What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Warriors

possm

Coach
The Warriors shaded us on Sunday and deserved to win.
3 tries a piece and we hit the lead only to relinquishing it late in the game - was a pretty fair effort.
Warriors completion rate was out of this world and Lomax, uncharacteristically missed a few shots at goals.
The important thing for me was the effort and resilience that was on show again.
I hate losing but if we are going to lose, leaving everything out there is good enough for me.
I thought the ref. played a massive role and could have easily penalized or sin binned the Warriors close to their line but chose not to.
Could have made all the difference.
Dufty has been consistent throughout his career. Rocks and diamonds with only marginal improvement evident.
Would live to see young Ramsey play fullback at some stage. He seems very safe under the high ball and has a defensive instinct the Dufty lacks.
Make no mistake, the Warriors are a very good side and we were very competitive and could have easily won..
Well I though we got a raw deal from the ref., especilly with the 10m in defence rule. To me the Warriors were off side all day and that ruined our attack.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Well I though we got a raw deal from the ref., especilly with the 10m in defence rule. To me the Warriors were off side all day and that ruined our attack.
Hey Possm your right they stood off side he saw it and did nothing that’s the frustration. He reffed us only, And laying all over us in the last 10 minutes good ole leg pull/drag he saw it, 6 again or penalty for continued ruck infringements. As fellow members have stated Refs control who wins unfortunately. And the bunker what a f########## joke.

Dragon David

First Grade
With the new rules being brought in to make the game more entertaining and faster and the 6 again rule to be used instead of blowing penalties, I'm wondering if any one who has been doing some statistics has worked out that the combined penalties plus 6 agains a team gets in a game is more than the usual penalties only before the 6 again came in? Also, if the 6 again rule applies to the off side 10 metre rule, the ref is the only one to give this ruling to give a 6 again. You say Possm that the Warriors were off side all day and yet we were not given 6 again for the off side. It is a pity that there is no technology or that a side cannot challenge the off side "penalty" because refs can please themselves whenever it suits them to give 6 again for the supposed infringement.

Surely the linesman can keep an eye on off side play as well or negate the ref making the call or something to that effect?

I know most of the time the refs are doing their best to control the games but if there is some unfairness being done to teams by the refs, who of course should not have any bias whatsoever, then the fans for those teams should well and truly be aggrieved.

possm

Coach
With the new rules being brought in to make the game more entertaining and faster and the 6 again rule to be used instead of blowing penalties, I'm wondering if any one who has been doing some statistics has worked out that the combined penalties plus 6 agains a team gets in a game is more than the usual penalties only before the 6 again came in? Also, if the 6 again rule applies to the off side 10 metre rule, the ref is the only one to give this ruling to give a 6 again. You say Possm that the Warriors were off side all day and yet we were not given 6 again for the off side. It is a pity that there is no technology or that a side cannot challenge the off side "penalty" because refs can please themselves whenever it suits them to give 6 again for the supposed infringement.

Surely the linesman can keep an eye on off side play as well or negate the ref making the call or something to that effect?

I know most of the time the refs are doing their best to control the games but if there is some unfairness being done to teams by the refs, who of course should not have any bias whatsoever, then the fans for those teams should well and truly be aggrieved.
A digital grid layer could be super imposed over the broadcasted video and from there it can be made certain if players are off side very quickly. The bundker already checks for off side when a try is scored but no body is checking the refs call for off side when a 6 again is called.

On a related matter. It is the players who are paying for the quicker game through what could end up being an unhealthy fatigue. If the NRL want a faster game for the spectators and broadcasters then they should take care that players are not excessively fatigued.

My suggestion is:

• The bench number be increased to 10.
  • When a player comes off for any reason he stays off.
  • The players on the bench must have played reserve grade prior to the game; even if that means last week because the reserve grade match for the round is scheduled to be played after the first grade game.

The above measures would take care of fatigue and HAI. It would also take care of cheating like seen in round 6 committed by the Storm and Munster. It would also have the unintended effect of giving the reserve grade players more exposure to first grade. Under this rule the coach could select both forwards and backs on the bench.

I see no downside to such a rule.

BLM01

First Grade
The Warriors shaded us on Sunday and deserved to win.
3 tries a piece and we hit the lead only to relinquishing it late in the game - was a pretty fair effort.
Warriors completion rate was out of this world and Lomax, uncharacteristically missed a few shots at goals.
The important thing for me was the effort and resilience that was on show again.
I hate losing but if we are going to lose, leaving everything out there is good enough for me.
I thought the ref. played a massive role and could have easily penalized or sin binned the Warriors close to their line but chose not to.
Could have made all the difference.
Dufty has been consistent throughout his career. Rocks and diamonds with only marginal improvement evident.
Would live to see young Ramsey play fullback at some stage. He seems very safe under the high ball and has a defensive instinct the Dufty lacks.
Make no mistake, the Warriors are a very good side and we were very competitive and could have easily won..
And the Warriors have a fair few injuries and players out for that game as well

Dragon David

First Grade
A digital grid layer could be super imposed over the broadcasted video and from there it can be made certain if players are off side very quickly. The bundker already checks for off side when a try is scored but no body is checking the refs call for off side when a 6 again is called.

On a related matter. It is the players who are paying for the quicker game through what could end up being an unhealthy fatigue. If the NRL want a faster game for the spectators and broadcasters then they should take care that players are not excessively fatigued.

My suggestion is:

• The bench number be increased to 10.
  • When a player comes off for any reason he stays off.
  • The players on the bench must have played reserve grade prior to the game; even if that means last week because the reserve grade match for the round is scheduled to be played after the first grade game.

The above measures would take care of fatigue and HAI. It would also take care of cheating like seen in round 6 committed by the Storm and Munster. It would also have the unintended effect of giving the reserve grade players more exposure to first grade. Under this rule the coach could select both forwards and backs on the bench.

I see no downside to such a rule.
Yes, the digital grid layer or something akin to this would be beneficial, but the problem is, how would it be "policed" and who does the checking and how long would it take to give the decision? I agree that the bench numbers be increased to off set fatigue and burn out but I think V'Landys wants it to be the survival of the fittest. I wonder whether or not that before these new rules were implemented that the medicos were consulted or if they are being consulted every week to see if these new rules are justified from a medical point of view?

possm

Coach
Yes, the digital grid layer or something akin to this would be beneficial, but the problem is, how would it be "policed" and who does the checking and how long would it take to give the decision? I agree that the bench numbers be increased to off set fatigue and burn out but I think V'Landys wants it to be the survival of the fittest. I wonder whether or not that before these new rules were implemented that the medicos were consulted or if they are being consulted every week to see if these new rules are justified from a medical point of view?
You'd think that the NRL could put extra staff in the bunker to take care of this. They could prompt the ref. when off side occurs.

At the end of the day, the ref could be judged on how many mistakes he made during a game; including his off side rullings.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Griffin should also rethink the short dropout tactic. Yes blind Freddy should have known to go long when we were only two ahead but given the fact that we did it twice against Parramatta last week and once earlier in the game against the Warriors, tends to suggest that both Norman and our new coach are to blame.
Every team will be doing short drop outs pretty soon, a 50/50 shot at possession for the cost of about 10 metres....a no brainer just as in Rugby Union. It is so NOT the reason that game was lost but perhaps Bird falling off a tackle of their best player may have had a little to do with it.

BLM01

First Grade
We had our fair share out as well; Hunt, Lawrie, De Belin .... Would we have won with these 3 players on the field? I'd say yes.
Warriors had more and you can’t count JDB he has not played for 2.5 yrs
AFB, CHT, EA, DF, Hiku injured after 6 mins
Probably missed another forward and back

Maddragon99

Juniors
Dufty rocks and diamonds again. Makes two mistakes, one leads directly to a try and another sees another try scored in the following set. Mind you he wasn’t the only one who made mistakes, Kerr dropped the ball cold two times when we were pressing in their quarter first or second tackle while Norman, Clune and Bird missed a number of tackles and this is a concern. So Dufty scored a brilliant try and set up another. He provided one directly to the Warriors and gave the Warriors the ball following a mistake which saw a try scored minutes later. What do we do? Supposedly he has scored 5 tries in six games and also has another 5 try assists. What Griffin might be able to do is work on trying to get him to recognise when he should jump for the ball or not. He was always going to drop that last bomb because he ran forward to jump above and across on rushing players. Watching it was like slow motion in that I was saying “NO!!!!!!” before he touched it. He will score tries for us and other sides all year. If the Fox figures are right he has had a hand in 10 tries for us and has made mistakes that have led to four tries for the opposition. Arrghh
I think Dufty baring injury will be our Fullback for the remainder of the season. But it’s what Hook has planned for 2022 that has me interested.

kit66

Bench
I finally got to watch the match and honestly it's hard to be critical of the teams efforts. Sure there's a couple of areas we need to fix but there was a lot to like still. Our defence was first rate given the opposition's completing 40 sets without a break / error and 5 penalties and 4 6 agains we gave them. Our line speed was still there and our scrambling and cover defence thwarted the Warriors attack many times, Alvaro, Kerr and Fui worked their arses off.
In attack we were given few chances again getting nothing from the Warriors and less from the ref than we should have ( especially in the last 5 minutes ). When we did get a break in the form of a penalty or 6 again we punished them with some breaks and with tries.
You can't take anything away from the Warriors, that was a massive effort from them but imagine if Storm or Penrith had 40/40 sets against you. I think our boys can hold their heads high and those critical of Norman should re-watch the game and actually measure the value of his kicks getting us out of trouble time after time as well as some great defence and organization.

Areas to fix - bringing the ball back from a kick. The Warriors were smart enough not to kick to Rav who runs the ball like a cement truck, instead kicking to Dufty and Cody who barely make any metres running the ball out and certainly never get over the advantage line. This means we get no momentum to start our sets. Plus they're still letting the ball bounce on occasion. Not sure of the solution apart from substitution.

Kicking game - while I applaud Norman's long kicks, when we're closer to opposition's try line I think a few more grubbers in goal for repeat sets are crucial in the new game. I like the kicks to Kerr and Zac, when they're on - some of those will pay dividends this year.
Short kick offs - we've done 5 or 6 and handed at least one try to the opposition and got a good result just once so far. If we don't have more good results soon they might want to put that to bed or save it for desperate situations.
Making metres - we've lost the meterage stats 6 games out of 6 so far and I think it's got to do with our depth in attack and our play the ball speed ( also the aforementioned lack of punch / momentum from Dufty and Cody ). I see many times our forwards playing shallow and getting hit almost as soon as they get the ball. Players like Kerr and Sims should be hitting top speed when they get the ball but they're not, so no leg drive when they hit the line. We need to pick that up, fight harder to play the ball fast and have a bit more depth with lots of bodies in motion - Storm and Penrith do that really well and just run riot over their opponents.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I finally got to watch the match and honestly it's hard to be critical of the teams efforts. Sure there's a couple of areas we need to fix but there was a lot to like still. Our defence was first rate given the opposition's completing 40 sets without a break / error and 5 penalties and 4 6 agains we gave them. Our line speed was still there and our scrambling and cover defence thwarted the Warriors attack many times, Alvaro, Kerr and Fui worked their arses off.
In attack we were given few chances again getting nothing from the Warriors and less from the ref than we should have ( especially in the last 5 minutes ). When we did get a break in the form of a penalty or 6 again we punished them with some breaks and with tries.
You can't take anything away from the Warriors, that was a massive effort from them but imagine if Storm or Penrith had 40/40 sets against you. I think our boys can hold their heads high and those critical of Norman should re-watch the game and actually measure the value of his kicks getting us out of trouble time after time as well as some great defence and organization.

Areas to fix - bringing the ball back from a kick. The Warriors were smart enough not to kick to Rav who runs the ball like a cement truck, instead kicking to Dufty and Cody who barely make any metres running the ball out and certainly never get over the advantage line. This means we get no momentum to start our sets. Plus they're still letting the ball bounce on occasion. Not sure of the solution apart from substitution.

Kicking game - while I applaud Norman's long kicks, I think a few more grubbers in goal for repeat sets are crucial in the new game. I like the kicks to Kerr and Zac, when they're on - some of those will pay dividends this year.
Short kick offs - we've done 5 or 6 and handed at least one try to the opposition and got a good result just once so far. If we don't have more good results soon they might want to put that to bed or save it for desperate situations.
Making metres - we've lost the meterage stats 6 games out of 6 so far and I think it's got to do with our depth in attack and our play the ball speed ( also the aforementioned lack of punch / momentum from Dufty and Cody ). I see many times our forwards playing shallow and getting hit almost as soon as they get the ball. Players like Kerr and Sims should be hitting top speed when they get the ball but they're not, so no leg drive when they hit the line. We need to pick that up, fight harder to play the ball fast and have a bit more depth with lots of bodies in motion - Storm and Penrith do that really well and just run riot over their opponents.
Nice synopsis. In the end the game was a leveller, showed us we still have a lot of work to do to be a genuine top 4 team.

Mjab

Juniors

I like the fatigue and the changes it then brings to the game
In the old days , not that long ago, I think you only got 1-2 replacements and that was it , once off you were gone
Small nimble players then caused havoc eg Slippery Morris and Co, it was good to watch

I understand they cant really have busted players playing like they used to
But I do like the fatigue being brought in

Latest posts