What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs. Penrith Panthers Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Penrith Panthers vs. Brisbane Broncos
BlueBet Stadium, Friday 15 April 2022
Kick Off: 7:55pm

PEN2022TEAM.png

1. Dylan Edwards 2. Charlie Staines 3. Izack Tago 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Taylan May 6. Jarome Luai 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Matt Eisenhuth 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo

Interchange: 14. Mitch Kenny 15. Scott Sorensen 16. Spencer Leniu 17. Jaeman Salmon

Reserves: 18. Robert Jennings 19. Chris Smith 20. J'maine Hopgood 21. Lindsay Smith 22. Soni Luke 23. Christian Crichton 24. Sean O'Sullivan

BRI2022TEAM.png

1. Tesi Niu 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Billy Walters 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Keenan Palasia 9. Jake Turpin 10. Corey Jensen 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Kobe Hetherington

Interchange: 14. Ryan James 15. Rhys Kennedy 16. TC Robati 17. Cory Paix

Reserves: 18. Tyson Gamble 19. Delouise Hoeter 20. Jordan Pereira 21. Ezra Mam 22. Te Maire Martin 23. Ethan Quai-Ward 24. Logan Bayliss-Brow​

Big Pete

Referee
The NRL has handed Payne Haas and Albert Kelly a one game suspension for their altercation that was leaked on social media. I think it's a ridiculous overreaction but it is what it is.

Cobbo, Farnworth and Reynolds are under an injury cloud. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kevie rest a few players and focus ahead to the Bulldogs game when they'll get Haas and Flegler back from their respective suspensions.

If that's the case, I could see Gamble in at 7, Pereira in at 5 and Hoeter at 4. I'm surprised Brenko wasn't named as a reserve, you'd think he'd be there for depth. I'm not sure if there's an injury or suspension but it's odd that Quai-Ward was considered ahead of him.

As you'd imagine, Penrith go into the game as overwhelming favourites. It's deserved, but Brisbane have to go in with the right attitude and try to match them physically. A few of these forwards are playing for a spot, for players like Jensen, Palasia, Hetherington, Kennedy, Robati etc. it's their chance to nail a position.

Big Pete

Referee
Herbie Farnworth is out with a knee injury.

Former Wests Tiger Delouise Hoeter will play his first NRL game in six seasons.

Big Pete

Referee
Penrith Panthers 40 def. Brisbane Broncos 12 (Niu, Staggs tries; Reynolds 2/2 goals)

2-4

As expected it was a tough night out for the Broncos.

Without Haas, Carrigan, Farnworth & Flegler the Broncos actually competed pretty well against the undefeated Panthers. It was 6-all when the Broncos had a try denied by a Staggs fumble when it appeared he had scored. Later on the Broncos had another chance to hit the front, but Tesi Niu did his hammy in attempting to chase the ball and missed the rest of the game. It was a shame because Tesi was beginning to make his mark on the contest.

It was a similar story as last week where Brisbane would do all the hard work only to let themselves down with really soft defence. A good example would be the Scott Sorensen try right on half-time where the Broncos allowed him to score off a simple hit-up. Riki came up with a poor tackle attempt and since Palasia was slow off the mark, it gave Sorensen a clear passage to stroll over.

Brisbane would go onto concede some very similar tries in the second half. Three of which happened while Palasia was off the field for a shove to the face of Edwards after a frustrating penalty for a 'flop'. Made it 12 on 12 and Penrith used the extra space to their advantage.

Still a few positives despite the scoreline. Jensen and Palasia played well during the opening exchanges and held their own against the Panthers. Staggs was dangerous all night as Reynolds kept feeding him good ball. Oatesy again came up with some good plays on the wing and Hoeter played well. With Haas, Farnworth and Flegler due back next week the Broncos can certainly build off that performance.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Okay so the 2 games we have won were against a depleted souffs and a bulldogs outfit that lost today by 20 points to the same depleted souffs team

Good times

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
What is the deal with Walters at 6? I certainly haven't seen as much from him as Gamble showed last year?

Is it nepotism or was Gamble on the nose with the club?

Big Pete

Referee
What is the deal with Walters at 6? I certainly haven't seen as much from him as Gamble showed last year?

Is it nepotism or was Gamble on the nose with the club?
To an extent, Gamble trialled terribly but he was playing on the right-side of the field so it already felt like confirmation bias on behalf of Kev. From the Broncos perspective, they believe Billy compliments Reynolds game better being more of a running five eighth but it really hasn't been that effective.

The issue for the Broncos is that while they have plenty of depth at 6, none of them have shown the capacity yet to dominate at this level. Gamble is a competitor but he essentially relies on effort and at times that can backfire on him.

I expect Billy to retain his position for the Bulldogs clash, if the Broncos lose there then they'll likely push him to 14 with Turpin or Paix at 9.

Dazzat

First Grade
So its now "potential libel" to state the bleeding obvious?

One wonders how much Broncos fans are willing to be screwed week-in-week-out until they stand up with some courage?

Seems forever. So many today are just limp wristed sooks.