What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 - Rabbitohs vs Tigers: Friday 10th July 7:55pm @Bankwest Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Time to dump that Bulldogs game and quickly shift focus onto the Tigers this week. Another huge game for us on Friday night against a side who is playing good Footy lately. The way the Tigers are playing, and the way the ladder is currently shaping up, it really is a big game for us, a blockbuster! I feel like once again, this will be a really tough game. Wests are no longer a week time so this will be another test of where we're at.

As I said, the Tigers are a strong side this year and will be extremely pumped up for this one. Add to that the fact that I consider the Tigers to be a bit of a bogey team for us and there's no doubt that is a big week. They always seem to aim up and play their best against us, I mean, just look at the last time we met last year. Once again the forward battle is going to be key. Their pack is quality so we need to match them up front.

For us, once again a bit focus will be on ball control. I still wasn't convinced with the amount of errors we made against the Dogs so that needs further improvement coming into this game. I also hope Wayne has a plan on how to go about this week, we always struggle off the five day turnaround and we cannot allow that to be the case here. We should come into this one full of belief and I know the boys can do it!!

Travitoh

First Grade
My gut says Wests will win. They're just playing better footy at the moment. I'd love to be wrong but on current form, very few Souths players would make the Wests Tigers side.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Hopefully bennett can get the boys up for this one. Mentally maybe they weren't in it for the dogs game, like everyone was saying we were expected to win - everyone knew it probs even the bunnies players. If the boys can hold onto the ball and play with a bit more intensity were in with a chance. Take note the tigers pushed the Panthers playing up tempo...
Which for us is like the opposite of how we play
Biiiiiiig danger game.

Another note - I wouldn't be surprised if Reyno is playing a little injured. He has had a couple of back injuries the last couple of years so that may be hindering his performances his kicking game has been average, notably his long kicking and general play. His short kicking game has been fine but we need more from him. Another thing may be the 'c' next to his name might be too much for him?? He's an organiser anyway so everyone hears his voice so it wouldn't be much difference to take the captaincy away from him. Just a thought

Need Walks and Cookie to atleast match their opposites in this one. Grant is a future qld hooker and cookie is the current nsw incumbent so.

Glad Leilua isn't playing tbh that's a big win for us.

Just need the boys play with a bit more energy & enthusiasm & hold onto the ball.. crikey - the basics.. lol

Mr Spock!

Referee
Hopefully bennett can get the boys up for this one. Mentally maybe they weren't in it for the dogs game, like everyone was saying we were expected to win - everyone knew it probs even the bunnies players. If the boys can hold onto the ball and play with a bit more intensity were in with a chance. Take note the tigers pushed the Panthers playing up tempo...
Which for us is like the opposite of how we play
Biiiiiiig danger game.

Another note - I wouldn't be surprised if Reyno is playing a little injured. He has had a couple of back injuries the last couple of years so that may be hindering his performances his kicking game has been average, notably his long kicking and general play. His short kicking game has been fine but we need more from him. Another thing may be the 'c' next to his name might be too much for him?? He's an organiser anyway so everyone hears his voice so it wouldn't be much difference to take the captaincy away from him. Just a thought

Need Walks and Cookie to atleast match their opposites in this one. Grant is a future qld hooker and cookie is the current nsw incumbent so.

Glad Leilua isn't playing tbh that's a big win for us.

Just need the boys play with a bit more energy & enthusiasm & hold onto the ball.. crikey - the basics.. lol
Reyno's captain because he's the only leader there.

Losing Sutton was massive for us.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted Line Up for Round 9,

1. Mitchell
2. Gagai
3. Roberts
4. Graham
5. Johnston
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. T.Burgess
11. Su'a
12. Lowe
13. Murray

14. Knight
15. Sironen
16. Sele
17. Mago

The only change I think we should have this week is Sironen returning from that minor back injury in place of Burns. There's some talk Marsters could be named but I think we'd be better off having four forwards on the interchange, Sironen can cover any backs injuries if we really need it.

bunny hopped

Juniors
We need to play like we are behind on the scoreboard. We played too conservative I thought in the first half last week. Once we got a sniff of points we were good.

callmack1

Staff member
"We're getting ready to go again on Friday." - Reynolds: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/07/07/adam-reynolds-media-round-9/

"I'm enjoying playing in the centres." - Campbell Graham: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/07/07/campbell-graham-round-9-media/

"We're only focussing on the things we can control." - Gagai: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/07/07/dane-gagai-round-9-media/

NSW star Damien Cook warned his Origin spot is in jeopardy: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...ker-spot/a7caebd9-e342-4e95-a51b-1cdfdd6f6473

callmack1

Staff member
Sounds like Benji might return for the Tigers in this one. I don't think that's good news for us.

Training Gallery - Round 9: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/07/08/training-gallery-round-nine/

From Sporting News,

NSW incumbent Damien Cook bats away Peter Sterling's State of Origin selection call

Rabbitohs rake Damien Cook has responded to Peter Sterling's criticism of his form after the league legend suggested the incumbent NSW Blues hooker's Origin spot could be in jeopardy.

Cook has been a mainstay of Brad Fittler's Origin-winning set up for two years now since arriving at South Sydney and setting the NRL alight with his dynamic ruck speed and mountainous work ethic.

The new six-again rule change that emerged from the COVID-19 stand down was thought to owe favourably to Cook's speed-based game, however statistically the 29-year-old hasn't started the year as well as season's past.

And Sterling, who is on the Blues' selection advisory panel, addressed Cook's struggles early this season in Wide World of Sports' Sterlo's Wrap.

"I think you've got to say Damien Cook hasn't jumped out of the blocks completely," he said.

"We all thought that the new changes around the ruck area would certainly suit Damien Cook.

"South Sydney haven't been going that well, so maybe Damien is paying the price for the fact that the side aren't going particularly well."

In pointing out Cook's slower start to the year, Sterling highlighted the form shown from Penrith recruit Api Koroisau, who along with Harry Grant has been the NRL's form hooker throughout the season.

The 13-time NSW Blues great suggested Koroisau's combination with Nathan Cleary could dramatically propel him into Origin selection.

"Api has been a great buy," Sterling added.

"What he's doing through the middle there in taking his forwards forward for the Penrith side, and we keep talking about the mobility of the side, is what's making it very easy for Nathan Cleary to operate.

"Nathan Cleary, we keep talking about how well he's going, he'll probably be the halfback (for NSW) and they look at combinations, club combinations (when picking an Origin side)."

Made aware of Sterling's comments, Cook insisted he was unfazed at the prospect of competition for his Origin spot and defended his form this season for the Rabbitohs.

"To be honest, I've learned from Freddy as much as you can not to read too much into what everyone else is saying," Cook told Sky Sports Racing's Big Sports Breakfast.

"There's always going to be competition out there and that's the best thing for you, it brings the best out of players, but you've just got to keep doing your job for your team.

"Personally, for my form at the moment, Wayne's been quite happy with where I'm at and the way I've been building my game each week and the job he wants me to do for the team he says I've been doing it.

"I've just got to continue doing that and those things sort of things take care of themselves."

With this year's Origin series pushed back to November after the NRL grand final, Fittler has raised the prospect of the selection of players from teams that miss finals being impacted.

Off the back of the form shown by Koroisau and Cleary, Penrith has firmed as serious premiership contenders, sitting in second on the ladder behind Parramatta having lost just the one game as well as drawn with Newcastle.

Meanwhile, South Sydney's form has been fluctuant with their three wins since the competition returned coming against the Warriors, Titans and Bulldogs.

Spot On

Coach
Yeah, Cookie may not be in vintage form but Sterlo came up with Nathan Peats selection for NSW a few yrs ago. Not too fused about Sterlo's opinion in this case.

Great Api gives us an option should something happen to Cook.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
Yeah, Cookie may not be in vintage form but Sterlo came up with Nathan Peats selection for NSW a few yrs ago. Not too fused about Sterlo's opinion in this case.

Great Api gives us an option should something happen to Cook.

When Peats played origin, Sterling wasn't the only one calling for him to play. Peats was the unanimous 9 in a bad NSW team.

If the NSW 9 jersey was currently vacant, i doubt Cook would currently be in the conversation for the position. However there are still 4 months until origin, anything can happen in that time.

Spot On

Coach
When Peats played origin, Sterling wasn't the only one calling for him to play. Peats was the unanimous 9 in a bad NSW team.

If the NSW 9 jersey was currently vacant, i doubt Cook would currently be in the conversation for the position. However there are still 4 months until origin, anything can happen in that time.

No brainer for mine sticking with Cook. He'd have to lose a leg to lose the jersey.

Sterlo's opinion carried a lot of weight they year Peats played. It was like a coup getting him to agree to be involved.

And he was super keen on Peats.

Travitoh

First Grade
No brainer for mine sticking with Cook. He'd have to lose a leg to lose the jersey.

Sterlo's opinion carried a lot of weight they year Peats played. It was like a coup getting him to agree to be involved.

And he was super keen on Peats.

Everyone was super keen on Peats. He was regularly referred to as a future NSW 9 in the seasons leading to his debut.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Time to dump that Bulldogs game and quickly shift focus onto the Tigers this week. Another huge game for us on Friday night against a side who is playing good Footy lately. The way the Tigers are playing, and the way the ladder is currently shaping up, it really is a big game for us, a blockbuster! I feel like once again, this will be a really tough game. Wests are no longer a week time so this will be another test of where we're at.

As I said, the Tigers are a strong side this year and will be extremely pumped up for this one. Add to that the fact that I consider the Tigers to be a bit of a bogey team for us and there's no doubt that is a big week. They always seem to aim up and play their best against us, I mean, just look at the last time we met last year. Once again the forward battle is going to be key. Their pack is quality so we need to match them up front.

For us, once again a bit focus will be on ball control. I still wasn't convinced with the amount of errors we made against the Dogs so that needs further improvement coming into this game. I also hope Wayne has a plan on how to go about this week, we always struggle off the five day turnaround and we cannot allow that to be the case here. We should come into this one full of belief and I know the boys can do it!!
Yes what a blockbuster it’s gonna be. It’s gonna be a tough one. This is like a 4 point game as we are fighting with the Tigers for a spot in the 8. We simply have to just complete our sets well and be disciplined. Looking to get quick play the balls will help Cookie get into the game. Hopefully we get a few more 6 agains as well as we’ve only had 3 six agains the past two weeks and you’d think we are due some of those 50/50 calls as they haven’t gone our way of late.

Talk is Benji is gonna play as well.

We will have a good home crowd out there this Friday Night I’m certain getting right behind the boys. I’ll be in full voice. I’ve got a lot of mates as well who live in my area who are diehard Souths members and they are all heading out there.

Latrell tends to have a big game against the Tigers so hoping he does again.

No BJ Leilua and Twal does hurt the Tigers a bit. We need to watch for Douiehi and Nofoaluma though as both can change momentum with a strong run. On the other hand we need to target Nofoaluma’s wing as he does rush in a lot.

I feel we have more class than the Tigers and can get home in a tight one.

Spot On

Coach
Everyone was super keen on Peats. He was regularly referred to as a future NSW 9 in the seasons leading to his debut.

Really? Lack of depth may have been the largest factor for those that were 'keen'. Otherwise, he was super bland.

Travitoh

First Grade
Really? Lack of depth may have been the largest factor for those that were 'keen'. Otherwise, he was super bland.

Really. He was rated as one of the best young hookers in his time with Parra and early GC career. He was even praised for his workrate in games 1 and 2 of the 2017 series. Only when NSW fizzled in game 3 was he suddenly considered not good enough.
You're not far off in terms of the talent pool but that doesn't take away from the fact that he had earnt his start at the time.