What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7: Penrith Vs Sharks

Mr BuLLdOgS

Juniors
Penrith Vs Sharks

Game Thread

Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles). Any other posts will result in loss of points.

**Referee Blows Game On!**

Full Time: Wednesday 30th July, 2003. 9:00PM AEST

Referee: Mystique

Big Mick

Referee
1. Lewis
2. Maelgwnau c
3. Paul The Cowboy
4. Theirry Henry
5. JOBPS

6. Buzz Boy
7. big mick
8. Bedsy
9. Nibbletjones
10. Justin

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
Penrith Panthers #3 Paul-The-Cowboy
741 words including the title.

A sad goodbye and an emotional welcome home

It was inevitable that the legendary “Leyther” would return home to finish his career at Leigh one day. After being told his contract wasn’t to be renewed, Saints fans were eagerly awaiting Tommy Martyn’s return from injury to give him a big send off and savour his sensational skills for the remainder of the season.
On his return from an arm injury Tommy put in an amazing performance against Warrington, only to be ruled out with a broken arm for 12 weeks. It was another cruel blow for Tommy after enduring a career full of painful and unlucky injuries. Injuries that included reconstructions on both of his smashed knees years ago, missing last year’s Grand Final with a hand injury and many an operation over the course of his career. Despite his injuries, Tommy defied his critics to become one of Knowsley Road’s biggest legends and earn the tag of the greatest ever player never to play for Great Britain.
In 1996, Tommy Martyn’s heroics from the subs bench after a wretched run of injuries made him notoriously known as “super sub” by rugby league commentator, Eddie Hemmings. Tommy was so much more than a sub though and he soon eased himself back into the first team. The controversial departure of impressive youngster, Lee Briers and notorious troublemaker, Bobbie Goulding, saw the arrival of Sean Long to Knowsley Road. The arrival of Sean saw one of the, if not the, greatest halfback combination in Super League history. The duo’s amazing understanding of each other’s game guided St.Helens to a memorable season in which they defied the odds to defeat arch-rivals Wigan in the Grand Final. The duo, who had both rebuilt their career following serious injuries, finished top of the try scoring charts.
2001 saw Tommy add a World Club Championship medal to his Super League rings and Challenge Cup victories. Tommy had now done everything. Well nearly everything. Despite showing sparkling form throughout his career, injuries and bad luck meant he had never represented Great Britain. Many are saddened by this, believing he was the man who would have caused the Australians a lot of trouble and possibly even been that missing piece in the jigsaw to help Britain reclaim the Ashes.
However he did appear on the international stage a few times, representing Ireland a couple of times and gaining a place in Ireland’s World Cup 2000 squad. Unfortunately one of his very serious knee injuries came wearing the green jersey in the number 6 shirt back in the mid-90’s. His bad luck of injuries in the number 6 shirt for both St.Helens and Ireland, including two badly smashed knees, saw him refuse to wear the number 6 shirt. Instead he wore the number 20 for St.Helens. Many want this squad number to be retired as a tribute to Tommy’s services, it is the shirt number that everyone will remember him by.
It’s hard to believe that Tommy was on the verge of leaving in the off season of 2000 (many believe to Wigan) during the Ellery Hanley era due to the, later to prove disastrous, arrival of Tricky Trindall. Fate intervened though and the sacking of Hanley saw Ian Millward come to the reign and Tommy reinstated to the first team, finishing joint top scorer with Sean Long.
Martyn is held in such high regard by Saints fans that he his known to them as “Tommy God”. He has given Saints fans so many special memories, including the “foot of God” incident, a last minute, match winning hat-trick away at Wigan in 2000, and an absolute miracle pass thrown to Peter Shiels to break the deadlock in the 19-0 Easter Monday thriller last season.
News of his departure brought tears to a lot of hardened, grown men’s eyes. I speak on behalf of all Saints fans when I say that we are so happy that he’s finally gone to his hometown club. It means so much to Leigh fans and Tommy that he’s there. He made his comeback from injury and debut for Leigh yesterday, setting up numerous tries, throwing incredible passes and kicking many 40-20’s. The Leigh fans finally got to see him in the red and white hoops.
The term “legend” is often used lightly but there’s no doubt Tommy Martyn is just that. There’s a lot of emotion in his move, tearful goodbyes and ecstatic welcome home’s.

_1008218_tommymartyn300.jpg

maelgwnau

Juniors
#2 Maelgwnau Penrith Panthers - Captain

The Wanderer

It's Taken Six Clubs and Six Seasons Of First Grade But John Carlaw Has Finally Found A Home At The Warriors.

Take a superficial glance at John Carlaw's footballing resume and it's hard to imagine any scope for refinement.

After all, the long-held mantra is that as a footballer hurtles towards age 30 - as 28-year-old Carlaw is doing - he is on a swift downhill run to retirement. An old dog isn't supposed to learn new tricks; especially when, like Carlaw, you have played 115 first grade games, traversed four cities in five years and been a foundation member at three clubs, two of which no longer exist. But, at the Warriors, Carlaw's Sixth NRL Club, the nomad they like to call JC has found not just a home, but a footballing classroom. The strapping three-quarter says he is playing the most consistent football of his career. It's a by-product of Warriors coach Daniel Anderson's holistic approach to coaching: There is always something to learn, an area to hone.

"I said to Daniel recently that i wished i learnt half the stuff I've learnt this year when i was younger because it would have helped me a great deal," Carlaw says. "When i was young i relied on my speed to cover up deficiencies i may have had, but my skill base is starting to grow, so I'm very grateful for what Daniel's done for me.
"The biggest diffrence this year is that I'm confident in my ability - knowledge breeds confidence and knowing so much more gives me confidence in my game".

When Carlaw Signed with the Warriors in 2001, Anderson made it clear he was a work in progress. Anderson had a fair regard for Carlaw: he saw him as a gifted athlete and that's why he swooped when the Wests Tigers, battling salary-cap constraints, squeezed Carlaw out. But Anderson also offered a few home truths. He told Carlaw his skill level was pretty average, as was his positioning in defence and tackiling technique. For the NSW Central Coast junior, such stinging critiques were hardly revelations. He carried the deficiencies like lead weights for most of his career. What he needed was the right coach to provide a footballing education. As a teenager growing up at Gosford, Carlaw mainly turned a blind eye to the game's finer points. He played the game because his mates did, and was showing potential in athletics as a long jumper.

"I was a pretty late starter, I was never really taught anything untill i was 20," says Carlaw, who was invited to trial for the knights in 1995. "That was my problem when I was young, I didn't have as great passion as other guys, I pretty much just cruised. "Earlier on in my career, I was once told by a coach, I won't name him, but I asked him what I needed to do to improve, and he told me: 'I don't have time to work with you, I have to focus on the team, not the individual'. "But i knew my attitude had to be changed as well. In the last year or so I've had the passion there and a desire to improve and suceed."

Anderson, for one, has been satisfied with his investment. Carlaw has missed just one game and become a reliable presence in the centres, a postion from which he was once shielded in a bid to hide his defensie flaw.

"I'm in the right club and in the right environment to win a premireship." says Carlaw, who will be the club's second oldest player behind Jerry Seuseu.

"I remember what Paul Marquet was like at the Mariners. He didn't like the outside backs, he felt he did all the work. But he went on to win 2 Premireships. I'm hoping if I work hard here, I can do the same"

Words: 652

~bedsy~

First Grade
#8 Bedsy Penrith Panthers
Why I have become so Passionate?
I thought I would look back at when I stated to follow Rugby Leauge. This was in 1996 when I had to see what all the fuss was about. It was a Knights vs Manly game. My whole family go for the Eagles. manly were the suprior team of 1996 they even went on to win the grandfinal that year.
I just liked the game of football that was being played and really didn't go for either side. Then I started to see more of Newcastle play. I thought that they looked like a pretty good team, plus I was born there, so I will go for them.
When 1997 came around I never really watched any games, just wanted them to go well. Never had a favorite player. All I knew were Cheif, Matty and Joey. I even went to the movies the day of the grandfinal. But when I came home the look on my father and brothers face was priceless. They couldn't shut their mouths. Mum came in thinking "Oh Manly have so won this" She couldn't believe it either. But me.. I had one of the Cheif's cheesy's on my face.
In 1998 I started to follow them even more by getting to know the rules, players names and all the teams. Then in doing this I enjoyed it heaps more. However in this year I disscovered my enemy teams... The Brisbane Broncos and Cantabry-Bankstown Bulldogs. My brother, mother and fatheralso hate these teams. Also during this time my father started buying me flags and t-shirts.
By 1999 I was right into football and would have loved to have gone to a game. However living in Tamworth, working and doing year 11 was pretty hard to do. So I would not even have time to watch games, having to work all weekend. I couldn't have even told you were Newcastle came on the ladder.
In 2000 it was pretty much the same, except I was doing my HSC. I would be following their progress to see if they had been winning, were they were on the ladder and so fourth. I started to get more things like T-shirts, another flag, mini footy and sticker for my car. I also started to draw players.
In 2001 I got more into as I was just working. I remember though that this was the year I found my favorite player. Danny Buderus. I thought he was playing just great, I could see some great talent in him. So i would watch him play every weekand though "his my fave player". I thought 2001 was going to be a terrible year for Newcastle, with Joey out and losing all those games. That's when I realised how passonaite I had become. I was so worried that Newcastle had nothing. Then to everybodies surpirse they came back and got through to the grandfinal. I was so excited.
Nobody had given them a chance as they were up against Parramatta, the minor premiers. Newcastle have never been favorites in both grandfinals. But to their credit they went out in true Novocastrain style and made sure they would get that trophey for the second time.
In 2002 we wanted to see back to back and didn't they start out in style. 11 consecutive wins, a record for Newcastle. This as the first time I had gone to a match and it was between Newcastle and the Bronco's in Newcastle. It was one of the best games I had ever seen, I enjoyed it so much. I lost my voice and mum saw a whole new side of me. unfortunatly through injuries it wasn't Newcastle's trun that year.
My passion for my team has only come in the last couple of years. but it will stay with my forever. This year I have moved to Newcastle and have only missed one game. There are plenty of other teams out there with just as or more passionate than me. But I love New, I love New, I love my Newcastle Knights.

709 words.

Anonymous

Juniors
Thierry Henry-Panthers

2003 Warriors- second year syndrome?

Most sports fans know the cliché of the brilliant rookie who is unable to repeat the heroics of his debut season in his sophomore year. This supposed second year syndrome is just as prevalent in rugby league as anywhere else, with Tasesa Lavea a recent rookie of the year winner who all but disappeared off the rugby league radar before returning to New Zealand to trial for the Auckland NPC team in that other rugby code.

In recent years, a similar fate has seemingly befallen NRL grand-finalists. No team has made back-to-back grand finals in the post-Super League era. In the five years immediately before Super League, at least one of the previous seasons grand finalists made a repeat trip in every year except 1994. From 1992-1996, there were only five different grand-finalists. From 1998-2002, there were eight. St George-Illawarra and Melbourne have rarely looked like genuine title-threats since their 1999 thriller. The Roosters made the 2000 final before slumping to 7th in 2001. Parramatta provides perhaps the best example of a grand-finalist slumping the following year. Early in 2002 it seemed they were capable of repeating their groundbreaking 2001 season, but their slide between mid 2002 and mid 2003 was about as sharp as could be imagined. So, as a Warriors fan, I am understandably concerned. Are the Warriors falling victim to the NRL’s new second-year syndrome? Was 2002 a fluke, a blip on the radar not to be repeated in the near future? Or will the Warriors be like the Roosters, who were grand-finalists in 2000 and 2002, either side of a disappointing 2001?

Two of the leading lights for the 2002 Warriors were Kevin Campion and Ivan Cleary. Both were 30-something Australians, Campion regularly leading the tackle count, Cleary solid at fullback and an ace goal kicker, and both with immense experience. A number of critics suggested that the loss of these two players would have a very detrimental effect on the Warriors. Campion and Cleary provided a wealth of experience, and the general perception was that they were a calming influence in a team full of less experienced, but possibly more naturally talented players. Their departure could very conceivably be reason enough for a downfall in the Warrior’s fortunes.

However, it is hard for a Warrior’s fan to swallow what is essentially an excuse. The loss of Cleary in general play shouldn’t have hit the side too hard- Cleary, although a goal kicking ace, was a 31 year old journeyman who never played representative football and offered little attacking threat from the back. Brent Webb is almost certainly a more explosive attacking weapon, while the return of Kiwi international Monty Betham, who sat out most of 2002 after a knee reconstruction, should have largely covered Campion’s absence. Probably the biggest loss for the Warriors was Ali Lauiti’iti, the clubs 2002 player of the year, and possibly the most gifted forward in the NRL. The greatest difference between the Warriors thus far in 2003, and the 2002 team, is the surprising weakness of the attack. The successes of 2002 were built around electric attack, second phase play and offloading. So far this season, the Warriors rank a disappointing 10th in the NRL in points for, compared to third at the end of 2002. Clearly, the Warriors have not become the team that many predicted they would; overloaded with attacking talent but lacking in defensive steel. Goal-kicking is also a vital factor. In 2003 they have used no fewer than six goal-kickers as they have struggled to find a competent replacement for Cleary, who holds the record for most points in an NRL season.

Having said all this, the Warriors have still won 11 of 18 games. At the same stage last year they had won 13. On the surface it seems that fans have little to complain about. Lauiti'iti is back, but the Warriors have suffered an even worse blow with an injury to Stacey Jones threatening to ruin their run in to the play-offs, and perhaps see them missing the top 8 altogether. The proof will be in the pudding over the next few weeks, and the Warriors have had a happy knack in recent years of beating the big guns- something they will need to do in upcoming games against Brisbane and the Roosters. Unless the likes of Lauiti'iti can find some of their 2002 form, 2003 could be a year to forget for the Warriors.

745 words

Big Mick

Referee
SUBSTITUTION: BIg Mick in for JOBPS... I want a part of this historic match!

Big Mick, #5 Penrith Panthers

On a Wing and a Prayer

With the Rugby World Cup looming in the later half of 2003, John O'Neil and the tweed jacket brigade down at union headquarters are hoping to entice Aussie league fans to their sport's showpiece tournament with names and faces that ring a bell to the average supporter.

Over the past few seasons the ARU have conducted an aggressive recruitment campaign, signing popular league players who they believe can make an impact through both on and off the field performances.

Do the NRL supremos at Fox Studios have anything to worry about?

Union's early foray into league waters snared them names such as Ryan, Thorn and Walker. While Walker has represented his country successfully on the field he hasn't exactly enamoured himself in the public's eye, after going AWOL whilst in a Wallaby training camp. Ryan and Walker haven't attained the status they possessed in rugby league since swapping codes, with generally lacklustre performances.

Former Sharks sensation, Matt Rogers, has been a success in his first season of Union and Bronco Lote Tuqiri has showed promising signs in his first appearances. Wendell Sailor has taken longer to adjust to the nuances of union but is tipped to improve and it will only be a matter of time before Nathan Blacklock 'hits it big' in union.

Starting to notice a pattern? The successful converts are wingers. This would not worry Broncos captain Gorden Tallis. The Queensland and Australian league representative has a penchant for the saying that “league wingers are just guys that like to hang around with footballers”.

And it seems that there’s a brand new bunch of guys itching to hang around with footballers.

Fresh names like Irwin, Tahu, Walker, Lewis, Minichiello and Rieck are ready to “kick on” and become household names. Add some experienced heads like MacDougall, El Masri and Hopoate and you have a gaggle of skilled and promising guys who will chalk up dozens of tries before you can say “state of origin jersey”.

The wing position seems to be the most sought after position for youngsters to initiate themselves in the top echelon of the game. Last year’s NRL stats suggest that the wing offers an opportunity for on field experience with minimal workload.

So how much extra mileage does rugby union get out of their star recruits from league?

They get a few extra spots on the sports segment of the evening news. The recent rugby sevens in Brisbane got fair coverage in New South Wales, almost exclusively because Lote Tuqiri made his union debut and made a huge impact on the team.

Compare this coverage to the league's sevens, extensively covered by the newspapers, bestowed one hour's coverage by Channel Nine, with dozens of news stories on television and extensive radio coverage. Not bad for a pre-season 'touch footy' competition.

The ARU may feel that by recruiting star players like Tuqiri, Sailor and Rogers, they will attract supporters from league with them. Unfortunately, they could not be more wrong, summed up by an old saying, “once a league supporter, always a league supporter”. It seems that the ARU are only targeting wingers in the hope of strengthening their game. This merely compliments the game of rugby league as it proves that league is far superior in developing world-class wingers.

While union gets more coverage through their recruitment tactics, it still has a long way to go until it captures the heart of league fans. Theirs may be the “game they play in heaven”, but it would seem that their “on a wing and a prayer” approach may be not what it seems.

Words: 599

Beaver_Online

Juniors
Beaver_Online – Posting for The Sharks #2

Full? Empty?

“Our team is crap…we have gone backwards in 2003.” – Manly fan, www.mightyeagles.com.au

Like Spring, the end 2003 Rugby League season is edging closer and for fans of 5 NRL teams, it would appear that the remaining five rounds will offer little more than watching your team run out, try a few new ideas, blood a few young players and emerge as nuisance value for teams vying for top 8 positions.

Manly fans – arguably the most demanding and results driven fans in the rugby league (probably as a result of 5 premierships in 30 years and double that in appearances in Grand Finals) – seem to think that 2003 has been a dud.

In fact, Cronulla and Parramatta fans would probably also be scratching their heads thinking what went wrong in 2003. Actually, Cronulla fans have been baying for the blood of Chris Anderson.

St George – described this week in The Daily Telegraph as “perennial under achievers” have had the critics and (probably) fans asking a question or two as well about the clubs performance, despite them being in the hunt for the finals.

But while the likes of Sea Eagles, Eels and Cronulla fans are asking the question of “what went wrong for our club in 2003?” the question that often gets over looked, is what went right for other teams in 2003?

Q. Why did our team perform below our expectations in 2003?
A. Probably because other teams performed above expectations in 2003.

Rugby League season 2003 has been a revelation – both good and bad – for several rugby league clubs.

The first tier revelations for 2003 are the Penrith Panthers and the Canberra Raiders. While the Raiders limped into the Finals in 2002, thanks to the results of two other games in the final round, the Panthers finished well outside of the top 8. Dramatic improvements by both teams over 2003 have seen both teams jettison to the top of the ladder 5 weeks out from the finals.

So Manly, Eels and Cronulla fans what happened to your team in 2003?? I give you Penrith and Canberra.

The second round of ‘wow-factors’ of the year would undoubtedly be Melbourne and North Queensland…while the Cowboys are at long odds to make the finals in 2003, their performances to date have certainly outshone those of Manly and Cronulla this year. And as for Melbourne – realistically amongst the hot favourites for cellar-dwelling in 2003 but expected to finish ahead of Souths and Wests-Tigers, they have been inspirational in 2003, considering their roster ravaged by injury and players playing out of position.

So when Cronulla, Manly and Parramatta fans scratch their heads and wonder why their teams had a ‘dud’ (not my term) 2003, I give you Melbourne to consider.

I sincerely believe that good things have happened to all clubs in 2003, but particularly for those teams that are outside the 8.

For Parramatta fans, Matt Petersen has been a real find and stepped up to first grade with 12 tries so far this season and as for Michael Witt – um Eels fans…a tip – a future representative player in the making.

Down in the Shire, there hasn’t been much to get the dorsal fins flapping…except perhaps for the emergence of Phil Bailey as a real find in the centers and a representative player in his first full year of first grade rugby league. You could also have done a lot worse had the workhorse rate of Danny Nutley failed to transpire.

And up on the northern beaches, Sea Eagles fans should be preening the feathers for 2004 with try scoring machine Scott Donald bagging 16 four-pointers and Chad Randall set to follow in the footsteps of his legendary father.

While 2003 has been ‘disappointing’ perhaps for these three clubs, I think the season hasn’t seen these teams slip throughout the year, it is more a case that others have improved dramatically.

Good things have happened for these clubs throughout the year, despite their current position on the rugby league ladder…the problem with many fans is that they see the schooner of beer half empty rather than half full.

Words: About 700

Mystique

Juniors
Panthers

Paul the Cowboy - A Sad Goodbye and an Emotional Welcome Home 9.0
Very well written retrospective on Tommy Martyn and the end of his injury plagued career.

Maelgwnau – The Wanderer 8.7
Excellent, professional quality article about John Carlaw. Good use of quotes from Carlaw to underline the point of the article.

Bedsy - Why I have become so passionate 8.2
When people write from the heart, from their own experience, it’s always an interesting read.

Theirry Henry - 2003 Warriors- second year syndrome? 9.3
Henry’s analysis of the failure of both clubs and players to follow up on high achieving seasons is well thought out and beautifully articulated.

Big Mick – On a Wing and A Prayer 8.9
Union targeting wingers to poach in order to boost the game’s profile? Say it isn’t so! Big Mick tells us why it isn’t going to sway a dedicated league supporter. Excellent analysis; good point, well argued.

TOTAL 44.1

Sharks

Beaver_Online – Full? Empty? 9.1
Reasons to look on the bright side. Good article and an interesting perspective.

TOTAL: 9.1

The match goes to the Panthers

Penrith 44.1 v 9.1 Sharks

Poster of the Round: Thierry Henry for the Panthers

Big Mick

Referee
Good Game guys, pitty the sharks couldn't get anyone to play other than one, its a shame.

But well played guys a deserved win and a great send off for the acting captain Maelgwnau.

WELL DONE to all the players, not one score below 8.2 fantastic! and congrats to Paul and theirry for getting 9's, excellant stuff, lets carry this type of form into the finals and the next game against the roosters. Good solid performance team, well done.

Big Mick

Referee
Yeah well it was a re-hash of an article I wrote when forum sevens was on rleague. I was in desperate need of an article so i put it in again.

Latest posts