What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Saturday 21st April v Raiders @ Central coast stadium

Rabbits20

Immortal
Just read Whitehead was charged. But will loose no game time with an early guilty plea.
Only charged for the atom thing.

Not charged for his shoulder charge on AJ whilst he was in mid air!

Bullshit it is!

Sam's was the same as what Jackson did the other week!

But it guess Sam is a repeat offender so yeah take the 2 weeks!

Travitoh

First Grade
Whitehead made no contact with a head. Cheap shots but not ban worthy.

Sam went in with a swinging arm and collected Sezer around the ears. Had he hit him with his shoulder in an attempt to tackle then I'd see it differently. Intentional or not, he still went in to hit with a complete disregard for the opposing players welfare. It was reckless, uncontrolled and an effort to hurt the opponent.

The head must be protected and the onus is on everyone who takes the field to do so.

The only difference between Sam on Sezer and Soliola on Slater is Sezer got up.

Travitoh

First Grade
Anyway, Elliott Whitehead is irrelevant so there is no point carrying on about it. He's been charged and will be a few dollars lighter.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Sam went in with a swinging arm and collected Sezer around the ears. Had he hit him with his shoulder in an attempt to tackle then I'd see it differently. Intentional or not, he still went in to hit with a complete disregard for the opposing players welfare. It was reckless, uncontrolled and an effort to hurt the opponent.

The head must be protected and the onus is on everyone who takes the field to do so.

Jackson's was ugly too and he got off

I'm fine with the grade 2 charge but just saying!

Travitoh

First Grade
Jackson's was ugly too and he got off

I'm fine with the grade 2 charge but just saying!

Jackson should've been done for the same reason's I've outlined with Sam. But again, not our problem.
The fact that Sam puts himself in these positions is the problem. I'm of the belief that a swinging arm should always be punished.

What about his shoulder charge on AJ in mid air at 18-6??

Penalty which was given. I thought he got caught in two minds about what to do.

doyen

Bench
Sam was lucky--he got off lightly considering the incident & his record!

His rap sheet is not good-----since 2010 he's been charged 13 times including 6 tackle charges,a crusher,genital grabbing,chicken wing,shoulder charge,tripping,cannonball,raised elbow!!!On many occasions he escaped punishment.
Despite his below-average record before the judiciary he has only been outed for 10 wks total over that long period.

Rabbits20

Immortal

His rap sheet is not good-----since 2010 he's been charged 13 times including 6 tackle charges,a crusher,genital grabbing,chicken wing,shoulder charge,tripping,cannonball,raised elbow!!!On many occasions he escaped punishment.
Despite his below-average record before the judiciary he has only been outed for 10 wks total over that long period.
As Southy said, the fact Sezer was crouching helped his cause I think and as Sezer got up and got on with it!

Plus the fact they let Jackson off lightly meant the precedent has been set so they couldn't be too harsh on Sam.

What Jackson did with his high shot when the Dogs played Canberra was very similar to what Sam did Doyen. You probably didn't see it though as these days you just watch Souths games pretty much!

callmack1

Staff member
Yeah exactly. As you would know from playing rugby league it’s much easier to take a tackle when you’re ready for it. Your body is flexed and you know it’s coming. But when you get hit out of nowhere like that it hurts like a motherf**ker. Tom is gonna feel that this morning. He probably doesn’t deserve anything major over it but it was a massive blindside.

Whitehead shoulder charging AJ in the air was the biggest one I was shocked about. Seriously. 2 of the biggest no no’s in rugby league and wasn’t even charged.

You’re completely right about “malicious intent”. That’s exactly what needs to be considered when reviewing Sam. It wasn’t malicious in any way. It was just very poor timing. Every rugby league team has a player that goes in hard. It’s to try and rally the boys up and not trying to injure the opposition. Sam definitely deserves a week or 2 off but to sit out for 5 would just be outrageous.
Yep, 100% correct. You don't tend to get whiplash as bad either because your whole body is braced and ready for impact, being relaxed is obviously the complete opposite.

Thankfully, Sam will only get two weeks as I think he'd be stupid to fight the charge. I'm very happy with this outcome, stoked in fact as I thought he'd get 4-5 weeks knowing what the NRL is like with him.

I said it yesterday, but how good is Tommy B going! Is there a better prop in the comp right now? Yesterday: 160 metres made, 70 post contact metres, 2 tackle breaks, 0 errors, 1 missed tackle. Last week: 170 metres made, 60 post contact metres, 7 tackle breaks, 2 missed tackles, 0 errors.

Going great!
Tom is going great guns and I've been so, so impressed. He's got to be one of the most improved in the comp and actually, the same goes for George.

callmack1

Staff member
I'm actually really relieved with the outcome of these charges as it could've been much worse.

While this is true, I think that's just a sign of the aggression that Sam plays with, and this aggression is great if you ask me. Yes, there were some offences which were bad but most are just down to his aggression and passion.

It's this aggression that the rest of the pack feeds off and it fires the other boys up. It's kind of a baptisim of fire for Sam and he's bound to get it wrong sometimes, I can handle that because we need that aggression and that's just the type of champion player Sam is. Through this, he brings so, so much to the side.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yep, 100% correct. You don't tend to get whiplash as bad either because your whole body is braced and ready for impact, being relaxed is obviously the complete opposite.

Thankfully, Sam will only get two weeks as I think he'd be stupid to fight the charge. I'm very happy with this outcome, stoked in fact as I thought he'd get 4-5 weeks knowing what the NRL is like with him.

Tom is going great guns and I've been so, so impressed. He's got to be one of the most improved in the comp and actually, the same goes for George.
Consistency is now key for the twins!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'm actually really relieved with the outcome of these charges as it could've been much worse.

While this is true, I think that's just a sign of the aggression that Sam plays with, and this aggression is great if you ask me. Yes, there were some offences which were bad but most are just down to his aggression and passion.

It's this aggression that the rest of the pack feeds off and it fires the other boys up. It's kind of a baptisim of fire for Sam and he's bound to get it wrong sometimes, I can handle that because we need that aggression and that's just the type of champion player Sam is. Through this, he brings so, so much to the side.
Seibs will probably have a little chat to him though!

We were well on top and there wasn't a need to make a risky tackle that could go wrong like that at that stage of the game!

RAB-161

Juniors

I think you need to watch the tackle again.
Sam did not collect Sezer around the ears.
The point of contact was his chest and below. - The only part of Burgess' body which is anywhere near Sezers head is the very upper part of his arm near the shoulder where the swinging motion makes absolutely no difference.

In my opinion there was nothing wrong with the tackle and Sam Burgess has once again been penalised for playing the game too hard.

If you have an opportunity watch the tackle in freeze frame and I think you will change your opinion.

Latest posts