What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 v Roosters

Dragonsamy

Bench
I'm dumb founded , that we were in a hurry to sign him to a 3 year deal .... It must have been cheap .... Or there were teams lined up to sign him .... Hope he proves me wrong , but he will be more of a liability than a asset ....

Hazz it was quote at 150k per year and Millward said there was 3 or 4 teams interested if that is true.
I think that they assume that he will get better because he only came over from rugby a few years ago

BLM01

First Grade
Hot of the press.
Robbo to rest his Top 13 to make it a contest. His lower grade players are whingeing about not getting a run. Sound familiar!
Dragons going for 3 in a row as we are now 2 Mary W's out of the Top 4 and 1 out of the Top 8

getsmarty

Immortal
dufty-m-200620-_jo_-1686.jpg

DRAGONS

Dufty to go to school on Teddy for Roosters No.1 assignment
Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 21 Jun 2020, 03:01 PM
gouldjoe-head.png

• Share via Email
In-form Dragons fullback Matt Dufty says there is a lot he can learn from counterpart James Tedesco’s game as he prepares to take on a Roosters side brimming with confidence.

Dufty has been one of St George Illawarra’s best in back-to-back wins with his running and ever improving passing game on song in the new spine coach Paul McGregor has selected.

Dufty and halves pairing Corey Norman and Adam Clune all had try assists in Saturday’s 20-8 win over the Titans.

Tedesco left the field after he was concussed in the Roosters win over the Eels on Saturday night but after the game was walking around and in good spirits.

He also had his hand on ice in the sheds. If he recovers in time for Friday night’s clash at Bankwest Stadium then Dufty will go head-to-head with the fullback considered by many to be the best player in the world today.

Tedesco has taken his passing game to another level at the Roosters and creates plenty of opportunities for his supports, while doing everything at speed and precision.

"Teddy plays everything at speed, and I think the Roosters in general play at speed which is what sets them apart at the moment," Dufty said.

"Everyone is pushing around the ball and if there is a half chance everyone capitalises.

"Looking at Teddy there is a reason he is the best at the moment and I think I can take a lot out of his game.

"Everyone knows I like to run the ball but in the NRL teams adapt really quick to what you do. I think if I can bring in that pass, it gives teams something else to study."

In the 30-16 win over the Sharks in round five Dufty ran for 197m and had two line break assists and two try assists while scoring one himself.

Against the Titans the Dragons fullback ran for 149m, and had two line break assists and a try assist. His slick pass to Zac Lomax in the first half put the Dragons centre into space to score the side’s opening try.

"The way we have structured our attack the last couple of weeks is really suiting my style," Dufty said.

"Having Dozer [Ben Hunt] at dummy half gives us that different attacking factor. It brings a bit of spark and creativity.

"All the spine is clicking at the moment.

"It wasn’t the prettiest [against Gold Coast] but we got two points. We have got a big challenge next week against the Roosters and we are going to have to be a lot better."

Ben Hunt doesn’t want to play the bench hooker role long-term but said he was enjoying it because the team was winning and needed him there at the moment. As for Dufty, he said his form was red hot.

"The last two weeks he has been really good," Hunt said.

"The last 12 to 18 months he has bounced around a bit, in and out of the side, but he is a real confidence player and the last month we have been back he has been training really confident, and being around him he is bouncing off the walls and really keen to play.

"That is showing in his performances."

Coach Paul McGregor is liking what he sees from his new spine after being forced to make changes, with new half Clune already making progress.

"The combinations take time to build, and there has been a lot of movement in that spine area just due to the fact that we weren’t getting what we needed," McGregor said.

"The changes have been effective the last couple of weeks and will continue to improve, but generally it is good when your important people have the finesse to finish off and execute right.

"[Clune] is the type of guy that knows the game very well and he is probably not overstepping his mark at the moment with the players he has got around him.

"In time he will take more control and when he does that we will be a better team again."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/21/dufty-to-go-to-school-on-teddy-for-roosters-no.1-assignment/

BLM01

First Grade
McPaddle says
"[Clune] is the type of guy that knows the game very well and he is probably not overstepping his mark at the moment with the players he has got around him.
"In time he will take more control and when he does that we will be a better team again."

(i.e. you have chains on him and he will get more involved when you tell him he can")
Can we get the rest of selection committee to take over completely

George Dragon

Juniors
McPaddle says

(i.e. you have chains on him and he will get more involved when you tell him he can")
Can we get the rest of selection committee to take over completely

"The way we have structured our attack the last couple of weeks is really suiting my style," Dufty said.
Sounds like they are step by step.

Dragon David

First Grade
Welcome to the forum George , I can't see it but I hope he turns out to be great and proves me wrong ....

Yes welcome to the forum George. I have raised this issue on the forum that Rava needs tons of practise in catching the ball - high, low, bouncy, hard, taking passes while running at speed etc. Guys like Clune, Hunt and Norman could do a lot of the kicking to him and the coaches and trainers can do the passes.

Yes, concentration is the key. There are many people who have poor hand- eye co-ordination and Rava could suffer from this. A good example on how to improve hand-eye co-ordination can be seen in the video - .

Dragon David

First Grade
dufty-m-200620-_jo_-1686.jpg

DRAGONS

Dufty to go to school on Teddy for Roosters No.1 assignment
Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 21 Jun 2020, 03:01 PM
gouldjoe-head.png

• Share via Email
In-form Dragons fullback Matt Dufty says there is a lot he can learn from counterpart James Tedesco’s game as he prepares to take on a Roosters side brimming with confidence.

Dufty has been one of St George Illawarra’s best in back-to-back wins with his running and ever improving passing game on song in the new spine coach Paul McGregor has selected.

Dufty and halves pairing Corey Norman and Adam Clune all had try assists in Saturday’s 20-8 win over the Titans.

Tedesco left the field after he was concussed in the Roosters win over the Eels on Saturday night but after the game was walking around and in good spirits.

He also had his hand on ice in the sheds. If he recovers in time for Friday night’s clash at Bankwest Stadium then Dufty will go head-to-head with the fullback considered by many to be the best player in the world today.

Tedesco has taken his passing game to another level at the Roosters and creates plenty of opportunities for his supports, while doing everything at speed and precision.

"Teddy plays everything at speed, and I think the Roosters in general play at speed which is what sets them apart at the moment," Dufty said.

"Everyone is pushing around the ball and if there is a half chance everyone capitalises.

"Looking at Teddy there is a reason he is the best at the moment and I think I can take a lot out of his game.

"Everyone knows I like to run the ball but in the NRL teams adapt really quick to what you do. I think if I can bring in that pass, it gives teams something else to study."

In the 30-16 win over the Sharks in round five Dufty ran for 197m and had two line break assists and two try assists while scoring one himself.

Against the Titans the Dragons fullback ran for 149m, and had two line break assists and a try assist. His slick pass to Zac Lomax in the first half put the Dragons centre into space to score the side’s opening try.

"Having Dozer [Ben Hunt] at dummy half gives us that different attacking factor. It brings a bit of spark and creativity.

"All the spine is clicking at the moment.

"It wasn’t the prettiest [against Gold Coast] but we got two points. We have got a big challenge next week against the Roosters and we are going to have to be a lot better."

Ben Hunt doesn’t want to play the bench hooker role long-term but said he was enjoying it because the team was winning and needed him there at the moment. As for Dufty, he said his form was red hot.

"The last two weeks he has been really good," Hunt said.

"The last 12 to 18 months he has bounced around a bit, in and out of the side, but he is a real confidence player and the last month we have been back he has been training really confident, and being around him he is bouncing off the walls and really keen to play.

"That is showing in his performances."

Coach Paul McGregor is liking what he sees from his new spine after being forced to make changes, with new half Clune already making progress.

"The combinations take time to build, and there has been a lot of movement in that spine area just due to the fact that we weren’t getting what we needed," McGregor said.

"The changes have been effective the last couple of weeks and will continue to improve, but generally it is good when your important people have the finesse to finish off and execute right.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/21/dufty-to-go-to-school-on-teddy-for-roosters-no.1-assignment/
There we are, the secret is out - we need speed and precision. Lots of speed with precise actions. Train for this and we will be world beaters LOL!

Dragon David

First Grade
Time for predictions for this blockbuster. Ravalawa four drop balls, Norman three forward passes and Aitken five missed tackles.

I will say the score will be ROOSTERS 48 DRAGONS 0 and then something similar in the second half as well.
Haha! I don't think they would come out in the second half if the score was R 48, D 0. Seriously though, when the score reaches R12-D0 after only 5 minutes, Kayo Sports will be turned off in this household.

blacksafake

First Grade
Hot of the press.
Robbo to rest his Top 13 to make it a contest. His lower grade players are whingeing about not getting a run. Sound familiar!
Dragons going for 3 in a row as we are now 2 Mary W's out of the Top 4 and 1 out of the Top 8
Nah bugger it I want to beat them at full strength, so I hope their top squad runs out as it will be more satisfying :rolling_eyes::joy::rolling_eyes::joy:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
No doubt part of the gameplan has to be to bash Flanno junior. Wonder what pig poppa thinks? Parra had success up the middle and there is no way we are going around the best outside backs in the NRL so we had better snap out of that habit real quick. The only place we really have parity with them is in the forwards so hopefully we have a good crack there with Dufty sniffing around.

possm

Coach
They can’t release him now, he’s the nil for a wing spot. JP suspended and Rava was probably in line for a dropping in any case so we need him. He won’t get an opportunity at Melbourne he’s not in front of Vunivalu or JAC. So leaving for an opportunity is bullshit and pretty highly in breach of contract. I can understand next year to replace one of those two but right now I would just flat out say no it’s a low act on his part if he’s pushing this hard in current situations imo.
I'd say Melbourne are chasing Saab with the view to using him as a replacement for JAC who is leaving at seasons end.

Saab is under contract and should be playing on the right-wing ahead of Ravalawa. Ravalawa has been extended until the end of 2023 - who really knows why.

Right now I do not see Ravalawa as a winger. I'd like to see him coached to be a centre. JP is not the answer on the left-wing and so, I would rather see Ramsey come into first grade on the left-wing and Saab to right-wing. Maybe Ravalawa at left centre until Williame becomes available.

Who is managing retention? We extend a very ordinary player (Ravalawa) when it is not necessary to do so and leave one of our best wing prospects out of the 17.

SBD82

Coach
All you blokes worried about Rava’s catching should relax and think about it logically.

For the Roosters to kick to Rava on the last, they would need to get to the last tackle without already scoring a try.

So you see how this isn’t actually an issue.

BLM01

First Grade
Now that we have the lob cut out pass as our new strike weapon to the wingers I wonder if we have a Plan B when the Roosters and others learn to nullify that.
Perhaps... the lob kick to the wing over BMoz to a 7ft Saab...the face ball to the decoy..or

Mary's Play #10 in his book...the 5 or 6 one out hit ups...12 players watching and a bomb from our own side of halfway on the 6th or 7th

possm

Coach
Time for predictions for this blockbuster. Ravalawa four drop balls, Norman three forward passes and Aitken five missed tackles.

I will say the score will be ROOSTERS 48 DRAGONS 0 and then something similar in the second half as well.
Well, that would most certainly cost us two competition points but also could very well end Mary's tenure at the Dragons.

Latest posts