zealand and a Pacific Islands Barbarians side. This contest would involve Kiwi and Islander players from many clubs and would give New Zealand a high profile series which could even match SOO in intensity.
Other international games could also be held such as a Lebanon v Russia game involving players of Lebanese decent in the NRL, an Italy v Greece match using some imported and some locally based players, an Aboriginal team verses a Maori team or a Country verses City game using players not involved in the SOO series.
These three weeks during the season could become a welcome break for clubs to regroup and prepare themselves for the business end of the season, while fans of Rugby League would still be able to get their ‘fix’ of Rugby League excitement.
On the international level, this three week break would be the ideal time for emerging teams such as America and Russia to make tours of Australia to gain experience playing a good standard of opposition. Games could be arranged between the touring sides and club sides that need to keep some players match fit, whilst having the opportunity to rest and recuperate players with minor injuries.
If the three week break were co-ordinated with the ESL it would be possible to fly players around the world during this break without subjecting them to the undue strain of having to play jetlagged, because the break would be long enough for them to be able to adjust to new time zones etc. This could mean that the New Zealand and Islander sides could use British based players as well.
The English League could use this break to play their ‘War of the Roses’ series and put on Test matches between Scotland, Ireland and Wales, or maybe it would be an ideal time to hold the ‘Victory Cup’ series in Russia involving up to eight different Emerging Nations, with a decent amount of NRL and ESL talent thrown in to make the series interesting.
I think this would prevent the situation that has now developed where we have players like Johns having to play at the highest possible level for two games a week for weeks on end to keep both his club and his State in with a chance. Asking this of players will eventually lead them to ‘burn out’ and may cut their careers short by a number of years.
Brad Fittler might not have dropped out of rep football if the schedule was not so punishing on our leading players.

Hass

Juniors
* Hass * Bluebags *

FLEETING IMMORTALITY

I can just see it now. The year is 2023 and Rugby League Week is holding an elaborate function at the Sydney Convention Centre. The editor of the magazine steps forward and takes his place at the podium before gloriously announcing to the crowd, &#8220;It gives me great pleasure to announce that former Canberra wing-three-quarter Greg Wolfgramm has been chosen as the code&#8217;s 700th Immortal. He will join other illustrious players like Paul Carige, Ben Kusto and Barry Ward&#8221;.

Such a situation would be farcical. Exaggerated, but farcical nonetheless.

News hit the post-stands this week that Rugby League Week was looking to introduce a &#8220;7th Immortal&#8221;. The player would join the ranks of Clive Churchill, Johnny Raper, Reg Gasnier, Bob Fulton, Graham Langlands and Wally Lewis. That string of names reads like Rugby League royalty. They are the divine group towering over all other Rugby League players. Their position in the pantheon of their sport dictates that they are not their to be toyed with. Yet RLW is undoubtedly toying with them. The announcement that there is going to be a 7th immortal can only mean one of two things is going to happen. Either a recenty retired player like Mal Meninga or Laurie Daley is going to be given the title or they are going to make Andrew Johns an immortal. It is unthinkable that they could elevate a player who missed out on original selection over twenty years ago.

To call someone like Meninga or Daley an immortal would cheapen the status. Everybody loved Big Mal. He was indeed a champion, he captained Australia more times than any other player. He was a superstar. But I would find it hard for anyone to agree that he is the equal of Raper and Churchill. Conversely, making Johns an Immortal now &#8211; while he is still playing &#8211; would not be right. Johns needs to be judged by something that he is yet to encounter &#8211; time. Persoanlly I believe Johns to be the greatest player that I have ever seen strap on a boot, but to raise him to the level of immortal while he is still playing would be premature. Getting into the Immortals club should be harder than getting out of the Australian Cricket team. Graham Langlands had to wait 20-odd years to take his rightful place amongst the greatest of the greats. It was originally considered an injustice that Langlands missed out in the first place and that wrong was put to rest in the late 90&#8217;s when he was finally given entry into Rugby League&#8217;s most exclusive club.

However the question needs to be raised over whether the club will remain to be exclusive if Rugby League Week simply announces the inclusion of another immortal every time their magazine takes a dip in readership ratings. Only last year the National Rugby League established a Hall of Fame for the sport in Australia. The first six players inducted were none other than the immortals. Over the years it is expected players of lesser stature will be given entry to the Hall of Fame &#8211; and that&#8217;s the way it should be. You shouldn&#8217;t have to be an Immortal to gain entry into the Hall of Fame. However I am also certain that to gain entry into the Immortals you should have to be a lot more than a Hall of Famer. The last thing we need would the RLW Immortals becoming a de facto Hall of Fame &#8211; that would only serve to cheapen both the Immortals and the Hall.

In short, Rugby League Week should put a stop to this whole &#8220;7th Immortal&#8221; business. There should be a place within the Hall of Fame reserved for the Immortals and RLW should only be allowed to introduce more people into this prestigious club with the full consent of the NRL. The magazine should be able to maintain their right to use the concept in order to promote their magazine, however they should sign away their rights to exploit it. Otherwise it will remain a possibility that one day down the track, we&#8217;ll have a picture of Johnny Raper sitting on the wall next to a picture of the apparently immortal... Greg Wolfgramm.

- 703 Words (including title)

Cheers, and good luck to both teams.

Hass

Juniors
It seems as though Legend will be unable to post for the Bluebags.

At this stage we are unsure as to who will replace him from our roster.

Cheers.

The First Roadtrain
Oh When The Saints

Sydney clubs often travelled to NSW country areas in the early decades of rugby league. On weekends where no club matches were scheduled or they had the bye, teams would catch a Friday night or Saturday morning train north, south or west to help spread the word about the 'League Football' game.
After usually arriving early Saturday, the team would play one or two games against local sides before returning straight home - missing work on Monday wasn't an option. The proceeds from the matches would help to grow or establish local clubs and competitions.
It was not until 1990 that the NSWRL began to schedule regular season matches in areas outside the bounds of the current clubs. The first match saw Easts and Canterbury make the trek to Townsville where they slugged out a 12-12 draw.
However the first competition match taken to a country area was back in 1914 when Western Suburbs and Annandale played in Goulburn. Two matches were played in 1909 in Newcastle, but they were a premiership club at the time.
Aside from the Goulburn match being an obvious attempt to show 1st grade rugby league to the locals, little is known of how the match came about. There was no local competition at the time, so the only ready solution was to bring two teams in.
The match was the third last round of the season and it held no significance on the fight for the premiership. At that point Annandale had yet to win a game, while Wests hadn't seen a victory in almost two months.
The local press made note of the players arriving: "The city this morning was practically invaded by footballers.....two league teams, Annandale and Western Suburbs, were in town. The visitors attracted attention by driving through the city in motor cars, and stimulated no doubt by the news of the German request for an armistice purchased small flags and sang the National Anthem."
"There are included in the teams both interstate and international players. The public can look forward to some first-class football, as the teams are well matched and the contest is a competition one." [Goulburn Evening Penny Post]
On paper, the match did offer some appeal with Tedda Courtney, William Joass, Clarrie Tye, H. Naylor and W. Easterbrook in the Wests team, and Rex Norman, W. Lindsay, J. Brassell, Jim Pye and W. Doyle playing for Annandale.
Wests won the match by 6-4 after scoring two unconverted tries. The closeness of the scores apparently wasn't enough to enliven the crowd "scarcely was there a cheer raised during the progress of the match."
The match reporter for the Post did concede that the players could have been weary from the overnight train journey but "as they came as missionaries, those who visited the game had a right to expect the best."
"As an exhibition match calculated to gain recruits to the ranks of Rugby League the display of Saturday afternoon on the showground was not a success...the match was to supply that something more, but it failed to materialise."
At the back-end of the game, the reporter was hopeful: "Annandale can be relied upon in the last quarter to make things hum, but there was no buzzing on Saturday." The 'Dales Rex Norman made some late valiant runs to clinch the winning try, but "his forwards either failed to take a pass that meant victory or got in each other's way."

The final summation from the Goulburn Evening Penny Post: "The game was a disappointing display, however, from a league point of view, and if Saturday's is anything like a fair sample of the two teams' capabilities - which, however, we cannot believe - something better in class should be tried next time. It will only be something a bit extra that will attract Union footballers Leaguewards."
If the NSWRL did have plans to return, they would have been ended by the priorities of the Great War.
The match though took £17 at the gate (6d. general entry, with 6d. extra to sit in the Grandstand or Smokers' Stand) with £5 donated to help establish the local League competition.
The visit to the country air must have done the Annandale players some good - the next week they won their only game of the season when they nudged out Eastern Suburbs 16-14 at Wentworth Park. At nearby Birchgrove Oval, Wests copped a 30 point flogging from Balmain.
739 words

Rooster_Man

Juniors
The Flying Wedge; Grand Final 1976
Rooster_Man

Grand Finals hold special memories for all of us, whether players or spectators. We remember the defining moments, the winners, the losers, controversies, triumphs and tragedies. But there are also those moments in a Grand Final which are testimony to the personal effort that each player brings to a premiership decider.
After three decades in the premiership wilderness, Parramatta finally made their Grand Final debut in 1976. Facing up to the experienced Manly side, Eels coach Terry Fearnley sought a shock weapon to surprise the Sea Eagles.
He found it in the RU move called the &#8220;flying wedge&#8221;.
The move had been suggested to Fearnley by a Parramatta supporter. The Eels coach asked former Wallaby Ray Price what this &#8220;wedge&#8221; idea was all about - neither could see any rules to prevent its use and thought it worthy of adding to their trick bag.
In their final training session Fearnley explained the move to his players - taken from a tap penalty the &#8220;wedge&#8221; would entail the Eels forwards combining into a scrum formation. The man taking the lead position (hooker) would hold the ball as this unstoppable mass of football muscle and power hurled itself at the Sea Eagles defensive line.
Fearnley called for a volunteer to be the ball holder in the middle of the front row. Knowing that whoever it was would be the focal point of a massive collision - with no way out - unsurprisingly no one stepped forward.
The coach then changed tact - he said to his forward pack that included Ray Higgs, Geoff Gerard, Graham Olling, Denis Fitzgerald and Ray Price: &#8220;Who wants to score a try in the Grand Final?&#8221;
According to Fearnley, he immediately then had a volunteer as Ron Hilditch put his hand forward.
The lanky prop/hooker though says that he was &#8220;volunteered&#8221; for the role.
However it came about, Hilditch&#8217;s involvement demonstrates that when its comes to achieving premiership glory, players will almost put their souls on the line to see it through.
Late in the 2nd half of the Grand Final Parramatta were behind by 13- 10.
A penalty saw the Eels kick for touch, leaving them a with a tap still 15m away from the Manly try-line. The call went out to form the &#8220;wedge&#8221; - Ron Hilditch&#8217;s moment had arrived.
The Sea Eagles defensive line was immediately confused by what they saw materialising before them. The nearest Manly players, including Gary Stephens, Tom Mooney, Alan Thompson, Max Krilich, Graham Eadie and Steve Norton, had even less of an idea that the Parramatta pack was about to charge at them!
The SCG crowd of over 57,000 along with the hundreds of thousands watching on TV, were equally bewildered.
Hilditch tapped the ball and the six Parramatta forwards careered toward the Manly line on the blindside. This caught the Sea Eagles completely unaware. Near the corner, Eadie watched on as his team-mates in front of him either fell away or bravely held on to this hurtling scrum.
It was then clear to the Test fullback that this &#8220;wedge&#8221; wasn&#8217;t going to stop!
He threw himself at Hilditch and the ball. With the tryline before them the Parramatta pack collapsed - with Hilditch under it.
Eadie though had pinned Hilditch&#8217;s arms as the Eels prop fell on the ground with the ball under his chest. The &#8220;wedge&#8221; had been stopped in the corner only inches from the line and a match- winning try.
Hilditch later told how: &#8220;My eyes were actually over the line!&#8221;.
Somehow Hilditch, Eadie and the other players walked away uninjured.
The &#8220;flying wedge&#8221; was soon banned by the NSWRL, but it serves as a reminder of the courage that players demonstrate to play through a Grand Final - let alone win it!

ozzie

Bench
GAME OVER - TIME PLEASE BOYS AND GIRLS

umftime.gif

It is with the greatest of pleasure I present the "Chook Raper" Cup to the Dragons. Congratulations on beating the Bluebags.

DRAGONS

Dragon Fanatic 7.9

Sometimes the best laid plans we parents make, fall afoul. I always enjoy reading such well written personal accounts, well done DF.

The Knight Ryder 8.2

Interesting from the opening sentence, and a wise observation in the last. A shame that it wasn’t a bit longer, but your article was no poorer for that. Extremely well written. Most deserved of the Encouragement Award.

League Nut 8.5

I always enjoy humour in an article. Though I would think that a jesters hat in your teams colours is the height of fashion rather than bizarre. :}

Oh When the Saints 8.2

Great historical and current look at taking the game to the country. An article well worth reading.

Rooster Man 8.0

Courage is like a magnet and used to bring team spirit together. Your essay was interesting and a topic that I’ve never heard discussed before.

NEWTOWN

Willow 8.9

Interesting, factual informative and as professional as any article I have read. My Daughter is taught by Norm Provans Son, a respected High School teacher, who’s students found this to be an interesting insight.

Gorilla 9.2

In my humble opinion, Gorilla you are fast becoming the top gun in the writing of 7’s articles. [just want to put some pressure on you :}] I was captured from your opening sentences and thoroughly enjoyed the read.

Roopy 8.6

An extremely well put, interesting and viable solution to Rep Honours. The situation with Rep football is one that the NRL should address as an urgent matter. Your article shows an awareness and in depth knowledge which is displayed in your writing.

Hass 8.8

Laughed deliciously and out loud at the 700th immortal, my sentiments exactly. Concise, professional and entertaining. Well done, Well Said !

It is with regret that I have to announce the disqualification of Oh When the Saints and Rooster Man's Articles.

Both articles are written by and copyright to Sean Fagan/1908.

http://rl1908.com/rugby-league/Goulburn.htm

http://rl1908.com/rugby-league/Parramatta.htm

The Chook Raper Cup, now shrouded in controversy in it's inaugral year will be handed to the Bluebags.

Final Score for this game is

Bags 40.8 Defeated Dragons 24.6

The matter will be discussed in the Management Forum.
[/url]

Buzz Boy

Juniors
Penelope Pittstop said:
It is with regret that I have to announce the disqualification of Oh When the Saints and Rooster Man's Articles.

Both articles are written by and copyright to Sean Fagan/1908.

Wow, what's the chances of that?

DrAgOn FaNaTiC (who was disqualified in the original Forum Sevens on rleague for posting a completely plagiarised article) is captaining a team who then happen to have two of it's players disqualified for exactly the same thing.

Coincidence?

I'll let you be the judge.

As far as I'm concerned, this really should be looked at by the Forum Sevens management as possibly a deliberate team tactic that went terribly awry.

:roll:

Buzz Boy with all due respect to your opinion, the 7's management has made a final decision regarding this issue. Rather than causing DF any more embarrassement over the issue, I suggest that we move on.

I think that it is obvious that in 'most' cases, plaigerism is going to be found out.

Also Buzz Boy, I beleive the Sharks are looking for 7's participants and I beleive you have posted some quality articles. It would be fantastic, if you were able to help them out. Tamazoid seems to be willing to do the hard yards in getting together a team, and it would be a shame if he couldn't field a team. Food for thought in any case.

Cheers !