1. We're currently experiencing some severe and unexpected problems with our server. We're working on it, and we thank you for your patience. In the meantime, visit https://leagueunlimited.com for all your news and updates, or check us out on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

This week, Joshua Wells speaks with injured Canterbury forward Joe Stimson as he works his way toward an NRL return next season, and we have a big double spread of the Rugby League Project's 'Rugby League Scorigami!

EDITION 6 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Round 8 - Bulldogs vs Rabbitohs: Sunday 5th July 6:30pm @Bankwest Stadium

Discussion in 'South Sydney Rabbitohs' started by callmack1, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:30 AM.

1. callmack1

callmack1 Moderator Staff Member

This is a huge week for us as we go up against our old rivals in the Bulldogs. It's a huge game for us but to be honest, it really shouldn't be as big of a game as it is. We haven't been going as well as we should be, that's no secret, so this week is huge because we really need to get back on track. It's almost a must win!

Not only that, but we are playing one of our biggest rivals. I always love playing the Dogs, there's a lot of great history between us as we all know. They're a gritty side who I actually don't think have been playing too badly, they just haven't got the results. Therefore, we need to be wary. They must not be underestimated that's for sure as they are certainly capable of surprising us. All you have to do is look at the last time we played them, Women In League Round, 2019, to see what they can do in terms of surprising us. They might be down the ladder but still have plenty of strike across the park and can drag you down to their gritty level if you let them.

For us, it's pretty obvious what the focus of this week should be. Ball control and completion rate should be the main focus. Of course, we need to improve in all areas week by week but this is the main one. We all know it's been absolutely terrible and it has hurt us so far this Season. It's time the coaching staff properly address it and we work on it because we just can't afford to have a poor completion rate again come Sunday night. Defence is the other one for me. Our 'D' has actually been pretty decent in recent weeks, still areas for improvement but it's been good and that needs to continue this week. If we can get these areas right, I'm confident the attack will flow off the back of that. Getting these areas right is just so important!

Big week, but we can do this!

2. handyman2190

handyman2190 Juniors

This is a make or break game for us, winning keeps us in sight of the 8, losing drops us and shows we dont have it this year.

callmack1 likes this.
  3. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Coach

Scored tickets to the game. First game for the season (I missed the Sharks due to a 1001 other commitments on that day). To say I'm stoked is an understatement.

callmack1 and Travitoh like this.
  4. Travitoh

Travitoh Bench

Canterbury are a side that can grind and frustrate their opposition. Early points will be clutch in an attempt to open the game up a bit where they'll be vulnerable.

A low scoring loss won't be the end of the world. It's no secret that the Souths attack can be easily frustrated. Anything that involves Canterbury scoring 3+ tries however will be a bad result.

callmack1 likes this.
  5. callmack1

Awesome mate congrats!! I'm jealous haha.

Agreed. If we can start well and hold the ball, it will go a long way to ensuring they don't easily frustrate us.

The Mad Hatter likes this.
  6. callmack1

Here's my predicted Line Up for Round 8,

1. Mitchell
    2. Gagai
    3. Roberts
    4. Graham
    5. Johnston
    6. Walker
    7. Reynolds (C)
    8. Tatola
    9. Cook
    10. Burgess
    11. Su'a
    12. Sironen
    13. Murray

14. Knight
    15. Lowe
    16. Mago
    17. Sele

This is maybe not so much a 'predicted' Line Up, it's more a 'what I'd like to see' Line Up.

It's time to make a call on Burns, I think he hasn't been good enough overall to keep his spot so Cammy shifts to the left with Jimmy coming into the starting side on the right. Gagai gets put on notice but keeps his spot for this Round in my opinion. In the forward pack, Sironen deserves a start and I'd like to see him swap with Lowe who has been pretty poor. Than, finally, hopefully Mago comes back onto that bench.

7. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Coach

TBH never thought I’d get em but super stoked.

callmack1 likes this.
  8. callmack1

Enjoy it!!! :D

9. Travitoh

Travitoh Bench

I'd dump Gagai for Roberts. Burns hasn't been as bad as has been made out imo and is one of few Souths players who can actually break a tackle and has a decent offload in his game.
    Defensively, he's actually been better (81.6%) than Campbell Graham (76%).

Gagai has had 3 years of opportunity and delivered very little. I would like to see Roberts in his place on the wing where i believe his speed can be used as a weapon on an overlap.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    callmack1 and Go Bunnies like this.
  10. callmack1

Round 8 Line Up vs Bulldogs: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/30/round-eight-line-up-vs-bulldogs/

Pretty happy with that side! Jimmy comes into the starting Line Up for Burns which is good to see. Will be interesting who starts on the left and who starts on the right. This see's Burnsy drop to the bench and the rest of the side remains unchanged from last week. I would have liked to have seen Sironen in the starting side in place of Lowe but I guess it's okay he's on the bench, he just needs more minutes and Lowe needs to step up big time. I'd also probably prefer to not carry a back on the bench (I'd have Sele there) but oh well, I can see Wayne's reasoning.

Still, a good Line Up for this week!

11. Travitoh

Travitoh Bench

I would've preferred to see Burns keep his spot but do like the idea of him playing as a roaming lock against tired legs.

IMO, the HIA/injury cover a back provides on the bench is of greater benefit than 10-15 minutes from the 9th best forward available.

12. callmack1

"Just looking forward to this week." - Tatola: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/30/junior-tatola-media-round-8/

"We're focused on the now and what we can do." - Burgess: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/30/thomas-burgess-media-round-8/

"Execution is the big one for us." - Cook: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/30/damien-cook-media-round-8/

Love the attitude from all the boys there, especially Cookie. He has nailed it when speaking about the situation we currently find ourselves in. It seems the execution and poor dicipline is being addressed which is a good sign.

Training Gallery - Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/30/training-gallery-round-eight/

How 2014 hero Burgess is helping make Bennett’s Bunnies a title chance again: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/6f1951b25769ef8478e3c6486d469d10

Good to see Sammy back!

Peter Sterling says Dane Gagai in danger of losing starting spot in Rabbitohs' logjam: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...s-return/1ec7151d-6648-4d77-8ae8-930d6820fec1

13. callmack1

14. callmack1

15. callmack1

16. callmack1

Coaches Media - Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/07/04/wayne-bennett-media-round-eight/

Looks the focus has really been on holding the ball this week which is what we all want obviously, good signs. However, it's just talk at the moment. We need to see action tomorrow night and we can afford to beat ourselves.

Wayne hinting that Burnsy may play some minutes in the Second Row? Not sure what to make of that.

Travitoh likes this.
  17. callmack1