What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 - Titans vs Rabbitohs: Friday 23rd April 6pm @Cbus Super Stadium

Travitoh

First Grade
My mate just messaged to tell me Paulo is out 4 weeks, I hope it’s not true.

If so no

Trell
Sauce
Paulo
Burns
Jed (can play centre)

Could see this next week:

Cody
Gagai
Campbell
Marsters
AJ

Shoulder? It looked like he got hurt before half time.

callmack1

Staff member
Good summary.
Just one point to make here, it's not Reynolds' job to stop Fifita rampaging at the line from 10 out. It was Knight who missed the first tackle, before Fifita got a head of steam up, then Reynolds made two attempts, but where was the help D?
Also you left out, it was Adam w with a 40-20 that led to Souths first try, his kicking game was good overall, his goal kicking was spectacular, and it was his ball play at first receiver that was able to link up with Benji and destroy GC in the 2nd half. You've sold him short a bit here.
I am arguing my point respectfully so please don't think I'm having a go mate, just discussing my point.

I know Reyno is a much smaller man so he is hardly going to win against a rampaging Fifita but it's 100% his job to stop Fifita. Reyno is a part of our team and part of our defensive line, he's also defending directly opposite to Fifita. Thus, Reyno has a job to do and stopping Fifita is part of it.

I watched the replay yesterday and it is Reyno who actually missed the first tackle, you may disagree but Ren, along with Cammy, had two poor arm grabs at him and missed. It was actually after that that Fifita gets a head of steam up and Nicholls and Knight follow with poor tackle attempts. Therefore, Reyno and Graham did not do their job there. If they made a better effort and stopped him or even held him to give time for more help to arrive, the play dies. Just my opinion and it's allgood if you disagree.

In regards to Adam's attack, I completely forgot to mention the 40/20, that was amazing. However, how have I sold him short? Go back and read my comment again, I have given him high praise. I pretty much said he was perfect in attack and that he was starting our movements and allowing Cody and Benji to do what they did. How have I sold him short?

Again, please don't take this the wrong way man. I just have a different opinion about his defence to you obviously. Makes for good discussion!

Mad Bunny

Juniors
My mate just messaged to tell me Paulo is out 4 weeks, I hope it’s not true.

If so no

Trell
Sauce
Paulo
Burns
Jed (can play centre)

Could see this next week:

Cody
Gagai
Campbell
Marsters
AJ

If this is true?? Then I am wrapped lets hope your source from your mate is correct R20 and not hearsay?? All will be revealed by next week if this is false information ile be on a downer if jaxson paulo plays next week.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I am arguing my point respectfully so please don't think I'm having a go mate, just discussing my point.

I know Reyno is a much smaller man so he is hardly going to win against a rampaging Fifita but it's 100% his job to stop Fifita. Reyno is a part of our team and part of our defensive line, he's also defending directly opposite to Fifita. Thus, Reyno has a job to do and stopping Fifita is part of it.

I watched the replay yesterday and it is Reyno who actually missed the first tackle, you may disagree but Ren, along with Cammy, had two poor arm grabs at him and missed. It was actually after that that Fifita gets a head of steam up and Nicholls and Knight follow with poor tackle attempts. Therefore, Reyno and Graham did not do their job there. If they made a better effort and stopped him or even held him to give time for more help to arrive, the play dies. Just my opinion and it's allgood if you disagree.

In regards to Adam's attack, I completely forgot to mention the 40/20, that was amazing. However, how have I sold him short? Go back and read my comment again, I have given him high praise. I pretty much said he was perfect in attack and that he was starting our movements and allowing Cody and Benji to do what they did. How have I sold him short?

Again, please don't take this the wrong way man. I just have a different opinion about his defence to you obviously. Makes for good discussion!
Well stated

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Mate, if any forward was asked which half they would want to run at they would say Adam Reynolds. Halves get singled out. Its part of the game. Mind you Cook gets singled out in the middle as well. We have great scramble defence because of that.

I find that we struggle against the bigger forward packs because of this as well. Our biggest weakness in our defence is the size of our pack. If a big forward runs it straight through the middle and offloads we are usually in all sorts of hurt. Cook provides us a huge advantage in attack but can be a liability in defence because of this. Same as Reynolds.

Travitoh

First Grade
Anyone heard how junior is? I hope he is fit for next week

The short turnaround may hurt his chances of playing. Personally, i believe he should be sat for the week. Even if he does pass the required tests, I've seen data before that suggests a players input is down the week after failing a HIA.

Then there are situations like Liam Knight where they seem ok and then receive another knock that puts them back. It's a situation that i feel is best treated with cotton gloves.

assess5

Juniors
Mate, if any forward was asked which half they would want to run at they would say Adam Reynolds. Halves get singled out. Its part of the game. Mind you Cook gets singled out in the middle as well. We have great scramble defence because of that.

I find that we struggle against the bigger forward packs because of this as well. Our biggest weakness in our defence is the size of our pack. If a big forward runs it straight through the middle and offloads we are usually in all sorts of hurt. Cook provides us a huge advantage in attack but can be a liability in defence because of this. Same as Reynolds.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, are you saying ( Mate, if any forward was asked which half they would want to run at they would say Adam Reynolds) that Reynolds is an easy mark for opposition forwards, I gotta disagree, I don't think there is a better defensive half back than Reynolds.
Maybe your saying big forwards always choose to run at smaller guys who are most often half backs, I'd agree with that.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, are you saying ( Mate, if any forward was asked which half they would want to run at they would say Adam Reynolds) that Reynolds is an easy mark for opposition forwards, I gotta disagree, I don't think there is a better defensive half back than Reynolds.
Maybe your saying big forwards always choose to run at smaller guys who are most often half backs, I'd agree with that.
Totally agree. Reyno is definitely one of the better defensive halfbacks. I would think that most forwards would much rather run at most of the other halfbacks before Reyno.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

This is an off the cuff example but there was an interview with Martin Taupau where he was asked what player he would love to run at if he had the opportunity and he chose Reynolds. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how good you are defensively sometimes if there's a mismatch in size. Reynolds defensive technique is good but its just difficult for someone of his size to handle a Taupau/Fifita. Unfortunately some of the time he is going to have to go head to head with them and come out second best. The players are getting bigger and bigger each generation.

assess5

Juniors
This is an off the cuff example but there was an interview with Martin Taupau where he was asked what player he would love to run at if he had the opportunity and he chose Reynolds. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how good you are defensively sometimes if there's a mismatch in size. Reynolds defensive technique is good but its just difficult for someone of his size to handle a Taupau/Fifita. Unfortunately some of the time he is going to have to go head to head with them and come out second best. The players are getting bigger and bigger each generation.

Of course its difficult for Reynolds to tackle Taupau and Fifita, who doesn't have problems tackling those two. Are you really basing your view on one persons, Taupau's view.

I watch Reynolds week in week out tackling giants forwards and centres and I put him in the top bracket of defensive half backs. I'd prefer Reynolds to Corey Allan or Johnston.

Just can't see your point mate.