What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs. Gold Coast Titans Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos vs. Gold Coast Titans
Suncorp Stadium, Friday 30 April 2021
Kick Off 7:55pm

BRISBANE-2021.png

1. Jamayne Isaako 2. Xavier Coates 3. Jesse Arthars 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Corey Oates 6. Anthony Milford 7. Tyson Gamble 8. Matthew Lodge 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Jordan Riki 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange: 14. Danny Levi 15. Thomas Flegler 16. Ethan Bullemor 17. Rhys Kennedy

Reserves: 18. Tesi Niu 19. John Asiata 20. David Mead 21. Brodie Croft

GOLDCOAST-2021.png

1. Alexander Brimson 2. Anthony Don 3. Brian Kelly 4. Phillip Sami 5. Corey Thompson 6. Ashley Taylor 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Jarrod Wallace 9. Mitch Rein 10. Moeaki Fotuaika 11. Kevin Proctor 12. David Fifita 13. Tyrone Peachey

Interchange: 14. Erin Clark 15. Jaimin Jolliffe 16. Herman Ese'ese 17. Sam McIntyre

Reserves: 18. Beau Fermor 19. Tanah Boyd 20. Jai Whitbread 21. Darius Farmer​

Big Pete

Referee
You've got to love the NRL draw, back to back rematches.

Also it doesn't appear that Kevie's full-time spray was a show. David Mead, Tom Dearden and Brodie Croft have all been dropped in favour of Jesse Arthars, Anthony Milford and Tyson Gamble. The Dearden omission isn't surprising at all considering he just signed with the Cowboys and has been poor but it's surprising to see an entirely new halves combination.

It's worth noting that the QCup doesn't run this weekend so after playing a leading role in the Magpies 60-10 drubbing against the Cutters Anthony Milford is back. I see it as an audition for both halves and if the Titans do go onto win, Croft will return and partner with the better performer between Milford and Gamble.

Tyson Gamble is very much a stop-gap half. I actually like the selection and feel he should have received an extended opportunity last season when the club needed to show some more backbone. Back in 2019 when he left the Tigers to return home he found himself at a struggling Dolphins outfit who had barely won a game all season. Not long after he joined the club, the Dolphins came up against the undefeated Sunshine Coast Falcons and actually managed to beat them in a close encounter. He's the type of player who stands up in the big moments, it's just a matter of whether the NRL is beyond him.

The backline is looking a lot closer to what I would have predicted at the start of the season. Arthars had his best game of the season for the Seagulls at centre after playing fullback for the bulk of the season. We haven't really had a chance to watch him play in this position before for the club which is odd to me because it seems to be his best position. I have my reservations of him as an NRL player but if he can find some space I think he'll link well with whoever is outside him. He predominately plays right centre, so we may see Farnworth switch back to the left.

I actually expect the Broncos to go close in this one. I think they've named a better team than the one that met the Coast in Round 2 meanwhile the Titans will miss Fa'asuamalueai who was huge for them in that game. Brisbane are a better team at home and I expect to see a closer performance to what we saw against Penrith, not Parramatta. The Eels game I'm almost willing to write off as the Broncos not being able to handle travelling along with the stifling heat. To lose your captain in the training run doesn't help and players were clearly struggling in those conditions. Once Sivo scored his second, it was all over.

gUt

Coach
I must be a poor judge because I thought Mead has been consistently one of our best week to week, especially in defence.

DeeJ

Bench
I must be a poor judge because I thought Mead has been consistently one of our best week to week, especially in defence.

I feel he's been a bit exposed at centre and has a few errors in his game. He was quite good on the wing though.

Nerd

Bench
I've no idea which Broncos team will turn up against the Titans. I'm hoping it's the one that played Penrith but who knows.

Showtime

Juniors
I've no idea which Broncos team will turn up against the Titans. I'm hoping it's the one that played Penrith but who knows.

I could be completely wrong but I’ve got a good feeling about this game for some reason. That being said we’ll probably get done by 50.

blaza88z

Coach
If we play like we did against Penrith and Milford produces some of the stuff he was doing for Souths in the QLD Cup, we will win

Both of those things are unlikely to happen

Big Pete

Referee
Well that has to be one of the most remarkable results in club history.

Down 22 points after the first 15 minutes to finish up 36-28 victors. It's the biggest comeback win in Broncos history and they showed tremendous composure to drag themselves back into the contest.

The defence left a lot to be desired, but the attack was much improved from the Broncos. Gamble really helped organise that right edge and was able to put his attackers into space. It's the first time in years the Broncos identified their strengths and played towards them. Their wingers are their best attacking weapons and when you put the ball through the hands they're far more effective than they are contesting kicks.

Still, I thought the Gold Coast came out at half-time the better team. It all came down to that length of the field intercept by Oates which he had to juggle. If he botches it, it's try time Gold Coast and the Broncos would have struggled from there.

I wouldn't go as far to call it a turning point for the 2021 season, but it turned into a great little chapter between the Titans/Broncos rivalry.

Nerd

Bench
How good was that? I thought Tyson Gamble had a great game and just won himself another shot at 7 next week. Thought our right side defence was much improved and when Isaako learns where to position himself for kicks close to the line it will be even better. Isaako was again rocks and diamonds, yet another kick off out on the full but then some great play and backing up for tries.

Same as against the Panthers if we manage to hang onto the ball we go alright. A win like this is even better when your not expecting it.

blaza88z

Coach
Kevvie cops a lot of shit just because of his personality and all that but there's no way under Seibold if we were 22 points down that the team would've showed the resilience required to come back and be competitive, let alone win

Bronco18

Juniors
What a club debut from Gamble.

He brought all the little things the team needed - some polish and organisation, solid kicking options and confidence! He was right up in the Titans faces and the rest of the team seemed to benefit from it.

Latest posts