What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 - Raiders vs Rabbitohs: Thursday 29th April 7:50pm @GIO Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Righteo, it's time for us to dump that game against the Titans and move onto a very important week this week as we go up against the Raiders in Canberra. It's a really big, important week this week as I still see that Raiders as a Premiership threat. Yes, they're going through a rough patch currently, but if they click, they're capable of being one of the best sides in the competition so playing them at home will be a really big test and it'll give us a good indication of where we're at. The trip to Canberra is always a tough one too as GIO Stadium does have a sort of fortress atmosphere. We have a mixed history at that ground too, haveing won some fantastic games there over the years but we've also suffered our fair share of heartbreak, most noteably the 2019 Preliminary Final at this location.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the Raiders loss over the weekend means for us. Them losing three in a row can help us but it can also be extremely dangerous for us. One the one hand, they may be a bit down of confidence and a bit of frustration can creep in but on the other, they'll be absolutely desperate for a win and the bounce back factor will be huge. A quality side like that can be tough when they're that desperate to win so we need to be ready for that on Thursday night. I think the forward battle is the key and that's going to be a big clash against the likes of Papalii, Soliola, James, Whitehead and Young. It's a world-class pack against our world-class pack. We must also to a job on Jack Wighton and Croker in particular which can be easier said then done.

For us this week, we need to be better. While I think we played well last week, there is certainly room for improvement and we'll need to be even better against Canberra. Defence especially will be the focus for this one. Despite the win last week, I'm sure the lads will be disappointed with conceding 30 and we need to tighten that up in a big way. Significantly, we should have a much more settled side this week, we know where all our key players will be playing and I wouldn't be changing the side too much.

Very keen for Thursday night, big clash!!

Travitoh

First Grade
Not sure what to make of Canberra. They've been close the past couple of seasons and remain mostly intact but this season feels like they've gone off the boil. I guess if a team isn't getting better, they're going backwards.

This Souths side is good enough to win most games and this is no different. I can see Cook having success out of dummy-half on the back of our pack pushing them back.

I think they'll try to slow the game down and turn it into a grind. It's important that Souths remain patient. They'll tire and that's when we'll pounce.

Souths to win.

callmack1

Staff member
I'm predicting no changes to the line up this week.

Cody to fullback and Benji to 5/8 worked really well last week and I see no reason to change it, let's hope it produces similar results. Also, I think up against a big Canberra pack, we're better off with four forwards on the bench so Hosty keeps his spot for mine.

The only change that is a possibility is Paulo out on that right wing. We know he picked up that AC joint injury last week and there's some talk he may not be fit. Even without the injury, I think he'd be close to getting dropped anyway. If that proves to be the case, I still think the rest of the backline will stay the same and either Marsters or Moga will come onto that right wing spot. I know they've both struggled a bit in recent weeks for the NSW Cup side but I'd be willing to give either one a chance.

Travitoh

First Grade

Cody to fullback and Benji to 5/8 worked really well last week and I see no reason to change it, let's hope it produces similar results. Also, I think up against a big Canberra pack, we're better off with four forwards on the bench so Hosty keeps his spot for mine.

The only change that is a possibility is Paulo out on that right wing. We know he picked up that AC joint injury last week and there's some talk he may not be fit. Even without the injury, I think he'd be close to getting dropped anyway. If that proves to be the case, I still think the rest of the backline will stay the same and either Marsters or Moga will come onto that right wing spot. I know they've both struggled a bit in recent weeks for the NSW Cup side but I'd be willing to give either one a chance.

Based on last weeks initial team list, i would guess that Marsters is ahead of Moga with Gagai moving out to the wing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sua is dropped from the run on side at least.

Mad Bunny

Juniors

I wish moga or at least burns would get paulo's right wing spot.bennett does like burns though if only burns could stay injury free that would be a great bonus to our current depleted back line minus mansour & mitchell.if burns was injury free he would give mansour a run for his money and if burns did get the right wing spot then mansour may have to fight to get it back when he returns in a months time because after all braiden burns has talent.Remember burns is still only 24 years young...

Mad Bunny

Juniors
Good news tatola passed his protocols so far but if he doesn't pass his hia protocols on game day then hame sele might get the nod i hope tatola passes the last hurdle on Thursday...

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Team List for Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/27/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-eight/

A much more settled line up this week as I'm sure we all predicted. Glad to see Wayne has stuck solid with the combination of Cody at Fullback and Benji at 5/8. Must admit, I am a little surprised to see Paulo named, obviously his injury is allgood but I thought he was a chance of being on the chopping block this week. Massive game for him now, we need to see improvement or he could find himself out of the side. Good to see Junior named, although he'sd still be in some doubt as he needs to pass protocols. Everything else remains unchanged which I'm happy to see!

Solid, settled line up. Thursday can't come soon enough!!

callmack1

Staff member

Travitoh

First Grade
Wayne Bennett Media - Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/28/weve-got-to-be-south-sydney.---bennett/

Rabbitohs Insider 2021 Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/28/rabbitohs-insider-2021-round-8/

Rabbitohs 19-Man Squad for Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/28/rabbitohs-19-man-squad-for-round-eight/

So Junior is out tomorrow night, obviously couldn't pass concussion protocols in time. Jai into the starting side with Mago coming onto the bench.

Good decision. It was always going to be difficult for him after a 6 day turn around.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Wayne Bennett Media - Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/28/weve-got-to-be-south-sydney.---bennett/

Rabbitohs Insider 2021 Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/28/rabbitohs-insider-2021-round-8/

Rabbitohs 19-Man Squad for Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/04/28/rabbitohs-19-man-squad-for-round-eight/

So Junior is out tomorrow night, obviously couldn't pass concussion protocols in time. Jai into the starting side with Mago coming onto the bench.
I like the move.
Obviously Tevita is a significant loss but I like the move to cover it

callmack1

Staff member
Well, it feels like it's come around fast due to the Thursday game but here we are, it's game day!! A significant day and a significant game in the context of our Season I feel because a win would put us in a good position, with the potential to win at least three out of four without Latrell and a loss would see the pressure come on a bit heading into next week. So tonight is a significant occasion to ensure we get the two points. As many have mentioned throughout the week, we don't have a great record in Canberra and it is a pretty tough road trip. We owe them one down there though so let's hope our boys are up for it and can get it done.

Much has been made of the Raiders losing three in a row and some in the media say they're gone. However, I think the fact that they haven't gone well recently could actually be very dangerous for us. The bounce back factor will be massive and they'll be extremely desperate for a win so we are perhaps getting them at the worst possible time. Also, yes, they're missing a couple of their best players but that could make them more dangerous too. Ricky has obviously rested Papalii for a reason so that could actually bring out the best in Canberra.

The bounce back factor will be there for the Raiders but I feel it may also be there for us too. Despite winning last weeks, the boys wouldn't be entirely happy with how we played, especially how we defended so that is a big focus tonight and I'm hoping the boys will be fired up for a better performance tonight, we'll need to be. As always, our completion rate needs to be on too as it was in the second half last week as we cannot give the Raiders an inch or they'll take a mile. What's more, we simply cannot underestimate the Raiders. We cannot go into this game thinking "easy win" or we'll get our pants pulled down. I still see Canberra as a top eight side so we need to turn up with the right attitude tonight.

Kick off can't come soon enough!!