What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Warriors

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons versus Warriors
The St George Illawarra Dragons will look to continue on their winning run when they welcome the New Zealand Warriors to Kogarah Oval this Sunday.

The Red V had every right to be written off at the start of the season after a humiliating loss to the Rabbitohs in the Charity Shield match, followed by a disappointing Round 1 loss to the Sharks at home in which they trailed 14-0 at halftime.

However, four straight wins, the latest of them an impressive 26-12 victory over the previously unbeaten Parramatta Eels at Bankwest Stadium last Sunday night, has them sitting in the top four, higher than anyone expected at this point of the season.

Andrew McCullough, who only arrived at the club on the eve of the season, proved his worth to the club with another impressive performance against the Eels, while Matt Dufty was also among their best as he pushes his case for a new contract with the club.

They’ll only get better following the news that Josh McGuire has joined the club, effective immediately, thus seeing some experience added to their squad as they push for a return to September for just the third time since 2011.

The Warriors will go into this clash on the back of a heartbreaking 13-12 loss to the Sea Eagles, but have otherwise done well in punching above their weight with a return home now not far away following last week’s announcement that Australians can cross the ditch without quarantining from next week.

The Kiwi club, however, have committed to remaining in Australia until the end of June, with their first real home game against the Dragons set for Friday, July 2, in what’s sure to be an emotional homecoming for everyone’s second club (if we can still call them that).

Before all that, Nathan Brown will take his Warriors to the ground where his NRL coaching career began in 2003, with the club looking to end an 18-year hoodoo at Kogarah Oval where they have not won since that same year (in which Brown was in his first season as Dragons coach).

Back at Kogarah for the first time since Round 1, the Dragons should reward their fans with a victory and continue their early-season surge.

Prediction: Dragons by 16 points.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/04/13/2021-nrl-season-round-6-preview/

redVinme

Juniors
I've had a quick squizz at our opposition's form guide and I've gotta say I'm not very impressed. They had a good first up win against the Titans ( who fielded a very different team from last year ) but this Sunday they'll be without AFB, Sironen, Tevita, Aitken and Fusitua who all played well in that Titans game. Their only other win was against a team so affected by injuries on the day that it caused a massive rethink from the NRL and we now have an 18th man. Canberra were 3 starting forwards down from the 15th minute but the Warriors only managed to pull off a win in the dying stages. The first half saw Canberra lay on 4 tries to be up 25 - 6 at the break. The Warriors losses were to Newie, Roosters and Manly. They've only lead once at halftime and that was 6-0 against the Titans.
The most startling Warriors stat is that of their coach Nathan Brown with a Win rate of just 27%. Brownie should study up on some of Raudinikis's slapping videos.

You would think our boys will be really fired up for this for a number of reasons - 1, we're back at Jubilee where we let the scum get one over us on home soil in our only defeat this year and they need to renew their vows so to speak, to the faithful and long suffering home crowd. - 2, The Warriors have won 4 straight against us but are ripe for the picking with a host of players out. - 3. A bloke named Hook has shown them how to win and I think they're getting the hang of it. 4. None of our forwards want to lose their spot to McGrub. 5. We're on a roll woohoo.

Saints 11+
Go you good things !

No Elise katoa (sp) either.
Lots of Outs.

Drags by 12

TruSaint

Referee
How good is it to actually look forward to a game.

For once I agree with the roar. Saints by plenty.

Sorry, I'm gonna ride this streak as long as it lasts.

At home, in form, a real defensive resolve tells me we win.

Only complacency beats us Sunday.

Rava with a double Saints 13+

Illusion

Bench

I was thinking 20+ , Never would have been that confident last couple of years ....

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I’m hoping to see Ramsey finally stretch out and get a few. He hasn’t got much good ball yet but it would be really nice to see him in open space.
I agree, I was thinking the same myself.....thought jeez I .like to see this kid motor with a bit of space for a change.....he unfortunately rarely gets the opportunity....lets hope it happens on Sunday against the Warriors

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Like you Tru Im actually looking forward to the game, cant say Ive felt this way for ages.......I used to have the best lawn and front garden in my street for years because by half time in our games I would have turned the tele off go and mow and pull weeds out.....glad to say my yard is somewhat neglected so far this year

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Does anyone see the similarity as to what Hook is doing now compared to Bennett did in 2009/10?

1. Fix the soft underbelly of our forwards, eg Neville Costigan = Josh McGuire; Michael Weyman = ?( Work in progress); Nathan Fien = Andrew McGuire (Someone to get the ball to the Forwards or playmakers at the right time);
2. Fixed our defence, within 5 NRL games - Same as Bennett.
3. Giving our playmakers confidence to play controlled ad-lib football when appropriate yet providing a structure.
4. Bring back enjoying football and one another's company. eg Coffees before training with different groups each week.

I like what I see!

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Like you Tru Im actually looking forward to the game, cant say Ive felt this way for ages.......I used to have the best lawn and front garden in my street for years because by half time in our games I would have turned the tele off go and mow and pull weeds out.....glad to say my yard is somewhat neglected so far this year

Just spray everything with roundup. Then you'll have no problems! And more time to watch the football.

BLM01

First Grade

Agree in regards to looking forward to watching them but I’m more nervous about this one than last week

Dragon David

First Grade
Lay down artificial grass. You will still have the best lawn in the street then.

getsmarty

Immortal
birdj-try-210411_bc_ab2w8216_2021411183551.jpg

DRAGONS

The simple philosophy behind Dragons' top-four rise
Author
Brad Walter & Troy Whittaker
Timestamp
Sat 17 Apr 2021, 10:01 AM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra players prepare to play for up to 90 minutes and expect they will only have the ball for five minutes each match.

It's part of Dragons coach Anthony Griffin's mantra of playing for each other and be prepared to do whatever it takes that has led to the team climbing into the top four after four consecutive wins.

On the eve of Sunday's match against the Warriors at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, St George Illawarra players spoke about some of the reasons behind their stunning turnaround after being humbled by South Sydney in the Charity Shied and beaten by Cronulla in round one.

"We're building nicely as a team. Our focus is team-first," fullback Matt Dufty said. "We're '75 minutes without the ball' and doing your job for your teammate.

"I think it's been a real good platform for the boys to build off. You're playing for something more than yourself and you're playing for the other 17 people out there."

Griffin told his players to prepare as if they'll only have the ball for a few minutes per game. He also told them they need to be ready for every game to go to golden point extra time.

remote.axd

Dufty: We are playing for each other

"We plan to go for 90 minutes, it is just the mentality we have," said forward Trent Merrin, who this week will make his 250th appearance across the NRL and Super League, just a week after celebrating his milestone 150th game for the Dragons.

"If it goes past the 80 minutes, we are ready to go 90 minutes and do whatever it takes. We are prepared to keep defending sets, put our bodies where they don't want to go and keep working for each other."

St George Illawarra players had overcome 10 six-again calls and the sin-binning of second-rower Tariq Sims in last weekend's 26-12 defeat of the previously unbeaten Eels at Bankwest Stadium.

Dufty said the Dragons' scrambling defence was due to the camaraderie and attitude developed in the pre-season under Griffin, while teammates revealed that the new coach barely spoke to them about football.

"Hook has been driving it since day one of pre-season," Dufty said. "Even when we were doing laps around the oval, just ridiculous kilometres, he was saying 'you find that extra metre, that extra second in the time for your teammate – don't worry about yourself'.

"If you're thinking about yourself, then you're letting your teammates down. I think everyone really bought into it and I think you can tell out there [on the field] by our scramble.

"Maybe last year we wouldn't have done it – or we would have – but this year, there's a real focus on that if someone gets beaten it's not their fault, it's the other people's fault that they weren't there to help them out.

"Having a real focus on team-first is something that's been a really big stepping stone for me as well. It's good to go out there and think about it. It makes you a lot calmer because you know you're doing it for your teammates."

remote.axd

Dragons v Warriors - Round 6

Star centre Zac Lomax said about one per cent of his conversations with Griffin were about football and the rest about life.

"The best thing about Hook is he's a great fella and person before he's a coach," Lomax said. "You can talk to him about anything. Football comes last to him – the person comes first.

"I've clicked really quickly with Hook, I've taken so much away from him, more as a person and understanding life in general.

"Once you cross that stripe at training it's a hundred per cent footy, he brings the best out of you, but it's all about being a good person first. We're fortunate enough to be football players but we're people first and foremost."

Forward Josh Kerr said Griffin had taken an interest in his family and life away from the NRL.

Griffin had also challenged him to put on weight and make the transition from the middle to the second row.

"When we went to Townsville we had a connecting flight in Brisbane and my parents came to airport to see me. He wanted to come down to meet them," Kerr said. "He had a good chat with my old man and he does really care about the person you are off the field.

"He knows when to coach you and when to be a mentor to you. He is really good like that. He's all for having a laugh at training but he gives you the hard word. He's given me a few hard words, I'll tell you that.

"One of the best things Hook has done for me is make me realise I can do a lot of things I thought I couldn't do.

"Manly was my first 80-minute game and it was crazy. Being 118 kilos and playing 80 minutes in the back row, I didn't think I'd be able to do that but I have."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/17/the-simple-philosophy-behind-dragons-top-four-rise/

The calm one

Juniors
Does anyone see the similarity as to what Hook is doing now compared to Bennett did in 2009/10?

1. Fix the soft underbelly of our forwards, eg Neville Costigan = Josh McGuire; Michael Weyman = ?( Work in progress); Nathan Fien = Andrew McGuire (Someone to get the ball to the Forwards or playmakers at the right time);
3. Giving our playmakers confidence to play controlled ad-lib football when appropriate yet providing a structure.
4. Bring back enjoying football and one another's company. eg Coffees before training with different groups each week.

I like what I see!
Good post well said

BLM01

First Grade

I like what I see!
No. 5. Sounds like the man manager? that we needed and able to make the workplace more enjoyable (thus far) whilst subtly cracking the whip and having creativity in improving some of the core (yes soft underbelly) problems. Oh my how 2012-2020 has been a bumpy slippery slope

footy75

Bench
Hopefully we don’t have one eye on Anzac Day. We should throw everything into this one. We have to get our wins when they are available and at home without AFB they are very gettable, so long we don’t treat them as though they are. This is one of the most important games of the season to me. It is our chance to have a rest and let a game slip. Will we take it or keep the fire alive?

I agree... this is seriously one of the most important games of the season even though it isn't a blockbuster.

A win totally sets up the season... a loss and its back to mediocrity.

Should not even be thinking about ANZAC day for one second atm.

Juniors
Just watched the boys at the run. running through set plays and kicks we had a bit of the dropsy. mccullough drilling kicks to the south western corner and is was said that this will be a tactic to keep the ball away from rts. dufty doing a bit of grappling drills off the ground and he can kick a field goal. A lot of love between the players even the coaching staff. Maguire looks like his elbow ailment has healed doing pad work with vaughan. A very relaxed but confident vibe amongst the squad. Norman getting some good ball twist with his bombs. Dragons by 13+

possm

Coach
Just watched the boys at the run. running through set plays and kicks we had a bit of the dropsy. mccullough drilling kicks to the south western corner and is was said that this will be a tactic to keep the ball away from rts. dufty doing a bit of grappling drills off the ground and he can kick a field goal. A lot of love between the players even the coaching staff. Maguire looks like his elbow ailment has healed doing pad work with vaughan. A very relaxed but confident vibe amongst the squad. Norman getting some good ball twist with his bombs. Dragons by 13+
I will keep an eye out for some of this during the game. I sure hope that the Warrior's coaching staff are not reading your post and do not have this info.

blacksafake

First Grade
birdj-try-210411_bc_ab2w8216_2021411183551.jpg

DRAGONS

The simple philosophy behind Dragons' top-four rise
Author
Brad Walter & Troy Whittaker
Timestamp
Sat 17 Apr 2021, 10:01 AM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra players prepare to play for up to 90 minutes and expect they will only have the ball for five minutes each match.

It's part of Dragons coach Anthony Griffin's mantra of playing for each other and be prepared to do whatever it takes that has led to the team climbing into the top four after four consecutive wins.

On the eve of Sunday's match against the Warriors at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, St George Illawarra players spoke about some of the reasons behind their stunning turnaround after being humbled by South Sydney in the Charity Shied and beaten by Cronulla in round one.

"We're building nicely as a team. Our focus is team-first," fullback Matt Dufty said. "We're '75 minutes without the ball' and doing your job for your teammate.

"I think it's been a real good platform for the boys to build off. You're playing for something more than yourself and you're playing for the other 17 people out there."

Griffin told his players to prepare as if they'll only have the ball for a few minutes per game. He also told them they need to be ready for every game to go to golden point extra time.

remote.axd

"We plan to go for 90 minutes, it is just the mentality we have," said forward Trent Merrin, who this week will make his 250th appearance across the NRL and Super League, just a week after celebrating his milestone 150th game for the Dragons.

"If it goes past the 80 minutes, we are ready to go 90 minutes and do whatever it takes. We are prepared to keep defending sets, put our bodies where they don't want to go and keep working for each other."

St George Illawarra players had overcome 10 six-again calls and the sin-binning of second-rower Tariq Sims in last weekend's 26-12 defeat of the previously unbeaten Eels at Bankwest Stadium.

Dufty said the Dragons' scrambling defence was due to the camaraderie and attitude developed in the pre-season under Griffin, while teammates revealed that the new coach barely spoke to them about football.

"Hook has been driving it since day one of pre-season," Dufty said. "Even when we were doing laps around the oval, just ridiculous kilometres, he was saying 'you find that extra metre, that extra second in the time for your teammate – don't worry about yourself'.

"If you're thinking about yourself, then you're letting your teammates down. I think everyone really bought into it and I think you can tell out there [on the field] by our scramble.

"Maybe last year we wouldn't have done it – or we would have – but this year, there's a real focus on that if someone gets beaten it's not their fault, it's the other people's fault that they weren't there to help them out.

"Having a real focus on team-first is something that's been a really big stepping stone for me as well. It's good to go out there and think about it. It makes you a lot calmer because you know you're doing it for your teammates."

remote.axd

Star centre Zac Lomax said about one per cent of his conversations with Griffin were about football and the rest about life.

"The best thing about Hook is he's a great fella and person before he's a coach," Lomax said. "You can talk to him about anything. Football comes last to him – the person comes first.

"I've clicked really quickly with Hook, I've taken so much away from him, more as a person and understanding life in general.

"Once you cross that stripe at training it's a hundred per cent footy, he brings the best out of you, but it's all about being a good person first. We're fortunate enough to be football players but we're people first and foremost."

Forward Josh Kerr said Griffin had taken an interest in his family and life away from the NRL.

Griffin had also challenged him to put on weight and make the transition from the middle to the second row.

"When we went to Townsville we had a connecting flight in Brisbane and my parents came to airport to see me. He wanted to come down to meet them," Kerr said. "He had a good chat with my old man and he does really care about the person you are off the field.

"He knows when to coach you and when to be a mentor to you. He is really good like that. He's all for having a laugh at training but he gives you the hard word. He's given me a few hard words, I'll tell you that.

"One of the best things Hook has done for me is make me realise I can do a lot of things I thought I couldn't do.

"Manly was my first 80-minute game and it was crazy. Being 118 kilos and playing 80 minutes in the back row, I didn't think I'd be able to do that but I have."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/17/the-simple-philosophy-behind-dragons-top-four-rise/
Terrific article,
Thanks Smarty

The thing I liked in the Coaches preview is he talks about the crowd but putting on a good brand of footy for the supporters. I think this speaks a lot that they don’t simply want to win but he wants the fans to be proud of the footy team and the style of play.
Much better than the utter Sh!t we have listened too the past few years.