What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 - Rabbitohs vs Tigers: Saturday 17th April 5:30pm @Stadium Australia

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Mitchell: Not his best game but I thought he was still pretty damn good. Because it was such a grinding game, Latrell didn't get many attacking opportunities so his performance last night involved a lot of great kick returns and strong hit ups which was good to see. he was pushing up around the ball and wanted to be involved. Still had some silky touches and put AJ in space off some great passes a few times, it's a shame his 'try assist' wasn't to be. He was safe under the high ball and very dominant in defence, he saved our arses a few times there. Then how about his 40 meter run from the in-goal?!! That was an absolutely incredible piece of play, no other player could do that! Was huge in the context of the game as it changed the momentum and actually set up our victoryu in my opinion. The only negatives of his night was the silly high on Nofoaluma. No need for that at all and it's going to cost him at least three weeks. Not happy with that.

Johnston: Not a bad night, didn't do anything super special but he was good I thought. Really strong running game again tonight and this is an area AJ has really stepped up in. He used his speed on a few kick returns and runs which saw him look pretty elusive at times. Putting his hand in touch when it looked like a try was a huge error though, the game could have been very different if he got that but who am I to judge I guess, it didn't cost us the victory in the end. Stoked he got a win in game 150.

Gagai: Another unbelieveable game from Gags, it's honestly crazy how much work he gets through. All game he just kept going hard and taking the tough runs which saw him end up with an outstanding 151 meters off 15 runs. Brilliant finish for his try, that was awesome support play and the step inside to score was awesome. The only negative was his defensive read which lead to Garner's try. He slid out instead of staying in on Garner which created a massive hole. But oh well, Gags was still very good.

Graham: Not a bad game from Cammy at all. Like most of our outside backs, he was heavily involved and was huge in getting us out of our end. Ran for over 110 meters and some of those runs were huge, I remember two he had where he picked up 10-15 meters which is a great effort. Defended most of the play that came his way and had some really good reads but I do believe it was him that caused the Tigers first try. He hung on his inside too long and couldn't get across to Leilua quick enough which saw Luciano get on his outside and beat him. This forced mansour to come in which created the space for Nofoaluma and lead to the try.

Mansour: Pretty good game from Sauce. Firstly, I want to praise his work under the high ball. It's probably not his strong point but despite being bombarded with bombs from Brooks and Doueihi, he handled it very well and didn't drop a single one. Was strong coming out of our end and on attack which saw him ran for 100 meters. Did his job on defence too, he's copping it from people online about causing Laurie's try but I watched the game back and looked at it closely, it was Campbell's fault as I explained earlier. Sauce did what he had to there.

Walker: Bit of a quiet game for Cody. It wasn't one of those games where he went missing because he was trying hard and was involved, I just think the Tigers handled him really well to their credit. Was involved in basically all of our sharp attacking raids that looked nice and he did create some opportunities. Really stood up in the play for our second try though. Great vision and hole running to take the pass from Junior, go straight through and set up Gags to put us back in the game. That was a huge play.

Reynolds: Rocks and diamonds. Over all, it wasn't the best game from Reyno. While his general play kicking wasn't bad, it wasn't anything special, not like anything we've been used to in the past that's for sure. He set Murray up for the openeing try off a beautiful pass, that was awesome play but apart from that, didn't do a lot in attack. I've gotta say though, without him we perhaps don't win that game. The second biggest play of the night was his 2 point field goal. That has to be one of the biggest and best field goals I've seen. Such a high risk play, if he misses that, we lose. Thankfully, he nailed it, huge play from Reyno. So that drew us level but he then missed his next two opportunities to actually win the game which is very unlike him.

Burgess: For the second week in a row, Tom should take a bow and for the second week in a row, he was our best player. A huge game from Tommy!! Super busy in both his stints as he got through plenty of work and plenty of meters. The Tigers pack was really sticking it to us but Tom was standing up and ensuring they didn't get fully on top. In the end, I think he ended up with over 200 meters again which is huge! And then what do I say about that final play in golden point?!! Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!!! Just a monumental run that channelled his brother's 2014 Grand Final effort. To run like that and score the match winner was just so awesome, a try that will stick in my mind for a long, long time to come. I'll honestly tell my kids about that one.

Cook: Steady, solid game. Didn't do anything special but played his role to perfection. His service was perfect and he was bringing the forwards onto the ball really well. Still ran and probed out of dummy-half which was good to see and he asked a few questions of the Tigers middle defence. Speaking of defence, Cookie was immense in that area that's for sure, topping the tackle count for us with 52. Then there was that play to win the game that I just spoke about. Such great vision from Cookie to recognise the defence had all eyes on Reyno so he hit Tom short and well, the rest is history! Cook's role in that play is being under-valued I feel.

Tatola: Had a bit of a quiet first stint but boy didn't he step up in his second?!! A really massive effort in that second stint with the game on the line and he contributed a big part in laying the platform for our comeback. Broke the game open with a pearler of a pass to Cody which lead to that try, certainly not what I'd expect from a front rower but Jeez I loved it!! Did his job in defence with the only negative of his game being giving away that silly penalty that allowed the Tigers to get out to eight in the second half.

Host: Backed up a strong game last week with another strong one last night. I thought he was really good. Not too many highlights to talk about but he did make 78 meters which is a good effort considering the minutes he played. Loved his defence too, in a lot of the tackles where we drove them back, Hosty was involved. Not sure where he sits with Keaon returning next week. Would be tough to drop him out of the 17.

Su'A: His usual, consistent performance. Hard running on that right edge, every run he had was full of aggression and 100% effort which lead to good meters. Found himself with a bit of room to move at times but I once the play got shut down, I was pleased with how he didn't panic (as he has in the past). Solid in defence, shutting down a few plays on our line and put a good whack on young Simpkin to welcome him to grade.

Murray: Monumental game from Cam! He's been good all year but I think this was certainly his best performance yet. He was in everything and as we know and love, didn't shy away from anything. Quality run after quality run and texbook tackle after textbook tackle. Finished up with 173 meters and 41 tackles which is huge! The grinding, arm wrestle style of game is built for Cam and he thrived last night. Got a meat pie too, what a try that was!! Straight through and then some dazzling footwork to beat Laurie and slide over. An arousing play from Mr Arousal himself haha.

Marshall: Got a decent abount of minutes and I was really looking forward to him carving up his old side and being instrumental in our comeback but he didn't really do anything sepcial to note. That's not a knock on Benji, it was just other players around him really stood up to get us the win.

Nicholls: Really good game from Nicho, loved his impact off the bench. We were caught in a grind and he came on and didn't skip a beat, we didn't go backwards hile he was on. I want to make special mention of his role in our fantastic set in golden point. He had two, yes two, mega runs in that set which put us in position to win that game. He's the unsung hero of that match winning set.

Knight: Limited minutes (as expected) in his first game back so there's not too much to talk about but he did have a few good runs. It's just really good to finally have him back and hopefully he can build on last night in the coming weeks.

Arrow: While he perhaps didn't have a huge impact like he has in games in the past, I thought he was still pretty good. Came on and ran hard, tackled hard, that's all we can ask of our big name recruit. He certainly contributed in a big way to that win.

So man, oh man, what a crazy game!!! So happy to win that one but we do have some stuff to work on heading into next week. Stoked to pick up the two points in the fashion we did though!

Rabbit57

Juniors
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Mitchell: Not his best game but I thought he was still pretty damn good. Because it was such a grinding game, Latrell didn't get many attacking opportunities so his performance last night involved a lot of great kick returns and strong hit ups which was good to see. he was pushing up around the ball and wanted to be involved. Still had some silky touches and put AJ in space off some great passes a few times, it's a shame his 'try assist' wasn't to be. He was safe under the high ball and very dominant in defence, he saved our arses a few times there. Then how about his 40 meter run from the in-goal?!! That was an absolutely incredible piece of play, no other player could do that! Was huge in the context of the game as it changed the momentum and actually set up our victoryu in my opinion. The only negatives of his night was the silly high on Nofoaluma. No need for that at all and it's going to cost him at least three weeks. Not happy with that.

Johnston: Not a bad night, didn't do anything super special but he was good I thought. Really strong running game again tonight and this is an area AJ has really stepped up in. He used his speed on a few kick returns and runs which saw him look pretty elusive at times. Putting his hand in touch when it looked like a try was a huge error though, the game could have been very different if he got that but who am I to judge I guess, it didn't cost us the victory in the end. Stoked he got a win in game 150.

Gagai: Another unbelieveable game from Gags, it's honestly crazy how much work he gets through. All game he just kept going hard and taking the tough runs which saw him end up with an outstanding 151 meters off 15 runs. Brilliant finish for his try, that was awesome support play and the step inside to score was awesome. The only negative was his defensive read which lead to Garner's try. He slid out instead of staying in on Garner which created a massive hole. But oh well, Gags was still very good.

Graham: Not a bad game from Cammy at all. Like most of our outside backs, he was heavily involved and was huge in getting us out of our end. Ran for over 110 meters and some of those runs were huge, I remember two he had where he picked up 10-15 meters which is a great effort. Defended most of the play that came his way and had some really good reads but I do believe it was him that caused the Tigers first try. He hung on his inside too long and couldn't get across to Leilua quick enough which saw Luciano get on his outside and beat him. This forced mansour to come in which created the space for Nofoaluma and lead to the try.

Mansour: Pretty good game from Sauce. Firstly, I want to praise his work under the high ball. It's probably not his strong point but despite being bombarded with bombs from Brooks and Doueihi, he handled it very well and didn't drop a single one. Was strong coming out of our end and on attack which saw him ran for 100 meters. Did his job on defence too, he's copping it from people online about causing Laurie's try but I watched the game back and looked at it closely, it was Campbell's fault as I explained earlier. Sauce did what he had to there.

Walker: Bit of a quiet game for Cody. It wasn't one of those games where he went missing because he was trying hard and was involved, I just think the Tigers handled him really well to their credit. Was involved in basically all of our sharp attacking raids that looked nice and he did create some opportunities. Really stood up in the play for our second try though. Great vision and hole running to take the pass from Junior, go straight through and set up Gags to put us back in the game. That was a huge play.

Reynolds: Rocks and diamonds. Over all, it wasn't the best game from Reyno. While his general play kicking wasn't bad, it wasn't anything special, not like anything we've been used to in the past that's for sure. He set Murray up for the openeing try off a beautiful pass, that was awesome play but apart from that, didn't do a lot in attack. I've gotta say though, without him we perhaps don't win that game. The second biggest play of the night was his 2 point field goal. That has to be one of the biggest and best field goals I've seen. Such a high risk play, if he misses that, we lose. Thankfully, he nailed it, huge play from Reyno. So that drew us level but he then missed his next two opportunities to actually win the game which is very unlike him.

Burgess: For the second week in a row, Tom should take a bow and for the second week in a row, he was our best player. A huge game from Tommy!! Super busy in both his stints as he got through plenty of work and plenty of meters. The Tigers pack was really sticking it to us but Tom was standing up and ensuring they didn't get fully on top. In the end, I think he ended up with over 200 meters again which is huge! And then what do I say about that final play in golden point?!! Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!!! Just a monumental run that channelled his brother's 2014 Grand Final effort. To run like that and score the match winner was just so awesome, a try that will stick in my mind for a long, long time to come. I'll honestly tell my kids about that one.

Cook: Steady, solid game. Didn't do anything special but played his role to perfection. His service was perfect and he was bringing the forwards onto the ball really well. Still ran and probed out of dummy-half which was good to see and he asked a few questions of the Tigers middle defence. Speaking of defence, Cookie was immense in that area that's for sure, topping the tackle count for us with 52. Then there was that play to win the game that I just spoke about. Such great vision from Cookie to recognise the defence had all eyes on Reyno so he hit Tom short and well, the rest is history! Cook's role in that play is being under-valued I feel.

Tatola: Had a bit of a quiet first stint but boy didn't he step up in his second?!! A really massive effort in that second stint with the game on the line and he contributed a big part in laying the platform for our comeback. Broke the game open with a pearler of a pass to Cody which lead to that try, certainly not what I'd expect from a front rower but Jeez I loved it!! Did his job in defence with the only negative of his game being giving away that silly penalty that allowed the Tigers to get out to eight in the second half.

Host: Backed up a strong game last week with another strong one last night. I thought he was really good. Not too many highlights to talk about but he did make 78 meters which is a good effort considering the minutes he played. Loved his defence too, in a lot of the tackles where we drove them back, Hosty was involved. Not sure where he sits with Keaon returning next week. Would be tough to drop him out of the 17.

Su'A: His usual, consistent performance. Hard running on that right edge, every run he had was full of aggression and 100% effort which lead to good meters. Found himself with a bit of room to move at times but I once the play got shut down, I was pleased with how he didn't panic (as he has in the past). Solid in defence, shutting down a few plays on our line and put a good whack on young Simpkin to welcome him to grade.

Murray: Monumental game from Cam! He's been good all year but I think this was certainly his best performance yet. He was in everything and as we know and love, didn't shy away from anything. Quality run after quality run and texbook tackle after textbook tackle. Finished up with 173 meters and 41 tackles which is huge! The grinding, arm wrestle style of game is built for Cam and he thrived last night. Got a meat pie too, what a try that was!! Straight through and then some dazzling footwork to beat Laurie and slide over. An arousing play from Mr Arousal himself haha.

Marshall: Got a decent abount of minutes and I was really looking forward to him carving up his old side and being instrumental in our comeback but he didn't really do anything sepcial to note. That's not a knock on Benji, it was just other players around him really stood up to get us the win.

Nicholls: Really good game from Nicho, loved his impact off the bench. We were caught in a grind and he came on and didn't skip a beat, we didn't go backwards hile he was on. I want to make special mention of his role in our fantastic set in golden point. He had two, yes two, mega runs in that set which put us in position to win that game. He's the unsung hero of that match winning set.

Knight: Limited minutes (as expected) in his first game back so there's not too much to talk about but he did have a few good runs. It's just really good to finally have him back and hopefully he can build on last night in the coming weeks.

Arrow: While he perhaps didn't have a huge impact like he has in games in the past, I thought he was still pretty good. Came on and ran hard, tackled hard, that's all we can ask of our big name recruit. He certainly contributed in a big way to that win.

So man, oh man, what a crazy game!!! So happy to win that one but we do have some stuff to work on heading into next week. Stoked to pick up the two points in the fashion we did though!
Highlight for me was referee running 200 m to award a try. Great atmosphere and a terrific struggle.

On another note I stuck my neck out after the Manly game concerned about Cody and Latrell’s discipline. Had no friends on that one.

Cody has since been suspended and Latrell will follow after unnecessary indiscretions. The implications could be costly. We need to sort out the line between aggression and lack of discipline before we get to the business end of the season. We need their brilliance on the field, not on the sideline.

callmack1

Staff member
Mitchell snr recovering after hospital dash as Latrell faces ban: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/18...ospital-dash-as-latrell-faces-three-week-ban/

Round 6 Gallery - Win over the Tigers: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/18/gallery-round-6-win-over-the-tigers/

From Sporting News, good to hear Freddy talking some sense for once,

Brad Fittler defends Latrell Mitchell after Luke Garner incident

New South Wales coach Brad Fittler has come to Latrell Mitchell's defence after the Rabbitohs fullback was heavily criticised for lashing out at Wests Tigers forward Luke Garner on Saturday night.

After brilliantly escaping from the in-goal area, Mitchell took off downfield in the final 20 minutes of the closely contested match at Stadium Australia.

He was eventually bought down by Garner just short of the halfway line, before getting an offload away.

As play continued, Garner held onto Mitchell's foot with the Souths fullback lashing out by sending a kick his way.

Mitchell copped a barrage of criticism for the incident, but Fittler defended his actions.

"That bloke had hold of his foot, didn't he?" Fittler asked on The Footy Show on Channel Nine.

"Don't hold his foot! He just wanted to get out and play. I can agree with that.

"There's too many times the other team are grabbing the opposition just to annoy them.

"Every now and then someone reacts. That didn't hurt him and didn't do anything, and I can't understand it at all."

When challenged by Peter Sterling, Fittler said players rarely get penalised for holding on too long.

"That doesn't happen - I can show you distinct examples in games where that doesn't happen," Fittler said.

"If you sit there and let him hold your foot, you know what happens? Nothing.

"You get no advantage at all. That one, let go of his foot."

Mitchell was hit with a grade one contrary conduct charge for the incident and will be fined $1600.

It's one of three charges he copped from the match, with the 23-year-old facing a three week stint on the sideline for a hit on David Nofoaluma in the first half.

Asked about the moment after the match, Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett said he didn't see it, while Tigers coach Michael Maguire said the Bunker should be able to intervene.

"You look at moments in the game where the ball comes down there in the corner, and I'm sure there was a foot that touched the white line and the technology in the game, I think Garns ended up copping a boot there at one stage, technology in the game can refer to that," Maguire said.

"We end up down the other end and we get a penalty against us.

"Those sort of things are massive momentum changers and that hurts tonight in that result.

"With the technology we've got, we've got to be using that to be able to go 'hang on', those things are happening within the game."

truthslayer

Juniors
Hey guys after watching replays on Latrells supposedly high shot, there was no intention at all as turned to watch the play. Media now comparing send-off in canterbury vs Cowboys , its become a trial by media. No way is this anyway a comparison to Hetherington tackle. Ridiculous beat up in Media ! Typical bias there was nothing in it!

NRL-2021-Latrell-Mitchell-hospital-dash-suspension-from-Wests-Tigers-thriller-NRL.png

truthslayer

Juniors
another angle as you see Latrell follow the play

Attachments

• NRL-2021-Latrell-Mitchell-hospital-dash-suspension-from-Wests-Tigers-thriller-NRL (1).png
    NRL-2021-Latrell-Mitchell-hospital-dash-suspension-from-Wests-Tigers-thriller-NRL (1).png
    26.1 KB · Views: 10

Robbie 12

Juniors
for me the Referees had a bad game,

I went to the game and was watching the touch judge he didnt know where to stand running in line with the souths attacking line and then with tiger defense then at the play the ball, every 4 seconds running forward and back at both lines all the time ..... he just looked lost,

if the main ref is with the defensive team, watching the play the ball and if the team are inside the 10m, then touchy should be watching for the attacking team for forward passes.....he just looked lost

i dont like this new rule, when they award the try, and as the kicker is lining up the kick they are reviewing the try, even after the referee has blow his whistle awarding the try

what happened to last year, you blow the whistle for the try and thats the final call, should review the try when they think they didnt score and that it, only should review if the captain called for review and thats it ...why is there automatic review, or why the ref givess the try and by the way I want to review it ...so stupid

Just like tom burgess said after the game when they interview him, the lady asked him, "what you think some people say that latrell put his foot on the line when he was returning the ball from his in goals, but some say he didnt,what do you think"

he said " well the on field officials think that he didnt, SO THEY SHOULD JUST GET ON WITH IT ...

what happened to play to the whistle, ?

Hey guys after watching replays on Latrells supposedly high shot, there was no intention at all as turned to watch the play. Media now comparing send-off in canterbury vs Cowboys , its become a trial by media. No way is this anyway a comparison to Hetherington tackle. Ridiculous beat up in Media ! Typical bias there was nothing in it!

View attachment 47715

I beg to differ, but the game is done. I’m thinking 3 or 4 weeks.

It really lets the side and fans down when he resorts to needless violence. He’s good enough not to go feral and place the team in harms way, especially when he’s hit some form and is healthy.

I’m not saying we were angels and I’ve been criticised for saying we Tigers failed to rally in the last 10 mins. If we’d put more pressure on Renno etc we might have pulled off the miracle!

But the way to have a chance against you guys is to get a bit aggro and rely on your less composed players to implode. Everyone will be onto it now and your guys will need to be more patient and composed than ever.

Latrell should just learn to let the frustration out in the gym or somewhere quiet. I know he’s still a kid though. I don’t think Benny has to say anything, footy players love playing. He will miss that.

Just a waste I suppose.

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

View attachment 47715
James Hooper called it "the karate chop" lol, but he also didn't think there was much in it

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I just got around to watching this game. f**k it was such a good game to watch. You can tell both teams hate eachother. Theres more hate in that game by the players than the roosters and souths game. You could tell against the roosters we were cruising in that second half but the tigers game was full of energy and frustration.

I can see why Mitchell got the 4 week suspension. Even though he wasn't looking he needs to be conscious of where his body is. He was reckless in turning around even if all that was going through his mind was "i need to save that try". At least Nofoaluma isn't injured by it.

Its good to see us come back in games like that because good teams find a way to win when things are tough. Re-living that final 10 minutes and golden point was great. I was cheering for Reynolds when he converted that 2 point field goal and then when he missed the penalty I lost it again haha.

Tigers brought their A game and were unlucky to lose that game. This is going to be a good rivalry going forward I reckon. Tigers are definitely on the up as a team. If I was in their coaching staff I would think that they need to go on the hunt for the best young halfback they can find and start getting some game time into their new look spine. Paul Turner could be an option. NZ has massive wraps on him.

Jim Rockford

Bench
I just got around to watching this game. f**k it was such a good game to watch. You can tell both teams hate eachother. Theres more hate in that game by the players than the roosters and souths game. You could tell against the roosters we were cruising in that second half but the tigers game was full of energy and frustration.
I remember back in the 80s there was always much more animosity towards the Tigers than the Roosters.The spectre of the 69 GF still looms large over both teams.