What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 - Rabbitohs vs Broncos: Thursday 5th May 7:50pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Onto the next week as we take on the Brisbane Broncos in a Thursday night Round 9 blockbuster. It's going to be another super important match this week because win, and we could find ourselves closer to the top four. Lose, and we could be out of the eight. So the stakes are pretty high and there's plenty riding on this week's match. There's also a lot riding on it in terms of pride. Really want to get the result and get one over those Broncos in this one because they've become one of our great rivals! Ever since that famous coaching swap at the end pf 2018, the hatred between our two clubs has ran pretty strong. It's always a bumper clash with plenty of feeling in it and I expect no different on Thursday night.

This one is going to have some extra added spice to it though because it will be the first time we have ever played Adam Reynolds. The first time he's ever laced a boot against his beloved South Sydney. That's going to be so strange, such a weird feeling but it is what it is. Of course it's going to be talked about, however, we cannot let it be a distraction. He's just another Broncos player for us to smash. No doubt it will add a bit of spice to the rivalry though.

In the past you'd look at a game like this and think "easy win" however, I certainly do not think that is the case this year at all. Brisbane have been a little up and down in terms of their results but when they're on, they can beat anyone. They're not the same team as last year, they're now a potential top eight team so we're going to have to be on our game this week. If they turn it on, they'll be hard to get by as we saw in Round 1 and just look at what they did to Cronulla last week. Not going to be easy to limit the likes of Staggs, Farnworth, Reynolds, Haas, and Capewell but we have to do a job on all those blokes if we want to get the result, particularly Haas and Reynolds for mine. Feel like I say it every week but win the forward battle and we will win this game, it's that important.

For us, once again, it sounds cliche but it really is just about focusing on ourselves and what we can do. We need to get our own house in order and this game presents a perfect opportunity to do so. We'll need a pretty big improvement on last week if we want to beat the Broncos that's for sure. So many areas of our game need to be better but it's defence in particular that needs improving. It hasn't been good enough these past few weeks and Brisbane have some very good outside backs so we gotta be better there. I also want to see us continue to complete at 80% or higher. No good doing it for one game, you've got to do it consistently. And above all else, there should be no complacency at all from our boys this week. None at all.

So it's going to be a cracker of a game back in front of our home fans out there at Accor! A super important game so let's all get behind the boys and do everything we can to get them home. Let Reynolds know he is now the enemy and give it to him!!! Gotta win this one, bring on Thursday night!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think this is definitely a game we should win if we want to be in the 8. The broncos got the better of us last time but we were really poor. I hope we continue to hold onto the ball and give ourselves a chance to win.

We know Reynolds' game better than anyone so we should know that we need to rush him on defence.

callmack1

Staff member
"Lachy is the ultimate professional" - Johnston: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/02/alex-johnston-media-round-nine/

"Our main focus is our defence" - Tatola: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/02/junior-tatola-media-round-nine/

"We're looking to put in a really good performance" - Murray: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/02/cameron-murray-media-round-nine/

'Decision that had to be made' - Reynolds opens up on Souths exit ahead of grudge match: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/4c9f816736db3d5a1470904824e0c0e4

callmack1

Staff member
My predicted line up for Round 9 against the Broncos is,

1. Taaffe
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Havili
15. Sele
16. Moale
17. Knight

Surely Tass keeps that left center spot!! Give him another crack to show us what he can do again! he looks willing and looks exciting. I know he'll be up against Staggs but it will be a good test. If that happens, I think Milne has to go to the right wing, it's only a matter of time before Mansour is out of the side.

The pack speaks for itself, Hame will return which is a boost and I expect Knight to be named tomorrow too. Doesn't mean he'll play but he'll be named.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Was not phased by salary being cut in half just wanted 2 guaranteed years

Mate I like a lot of what you input to this forum but you've got to get over this Reynolds obsession. Souths offered Reynolds a 1 year deal with the 2nd year in his favour. He chose to leave for a longer deal and better pay.

Reynolds is playing to the storyline as we play them this week. He knows the drill and has already started the mind games.

I love Reynolds but I hope we smash him this week and show him he made the wrong decision.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Mate I like a lot of what you input to this forum but you've got to get over this Reynolds obsession. Souths offered Reynolds a 1 year deal with the 2nd year in his favour. He chose to leave for a longer deal and better pay.

Reynolds is playing to the storyline as we play them this week. He knows the drill and has already started the mind games.

I love Reynolds but I hope we smash him this week and show him he made the wrong decision.
Mate they offered him one guaranteed year you keep saying second year in his favour this is false info never happened.

If you read the Daily Telegraph today you can see an article from club legend Craig Coleman who says along the lines of Cody is missing Reyno and he believes Souths made a mistake closing the premiership window as we won’t be top 4 this year.

We can all have our view mate and post and share our opinion.

I hope we win too but lots have said Reyno was greedy let’s get it straight he wasn’t he would’ve taken half the salary if he got a guaranteed second year.

welds2

Juniors
With Adam we would probably not have gone as good as last year but still very good and hard to beat. That situation last year to let him go and to keep our young future stars will be gold in a year or 2. I think our next window is not that far away with young Ilias, Taafe, Moale and co all captained by Cameron Murry. We are 4 and 4 now without Mitchell. If he was fit and not suspended all the time then we would still be in the top 4 now.

truthslayer

Juniors
Just a little opinion that souths reserves are going ok, and jaxson Paulo has been doing ok, we should not lose this guy and I know he has a lot of knockers but I still think better value than mansour. Karapani also played and did well. IM THINKING OUR DEPTH is ok.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Mate they offered him one guaranteed year you keep saying second year in his favour this is false info never happened.

If you read the Daily Telegraph today you can see an article from club legend Craig Coleman who says along the lines of Cody is missing Reyno and he believes Souths made a mistake closing the premiership window as we won’t be top 4 this year.

We can all have our view mate and post and share our opinion.

I hope we win too but lots have said Reyno was greedy let’s get it straight he wasn’t he would’ve taken half the salary if he got a guaranteed second year.

Mate Souths haven't even hit their best form yet and youre already writing us off. Its such a negative standpoint when most of the games we're losing because we're not holding onto the ball. We are still a good side with a new spine. Its nice not to see us so reliant on repeat sets and playing some creative footy. Reynolds had some good points about his playstyle but there were also some negatives which were definitely his lack of a running game and his lack of creativity. He played very structured footy which was a result of Michael Maguire coaching.

Genuine question here. Where are you seeing people calling Reynolds greedy? If anything all I've seen is Souths supporters complaining about how we let him go?

Also that last part is bullshit. Youre kidding yourself if you think Reynolds is going to take a paycut in one of his final contracts.

I also dont know where you're getting your info from because this article says he was offered a 2 year deal.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Just a little opinion that souths reserves are going ok, and jaxson Paulo has been doing ok, we should not lose this guy and I know he has a lot of knockers but I still think better value than mansour. Karapani also played and did well. IM THINKING OUR DEPTH is ok.

I like Paulo. I thought he played really well in the Grand Final last year and is a better option than Mansour. Let's be real his a winger. We can't be dropping people on the basis of one bad game otherwise Cody is f**ked.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Line Up For Round 9 Against Broncos: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/03/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-nine/

Not a bad line up there!! Really happy with it!! So great to see Tass retain that spot and I'm really hoping he can shine and keep it! If so, that's a big problem solved. Not saying he will, but I'm hoping so and I'll back him. Also good to see Hame and Knight return on the bench.

The only negatives for me are Mansour still in the team and Davvy not in the 17 at all, not sure why.

Over all, a very strong team, one of the better ones we've put out this year! Keen as for Thursday night!!

Latest posts