What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 - Titans vs Rabbitohs: Friday 23rd April 6pm @Cbus Super Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Righteo, time to shift focus and look towards the next game as we go up against the Titans on the Gold Coast this Friday night. It's a big week for us as it's a big step up in class from the previous few weeks (with no disrespect to those sides). The occasion is made even bigger as it's ANZAC Round, a very special week for everyone and ANZAC is often one of the more special Rounds of a year. We are celebrating it and remembering accordingly by going blue and wearing our special jersey to celebrate 100 years of the Royal Australian Air Force.

So yea, it's certainly going to be a tough game this week because as I said, the Gold Coast are a step up in class. I see them as a really good side this year no doubt. It's a good chance to see where we're at and I'm sure the Titans will see it the same way, as a good chance to test themselves. They'll be so fired up for this one I reckon, similar to what the Tigers were the other night. They're back in front of their home fans and coming off a very disappointing loss so the bounce back factor is there. Any side with Brimson, Don, Kelly, Taylor (I think he's nearing a return), Fogarty, Proctor and Fifita in it is going to be bloody tough to beat and it'll be bloody tough to contain all their big names so we must be on.

It's an interesting week for us too as we'll go into this one without Latrell and possibly Mansour too. If that is the case, then everyone has to step up and cover their absence. Latrell especially is a huge loss and I'm not sure how we'll go without him this year, we certainly have the players to cover but time will tell. Aside from that, we need to be better than what we were against the Tigers, less errors and more energy should be the focus of the week as well as keeping our defence tight to contain their big guns.

So yea, an interesting week, an exciting week. Very keen for Friday night as we look to hopefully paint the Gold Coast Red and Green....... oh, and blue this week! Haha.

Travitoh

First Grade
Big test for our edge forwards. We saw Leilua and Garner cause problems on Saturday night. Proctor and Fifita are international calibre edges.

GC also have a mobile athletic pack, they'll try to dictate the speed of the game and tire our big boys out in the middle.

This is a game that Souths should win though. GC are transitioning into a good team but they aren't there yet.

Travitoh

First Grade
Probably not going to happen but Benji at 1 with Hawkins coming onto the bench would be interesting.

It'll probably be AJ to FB with Paulo coming onto his wing.

callmack1

Staff member
From Fox Sports,

BUNNIES NEED TO GET TEMPERS UNDER CONTROL

Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett might need to get the temper of some of his biggest stars under control if they want to go all the way this year.

Superstar fullback Mitchell was slapped with a grade two dangerous contact (head/neck) charge after he hit Wests Tigers winger Nofoaluma high in Saturday’s thriller.

Mitchell is facing a three weeks on the sidelines with an early guilty plea or four if he fights the charge and is unsuccessful.

It wasn’t the only head-scratcher from Mitchell either. He was fined for two separate incidents involving Luke Garner. He kicked out of Garner’s grasp and narrowly missed his head and slid into Garner as he scored a try.

It’s a huge blow for the Bunnies who take on the Titans, Raiders and Storm over the next three weeks.

Mitchell’s ban comes just after star five-eighth Cody Walker returned from a ban of his own. Walker elbowed Bulldogs winger Nick Meaney in the back of the head in the annual Good Friday clash. He was also fined for purposely stepping on the ankle of Corey Waddell in the same game.

Assuming Mitchell takes the early guilty plea and misses three weeks, by Round 10 the Rabbitohs would have played four games without one of their most important players in Mitchell or Walker.

South Sydney are serious premiership contenders this year. With halfback Adam Reynolds likely to exit at season’s end, as well as Bennett stepping down, this could be their last chance for a couple of years to lift the Provan-Summons trophy. They can’t afford to lose their key men over silly antics.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted side for this week since there'll be a few changes,

1. Johnston
2. Paulo
3. Gagai
4. Graham
5. Mansour
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Burgess
9. Cook
10. Tatola
11. Koloamatangi
12. Su'A
13. Murray

14. Marshall
15. Nicholls
16. Host
17. Arrow

This is how I think the team will be named tomorrow afternoon. AJ to fullback, Jaxson onto the left wing to try and cover for Latrell. Sauce is in some doubt and may not play but I expect him to be named and given until kick off to prove his fitness. Keaon slots straight back into that left edge for mine which pushes Hosty to the bench and Knight out of the side. Host has had two really good weeks and deserves his spot I feel and Knight could benefit from having a few weeks in NSW Cup to fully get back up to speed.

However, call me crazy, call me stupid, say I know nothing about League; I don't care. But there is a slightly out there line up I am thinking may not be such a bad idea and the more I think about it, the more I like it. Cody to fullback, Benji to 6 and one of the young halves to 14 or we just play with four forwards on the bench. I know it sounds crazy but hear me out.

The way we attack, we need a ball playing fullback and that is what Latrell provides. Now that he's gone for a few weeks, we have a real void there. With Taaffe also out, Cody is the only one I see most likely to step into Latrell's role as we all know the skills he brings with the ball. Also, on some of our plays, he kind of plays like a fullback anyway. AJ is not a ball playing fullback at all so we'd lose a lot with him there. Benji, an absolute legend could then step into Cody's role as he proved he can in Round 5. I makes sense right?

I know Cody at fullback has not worked in the past but that's because he didn't have the players around him in 2016/17. You look at the side we have now and it's full of quality and with Benji here, I really feel that it could work. Keep in mind it's also only be for a few weeks.

Now, I don't think this is what will happen but I just think it could be a good option. It's risky but it could pay off. In Wayne we trust.

Robbie 12

Juniors
Rabbitohs predicted team:

1. Alex Johnston

2. Jaxson Paulo

3. Dane Gagai

4. Campbell Graham

5. Tautau Moga / marsters

6. Cody Walker

7. Adam Reynolds

8. Tom Burgess

9. Damien Cook

10. Tevita Tatola

11. Keoan Koloamatangi

12. Jaydn Su'a

13. Cameron Murray

14. Benji Marshall

15. Mark Nicholls

17. Jai Arrow

19. Jacob Host

Rabbitohs team news:

Latrell Mitchell is facing three weeks on the sidelines for a string of charges against the Tigers.

It'll mean Alex Johnston moves into fullback, opening the door for Jaxson Paulo's return.

Josh Mansour came away with a hamstring issue against the Tigers and is in some doubt. If he's ruled out we expect to see Tautau Moga named.

Keoan Koloamatangi comes back from suspension and should replace Jacob Host on the left edge. I would drop knight from the bench

Travitoh

First Grade

1. Johnston
2. Paulo
3. Gagai
4. Graham
5. Mansour
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Burgess
9. Cook
10. Tatola
11. Koloamatangi
12. Su'A
13. Murray

14. Marshall
15. Nicholls
16. Host
17. Arrow

This is how I think the team will be named tomorrow afternoon. AJ to fullback, Jaxson onto the left wing to try and cover for Latrell. Sauce is in some doubt and may not play but I expect him to be named and given until kick off to prove his fitness. Keaon slots straight back into that left edge for mine which pushes Hosty to the bench and Knight out of the side. Host has had two really good weeks and deserves his spot I feel and Knight could benefit from having a few weeks in NSW Cup to fully get back up to speed.

However, call me crazy, call me stupid, say I know nothing about League; I don't care. But there is a slightly out there line up I am thinking may not be such a bad idea and the more I think about it, the more I like it. Cody to fullback, Benji to 6 and one of the young halves to 14 or we just play with four forwards on the bench. I know it sounds crazy but hear me out.

The way we attack, we need a ball playing fullback and that is what Latrell provides. Now that he's gone for a few weeks, we have a real void there. With Taaffe also out, Cody is the only one I see most likely to step into Latrell's role as we all know the skills he brings with the ball. Also, on some of our plays, he kind of plays like a fullback anyway. AJ is not a ball playing fullback at all so we'd lose a lot with him there. Benji, an absolute legend could then step into Cody's role as he proved he can in Round 5. I makes sense right?

I know Cody at fullback has not worked in the past but that's because he didn't have the players around him in 2016/17. You look at the side we have now and it's full of quality and with Benji here, I really feel that it could work. Keep in mind it's also only be for a few weeks.

Now, I don't think this is what will happen but I just think it could be a good option. It's risky but it could pay off. In Wayne we trust.

My initial thought was Cody 1, Benji 6 but Benji at 1 causes less disruption to the line up. Thinking along the same lines as you, keeping the extra ball player in attack.

callmack1

Staff member
My initial thought was Cody 1, Benji 6 but Benji at 1 causes less disruption to the line up. Thinking along the same lines as you, keeping the extra ball player in attack.
Not a bad option at all. I'd prefer Cody under the high ball and on kick returns though. Not sure how Benji would go in those areas of the game.

Mad Bunny

Juniors
Rabbitohs predicted team:

1. Alex Johnston

2. Jaxson Paulo

3. Dane Gagai

4. Campbell Graham

5. Tautau Moga / marsters

6. Cody Walker

7. Adam Reynolds

8. Tom Burgess

9. Damien Cook

10. Tevita Tatola

11. Keoan Koloamatangi

12. Jaydn Su'a

13. Cameron Murray

14. Benji Marshall

15. Mark Nicholls

17. Jai Arrow

19. Jacob Host

Rabbitohs team news:

Latrell Mitchell is facing three weeks on the sidelines for a string of charges against the Tigers.

It'll mean Alex Johnston moves into fullback, opening the door for Jaxson Paulo's return.

Josh Mansour came away with a hamstring issue against the Tigers and is in some doubt. If he's ruled out we expect to see Tautau Moga named.

Keoan Koloamatangi comes back from suspension and should replace Jacob Host on the left edge. I would drop knight from the bench

Robbie12
hopefully tautau moga gets the nod to take mansours wing spot...

Mad Bunny

Juniors
I'm happy to have benji on the bench but? maybe a four forward bench is the way to go this week i believe we have to beat the titans up the middle with forward strength, but bennett will have benji with three forwards on the interchange bench just my two cents worth for this game!!!

big hit!

Bench

1. Johnston
2. Paulo
3. Gagai
4. Graham
5. Mansour
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Burgess
9. Cook
10. Tatola
11. Koloamatangi
12. Su'A
13. Murray

14. Marshall
15. Nicholls
16. Host
17. Arrow

Isn't Taafe development anyway? He's not eligible until later in season. Hawkins may miss another week.

I'd say limit the movement of the spine by keeping the 3 available players where they are. AJ to FB and Paulo comes in. Moga or Marsters for Mansour. No need to re-invent the wheel.

sidenote - blue jersey is not South Sydney. And GC wearing white? It's going to look weird

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Team List for Round 7: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/20/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-seven/

Very interesting line up this week as we go through a huge backline re-shuffle due to Trell's suspension and Sauce's hamstring injury (he'll miss four to six weeks). That's two huge outs for us and this could potentially be the backline we have for the next four weeks depending on how Latrell goes tonight.

Anyway, as I was saying, a huge reshuffle. AJ to fullback, Paulo onto the right wing, Gags to left wing and Marsters into the centres is way different. Only Campbell remains in his exsisting position and it'll be all new combinations for the backline. It's not what I would have done, I'd prefer to not move Gags at least due to less disruption but in Wayne we trust. He knows far more than we all do. I will back everyone who puts on that Red, Green and Blue jersey this week and support them fully. All the boys need to now stand up but I know they can do a job.

Good to see Keaon step straight back into an otherwise unchanged forward pack, that's a big boost.

So yea, an interesting team list that's for sure!

callmack1

Staff member
'People won't forget that for a while' - Burgess: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/20/tom-burgess-media-round-7/

"We know they're gonna come out firing" - Tatola: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/20/junior-tatola-media-round-7/

'If we want to be a top two team, these are games we need to win' - Nicholls: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/20/mark-nicholls-media-round-7/

So Cody has been training under the high ball today. Is there a chance this may not actually be the line up we run out with on Friday night? Does Wayne have a few tricks up his sleeve and will we see Cody at fullback after all? I'm not sure. I just think it's interesting the club had him training at the back today.

handyman2190

Bench
'People won't forget that for a while' - Burgess: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/20/tom-burgess-media-round-7/

"We know they're gonna come out firing" - Tatola: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/20/junior-tatola-media-round-7/

'If we want to be a top two team, these are games we need to win' - Nicholls: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/20/mark-nicholls-media-round-7/

So Cody has been training under the high ball today. Is there a chance this may not actually be the line up we run out with on Friday night? Does Wayne have a few tricks up his sleeve and will we see Cody at fullback after all? I'm not sure. I just think it's interesting the club had him training at the back today.
As i said cody has played alot of FB, benji in 6 cody 1 gagai stays in the centres moga on wing, wont stop fafita scoring but im more confident.
Honestly marsters has no clue in defence, and i dont want to be mean,he is not fit, he is 15kg overweight, he has the bigest bubble but in all of football.
Im not confident of a win,sorry boys, tigers copped the boos and gave it to us,titans lost by over 30 to nil, now they will come out firing