What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 - Rabbitohs vs Panthers: Thursday 20th April 7:50pm @Accor Stadium

Steenson123

Juniors
I thought you were too. I didn't see you pulling back an 8 point lead. Turuva getting injured messed up our defence on that side, but fair play to your boys for seeing it and taking advantage. No knock on Salmon, but him defending in the centres against Cody and Latrell is a huge ask.
Its an even bigger ask for us to have BOTH Chee-Kam and Jed Cartwright!! Note that BOTH turned the rock over in the crucial last 20 minutes and at least one led to Penrith scores. Your lot are seriously going to miss Crichton: why on earth has Penrith let HIM go? And he is what 22??

Steenson123

Juniors
Hey pal
Teats of joy you say? My missus had to call the ambulance, she thought id had a heart attack,glory glory
.Attention! You stated weeks ago did you not... No Playoffs? Scared to be struggling?
We were never going to miss playoffs the squad is far too skilled for that. The Schedule has been brutal and I note that even Demetriou and the players have openly acknowledged this fact. We are now 5-3 a tremendous effort by both Demetriou, Hornby, Morris and those players and even if we finish this horror Schedule at 5-5 [I believe 6-4 is now realistic] that last 14 or so stretch is far far easier. We can even expect Sir Alex J to at least approach Slater in second place and then set his sights next season on Irvine. What a magic player Johnston has been!!

soc123_au

Staff member
Its an even bigger ask for us to have BOTH Chee-Kam and Jed Cartwright!! Note that BOTH turned the rock over in the crucial last 20 minutes and at least one led to Penrith scores. Your lot are seriously going to miss Crichton: why on earth has Penrith let HIM go? And he is what 22??
Salary cap pretty much. It's frustrating losing players we developed, but thats the price of success I guess. Losing Spencer sucks as well, he is developing into a beast. We have a few kids coming through that have the potential to replace Critta effectively, Spencer not so much.

Botany Rabbit

Juniors
Any new on if Areow will get done for the “crusher”? It’s a rubbish report. But would expect about 5-6 weeks from the inept MRC 🤦🏻‍♂️

callmack1

Staff member
This should be a fun one! After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Attack

Pretty pleasing. I'd honestly go as far to say that they are one of the greatest defensive sides of all time over the past three years, this year included. Normally, you get very limited chances against them, and they don't concede much more than two tries, if that at all. However, we were able to score four tries and pile on 20 points to win the game!! very impressive.

It's not like they had an 'off' defensive night too because so many times throughout the game, especially in the first half, we were throwing a lot at them. Really nice shapes, asking questions, building pressure, repeat sets, almost everything. It was really good offence from us. But they were handling it, their scramble was on another level. I wouldn't say we were really struggling to break through, it was more Penrith's defence being that good. But this is what makes the try's we did score so friggin sweet! Especially the last one to win the game. One of the plays of the century!!

In terms of making yardage, we were pretty good too. It's an area we've always struggled against them, but the boys really stood up, especially the forwards. It was a crazy good performance in that regard. I still think we played a little conservative throughout the game and definitely played within ourselves to start but were able to turn it on when it mattered and that was the difference.

Got to give huge ups to our side for the completion rate too! Probably our best game of the Season in that area. We all know you can't make lots of errors against the panthers and you can't beat yourselves so to see an 85% completion rate was extremely pleasing.

Defence

Pretty happy with the defence over all too. Wouldn't say I'm 100% happy but it was pretty good for the most part. Only two real lapses for two tries, the other off that kick was somewhat lucky. So, there is room for improvement, but we need to remember that this is against one of the best attacking sides this year.

Aside from those three occurrences, Penrith barely looked like scoring. it was mentioned in the Fox call by the commentators that a lot of the plays Penrith did attacking our line, especially kicks to end the set, were a real sign of the Panthers showing respect to our defence because they couldn't find a way through. The boys kept turning up for each other and turning them away. This is probably the first time since the 2021 GF that I have seen us do that with consistent efforts throughout the 80 minutes and actually look really difficult to score against when playing Penrith.

This game is a real testament to how far we've come as a defensive side. It's so impressive and we have to keep going with it.

Player by Player

L.Mitchell: There was some comments during the week that he's never had a 'big' game against Penrith in our colours and to be honest, I thought that was probably a fair call. Well, you certainly can't say that now after TrellMit's performance on Thursday night. His best game of the Season and finally, our main man, our biggest player, turned up and stood up against Penrith. Right from his first touch where he got the ball off a scrum and bumped off two defenders, you could see he was in a mood. The rest of his game followed suit. Kind of changed the game and got us momentum in the buildup to Cook's try with one of the most remarkable flick passes you will ever see! Only Trell could do that. His kick returns were great, his carries were great, and he looked hungry. Constantly went looking for the ball, constantly went looking for physical contact. He was chiming into our attack beautifully with some of his ball playing causing trouble, almost created a few chances. Was rewarded with a great try in the second half. That was an awesome show of strength and power as he had a bit of work to do but still carried defenders over the line with him, bumped off To'o and crashed over. Brilliant stuff. He did make a massive error which led to a Panthers try but to his credit, he did make up for it. Later on, he had a huge hand in our comeback as he was involved in all those breaks, we made out there on the left, including the match winner. Scored his second try by being on the ball and in the right place at the right time. It was this try that really sparked us. 109 meters, a line break, a line break assist, 14 tackle breaks and two tries. So, his efforts with the ball were amazing, his efforts without the ball were decent too. A huge try-saving tackle on Turuva in the second half and made a few other big tackles. Did his best to stop Crichton's first but I would have liked him to be more in the frame on the other two tries. But no doubt Trell was man of the match. I'm a bit in awe of him after that, really proud.

Johnston: Great game for AJ. Defensively, he wasn't too bad. Probably could have done more to help Tass when they scored right before halftime but I'm not going to blame him for their second. The defenders inside him had been sucked in and AJ did everything he could. Brilliant game with the ball in hand! he didn't really get the try-scoring opportunities due to their defence being so good but man, he was good and more than did his bit. Good kick returns and hit ups, got through plenty of work. Found himself in space with come clean ball a couple of times and did really well, tried to set up his support players where he could and almost pulled one off when we made a break in the second half, and he got it back to Trell. Highlight of his game was no doubt the pass in the match winning play. It was quite simply insane. He had nowhere to go, two defenders on him, yet still got an amazing pass away to Cody. The rest is history. Well done AJ! Much more than just a good finisher.

Tass: One of the only ones in our side who you'd say probably didn't have his best night, but I don't think he was as bad as some people are making it out. The biggest gripe is no doubt his defence. A really, really poor effort on Crichton just before half time. He really should have made that tackle, no matter who it is, but he put in a weak effort and arm grabbed. Not good enough. Then, while their second try wasn't directly his fault, he was still involved. Him and Cody got caught up and made a bad read which left AJ all on his own. However, in attack, I think he did pretty well. A massive 162 meters made, you can't fault that, no errors, set up AJ well a few times and genuinely looked dangerous. Then of course, he had his moment. Great support play to put himself in a position to score the match winner. No doubt a career highlight.

Graham: For probably the first time this Season you could say Campbell wasn't a standout. Apart from the remarkable try-saver on Edwards early on, he didn't do anything extremely special. But this isn't to say he was poor. 16 carries for 146 meters speaks for itself. He was amazing coming out of our own end as he just took so many tough hit ups and did so much work. Always put his hand up and they were all quality. Defence as good as ever too. Well done, Stretch.

Milne: Was really nervous about him coming into the game and that feeling was only amplified in the Panthers opening set where we almost conceded a try. Jeez he looked slow, got completely burned. But to his credit, he played really well after that. Great carries out of the backfield on his way to 103. probably the best part though was that he caught ALL of Keary's bombs. Didn't drop a single one. Well done, Taane.

callmack1

Staff member
Walker: Outstanding. Another guy who's had his tough moments against this mob but there were no such issues the other night. Man, he was good, really stood up in a big game. Had a hand in pretty much everything good we did in attack; he was involved in pretty much all those plays somewhere. Even when the defence kept denying us, he was still looking really dangerous and was creating half chances. Great play by him for Trell's first try as (helped by the decoy run from Cartwright) he managed to tie up two defenders and create a bit of space for Trell to do his thing. But the best moment was no doubt that match winning play. It was typical Cody. Always on the ball, always sniffing for an opportunity and that was the case once again as he pushed up on AJ and took that amazing pass, bet an attempted ankle tap which kind of put him in an awkward position but was still good enough to get a miraculous pass away to Tass to set up the winning try. It actually wasn't easy for Cody, mainly due to the ankle tap kind of stumbling him a bit, but he showed his freakish ability and pulled it off. Cody's defence was really really good, almost nothing got past him. Probably my only criticism of him comes on Crichton's second try. He got a bit caught up on Cleary for slightly too long when he didn't really need to because Jed was there. This meant Tass, in turn, made a poor read and they scored in the corner. But aside from that, it was classic Cody in a big game. Loved it!!

Ilias: Was actually really impressed with him the other night. On the biggest stage, in one of the biggest games, he played great! Really bounced back from a few (not bad but) average weeks. Firstly, his kicking game was much better. There was a bit of variety there with bombs, grubbers (one forced a drop out) and a couple of smaller chip kicks. His bombs were going higher, and it was pleasing to see that for the most part, he was kicking them a bit deeper. He even pulled off a really intimidating spiral at one point. Provided the kick for Latrell's second. That was pretty pinpoint. Just goes to show that Lachy can do it, he just needs to do it more consistently. What's more, his defence was really good. But I personally, was absolutely loving his ball playing. Did a great job there. You look at a lot of our best attacking plays in that game, particularly for Latrell's first and the match winner, and Lachy is first or second receiver. He was taking it right to the line, straightening, which ties up defenders, before then executing the pass. Great stuff in that regard. In fact, without Lachy doing what he does, we may not have scored that last try and won the game. It's such an underrated part of his game that he does so well.

Arrow: Brilliant all game, One of our best forwards no doubt. I said it last week and I'll say it again, Jai has been one of our biggest losses in the games he's missed, and Thursday night just proves that. He played big minutes in two different roles but just didn't stop. Really took it to Penrith with his aggressive and direct carries. He was a real workhorse and just didn't stop in both attack and defence. Loved his work.

Cook: Speaking of loving someone's work, I was loving everything that Cooky was doing the other night too! That is probably the best he's performed against Penrith, certainly in a while. he simplified his game and either just ran or just passed. His service was good, and he brought the boys onto the ball well. That try of his was brilliant. Sensed that Eisenhuth and Leota had clocked off a little, reacted quick and brushed his way through, beautiful to see. We hardly ever score tries like that against Penrith. And as always, his defensive work was on point. He topped the tackle count for us with 41.

Sele: Absolutely awesome!!! Jeez I rate this guy!! When he's fit, he's honestly one of the most underrated props in the game. Against one of the best packs in the comp, he really stood out and shone. Played pretty big minutes for him with 50, and he gave it his all the whole time. Barnstorming runs and there was plenty of them. it was quality hit up after quality hit up. Full of power and strength as he just kept those legs pumping. 19 runs for 164 meters. That is simply huge! Love this bloke and he is such a valuable member of the team.

Chee Kam: Not too much to write home about but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Nothing at all special out on that right edge but he just battled away and did his job, both with and without the ball. We certainly missed Keaon but I wasn't unhappy with Cheeks. Although, he almost had a big stuff up on the Tago no-try. he really should have cleaned up that ball.

Host: Not really sure what was going on with him in this game. Been so good the past two weeks but barely did much on Thursday night. Only 25 minutes and just 3 runs for 21 meters. It wasn't because of injury as he came back on late in the game. An interesting one.

Murray: Great, great, great, as per usual. The definition of leading from the front. He was in everything! Quality hit ups, constantly had good go forward and poked his nose through on numerous occasions. A massive 17 runs for 137 meters tells the story. Along with 40 tackles and only 3 missed, once again, he could barely walk at times, he gave that much. Huge effort.

Cartwright: Really not impressed with him aye. Probably the only player I'd really question why he is actually in the side. Largely ineffective and made a really poor error which lead to Crichton's third try. If it wasn't for our remarkable comeback, I'd be fuming at him.

Suluka-Fifita: Pretty short stint, but he certainly did some damage!! Loved his effort and the impact he made. Went full tit on every run. Great to see!!

Burgess: I'd say he was good. However, just being good isn't up to Tom's usual standards. He just seemed a little bit off in this one. Tom kind of admitted that himself in an article on NRL.com after that game where he said he was surprised how much it took him to adjust to coming off the bench again. So, I'd say that was it. Still made a bit of impact and had some great carries, but it just wasn't his usual stuff. He'll be better for the run.

Moale: A little blown away by him in this one! We've seen him really start to build in recent weeks after going a bit off the boil but man, he exploded the other night! A 20-year-old kid having a great game against a champion forward pack, it was so impressive. He just went hard and gave it everything he had in every run. Constantly bent the line. All his carries were quality. We're getting some middles back and Davvy is making a real case to keep his spot. So proud of him.

In conclusion, oh man, what a night!!!! Against a team that has dished out so much pain on us, a team that has been so much better than us and had the wood on us for a long time, a team that has dominated the last two years and probably blocked us to potentially winning two premierships, a team that is again the team to beat this year, a team we hate so much. Not just to beat them, but to beat them in the way we did in the last minute was incredible, So friggin special. It is something I will never forget and will forever be one of my favourite wins, one that sticks out in my mind.

Just so proud of the boys. We did it without Junior, Keaon and Liva too.

This could be Season defining. We have proven to everyone else and more importantly, ourselves, that we can win this comp. We've just sent a warning out.

But there is still work to be done, there is still so much improvement to be made, and there is a long way to go. It's about carrying on with it now.

Enjoy your weekend! I certainly will be after that!

Glory, Glory.

Botany Rabbit

Juniors
NRL site just posted the charges from Friday nights game. And at the bottom of the article it showed the entire round. No charges from our game, which is fantastic news
That’s great news. I thought it was a rubbish penalty at the time.