What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7

druzik

Juniors
Well I will actually get to see games this round again. Only the USARL are playing this week.

A very crucial round. 4 teams in with a chance for the last 2 play off spots, Boston, DC, Rebellion and Oneida. Also top spot could be up for grabs between the Axemen and Fight. In all a tight competition has developed.

Washington DC Slayers v New Haven Warriors
This should be a win to the Slayers. Warriors, as well all know are rebuilding this year and that always hits a team hard. This should be a solid win to the Slayers who also have home town advantage. Slayers by 18.

Baltimore Blues v Boston 13s
Baltimore being a new team are still finding their feet. Boston this year have really recruited well and are playing excellent football. Despite a drop in concentration in the 3rs stanze last week, they showed in the 4th that they are capable of compbacks even when 22 points down with under 10 minutes to go. They will account for the Crabs easily, I like the blues but really I am seeing another blow out score here. Boston by about 30+.

Jacksonville Axemen v Rhode Island rebellion
This I think is the match of the round. The Axemen are well out in front and should secure the minor premiership with this match. They will also guarantee a home final either way. The Rebellion however have shown that they are capable of playing some good League this year and can spring surprises and trouble the top teams. Its why they have the #4 spot. Axemen with the home ground advantage should get over them, but it will be closer than people will expect. Jacksonville by 10.

Philadelphia Fight v Oneida FC
Oneida are still in the hunt for the play offs, a win this week and next and other favourable results could see them in the top 4. However they are up against one of the true power houses of Rugby League in the Unites States. I think that after this round, where the fight will get Oneida by 20 points will, effectively end FCs season and could rival the Axemen for top spot.

I will probably get out to the Fight Game this weekend, though I may go to Baltimore.

amnrlfan

Juniors
USARL

Slayers (3-3) vs Warriors (1-5) - Must win for the Slayers. If the Warriors were going to be the underdogs who came up big this would be the week to do it, at least the Rebellion are hoping so. I can't image the Slayers showing up anything else besides fired up. Slayers by 20.

Blues (0-6) vs Thirteens (4-2) - Should be an easy win for the Thirteens. I hope the Blues gain a lot from the other clubs and bring over some good imports next season to help improve the talent of the club. Thirteens by 30.

Axemen (6-0) vs Rebellion (3-3) - Should be a good match. Rebellion look a lot stronger the last three games then the first three. Rebellion should give the Axemen a run for their money. With the heat and home field advantage the Axemen should come up big late in the game. Axemen by 20.

Fight (5-1) vs Oneida (2-4) - Fight should not have any trouble with Oneida this weekend. Oneida seem to have improved from last season and hopefully keep it up. Lot of talent coming out of New England as of late. Fight by 30.

AMNRL - Allstar match. North by 20.

amnrlfan

Juniors
I am surprised there has not been any comments of the AMNRL allstar game. Anyone involved want to shed some light on a possible game result.

How about the USARL any upsets ? Slayers run too good to be true, lucky win last week vs boston, or are they actually a top contender? Rebellion's three wins come from teams at the bottom of the table, this week will determine if the Rebellion will have a chance at the playoffs or if they just had an easy schedule thus far.

Fatwing15

Juniors
USARL

Slayers (3-3) vs Warriors (1-5) - Must win for the Slayers. If the Warriors were going to be the underdogs who came up big this would be the week to do it, at least the Rebellion are hoping so. I can't image the Slayers showing up anything else besides fired up. Slayers by 20.

Blues (0-6) vs Thirteens (4-2) - Should be an easy win for the Thirteens. I hope the Blues gain a lot from the other clubs and bring over some good imports next season to help improve the talent of the club. Thirteens by 30.

Axemen (6-0) vs Rebellion (3-3) - Should be a good match. Rebellion look a lot stronger the last three games then the first three. Rebellion should give the Axemen a run for their money. With the heat and home field advantage the Axemen should come up big late in the game. Axemen by 20.

Fight (5-1) vs Oneida (2-4) - Fight should not have any trouble with Oneida this weekend. Oneida seem to have improved from last season and hopefully keep it up. Lot of talent coming out of New England as of late. Fight by 30.

AMNRL - Allstar match. North by 20.

Let's just hope at least one of these scores are within 30. At least we have the Fight vs 13's next week which should be competitive.

Out of curiosity, what is the import max for teams in the USARL ?
A

amnrlfan

Juniors
Import max is 3 I believe.

Axemen 54 d Rebellion 22

Fight 82 d Oneida 0

13s 100 d Blues 0

DC Warriors ?

amnrlfan

Juniors
Looks like the 13s lost to the Blues 100-0. At least that is what the USARL website is saying. Anyone know if this is true and if the Slayers and Warriors played this weekend?

Fatwing15

Juniors
Import max is 3 I believe.

Axemen 54 d Rebellion 22

Fight 82 d Oneida 0

13s 100 d Blues 0

DC Warriors ?

I'm not really clear on how the import rules work in either league, but wouldn't Joel weeks be the 4th import for the Fight?

It's a shame that teams like Oneida, Baltimore or New Haven weren't assisted by some imports. Having a couple experienced imports can go a long way in developing a clubs talent. I am not sure if Joel was injured or what,but instead of having teams have extra imports, they should send them to play for some of the struggling teams. I know the Knights had a strong hand in getting some imports for the Raiders last year, and look at the leaps the Raiders have made on the feild these last 2 years. Just as a side note, I do not have any knowledge of the struggling teams rosters, they may very well have some imports, my opinion is based strictly on the assumption that their struggles are related to competing with out the same kind of foreign talent and experience that the other teams. have.

Here is an idea, you put the governing body, (USARL/AMNRL) in charge in handling all import players. You would then have a draft of those imports to decide what teams get which import. The team that finished with the worst record the year before would get the first pick in the import draft. I think this would really help restore some of the competivie balance and we would see way less 100-0 score lines.

Choo Choo

Juniors
I'm not really clear on how the import rules work in either league, but wouldn't Joel weeks be the 4th import for the Fight?

It's a shame that teams like Oneida, Baltimore or New Haven weren't assisted by some imports. Having a couple experienced imports can go a long way in developing a clubs talent. I am not sure if Joel was injured or what,but instead of having teams have extra imports, they should send them to play for some of the struggling teams. I know the Knights had a strong hand in getting some imports for the Raiders last year, and look at the leaps the Raiders have made on the feild these last 2 years. Just as a side note, I do not have any knowledge of the struggling teams rosters, they may very well have some imports, my opinion is based strictly on the assumption that their struggles are related to competing with out the same kind of foreign talent and experience that the other teams. have.

Here is an idea, you put the governing body, (USARL/AMNRL) in charge in handling all import players. You would then have a draft of those imports to decide what teams get which import. The team that finished with the worst record the year before would get the first pick in the import draft. I think this would really help restore some of the competivie balance and we would see way less 100-0 score lines.

In the USARL, you can only have three imports on your match roster for each match. So, technically you can have as many as you want, but can only select three on match day. Rules also say that a player must play in at least three regular season matches to be eligible for the playoffs.

The Slayers have developed a relationship with they Byron Bay area and that is where we select our imports; usually based on input from our previous imports. We're definitely not limited to Byron Bay, but have been more than happy with our imports from that area.

Not sure I completely agree with your import suggestion Fatwing, but there is merit. I do think that all imports should be registered with the league prior to the start of the season and regardless of what happens, that's all you get. For instance, this season, after weeks of rehabilitation, we regret to announce that Ben Webber is lost for the season due to an injury sustained a few weeks ago. This is a big loss for the team, but we have decided to push ahead and not bring in someone else to finish the season. There is a judiciary committee that we could petition for an exemption to replace Ben, but we decided that would be paramount to bringing in ringers and that didn't sit right with me. The integrity of the game is more important.

Fatwing15

Juniors
In the USARL, you can only have three imports on your match roster for each match. So, technically you can have as many as you want, but can only select three on match day. Rules also say that a player must play in at least three regular season matches to be eligible for the playoffs.

The Slayers have developed a relationship with they Byron Bay area and that is where we select our imports; usually based on input from our previous imports. We're definitely not limited to Byron Bay, but have been more than happy with our imports from that area.

Not sure I completely agree with your import suggestion Fatwing, but there is merit. I do think that all imports should be registered with the league prior to the start of the season and regardless of what happens, that's all you get. For instance, this season, after weeks of rehabilitation, we regret to announce that Ben Webber is lost for the season due to an injury sustained a few weeks ago. This is a big loss for the team, but we have decided to push ahead and not bring in someone else to finish the season. There is a judiciary committee that we could petition for an exemption to replace Ben, but we decided that would be paramount to bringing in ringers and that didn't sit right with me. The integrity of the game is more important.

I don't really agree with my import idea either, I personally value playing along side my friends more than winning with a bunch of ringers. I'd rather get our asses kicked with my bud's than watch talented imports over match our opposition from the bench lol This comradeship is really what makes playing for The Sharks so much fun (although I wouldnt complain about playing with a couple imports that could help in the clubs development :p
And like Choo said, having a relationship with a certain town or comp over seas is a really cool thing to have.
Since I don't play in the USARL, I think an import draft would be perfect for them! :sarcasm: haha

So, will the Fight's MVP from last year be eligible for the playoffs this year?

Dakink

Bench

Northern NSW Byron bay? I live in Ballina 15 mins south and follow the local league closely and have never even heard that mentioned or advertised. If it is my area then the Red Devils should be encouraged to actively promote and advertise this.

Dakink

Bench
I've played in Ballina. Cool town. As is Byron Bay.

Good stuff boys

Good strong league town Ballina. Strong union club too.

Still think the red devils (Byron) would help draw more people and interest if they actively promoted their link with dc. That's if it is in place. Extremely strong junior club, Ballina would be a good fit for any other club looking for a sister club relationship.

pennpool

Juniors
100 - 0 makes everybody look bad. I'm all for putting a beating on a team but there comes a point where you pull back the reigns.
Lets say the blues had a home and home with the 13's How many of the Blues players would want to travel to Boston to get a massive tonking. These run up scores are a sure fire way to kill off participation.

It's about time that the whole foreigner rule was put to bed. The sharks have two young players currently stepping up to the 6 and 7 spot. There being brought on slowly with the full intention of them being the main men in the coming years. Personally I don't see why any team needs imports. There is enough American participants right now to sustain a league.