What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 v Roosters

TruSaint

Referee
Have a draft. This problem disappears into the wilderness man

The NSWRL lost in High Court in 1991, as the draft was deemed to be a restraint of Trade.

The AFL draft has never been challenged.

"We ended up in the High Court and the High Court supported the players' position that it was taking over their lives and taking over their careers," Ryan said.

"The High Court found that the proposed draft was a restraint of trade, and an interference with a person's right to negotiate their own lives and future and so on."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/19/how-the-draft-legal-challenge-galvanised-players/

https://www.theroar.com.au/2012/03/21/nrl-draft-and-the-legal-perspective/

denis preston

First Grade
I will tell you which pack of dickheads introduced the ‘ golden point ‘ rule matey . It was Peter - know-all - Sterling and Paul Vautin who said the NRL should give it a trial run as it would add an additional element of excitement to the game .

And low and behold the silly fools at the NRL ( at the time ) said - “ Yea sure Sterlo , anything for you mate “ . I distinctly recall the discussion on the footy show one Thursday night and it was only a short time after that conversation the rule was introduced.

Two teams go all out for a win and after 80 minutes they are level pegging then both should both receive 1 competition point - end of story .
Excitement ? 4 to 5 one off runs through the ruck and then a kick ? Very predictable.Should always be 10 mins each way and however scores the first try wins it.Now that would be exciting.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Saab is a giraffe going nowhere and we should release him along with Aitken, Hunt, Lafai, Lovodua and Norman. We should play Ramsey on the wing or centre as he and Dufty would be dynamic. If we bought Korebeite my backline would be:-
Dufty
Korabeite-Buy
Ramsey
Lomax
Ravalawa
Sailor
Clune
My forwards would be:-
Vaughan
Mc Innes
Lawrie
T Sims
Host
Fuimaono
Bench
K Sims
Blacker
Ford
Brittain
Back up
Feagai
Fegai
Gale
H Lomax
Morgan
Pereira
Sauni-Esau
Sullivan
Williame
Wishart
Total 27
We could in addition to Korabeite buy Asiata, Elliot and Welch to have an NRL Squad of 30 players. If we wanted to buy a back say Cotric or we could have Wishart in the Development Squad. Usually one or two players are injured out of the Squad. We most well use our juniors
as our imports have not served us well apart from Fuimaono, Mc Innes, Vaughan and Widdop.

TruSaint

Referee
Tough game.
Those mistakes cost them. Very unlike Easts.

Golden point blows chunks big time.
Both teams deserved a point after that performance.
A draw is a result [What dickhead introduced GP? Sounds like something Greenberg would do]

Quality game and both teams deserved something.
I like extra time, but as mentioned above play out the full duration of the extra minutes at least.
Neither team deserved to go away from that game with nothing to show for...

Dragon David

First Grade
Quality game and both teams deserved something.
I like extra time, but as mentioned above play out the full duration of the extra minutes at least.
Neither team deserved to go away from that game with nothing to show for...

I admire the way both teams go about their games. I'm not a fan of either clubs more so not of the Storm.
The game had many twists and turns and even Keary said after the game that he could see a comeback by the Storm even with about 50 seconds to go after he kicked like what looked the winning field goal.

Cordner hitting his head on the ground and knocking on when dazed in the play the ball giving the Storm the scrum feed and possession only for Friend to give away the penalty in golden point time sealed the Roosters fate.

I would have been happy if they each got a point.

TruSaint

Referee
I admire the way both teams go about their games. I'm not a fan of either clubs more so not of the Storm.
The game had many twists and turns and even Keary said after the game that he could see a comeback by the Storm even with about 50 seconds to go after he kicked like what looked the winning field goal.

Cordner hitting his head on the ground and knocking on when dazed in the play the ball giving the Storm the scrum feed and possession only for Friend to give away the penalty in golden point time sealed the Roosters fate.

Honestly, I didnt care about the result but that was one fantastic game. Truly a spectacle.
2 heavyweights going toe to toe.

Loved it as a neutral.

The calm one

Juniors
The NSWRL lost in High Court in 1991, as the draft was deemed to be a restraint of Trade.

The AFL draft has never been challenged.

"We ended up in the High Court and the High Court supported the players' position that it was taking over their lives and taking over their careers," Ryan said.

"The High Court found that the proposed draft was a restraint of trade, and an interference with a person's right to negotiate their own lives and future and so on."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/19/how-the-draft-legal-challenge-galvanised-players/

https://www.theroar.com.au/2012/03/21/nrl-draft-and-the-legal-perspective/
That was 30 years ago. Things change, the NRL is broke and in debt. If it meant evening up the competition to make it fairer and create more interest in the game, I can not see why it wouldn't work

TruSaint

Referee
That was 30 years ago. Things change, the NRL is broke and in debt. If it meant evening up the competition to make it fairer and create more interest in the game, I can not see why it wouldn't work

It was 30 years ago, yes.
It has been debated time and again under different CEO's, since then.
There has been no interest to go down this path.

Edit:- Gallop wanted in implemented for 2004.
It had little or no support from player associations, and Clubs.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-revisits-the-draft-20030209-gdg8q1.html

__

Last edited:

The calm one

Juniors
It was 30 years ago, yes.
It has been debated time and again under different CEO's, since then.
There has been no interest to go down this path.

Edit:- Gallop wanted in implemented for 2004.
It had little or no support from player associations, and Clubs.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-revisits-the-draft-20030209-gdg8q1.html

__
You are correct of course it would not be supported by the players association but is a pretty simple equation. Try a draft that has been proven year after year that it works. Change nothing and keep the unfair system we have and keep whinging about it.

hazzbeen

Bench

Love them or hate them , they are both great run and coached teams ..... Whether you believe they bend the rules and get away with it , or not , they are simply the best ..... How long have the Storm been a top 4 team , lose a player , lose 2 player like Cronk and Slater , they simple bring in a player and not much changes ..... We struggle to even get over the advantage line never mind top 4 ...... Our board have to take a good look at how these top teams are coached and run ....... At the moment we have no idea .......

Dragon David

First Grade
Love them or hate them , they are both great run and coached teams ..... Whether you believe they bend the rules and get away with it , or not , they are simply the best ..... How long have the Storm been a top 4 team , lose a player , lose 2 player like Cronk and Slater , they simple bring in a player and not much changes ..... We struggle to even get over the advantage line never mind top 4 ...... Our board have to take a good look at how these top teams are coached and run ....... At the moment we have no idea .......
Well said Hazzbeen.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well said Hazzbeen.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well said Hazzbeen.

Latest posts